Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provided chargers at shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭innrain

Now that the Decathlon chargers are paid for don't you think it would have been a better idea that at leas two of them to be DC Rapids?
    45 mins there would cost 1.5 quid and give you a range of 30km. Their usage will be nearing zero. How many parking spaces has Deca 100? On the other hand DCU/Helix which is a workplace/theater venue where people could stay 3-8 h has one rapid @1400 parking spaces. Bit backwards

• Registered Users Posts: 21,553 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

7.4kW is pretty pathetic for a store where a bank of 22kW would be easy.
    Even if we accept 7kW as the supply limit due to lack of 3ph, then 10* 7kW would at least be better as you could rely on them.

unkel wrote: »
    If you're up for a chat, I'll be across the road. Charging at 3 times the speed, for free, with no overstay penalties :p

It's not free at decathlon anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Felexicon wrote: »
    10 charge points at the front of the store.

You have to call in to the shop to get a fob to start charging.

Well that isn't going to last long. The fobs will all go missing with people going off with them, keeping them because they work in the area and want to use the charger every day, or handing them over to the next person in the charger queue.

Good idea in theory, but in real life practice, it won't work at all.

Well that isn't going to last long. The fobs will all go missing with people going off with them, keeping them because they work in the area and want to use the charger every day, or handing them over to the next person in the charger queue.

It's already ended - they are now pay for use and you must use an easygo account

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's already ended - they are now pay for use and you must use an easygo account

Of course it did. How anybody could be so utterly dense as to think handing out fobs willy nilly was going to be a workable solution, I don't know. It was a stupid idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,977 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Didn't know the Decathlon charge points were no longer free. Goes to show, I very rarely charge in public and when I do, it is mostly out of curiosity or if I have nothing better to be at

I guess my local Lidls Easy Go charge points will remain free for the moment though, even though they seem to be very popular with PHEV drivers trying to save themselves €0.15 in electricity :rolleyes:

Eh yeah. Read the thread and that is indeed what happened :p

Free 22kW public charging is not to be sniffed at - when you can take a reasonable amount (at least 11kW but ideally 22kW). It's pointless sitting there for 4+ hours in a phev taking 3kW!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Eh yeah. Read the thread and that is indeed what happened :p

Twice!

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

OMG!
    They finally did it, but couldn't be decent enough to offer it for free, or offer a decent speed unit

Easygo app also suggests it's got a penalty fee after 2 hours guaranteed with IKEA.

Facebook suggesting 2 for now, but more coming in 2021.

• Advertisement

miamee wrote: »
    I came across these new chargers in the red car park in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre yesterday. There is a new Aldi due to open there soon so I am assuming that they have had them installed but I don't know that for sure. There are 2 sockets per unit (8 total) but only 4 spaces marked as EV charging spaces. You could charge from the spots behind too if available.
    They look live on the Plugsurfing app. Well, at least two of them and one appears in use 28c kWh
    attachment.php?attachmentid=536275&stc=1&d=1608111181

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭zg3409

innrain wrote: »
    They look live on the Plugsurfing app. Well, at least two of them and one appears in use 28c kWh
    attachment.php?attachmentid=536275&stc=1&d=1608111181

Note there is only one socket per pillar, 4 total with one showing in use 3 days later, 2 offline and one available. At 7kW Max there are not that useful but Blanchardstown is the bussiest EV area in Ireland so more and more needed.

Yes. I think it is just a compliance install. One they will break there won't be any maintenance and they will be ICEd more than used. Although if I remember parking rules are quite well enforced at Blanch SC. I hope to be proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

zg3409 wrote: »
    Note there is only one socket per pillar, 4 total with one showing in use 3 days later, 2 offline and one available. At 7kW Max there are not that useful but Blanchardstown is the bussiest EV area in Ireland so more and more needed.

Useful enough for somewhere like Blanch, I would imagine. That's the sort of place some people would spend upwards of 3-4 hours hanging around in.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MJohnston wrote: »
    Useful enough for somewhere like Blanch, I would imagine. That's the sort of place some people would spend upwards of 3-4 hours hanging around in.

And possibly travel to from up to 100km out from the N/M3......

Quick shop at the local Lidl and arrived to see an Outlander occupying the easy go charging spaces, not even plugged in. Are outlander drivers the Audi drivers of the electric world?

LOL, from my experience they are nowhere near as bad as the owners of €100,000 BMW, Audi and Mercedes PHEV cars. Saving themselves €1 for plugging in

LOL, from my experience they are nowhere near as bad as the owners of €100,000 BMW, Audi and Mercedes PHEV cars. Saving themselves €1 for plugging in

Oh there was an ICE BMW with the engine running, no one in it and doors locked sitting in the car park.

Keeping up with appearances

Quick shop at the local Lidl and arrived to see an Outlander occupying the easy go charging spaces, not even plugged in. Are outlander drivers the Audi drivers of the electric world?

Sallynoggin? White Outlander?

Sallynoggin? White Outlander?

Wilton Cork, black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Clamping works but not likely in private or free spaces.

Bit off topic but there's two cars clamped at Parnell Square West eCars slow charge point. Beware as the city council certainly do clamp when parking isn't paid for.

Both these cars camping while not charging is a different story though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭zg3409

Lidl hillview(Belfast)
    Lidl Newtownards (NI)
    Lidl Tipperary
    Lidl Portlaoise
    Lidl Wicklow
    Lidl Newross

All coming in 2021 according to easygo Facebook with 22kW AC along with the existing 42 lidl sites in ROI & NI all with 22/11kW AC, except for Drogheda which has 50kW DC triple head often broken

https://www.facebook.com/EasyGo.ie/

Not all have 22kW. Some have only 11kW and are advertised as 22kW and vice versa. Also a pity that Lidl are not installing 50kW DC chargers that would suit more people with more EVs while they are doing a 30 minute Lidl shop. They have one in Drogheda but it has been broken since forever.

Kudos to Lidl anyway for providing free electricity for their customers with EVs. Unlike Tesco, who are just trying to green wash themselves. It ain't working lads, you Brits have got a lot of things wrong in recent years...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

zg3409 wrote: »
    All coming in 2021 according to easygo Facebook with 22kW AC along with the existing 42 lidl sites in ROI & NI all with 22/11kW AC, except for Drogheda which has 50kW DC triple head often broken

https://www.facebook.com/EasyGo.ie/

Only post them in the New Charge Point notification thread as they come online

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Frustratingly, Dundrum Town Centre have blocked off several levels of their main car park, I guess because most of the shops are closed, and that includes the two levels with the banks of chargers. It’s unclear to me why they couldn’t have kept one of those levels open at least, but I’m glad I wasn’t relying on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

MJohnston wrote: »
    Frustratingly, Dundrum Town Centre have blocked off several levels of their main car park, I guess because most of the shops are closed, and that includes the two levels with the banks of chargers. It’s unclear to me why they couldn’t have kept one of those levels open at least, but I’m glad I wasn’t relying on them!

They did the same last Spring too. Very annoying. I wonder if it's related to the shops the are still open, i.e. R3 for Tesco, R-1 for M&S.

Not all have 22kW. Some have only 11kW and are advertised as 22kW and vice versa. Also a pity that Lidl are not installing 50kW DC chargers that would suit more people with more EVs while they are doing a 30 minute Lidl shop. They have one in Drogheda but it has been broken since forever.

Kudos to Lidl anyway for providing free electricity for their customers with EVs. Unlike Tesco, who are just trying to green wash themselves. It ain't working lads, you Brits have got a lot of things wrong in recent years...

50kw unit in Drogheda has been swapped for a 22kw AC unit.

Well, fair enough, it's an upgrade on the current single AC only (as DC never worked)..

EasyGo are on the right track putting 50kW DC units in SuperValu's, that's where they'll win... (a place where people would spend 20-40 minutes - take note Tesco).
    Hopefully they are backed up with good support if they ever fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,947 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

What??? That was the only 50kW in the whole town! Who's bright idea was that I wonder?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

What??? That was the only 50kW in the whole town! Who's bright idea was that I wonder?

but it hasn't worked in months/years..... 1 car could charge on it, using the AC. Now at least 2 cars can charge on AC, so the only ones losing out are Zoe drivers (assuming the AC on this unit could put out more than 22kW)

Advertisement