Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provided chargers at shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zg3409

What??? That was the only 50kW in the whole town! Who's bright idea was that I wonder?

I think charger was broken and could not be fixed. There is an ESB 44kW DC charger in Drogheda in Bolton square

50kW DC at all lidl and tesco would really be transformative , but looks like they are only commiting to AC for now. A few tescos have DC units for a long time and they are busy, but maybe not busy enough to justify install cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

zg3409 wrote: »
    I think charger was broken and could not be fixed. There is an ESB 44kW DC charger in Drogheda in Bolton square

50kW DC at all lidl and tesco would really be transformative , but looks like they are only commiting to AC for now. A few tescos have DC units for a long time and they are busy, but maybe not busy enough to justify install cost.
    These were ecars units installed in 2012-2014 for the most part, where the DC chargers literally went anywhere the landowner would allow.
    Like Tesco Naas, a terrible location.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

zg3409 wrote: »

EasyGo announced a partnership with SuperValu, installing 50kW units in their carparks. The 1st one is live in Clonakilty. And if they get enough of them out there and installed in SuperValu's they'll clean up!!

Tesco made its bed with eCars, and delivered the completely wrong type of chargers to the completely wrong location!! - EasyGo will be doing the same of course at Lidl's, but at least it's free..

The SuperValu 50kW DC units could be a game changer for EV adoption here.
    Go to SuperValu 1-2 times a week, and get your entire week's charging done while your in getting queuing for your groceries etc...

Tesco really missed a trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭403 Forbidden

EasyGo announced a partnership with SuperValu, installing 50kW units in their carparks. The 1st one is live in Clonakilty. And if they get enough of them out there and installed in SuperValu's they'll clean up!!

Tesco made its bed with eCars, and delivered the completely wrong type of chargers to the completely wrong location!! - EasyGo will be doing the same of course at Lidl's, but at least it's free..

The SuperValu 50kW DC units could be a game changer for EV adoption here.
    Go to SuperValu 1-2 times a week, and get your entire week's charging done while your in getting queuing for your groceries etc...

Tesco really missed a trick.

Oh, that's great! Don't know if there is any room at my local SuperValu tho! Thanks for the good news!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Finally a shop based network I can support. I've been having a weird case of imposter syndrome thinking I've been using Supermarkets wrong because I don't spend 2 hours dithering around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

liamog wrote: »
    Finally a shop based network I can support. I've been having a weird case of imposter syndrome thinking I've been using Supermarkets wrong because I don't spend 2 hours dithering around.

I think 2 hours in Tesco would be enough to make me scream

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

EasyGo announced a partnership with SuperValu, installing 50kW units in their carparks.

Was that actually announced across the board?

I know the Clonakilty one went live but that, to my knowledge, wasnt a Musgrave Group decision but an individual Supervalu owner decision?

KCross wrote: »
    Was that actually announced across the board?

I know the Clonakilty one went live but that, to my knowledge, wasnt a Musgrave Group decision but an individual Supervalu owner decision?

Not an official announcement, but they said on Twitter it would be the first of many. I'd say the plan is to go to each SuperValu individually as that's how they are owned, and work with them. Hopefully as they do more and more of them, it will snowball.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,108 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Not an official announcement, but they said on Twitter it would be the first of many. I'd say the plan is to go to each SuperValu individually as that's how they are owned, and work with them. Hopefully as they do more and more of them, it will snowball.

I’ve been hitting my local SuperValu for a few years now to do something around chargers. All I get is a diversion to Musgraves sustainability team who don’t seem that interested and cite costs and local owners having to pay.

So it will be down to each store owners openness and forward thinking. I’d say a lot of them will see the DC charge cost and decide they’ll never make that back and go the AC route. EasyGo’s business plan will hopefully help.

Time to fire off another email again I think. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭Jofspring

What is the cost to install these chargers at shops/centres?

The crescent in Limerick is a very big shopping centre that charges huge rent. From what I can see they don't have any chargers. The only one is at the county council building next to it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Jofspring wrote: »
    What is the cost to install these chargers at shops/centres?

The crescent in Limerick is a very big shopping centre that charges huge rent. From what I can see they don't have any chargers. The only one is at the county council building next to it.

Roughly speaking a 2x22kW AC charge point costs around €8,000 a 50kW DC charger costs around €25,000. Network costs are broadly similar. The DC charger will have a higher maintenance cost over time, as the for AC charge points the complicated bits are in the car, whereas the DC charger does the conversion in the unit.

Wow, saucey enough alright. In the grander scheme of things it would be worth it but from looking around Limerick there is an extreme lack of EVs in general. So can see what the uptake here is so small/slow. The last few days that I had to do my shopping I made it my business to keep an eye out for EVs. Didn't see a single car in three trips in the city.

Doesn't help when dealerships are pushing other cars too. My father looked at the Niro and the sales man was doing everything to get him to go for the PHEV instead of the EV.

Be great if the day came when you went into a shopping centre and there was an entire section for EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

Roughly speaking a 2x22kW AC charge point costs around €8,000 a 50kW DC charger costs around €25,000. Network costs are broadly similar. The DC charger will have a higher maintenance cost over time, as the for AC charge points the complicated bits are in the car, whereas the DC charger does the conversion in the unit.

Do those costs include getting power to the charge point? Car parks probably aren't typically spec'd with 50kW power supplies even if the shopping centre itself has plenty of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,062 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

markpb wrote: »
    Do those costs include getting power to the charge point? Car parks probably aren't typically
    spec'd with 50kW power supplies even if the shopping centre itself has plenty of power.

Most shops I've seen have a substation out in the car park, easy enough to put a few chargers beside it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

markpb wrote: »
    Do those costs include getting power to the charge point? Car parks probably aren't typically
    spec'd with 50kW power supplies even if the shopping centre itself has plenty of power.

The supply to a dual 22kW AC and a 50kW DC (like EasyGo install at Lidl, and eCars at Tesco) is basically the same. So the choice between the two is pretty much only down to hardware and maintenance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

EasyGo announced a partnership with SuperValu, installing 50kW units in their carparks.
    Not an official announcement, but they said on Twitter it would be the first of many.

Wasn't it they who recently said they were looking at up to 180, DC chargers at former Eir telephone boxes too?

There must be some amount of capital investment behind them, to be rolling out these hundreds of DC chargers.
    Did I miss them on Shark Tank? Is Mark Cuban involved?

:D.

In fairness, they, apparently, are Ireland's best/largest/fastest/greenest EV charging network!!

Not knocking it and these odd 50kW DC chargers are welcome, but it's ridiculous at this stage, the glacial speed of infrastructure improvement :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,696 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I disagree. One off installs of 50kW in the middle of towns are frankly useless.

We need banks of multi speed (eg 3*50kW and 2 150kW) chargers on main roads in and out of towns and transit routes. No good having a SPOF 50kW unit in some random town when the motorway is 10km from it!

My car maxes out the 50kW charger for 1.25 hours before I hit 80%.

EasyGo are going to put 180 of these 50kW DC units in, replacing unused Eir phone boxes. Thats probably a reasonably big order, and I'd only imagine they would be getting a lot more units in than just the 180 for Eir.. There's got to be some bulk buying discount to be had in a deal like that?

Surely they'd simply approach a SuperValu and ask for 2 parking spaces in their carpark, and a power supply. Pay for the power used and a nominal rental fee. SuperValu can green wash it, and EasyGo have a network.

Payback might still be a bit longer for them, but they are putting in a usable fast charging network, where it needs to be for mass EV adoption when it comes, particularly rural. It's expansion where expansion needs to be, and you'd guess support would expand too.

meanwhile at ecars, 3 cars can charge simultaneously on 3-4 intercity routes, just as long as one of them is a Leaf...

Kramer wrote: »
    Wasn't it they who recently said they were looking at up to 180, DC chargers at former Eir telephone boxes too?

Yep;

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/machines/eir-easygo-convert-phone-boxes-ev-charging-points

Small rural towns will end up with 2 50kW DC chargers if they get a phone box one, and their SuperValu get one in..
    Even the DC phone box ones alone will probably kill off the eCars AC22's dotted around. People will want quick 20-30 minute top ups while their doing other stuff, not at a petrol station.

Then let eCars Finally sort out the intercity routes with actual 8+ car hubs....

EasyGo are going to put 180 of these 50kW DC units in, replacing unused Eir phone boxes.

No they won't. Not in a million years.

• Advertisement

No they won't. Not in a million years.

What makes you say that? They made a big announcement about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,316 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

One of the things missing from this discussion are the ESB network costs, which are significant.
    I am looking at a bill here for 70kVA connection, [10k kWh at 8 cents , 5k at 5 cents costing 1,100 euro], the one month bill is 3,000 euro when all the fixed and other costs are added.
    The monthly fixed costs are 800 euro so the economics are just not there for shops.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

One of the things missing from this discussion are the ESB network costs, which are significant.
    I am looking at a bill here for 70kVA connection, [10k kWh at 8 cents , 5k at 5 cents costing 1,100 euro], the one month bill is 3,000 euro when all the fixed and other costs are added.
    The monthly fixed costs are 800 euro so the economics are just not there for shops.

How are the economics workable for a 2x22kW AC connection but suddenly aren't for a 44kW DC connection, the grid connection is the same. A 50kW DC connection is not an order of magnitude over the dual AC pillars.

It wouldn't be the first time a company spouted pure BS for some free column inches. Michael O'Leary perfected it.

Previous thread here.
    From that:
    If the headline/text from that article is from the voice interview, it is very misleading. It's a 3 minute odd interview - listen back.

He said "up to", purposely, each & every time. The interviewer even quoted him back with "up to". Up to 180 could mean 10 or 50 or 100.

Free advertising as mentioned, for Eir & EasyGo.

A nothing burger, in modern parlance :D.

I see they've confirmed a €10 million private equity investment so they'll have some bank, but it's still just free advertising, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

They won’t do it because the entire premise is ridiculous.

Phone boxes require almost zero power. Certainly nothing like a DC charge point. It’s like saying they’re going to build zinc mines on old stop signs.

Phone boxes are on footpaths. They’re not parking spaces and they don’t come with parking spaces So even if the phone boxes had all the power needed, they still need to work with all the councils to re-assign public roadspace to parking for a private company. Not of all them will be suitable for parking.

So if there’s no space and there’s no power, why start off with phone boxes in the first place? You wouldn’t. You would work with landowners who already have the parking spaces, who have a good power supply, who benefit from the passing trade that a charge point brings and who have the capital to invest in a profit sharing arrangement.

Phone boxes is better PR though because everyone knows a phone box near them that is never used.

Also a lot phone boxes have been replaced long ago. I know in Limerick city a good few phone boxes have been rolling advertising signs for about 3 or 4 years now.

How are the economics workable for a 2x22kW AC connection but suddenly aren't for a 44kW DC connection, the grid connection is the same. A 50kW DC connection is not an order of magnitude over the dual AC pillars.

I am not making any 'comics judgment here.

I trust by grid connection you mean setting up the infrastructure which is CapEx up front and can be grant aided.

My focus here is on the OpEx, which is recurring and not grant aided

I know the last 2 by 22 in a paid car park we did we kept the MIC at 29.

The current PSO levy rates for businesses from 1st of October 2020 to 30th September 2021 are:

PSO where MIC < 30kVA = €21.41 per month (Excl. VAT)
    PSO where MIC => 30kVA = €2.78 per kVA per month (Excl. VAT)

850 kW used in Dec 2021 across all four: 121 euro +Vat
    MD peak 7.4 A

No I'm talking about the ongoing grid connection. Circontrol Raption 50 (as used by eCars) requires 53kVA supply to operate at it's full 50kW potential.
    The eVolve Smart T (2x22kW AC chargers installed by eCars) requires a 44kVA supply.

We also know that operators can restrict the available output of the Circontrol Raption 50 so it can operate via the same supply previously used for the dual AC pillar.
    So where is the extra coming from?

No I'm talking about the ongoing grid connection. Circontrol Raption 50 (as used by eCars) requires 53kVA supply to operate at it's full 50kW potential.
    The eVolve Smart T (2x22kW AC chargers installed by eCars) requires a 44kVA supply.

We also know that operators can restrict the available output of the Circontrol Raption 50 so it can operate via the same supply previously used for the dual AC pillar.
    So where is the extra coming from?

Don't quite follow, so have attached bill for 90kVA, if you can paste it in great.

IIRC , for AC, the only one that can use the full 22 is the Zoe so if you stay below 29 kVA then the PSO levy is much smaller and pay the excess charges if you happen to breach the 29.

I will ask the OGP fro the rates behind the makeup of the rest of the bill as they set the prices for the suppliers who win the contract.
    Throttling back is fine, however the MIC is key and until there is increased usage we will stay at 29 for the 22's, there is no charge for increasing the MIC, but there is to reduce.
    Keep well

541250.jpg

• Advertisement

Taking the capacity charge from that illustration, looks like €3.15/kVA for the capacity charge and €2.78/kVA for the PSO Levy.

So to fully connect a Circontrol Raption 50 in DC only mode = 53kVA * (€3.15 + €2.78) = €314.29.
    Whereas the eVolve Smart T = 44kVA * (€3.15 + €2.78) = €260.92

If it's the extra €55 making the DC charge uneconimical, then the operator could restrict the charger to 44kW at which point both units will cost 44kVA * (€3.15 + €2.78) = €260.92

I can't see how a capacity charge, makes the 50kW (44kW) DC charger uneconomical over a 2x22kW AC charger, unless the operator actually restricts the unit so it isn't really a 2x22kW AC charge, it's really a 1x22kW+1x7kW to stay under the 29kVA ceiling.
    In which case, I'd then argue they should restrict the DC charger to the same 29kVA ceiling.

Advertisement