Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provided chargers at shops

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

liamog wrote: »
    Was at Kildare Village at the weekend, the carpark with the chargers is still open access.

Thanks, did you pre book a spot and was it that where you had to park? Might just have to tell them we want an EV spot (subject to availability).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

wait, you have to prebook a space at kildare village?
    That's silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭innrain

Car park A is right hand side.
    You just tell the parking attendant you want to charge. If there is an available space they let you take left.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

ELM327 wrote: »
    wait, you have to prebook a space at kildare village?
    That's silly.

Yep and looking last night some slots are already fully booked tomorrow.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Thanks, did you pre book a spot and was it that where you had to park? Might just have to tell them we want an EV spot (subject to availability).

No, I didn't. They are letting people who drive up use the car park on the left. To be honest I didn't know they had a pre book system. I was there on Saturday afternoon, there were plenty of spaces in the open car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

does anyone know who operates the ev charging in the frascati shopping centre in blackrock?

doesnt appear to be e-cars, not sure how you get a charge from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Cyrus wrote: »
    does anyone know who operates the ev charging in the frascati shopping centre in blackrock?

doesnt appear to be e-cars, not sure how you get a charge from it.

Last time I was in there it was just plug and charge

• Registered Users Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

MJohnston wrote: »
    Last time I was in there it was just plug and charge

didnt seem to work for me but who knows, it did say swipe card on the screen but perhaps it doesnt matter

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Rathfarnham shopping centre (spotted on Facebook)

Nice that it’s tethered too....

521287.jpeg

Looks like Decathlon aren’t handing out the fobs anymore, and the security guy just comes out and starts the charge for you.... so cheers to all the folks who took a fob and kept it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

What's the story with the big announcement of ESB charge points at Tesco shops? One went in on the old Tesco shop in Lucan a few days ago.

Once the free slow charging finishes in a few weeks time, will these charge point be chargeable or will they be free for Tesco customers? A bit like parking is free in Dundrum if you shop in Tesco? Or you get a discount on Tesco petrol stations if you have a recent Tesco shop receipt? If not, then what's the whole point of getting them at all these stores?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

unkel wrote: »
    What's the story with the big announcement of ESB charge points at Tesco shops? One went in on the old Tesco shop in Lucan a few days ago.

Once the free slow charging finishes in a few weeks time, will these charge point be chargeable or will they be free for Tesco customers? A bit like parking is free in Dundrum if you shop in Tesco? Or you get a discount on Tesco petrol stations if you have a recent Tesco shop receipt? If not, then what's the whole point of getting them at all these stores?

when we double the current EV numbers there isn't going to be enough charge points so more infra the better. Also would prefer if charge points had some cost, as i see the same reg plates parked all day in numerous spots.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If not, then what's the whole point of getting them at all these stores?

It's just greenwashing, we install a charger that isn't really useful for people spending a normal time in a supermarket and appear to be doing something for the environment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Looks like Decathlon aren’t handing out the fobs anymore, and the security guy just comes out and starts the charge for you.... so cheers to all the folks who took a fob and kept it...

Been like that since the first weekend. They made the mistake over the first week to hand out fobs.

I spoke to a guy working on the one in Tesco Rush the day after it was installed, and he told me it would be just regular eCars pricing from August 10th.
    So little to no incentive to actually use them.

Incidentally the one in Rush now has a sign up and painted spaces so at least it looks the part.

522178.jpeg

Well if it's paid for like all other ecars SCPs, theres no benefit to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

it would be just regular eCars pricing from August 10th.
    So little to no incentive to actually use them.

This has to be the most ridiculous idea yet, for ECars SCPs.
    The vast majority of cars can only charge at 7kW on these.
    Most larger Tescos are out of town/city centres, with little amenities nearby.
    Most people spend, at most I would guess, an hour shopping in a Tesco.

So rock up for your shopping, drag out your own charging cable, quite likely in the pouring rain, scan RFID/app, connect up, reverse one hour later.

To gain 7kWhs, or likely 30-40kms range, at a cost of €2.50, for €0.50 worth of electricity (home, night rate).
    They will be covered in moss & algae before too long :D.

Who comes up with this stuff :confused:.

It's just greenwashing, we install a charger that isn't really useful for people spending a normal time in a supermarket and appear to be doing something for the environment.

Average time spent in a supermarket in the UK in 2013 was 47 minutes.
    Enough for 60km in an i3, and any other 11kW types.

Seems pretty useful to me.

(you specifically focused on time, not cost, so I'm not factoring cost in here)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Tesco in Wexford is supposed to get these installed, which would be great... if the car park didn't have a 2 hour maximum stay. :D

Average time spent in a supermarket in the UK in 2013 was 47 minutes.
    Enough for 60km in an i3, and any other 11kW types.

An excellent example of just how useless these chargers are, who in their right mind needs to add 60km of range whilst doing their weekly shop. Assuming you've bought a car with around 300km of range (i.e. a modern EV), the 60km is only going to be useful on days where you need between 300km and 360km, I suspect for most people, they don't do that kind of mileage on days that they are also doing their weekly grocery shopping.

• Advertisement

If it were free it would be a good value add but I wont be paying for it.

They're good for PHEV drivers, they can fill their battery, and have that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that they can make it back home without murdering any polar bears :D

They're good for PHEV drivers, they can fill their battery, and have that warm fuzzy feeling knowing that they can make it back home without murdering any polar bears :D
    .... even though they are charging during the day which is using the dirtiest part of the grid!

An excellent example of just how useless these chargers are, who in their right mind needs to add 60km of range whilst doing their weekly shop. Assuming you've bought a car with around 300km of range (i.e. a modern EV), the 60km is only going to be useful on days where you need between 300km and 360km, I suspect for most people, they don't do that kind of mileage on days that they are also doing their weekly grocery shopping.

Useless for you! I'm truly amazed you can't understand that it may be useful for other people though.

Useless for you! I'm truly amazed you can't understand that it may be useful for other people though.

Did you follow the example I gave? Modern EVs start at between 250km and 300km of range. Not many are going to use over 50% of their range on a trip to do their weekly grocery shopping. AC charging at supermarkets is a waste of resources. Either you charge at home and don't need it, or you can't charge at home and it's simply not fast enough.

Now if the likes of Tesco installed 50kWh DC chargers, and priced them at rates competitive to eCars.......

Now if the likes of Tesco installed 50kWh DC chargers, and priced them at rates competitive to eCars.......

That's it AndyBoBandy, charging is something you can do whilst doing something else. Charging a 64kWh battery at a 50kW charger whilst spending that same 47 mins in the local supermarket is exactly the scenario Tesco should be enabling. The chargers eCars are installing for Tesco now, are more suited to shopping centers like Blanch or Dundrum, where the average stay is over 2 hours.

Did you follow the example I gave? Modern EVs start at between 250km and 300km of range. Not many are going to use over 50% of their range on a trip to do their weekly grocery shopping. AC charging at supermarkets is a waste of resources. Either you charge at home and don't need it, or you can't charge at home and it's simply not fast enough.

Your example doesn't matter! There are a multitude of different EVs out there, and this will be useful for someone. It's so weird to me how cliquey and insular some of you lads can be!

Nah, if they just made the AC chargers free, like has been suggested, the value trade would be well worth it.

• Advertisement

Your example doesn't matter! There are a multitude of different EVs out there, and this will be useful for someone. It's so weird to me how cliquey and insular some of you lads can be!

Then expand on it, because I can't think of the use case where it makes sense and your not elaborating the one that you think does.

I honestly can't think of a valid use case for charging an EV at 11kW for 45 mins whilst doing a grocery shop. It's the perfect balance of a location that you don't spend enough time at for AC charging to make sense, and a destination that you tend not to travel too far too.

My charging manifesto is pretty straightforward. Fast Chargers (~50kW) at Supermarkets, Ultra Chargers (~150kW to 350kW) on motorways and interurbans, and AC chargers at major shopping centers with entertainment and dining facilities, a pretty straightforward process of aligning charging times with visit times, or doing it quickly because you are in the middle of a journey.

Advertisement