Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Nah. No interest in feeling like an extra on the set of 12 Monkeys and frankly it’s none of their business who I am or what my phone number is. Not their fault as another poster said and I genuinely feel for them as their businesses are flushed down the toilet by civil serpent doom goblins. Less tables inevitably means less covers, a lot of them are going under, the novelty of being able to eat out is wearing off already.

Genuinely feel for them yet you won't bother your hole going to support them because of a minor inconvenience. Okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Looks like much of Spain will make it compulsory to wear a mask in public. Can see the French following this soon also

• Registered Users Posts: 20,964 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ixoy wrote: »
    Many posts back I wasn't happy with the restrictions that were in place but I think now we're getting a much better balance. It might not be ideal (and I'd probably still dispute some of the measures) but I definitely felt a much greater level of normality eating out yesterday.

Likewise, I was quite vocal as well about the restrictions (especially around the very low-risk outdoor stuff) but I think we have the balance right for the most part now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

went to indian restaurant yesterday evening with wife and kids.
    took the wives name and number and temp, had a sanitising station, that was it.

perfectly enjoyable evening (as much as is possible with a 3 and 6 year old), but was more or less business as usual.

had a great time, whya re people triggered by something that took literally 10 seconds, the point of being god forbid someone on the night was positive they can trace contact more quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I personally didn't like the details and phone numbers being listed and stored for no particular reason.
    Sure the meal was lovely as always, but there is too much invasion into privacy and you don't know what they are doing with the data.

• Advertisement

Seweryn wrote: »
    I personally didn't like the details and phone numbers being listed and stored for no particular reason.
    Sure the meal was lovely as always, but there is too much invasion into privacy and you don't know what they are doing with the data.

For no reason? Its for contact tracing. Be grateful they are looking after their customers. You have to do it for all sport training you attend also.

I may be a little paranoid, but I can clearly see the businesses like restaurants are going to struggle in near future to survive. The measures applied by the government are going to kill them.

Surely, they only do what they are told. But you can see the pattern here. Small businesses will be gone, the biger ones will be taken over by governments, so what will be left? Pharma giants, Facetube and Gogles? A few trillionaires in the sea of hungry and poor?

Some have already folded and stated that the restrictions made it impossible to carry on.

Lots of places are appointment only at the moment. What happens when you get 3 cancellations in one night? A restaurant running at reduced capacity is even further reduced.

I think more and more will fail over the coming months.

Some have already folded and stated that the restrictions made it impossible to carry on.

Lots of places are appointment only at the moment. What happens when you get 3 cancellations in one night? A restaurant running at reduced capacity is even further reduced.

I think more and more will fail over the coming months.

Well if your going to cancel you should cancel as far in advance like you would be fore covid -19.
    Restaurants starting to take deposit on the cards now for when booking which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Have you actually been to a restaurant since reopening? Is using hand sanitiser and going in and out by a one way system really that bad? Bunch of snowflakes
    People like what they like. That shouldn't earn them insults!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Well if your going to cancel you should cancel as far in advance like you would be fore covid -19.
    Restaurants starting to take deposit on the cards now for when booking which is fair enough.
    Wasn't that the way it was before in some restaurants anyway?

• Advertisement

100%.
    I imagine they get people that just no show and don't even bother cancelling.

A deposit would be a good idea. Hope most are doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭VonLuck

That's what was happening in restaurants before this all happened. You rang up and they took your name and number for your booking. How is this any more invasive??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It is life threatening if you are in very bad health. If you are over 70, you should probably be staying in and seeing how this plays out over the next few months.

If you are under 60 and your health is not terrible, you have an extremely tiny chance of actually dying.

Lets face it, none of us would be out and about if this was really life threatening to us. That's not to say that we can't die. But the risk is tiny.

It is life threatening to those over 65 of which there are around 700,000 in this country, those recovering from cancer (150,000) plus those with diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, the obese and anyone immunocompromised.
    Thankfully I am in none of those categories, but unlike some here it appears, it would really bother my conscience if I caught this virus and passed it on to anyone who is.
    For that reason I appreciate business`s who, like that restaurant the poster described, are making the effort to minimise the chances of me doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,995 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I would not be over worried about it. The multinational tech companies have been selling your data to all and sundry for so long that I doubt that restaurant could find a buyer for your phone number if they tried at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

VonLuck wrote: »
    That's what was happening in restaurants before this all happened. You rang up and they took your name and number for your booking. How is this any more invasive??

I'd guess its happening much less now. Previously people would book two or three tables in different places on a Sat night and then pick one to go to closer to the time. Now although most restaurants have less bookings, the customers who do book are more likely to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭gipi

I'd guess its happening much less now. Previously people would book two or three tables in different places on a Sat night and then pick one to go to closer to the time. Now although most restaurants have less bookings, the customers who do book are more likely to attend.

One of my local restaurants had 3 no-shows last week, a total of 13 people who booked and didn't turn up or make contact. Very tough when they've had to reduce the number of tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

charlie14 wrote: »
    I would not be over worried about it. The multinational tech companies have been selling your data to all and sundry for so long that I doubt that restaurant could find a buyer for your phone number if they tried at this stage.
    You are very right (unfortunately). I am just getting paranoid about another way into our privacy. Just getting sick of all this. But yeah, I agree, this is nothing new to us, just another small step forward.
    However, I am worried more about our future than all this (as the measures may stay for longer plus more being added), but that is another matter...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Todays numbers not so good

If we have to go backwards it will be a disaster, mental health will become a major issue. Thinking back to April/May **** me they were depressing and even more so now with stuff beginning to get back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Todays numbers not so good

If we have to go backwards it will be a disaster, mental health will become a major issue. Thinking back to April/May **** me they were depressing and even more so now with stuff beginning to get back to normal

Yes it is a bit worrying, considering the majority of new cases are attributed to inward travel.

But we have to wait and see if it's a trend or a blip. I hope it is just a blip, but with all the free travel from US and UK now I'd wonder a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Was wondering this as well, only coffee shop in a local retail park and was surprised not to see it open last weekend.

Perhaps they need more time to get things in order to reopen ?

There is a rumour going around (not sure if it is true or not) that Costa might leave the Irish market altogether. I guess the competition here is intense and the margins are probably not big enough.
    Also in my local Dunnes I saw Costa products like capsules etc. Probably looking to get into that market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭Dickie10

crazy to think the little or large village pub with 6 or 7 people in a night is shut yet there letting anyine into the country. of course the curtin twitchers will blame the pub if we get more cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Don't worry I am sure the staff couldn't give a fxxx about you and your phone number but they have to collect them , not for no reason , but for contact tracing, and they go in the shredder after 14 days .
    But you know that , I am sure?

charlie14 wrote: »
    It is life threatening to those over 65 of which there are around 700,000 in this country, those recovering from cancer (150,000) plus those with diabetes, chronic respiratory disease, the obese and anyone immunocompromised.
    Thankfully I am in none of those categories, but unlike some here it appears, it would really bother my conscience if I caught this virus and passed it on to anyone who is.
    For that reason I appreciate business`s who, like that restaurant the poster described, are making the effort to minimise the chances of me doing so.

And asthmatics too !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Dickie10 wrote: »
    crazy to think the little or large village pub with 6 or 7 people in a night is shut yet there letting anyine into the country. of course the curtin twitchers will blame the pub if we get more cases.

As much as Irish people love the pub there is a not insignificant anti-drink anti-pub element as well so the current situation is like Christmas come early for them in terms of getting pubs shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I passed a small cafe today. There was maybe 10 customers sitting inside, right beside each other. No social distancing at all. I think many young people think they cannot get it.
    I think people are getting complacent.
    It seems to be up to the owner, if there's room
    outside they put tables and chairs outside and leave some space between each table.
    It's ok but this is not going to practical when it gets cold in the winter.
    I think it ll be hard to expect people to social distance in a pub once they start drinking
    The cafes I passed this week are doing good business some people sit inside, most people sit outside if they have outside tables

riclad wrote: »
    I passed a small cafe today. There was maybe 10 customers sitting inside, right beside each other. No social distancing at all. I think many young people think they cannot get it.
    I think people are getting complacent.
    It seems to be up to the owner, if there's room
    outside they put tables and chairs outside and leave some space between each table.
    It's ok but this is not going to practical when it gets cold in the winter.
    I think it ll be hard to expect people to social distance in a pub once they start drinking
    The cafes I passed this week are doing good business some people sit inside, most people sit outside if they have outside tables

Never thought I 'd be saying this but maybe places should be investing in awnings and patio heaters and putting tables out side ?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Can we travel the country yet or still confined to our own counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Can we travel the country yet or still confined to our own counties?

No that changed in June 29th where you can travel nationally around the country, it was supposed to be July 20th but Phase 3 was brought in three weeks earlier than planned and July 20th will now be Phase 4.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

No that changed in June 29th where you can travel nationally around the country, it was supposed to be July 20th but Phase 3 was brought in three weeks earlier than planned and July 20th will now be Phase 4.
    Brilliant. Thanks. So I'm in Dublin, if the Gardai pull me in Sligo on the 21st I'm in the clear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Brilliant. Thanks. So I'm in Dublin, if the Gardai pull me in Sligo on the 21st I'm in the clear?

asked and answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement