Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part IV - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

The sad fact is that the political class of today would rather flush billions of euros and thousands of jobs down the toilet than risk being branded a granny-killer on social media.

The most expensive PC exercise ever undertaken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Do you not think this is the perfect opportunity for the school to go "Look, lads, work away on the confirmation yourselves if yiz want, but we're a school, and the kids have lost out on enough education without us also doing the indoctrination for ye. Organise something yourselves on your own time."

Grand unless the church owns the building + grounds the school is in, the patron is the local bishop, the local parish priest is a member on the board of management and the board is appointed by the patron. Hardly likely to be a hotbed of dissent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

What I cannot understand is how would any Principal even have had ‘foreign travel’ on his agenda today.
    Here are a few issues that should have been top of his list:
    1. Increased funding for education sector as a matter of urgency to support smaller class sizes particularly in developing schools and those with class numbers over 30.
    2. Sanitary procedures for schools.
    3. Immunocompromised teachers and what protections they might be afforded.
    4. PPE equipment.
    5. Projections of how children will mix and in groups/classes of how many.
    6. Staff room procedures.
    7. Covid 19 cases in schools - procedures to follow
    8. Test and trace - are teachers needed to help re classroom and school environment.
    9. Are extra prefabs needed to support smaller class numbers in certain schools - they would need to be built as a matter of urgency.
    10. Is there a programme being developed to help children process what happened re the lockdown, being told you could kill Granny or Grandad if you hugged them, ‘no children allowed’ signs at shops and all the other emotional trauma that was lumped on them unfairly during this crisis.

There are so so many issues, and he chose to ramble on about planes and holidays...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I've said it before, Leo was not the biggest issue during the crisis, he didnt lead, but he did stray from the official line so to speak.

The pics of him enjoying the few beers in the park actually showed that he is a human and its ok to live.

MM has robotic tendencies, and has displayed no leadership this far, but the budget will call for leadership I imagine.

Money is cheap......

We constantly remortgage year after year. With rates being what they are it's likely going to cost less than the year before. Issue a hundred year bond like Austria. It'll be inflated away in no time.

519122.png

https://data.oireachtas.ie/ie/oireachtas/parliamentaryBudgetOffice/2020/2020-04-21_national-debt-an-overview_en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Merry_Hell

What I cannot understand is how would any Principal even had ‘foreign travel’ on his agenda today.
    Here are a few issues that should have been top of his list:
    1. Increased funding for education sector as a matter of urgency to support smaller class sizes particularly in developing schools and those with class numbers over 30.
    2. Sanitary procedures for schools.
    3. Immunocompromised teachers and what protections they might be afforded.
    4. PPE equipment.
    5. Projections of how children will mix and in groups/classes of how many.
    6. Staff room procedures.
    7. Covid 19 cases in schools - procedures to follow
    8. Test and trace - are teachers needed to help re classroom and school environment.
    9. Are extra prefabs needed to support smaller class numbers in certain schools - they would need to be built as a matter of urgency.
    10. Is there a programme being developed to help children process what happened re the lockdown, being told you could kill Granny or Grandad if you hugged them, ‘no children allowed’ signs at shops and all the other emotional trauma that was lumped on them unfairly during this crisis.

There are so so many issues, and he chose to ramble on about planes and holidays...

To be fair, when you read the article it does appear that it was a passing comment and a tiny fraction of what he spoke about. Can't figure out why the reporters would pounce on it and make it the headline of their subsequent articles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

This is such utter nonsense. I doubt principles give a toss where anyone goes on holidays. RTE running agendas again. Absolute nonsense!! I'm sure some principles will be on that plane to the Sun!!

GOVT have handled this really poorly and if anything it will encourage those who fully paid for a holiday, pre covid, to simply fly regardless.

What a load of bollox - the sad thing is this unrelenting campaign of hysteria by our national broadcaster' barely raises an eyebrow with me these days.

It's hard to adequately describe the amount of fcuks I don't give to what my kid's school principal thinks of my holiday plans, but let's just say it's a very large number.

Unfortunately there's probably a load of people who this extended guilt-trip is working on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I don't know what the problem is or why all the angst TBH. People can travel where the flights are going, the so called quarantine on return is not monitored.

The Green Lane thing is just a guide. So if you want to go, go. Nothing to stop you really.

Insurance is the only issue I can see, or irresponsibility, or selfishness, or finger pointing whatever. You decide. If you are willing to go, just fekkin go now and shut the F up already. I'm sick listening to people moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Merry_Hell wrote: »
    To be fair, when you read the article it does appear that it was a passing comment and a tiny fraction of what he spoke about. Can't figure out why the reporters would pounce on it and make it the headline of their subsequent articles.

Yes it does appear to be driven by RTÉ using it as their main headline & extract on the news. News report I watched didn't mention the other major issues but glad to hear they were at least discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Can we all snap out of this social distancing, post lockdown mentality and just go back to normal.

3 months ago fair enough but we know the virus is not that bad. Will we now lock down every year for flu season?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think you've missed the point completely. Its not as bad as it could have been because the country social distanced and locked down. Its not a minir flu.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

I think you've missed the point completely. Its not as bad as it could have been because the country social distanced and locked down. Its not a minir flu.

The virus has moved on.

3 months ago when people should have been wearing masks and everyone suddenly needed their 2km.

It’s ridiculous at this stage we need to open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It hasn't gone away you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Interesting in the Irish times from Miriam Lord on the madness of the new Docklands Dail -

What’s so special about us? Look at the way they have been successfully operating in shops and supermarkets,” fumed one TD privately.

“If the level of restrictions imposed on us in Leinster House is so critically important, why then are people not dropping like flies in Supervalu and Lidl? Society is starting to function again and the Oireachtas needs to get with the programme.”

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

3 months ago fair enough but we know the virus is not that bad. Will we now lock down every year for flu season?
    Of course this is not flu.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/warning-of-serious-brain-disorders-in-people-with-mild-coronavirus-symptoms-1.4299112

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Not that I'm much a fan of the place, and I would prefer to support independent coffee shops, but I was just wondering what's going on with Costa Ireland?

They're the only convenient coffee place near where I work usually and they're not open. The store looks completely abandoned with a big sign up just saying it's closed and there's no cash on premises. Their social media feeds look to have stopped posting several weeks ago too, but the UK stores are definitely all up and running.

It just seems odd given a lot of their suburban / business park stores are pretty big spaces and could definitely handle socially distanced tables without much fuss. I think the one near where I work was even 2m+ between tables long before any of this ever happened.

Seems to be a lot of UK retailers going bang here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Beasty wrote: »
    Threads merged

Did posts disappear or was this thread quiet for 24 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Don't know what thread it was merged with?

Nothing for 24 hours when I checked earlier, and for a while before that just echoes and ..tumbleweed..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Almost everything has opened up.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

It was just quiet for a day or so. Restrictions have been eased so much that there's little to complain about I suppose. Although someone started a thread claiming that social distancing should also stop and his thread was merged with this one. The most vociferous anti lockdown posters in this thread haven't even gone that far...yet!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

The virus has moved on.

3 months ago when people should have been wearing masks and everyone suddenly needed their 2km.

Don't you live in Spain ? you see what's happening in Lleida ?
    New epicentre, we will be back at lockdown on national level in a matter of weeks..

New epicentre, we will be back at lockdown on national level in a matter of weeks..

I don't think that's going to happen.

I wouldn’t mind locking down again at all. No traffic, no crowds. I thought it was very pleasant indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Penfailed wrote: »
    I don't think that's going to happen.

Really hope you're right..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I wouldn’t mind locking down again at all. No traffic, no crowds. I thought it was very pleasant indeed

Sustainable? I presume that you are self sufficient, grow your own vegetables, animals, make your own clothes etc. Eventually as the country goes bankrupt you might need to arm yourself from those less prepared than yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Penfailed wrote: »
    Almost everything has opened up.

400,000 people still getting the emergency payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

400,000 people still getting the emergency payment.
    May well fall to 300K and below over the next week or two, plus 110K are now down at the standard welfare payment of €203.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

What do people make of this that seems to be doing the rounds on social media?

Am not necessarily saying I agree either...

Shared:
    Let's say you woke up with a terrible cough, a fever, and severe body aches. Immediately, you rush to the doctor and unfortunately, you’re diagnosed with COVID-19. For the last two weeks, you’ve been unaware that you were infected and you’ve ignored "the rules." You've gotten together with some close friends for pizza, had a few people over, even visited a park and a beach. You figured, “I don’t feel sick. I have the right to keep living my normal life. No one can tell me what to do."
    With your diagnosis, you spend the next few days at home on the couch, feeling pretty crappy; but then you’re well again because you’re young, healthy and strong. Lucky you. But your best friend caught it from you during a visit to your house, and because she didn't know she was contagious, she visited her 82-year-old grandfather, who uses oxygen tanks daily to help him breathe because he has COPD and heart failure. Now, he’s dead.
    Your co-worker, who has asthma, caught it too, during your little pizza get-together. Now, he’s in the ICU, and he's spread it to a few others in his family, too--but they won't know that for another couple of weeks yet.
    The cashier at the restaurant where you picked up the pizza carried the infection home to his wife, who has MS, which makes her immunosuppressed. She’s not as lucky as you, so she’s admitted to the hospital because she’s having trouble breathing. She may need to be placed in a medically-induced coma and intubated; she may not get to say goodbye to her loved ones. She may die surrounded by machines, with no family at her bedside.
    All because you couldn't stand the inconvenience of a mask; of staying home; of changing your familiar routines for just a little while. Because you have the right, above all others rights, to continue living your normal life and no one, I mean no one, has the right to tell you what to do.

#SocialDistancing = It’s not about YOU!
    #WearAMask = It's not about YOU!
    #StayHome = It's not about YOU!
    #GetTested = It's not about YOU!
    #MaskItOrCasket = It's not about YOU!
    #MaskYourMaw = It's not about YOU!

Copied from a friend and shared. Please do the same.
    Stay Safe People!

No need for debate in comments. If you don't agree, simply don't copy & paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What do people make of this that seems to be doing the rounds on social media?

Am not necessarily saying I agree either...

Shared:
    Let's say you woke up with a terrible cough, a fever, and severe body aches. Immediately, you rush to the doctor and unfortunately, you’re diagnosed with COVID-19. For the last two weeks, you’ve been unaware that you were infected and you’ve ignored "the rules." You've gotten together with some close friends for pizza, had a few people over, even visited a park and a beach. You figured, “I don’t feel sick. I have the right to keep living my normal life. No one can tell me what to do."
    With your diagnosis, you spend the next few days at home on the couch, feeling pretty crappy; but then you’re well again because you’re young, healthy and strong. Lucky you. But your best friend caught it from you during a visit to your house, and because she didn't know she was contagious, she visited her 82-year-old grandfather, who uses oxygen tanks daily to help him breathe because he has COPD and heart failure. Now, he’s dead.
    Your co-worker, who has asthma, caught it too, during your little pizza get-together. Now, he’s in the ICU, and he's spread it to a few others in his family, too--but they won't know that for another couple of weeks yet.
    The cashier at the restaurant where you picked up the pizza carried the infection home to his wife, who has MS, which makes her immunosuppressed. She’s not as lucky as you, so she’s admitted to the hospital because she’s having trouble breathing. She may need to be placed in a medically-induced coma and intubated; she may not get to say goodbye to her loved ones. She may die surrounded by machines, with no family at her bedside.
    All because you couldn't stand the inconvenience of a mask; of staying home; of changing your familiar routines for just a little while. Because you have the right, above all others rights, to continue living your normal life and no one, I mean no one, has the right to tell you what to do.

#SocialDistancing = It’s not about YOU!
    #WearAMask = It's not about YOU!
    #StayHome = It's not about YOU!
    #GetTested = It's not about YOU!
    #MaskItOrCasket = It's not about YOU!
    #MaskYourMaw = It's not about YOU!

Copied from a friend and shared. Please do the same.
    Stay Safe People!

No need for debate in comments. If you don't agree, simply don't copy & paste.
    The old chain letter, some things just never die! I'm guessing that's WhatsApp and it's something I'd delete on sight but a fantastic forum to find experts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Not that I'm much a fan of the place, and I would prefer to support independent coffee shops, but I was just wondering what's going on with Costa Ireland?

They're the only convenient coffee place near where I work usually and they're not open. The store looks completely abandoned with a big sign up just saying it's closed and there's no cash on premises. Their social media feeds look to have stopped posting several weeks ago too, but the UK stores are definitely all up and running.

It just seems odd given a lot of their suburban / business park stores are pretty big spaces and could definitely handle socially distanced tables without much fuss. I think the one near where I work was even 2m+ between tables long before any of this ever happened.

Seems to be a lot of UK retailers going bang here.

Was wondering this as well, only coffee shop in a local retail park and was surprised not to see it open last weekend.

Perhaps they need more time to get things in order to reopen ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement