Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

The worrying thing about that document is there is no date set for any changes or review to what is set out.

No competitions allowed but you can return scores for casual golf which involves the same process of sign in, return of card etc.

Courses will be open but Clubs still will not be able to generate any income that comes from people playing on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Exactly wrote: »
    The worrying thing about that document is there is no date set for any changes or review to what is set out.

No competitions allowed but you can return scores for casual golf which involves the same process of sign in, return of card etc.

Courses will be open but Clubs still will not be able to generate any income that comes from people playing on the course.

I’ll give it two weeks and clubs will start ignoring it like the last time.

The first time we open it was 4 balls 14 mins apart and now it’s 2 balls 8 mins apart....

They really don’t have a clue!

Clubs will have to employee starters so extra cost with no income.

I don’t see why golf isn’t getting a major financial bailout. If it wasn’t for members clubs would be closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Finlay Harp

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    When are guests expected to be allowed play in NI?

Announcement on the 12th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Golf Ireland website and just issued to clubs.

Wow Golf Ireland are about as useless as government.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Wow Golf Ireland are about as useless as government.

I’m was not a fan of the GUI and I believe Golf Ireland is a major step forward. They have already delivered on governance improvements to clubs and have create a structure that is professional and going in the right direction.

But this is govt policy and it’s very hard to change the minds of YES men...

If you want this change then contact local TDS and tell them to change it or protest in some peaceful manner. Have you signed the online petition?

I personally contacted two govt minister and got a response and signed online petitions.

I think golf Ireland have done a good job and the 20 km outside your county is down to them which was a major issue for some clubs.

Golf Ireland could have done a better job in communicating with members but then they would need to criticize govt policy which is what they didn’t want to do.

But if you think you can do a better job I look forward to you joining the executive in 2022.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

The non playing of competitions is the most idiotic suggestion I've seen.
    There is no real difference between competitions and what's purposed by allowing players return cards for handicap purposes.

It's clear those in sport Ireland dont have a f**king clue about how golf is played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭finglashoop

RGS wrote: »
    The non playing of competitions is the most idiotic suggestion I've seen.
    There is no real difference between competitions and what's purposed by allowing players return cards for handicap purposes.

It's clear those in sport Ireland dont have a f**king clue about how golf is played.

golf ireland hardly covering themselves in glory here

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

golf ireland hardly covering themselves in glory here

Maybe golf Ireland havent put the case properly but at the end of the day sport Ireland dictate the terms of return to play.

It's a serious indictment of both bodies that allowing golf for handicap purposes is seen as different to competition golf.

I would love to hear the rationale for not allowing competition golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,352 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

PLayed 6 holes today. It was lovely to get out.

Well, I didnt play. I walked the last 6 in Athlone and pretended that I had an imaginary set of clubs with me and "played" the course. I played pretty well too. 6 pars which is no mean feat when you consider the last 6 in Athlone. 5/5 fairways and 5/6 greens for GIR. 2 putted every green except the 16th where I made a good up and down. I didnt know where the holes were for my approach shots so didnt get close with any of my shots. But still, happy enough to have gotten out :) It was a gorgeous day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭finglashoop

RGS wrote: »
    Maybe golf Ireland havent put the case properly but at the end of the day sport Ireland dictate the terms of return to play.

It's a serious indictment of both bodies that allowing golf for handicap purposes is seen as different to competition golf.

I would love to hear the rationale for not allowing competition golf.

your first paragraph sums it up really.

shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Russman

So, they’re allowed have handicap qualifying events which “may” involve registration and/or collection of fees, but not allowed have formal competitions - what’s the difference ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I haven’t read it all yet but was nice to see at least a little common sense to allow travel up to 20k from your home to play golf.
    This still rules me out as I’m about 35km as the crow flies or somewhere between 40-50 Km drive depending on the route I take.
    I paid up my sub in February, close enough to €2k.
    With no indication on when this might change, I will be getting some value for my money and do intend on breaking the restrictions and playing however due to the daft carry on of not allowing competitions I’ll probably restrict it to once a week for the initial period

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Russman wrote: »
    So, they’re allowed have handicap qualifying events which “may” involve registration and/or collection of fees, but not allowed have formal competitions - what’s the difference ?

Sport Ireland have said no competitions but Golf Ireland understand that some clubs really need the revenue. Good decision IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ProV

Sport Ireland have said no competitions but Golf Ireland understand that some clubs really need the revenue. Good decision IMO

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you pay a fee if there was no Competition or prizes ?
    The problem I seen the last time when Comps were not allowed: groups of different golfers were playing for money and then handing coins over to each other in the carpark.
    When competitions resumed, at sign-in your virtual wallet was deducted the relevant amount and then winners had their virtual wallet topped up as the prize = a far safer scenario, the only interaction is the tapping of your smartphone !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

A sweep isn't a competition would be my reading of that

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ProV

redzerdrog wrote: »
    A sweep isn't a competition would be my reading of that
    Good call, thanks for the reply

Seve OB wrote: »
    I haven’t read it all yet but was nice to see at least a little common sense to allow travel up to 20k from your home to play golf.
    This still rules me out as I’m about 35km as the crow flies or somewhere between 40-50 Km drive depending on the route I take.
    I paid up my sub in February, close enough to €2k.
    With no indication on when this might change, I will be getting some value for my money and do intend on breaking the restrictions and playing however due to the daft carry on of not allowing competitions I’ll probably restrict it to once a week for the initial period

The 20K or within your own county is for everything though from the 12th so not a decision specific to Golf.

Exactly wrote: »
    The 20K or within your own county is for everything though from the 12th so not a decision specific to Golf.

It golf Ireland request it and push but it and justify it.

Wasn’t aware of that.
    It’s sensible and I’m glad to see it for people who live on the borders of counties

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Ollieboy wrote: »
    I’ll give it two weeks and clubs will start ignoring it like the last time.

The first time we open it was 4 balls 14 mins apart and now it’s 2 balls 8 mins apart....

They really don’t have a clue!

Clubs will have to employee starters so extra cost with no income.

I don’t see why golf isn’t getting a major financial bailout. If it wasn’t for members clubs would be closed.
    Four balls ten minutes apart is pretty much the norm. So set it up for ten minute intervals and any number up to four can play. No starters necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Four balls ten minutes apart is pretty much the norm. So set it up for ten minute intervals and any number up to four can play. No starters necessary.

But how do you stop 3 and fourballs from more than two households if the tee sheet is open for fourballs. It puts a lot of work back on the club to monitor it.

Mixing 8 and 10 minute intervals on a day is a bad idea, there is plenty of evidence to show that mixed intervals causes slower play, combine that with 3 and fourballs mixed with two balls, it’s a recipe for slow play.

I think we are just going with straight two balls at 8 minutes with some form of non competition counting for handicap

But how do you stop 3 and fourballs from more than two households if the tee sheet is open for fourballs. It puts a lot of work back on the club to monitor it.

Mixing 8 and 10 minute intervals on a day is a bad idea, there is plenty of evidence to show that mixed intervals causes slower play, combine that with 3 and fourballs mixed with two balls, it’s a recipe for slow play.

I think we are just going with straight two balls at 8 minutes with some form of non competition counting for handicap
    How do you stop anyone breaking rules that are in the main unenforceable? People will do stupid things, but trying to police that is hit and miss at best. You'd have to rely on people to make the right choices and just re-iterate the rules at booking level.

How do you stop anyone breaking rules that are in the main unenforceable? People will do stupid things, but trying to police that is hit and miss at best. You'd have to rely on people to make the right choices and just re-iterate the rules at booking level.

Totally agree, it’s up to people to police themselves.

But with these rules there will be massive congestion at clubs and people will try to jump queues etc.

I think most clubs will open and only allow 9 holes under the current policy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd assume clubs will just open it up to fourballs and turn a blind eye, like mine did last time. The problem will be people trying to abide by the rule when there are fourballs out on the course. It'll be infuriating playing in a two ball and moving at a fourball pace.

blue note wrote: »
    I'd assume clubs will just open it up to fourballs and turn a blind eye, like mine did last time. The problem will be people trying to abide by the rule when there are fourballs out on the course. It'll be infuriating playing in a two ball and moving at a fourball pace.
    I know in my club, members formed their own 'bubbles' and only played with them. Some of them were made up with family members and neighbours and in general, were in the two household range anyway. When restrictions were lifted, we had people insisting on staying in their 'bubbles' even when there was no such restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Cycled past my club today and stopped to look in thru the gate

crying-man.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Agreed, It’s a nightmare to expect people to police it themselves, what happens then is that you book a two ball from two households and a couple more f**knits will then book in beside you on the day, hoping you’ll pull out.

Block off booking to be two balls and have any special circumstances of 3/4 balls from the one house book via pro shop. Otherwise you have the made up ****e above of people inventing 4 ball bubbles, involving 4 households.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Could you do something like

First 4 hours of day are 2 balls at eight mins
    second 4 hours of day are 3 balls at 9 mins
    last 5 hours of day are 4 balls at 10 mins

I think our place will have to only play 9 too.

Maybe you could have 4 balls on one 9 and 2/3 balls on other nine.

Interesting all the options.
    People with another golfer in their household are advantaged (I think ?)

Overall - with clubs with more members - it is kind of workable and not as much as a disaster as straight 2 balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

I miss jumping out of bed at 7am when my alarm goes off for Golf on a Saturday morning, funnily enough when it goes off at 7am for work it takes me an hour to get up

• Advertisement

Stacksey wrote: »
    I miss jumping out of bed at 7am when my alarm goes off for Golf on a Saturday morning, funnily enough when it goes off at 7am for work it takes me an hour to get up

Meet your brother:D

Advertisement