Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Wombatman wrote: »
    It might seem childish posting this......but I'm going to do it anyway. Common sense is often patently obvious to children.

"Dublin GAA stars broke rules on Covid gatherings with early morning training"

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-gaa-stars-broke-rules-on-covid-gatherings-with-early-morning-training-40263682.html

What does that have to do with golf?

Are you saying we should follow them and break the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Kid Charlemagne

I'm sure you understand why it would be completely inappropriate to name the clubs where cases were transmitted.

Actually on the contrary, the HSE/NPHET should have been a lot more open about where cases are being found. Be that golf courses or anything else. Track and trace is one thing but widespread public knowledge of hotspots is another..

Another example of govt treating us like idiots. They were the idiots who opened all the boozers up and let this run riot before Christmas. An apology wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yeah gubment seem dead set on destroying small retail. Don't understand the logic. Was shocked to see click and collect not allowed either. Very "Anti Business" agenda at play in this country at the moment.

Click and collect hasn’t been allowed....... but tons of places doing it anyway for months.
    Saw Argos open in blanch other day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭benny79

Seve OB wrote: »
    Click and collect hasn’t been allowed....... but tons of places doing it anyway for months.
    Saw Argos open in blanch other day

Fair fcuks to them as well.. Nothing wrong with Click & Collect keeps jobs and companies afloat. The restrictions really should be on a country basis at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

We need to look at the NI return to play protocols which I believe we will be using when we return.

Its the 2 household rule with 2 balls at 8 mins, 3 balls at 9 min intervals and 4 balls at 10 min intervals.

How a club uses its time sheet to facilitate the 3 variants will be down to each club.

Maybe 2 balls from early morning till mid day, 3 balls till 3pm and 4 balls after that.

I presume we will be in this 2 household rule until the next review is carried out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭opinionated3

........ Or clubs should just open timesheets as normal, advise their members of the government advice, and put the onus on the membership to adhere to the "rules". Who's gonna proactively police the two households rule? No one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

I just made a few aggressive golf swings in the back garden..... its a good thing that courses arent opening up for another month. I'm in agony

• Registered Users Posts: 20,354 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Break80 wrote: »
    And me as Captain of The Society this year.
    We are down to 3 outings now.
    If it's members only to Sept we are fcked.

You can be captain again next year. I'm sure nobody will mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Lefty2Guns wrote: »
    Covid restrictions last season meant you couldn't tee off until a member of staff was in the Club Shop. The club I was member in didn't open the club shop until 8.30am.

Just use the same calculation starting at 8:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DaveQuinn2020

........ Or clubs should just open timesheets as normal, advise their members of the government advice, and put the onus on the membership to adhere to the "rules". Who's gonna proactively police the two households rule? No one.

What happens then when the majority of membership adhere to the rules and you get the occasional rogue 4ball? Absolute chaos. We had this for a week in our club last time, and you end up with multiple groups of 2-balls bunched up on tee-boxes behind random 4-balls. If the rules state only 2 households, then the club has to stick to 2-balls or it gets messy very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

I
    For all those that think Golf Ireland have failed, golf is the first organised mass participation sport to come back. Was there organised boating, kayaking, sailing or rock climbing during this lockdown? I could be wrong but I don't think there was. Aren't all these activities just as socially distant as golf? Where is their 'golfgate' that kept them closed?

Come on, it’s not the first back- it’s back at the same time as a number of another sports and behind inter-county GAA.

We have had the most golf shutdowns anywhere in the world but they haven’t failed?? Lol

Moving away from that, what do you think of Golf Ireland’s communication to clubs and players during this time? Has it been acceptable in your view?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Come on, it’s not the first back- it’s back at the same time as a number of another sports and behind inter-county GAA.

We have had the most golf shutdowns anywhere in the world but they haven’t failed?? Lol

Moving away from that, what do you think of Golf Ireland’s communication to clubs and players during this time? Has it been acceptable in your view?

A tiny percentage of elite players out of all GAA members, to facilitate league/championship fixtures - which were in turn behind the equivalent elite golfers who were able to play I believe all throughout level 5 restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

The first mass participation sport back is golf, all other sporting activity which has been going on has been elite/high performance.

Ireland was the worst in the world for the incidence of covid at the start of January, doesn't that mean we needed the most stringent lockdown?

Golf Ireland were only in a lose/lose situation with communication, I'm not sure what they could have done, if anything would have went on social media they just would have been lambasted in the comments. What difference would putting out a tweet saying, 'We engaged with the government this week' and then putting out the same thing the next week and the next week.

Imagine the phone calls that they had to answer in the past few months. Sometimes, staying quiet and doing your job is the best policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

If the numbers this evening are an indication of what’s to come when schools fully open you’d worry about any sports on 26th

benji79 wrote: »
    If the numbers this evening are an indication of what’s to come when schools fully open you’d worry about any sports on 26th

We need to look more at hospitalisation and ICU numbers rather than case numbers.
    With the most vulnerable receiving vaccines we are in a better position than last year if we had the same number of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

True but higher case numbers can lead to higher chance of people needing hospital treatment. Lower cases has to be a help on that front

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

RGS wrote: »
    We need to look more at hospitalisation and ICU numbers rather than case numbers.
    With the most vulnerable receiving vaccines we are in a better position than last year if we had the same number of cases.
    Over 60s should be vaccinated by the end of April, so that will ease things a bit too.

Higher case numbers can lead to bigger risk of mutations and us all going back to square one. Only saying ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

True but higher case numbers can lead to higher chance of people needing hospital treatment. Lower cases has to be a help on that front

Probably not likely and this is the exact issue with these doctors and govt.

1000 people before Xmas with no vaccine would result in say 200 hospitalization.

1000 people today will result in 20. For case numbers to have the same affect on hospitals you would need 10000 cases per day.

The average age of person is now lower and healthy so they will likely shrug the virus off.

This was even confirmed on the news last night by the people in charge of vaccine.

So in summary it’s very unlikely we will ever see the same problems with hospitals with the vaccine.

The govt have lock us down because of fear and ignorance.

We will still have deaths and nobody really know what the consequences of long COVID is on a person but what we are doing is pure madness

Higher case numbers can lead to bigger risk of mutations and us all going back to square one. Only saying ;)

This is true but the COVID virus is part of a family of virus and fairly likely is a mutation from something like SCARS.

But that’s the big question and people needing boaster for years and other virus showing up. Historically these things come in waves.

It’s a really good time to buy shares in drug companies even at today’s prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I don’t think they were all from today, some might have been carried over from yesterday.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Probably not likely and this is the exact issue with these doctors and govt.

1000 people before Xmas with no vaccine would result in say 200 hospitalization.

1000 people today will result in 20. For case numbers to have the same affect on hospitals you would need 10000 cases per day.

The average age of person is now lower and healthy so they will likely shrug the virus off.

This was even confirmed on the news last night by the people in charge of vaccine.

So in summary it’s very unlikely we will ever see the same problems with hospitals with the vaccine.

The govt have lock us down because of fear and ignorance.

We will still have deaths and nobody really know what the consequences of long COVID is on a person but what we are doing is pure madness

Without any restrictions and due to the contagiousness of Covid, that is very likely scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 21,280 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Swab numbers were high yesterday, like 700+ from 14k tests. Today was 550+, but from 19.5k tests. More walk in centres = more tests = higher cases. Go by 7 day average and positivity rate, along with hospitalisations and you'll see its going well. Add in there'll be another about 700k vaccine doses dished out by 26th and we should be laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

My mates dad has his clubs cleaned and the bag, shoes and trolley all standing at his front door today.
    Gonna be a long few weeks for him.

Without any restrictions and due to the contagiousness of Covid, that is very likely scenario

Yes I agree but nobody is saying we don’t need restrictions but we need tight level 3 and have them enforced correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Watching some chicago cubs opening day baseball. Fans at the game all provided with T-Shirts with different MLB approved Slogans, one of which is "Get out, stay safe".... Wouldn't that be a nice departure froms the rubbish we have to deal with.

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Watching some chicago cubs opening day baseball. Fans at the game all provided with T-Shirts with different MLB approved Slogans, one of which is "Get out, stay safe".... Wouldn't that be a nice departure froms the rubbish we have to deal with.

Like that slogan.

Think most here are agreed outdoor activities are the best way forward but our leaders dont have the smarts to real promote the benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Like that slogan.

Think most here are agreed outdoor activities are the best way forward but our leaders dont have the smarts to real promote the benefits.

Yeah. It struck a chord with me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Well I'd say that might be the last one for a while

Chicago sees ‘quantum leap’ in COVID-19 cases

• Advertisement

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Yes I agree but nobody is saying we don’t need restrictions but we need tight level 3 and have them enforced correctly

Level 3 means everyone does their own amateur risk assessment and decides that they only need to comply to level 1.

We’ve already had the reality check after Christmas how quickly this can spread. It’s futile trying to predict numbers.

Advertisement