Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

Stacksey wrote: »
    I miss jumping out of bed at 7am when my alarm goes off for Golf on a Saturday morning, funnily enough when it goes off at 7am for work it takes me an hour to get up

Ha, this is so true. On a work night I don't want to go to bed because once I do the next thing I'll do is get up for work. Then I wake up and treasure the time before my alarm goes off because I feel like the day hasn't started yet. Then the alarm goes off and I try to will myself out of bed.

Whereas on a Friday night, I'll happily go to bed. And if it's a 7am tee time I'll happily get out of bed at 6. Possibly the best tee time, because I'll still have practically the whole day free.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

These new rules whereby effectively only 2 balls will be allowed is certainly going to cause havoc. 2 balls going out at 8 minute intervals is 14 people per hour. I have a feeling that golf will be restricted to 9 holes each weekend to cater for the most numbers. This is absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

These new rules whereby effectively only 2 balls will be allowed is certainly going to cause havoc. 2 balls going out at 8 minute intervals is 14 people per hour. I have a feeling that golf will be restricted to 9 holes each weekend to cater for the most numbers. This is absurd.

All depends on the playing numbers in each club. Even with 2 balls you should be able to get around 150 on the course playing 18 holes running a time sheet from 6.30am with last tee time 5.30pm. The longer daylight hours are a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

How many more can you get out in 4s? Bear in mind one person taking 4 shots a hole and 30 seconds a shot adds 2 minutes per hole to complete a round. This also doesn't take the extra waiting from the others into consideration as the shots are being played.

3 balls will take longer to play, 4 balls longer again and bigger spacing between groups is needed otherwise the course will get completely clogged up.

2 balls are not absurd. It's pretty clear from this thread that most golfers are clueless on how to get golfers around the course in a timely fashion using proper tee time management. Getting as many golfers out in as short as time as possible is a recipe for slow play. Using the method of it's ok to hit from the first as soon as the group in front is out of range is a recipe for slow play.

Which do golfers prefer, to tee off at 12 in a 4 ball that finishes at 4:30-5 or tee off in a 2 ball at 1 and finish at 4? Golfers are forever going on about slow play but have no idea what causes it and can't see the actual solutions when presented to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

How many more can you get out in 4s?

By going out in 4s the number of golfers allowed out will be in a 12 hour day:

12*60*4/10 = 288

12*60*2/8 = 180

So you dont understand that is 60% higher! Saving time on rounds is not the issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

gypsy79 wrote: »
    By going out in 4s the number of golfers allowed out will be in a 12 hour day:

12*60*4/10 = 288

12*60*2/8 = 180

So you dont understand that is 60% higher! Saving time on rounds is not the issue

You don't seem to understand that it takes much longer for 4s to play. 2s can start later and finish earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

I doubt this will be followed. Who’s to say who lives with who?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

RGS wrote: »
    All depends on the playing numbers in each club. Even with 2 balls you should be able to get around 150 on the course playing 18 holes running a time sheet from 6.30am with last tee time 5.30pm. The longer daylight hours are a help.
    In my experience the most pressure on tee times is between 8AM and 11AM. Allowing 42 people out won't help. It's true that the timesheet will be open for 10 hours but that facility was available before lockdown and few people availed of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Here's the evidence of why its absurd for golf to remain shut and even when it opens how the silly rules are just off the wall crazy.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/outdoor-transmission-accounts-for-0-1-of-state-s-covid-19-cases-1.4529036

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Here's the evidence of why its absurd for golf to remain shut and even when it opens how the silly rules are just off the wall crazy.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/outdoor-transmission-accounts-for-0-1-of-state-s-covid-19-cases-1.4529036

It should be opened up now.
    Great to see some evidence to stop the rubbish posted on here.

• Advertisement

And we all know the government and NPHET wont take any notice and wont change a thing before the next review at the end of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭yuridwyer

I'd rather play a 5 hour round in a fourball than not get on the time sheet at all because it's all 2 balls . Actually you can even make that a 6 hour round

Am I reading that right - 131 cases out of 232k cases attributed to outdoor activity? Why on earth are we opening up golf and not all sporting activities then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Even the spread in building sites are low.
    Even just outdoor social gatherings seem ok.
    Both of the above carry a higher risk than golf.
    We must be at 0 cases

When you look at the number of cases recorded from the things that are now banned (such as golf and construction) and ignore the cases that were recorded as community transmissions because they never traced it back to the activity and ignore the cases from people doing things they shouldn't have been doing that they wouldn't have been doing were it not for the activity being open (such as the golfers in tullamore and all the others ee didn't hear about) and also ignore the number of cases that were caused by those people passing it on, you'd have to say those numbers are utterly negligible. And based on that I can see no reason why there are pretty much any restrictions in place.

blue note wrote: »
    Am I reading that right - 131 cases out of 232k cases attributed to outdoor activity? Why on earth are we opening up golf and not all sporting activities then?

There are tonnes of scientists who claim that it is impossible to get outdoors as it dies on UV light

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

There are tonnes of scientists who claim that it is impossible to get outdoors as it dies on UV light

Are we talking about many scientists or just a few obese ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Great study and hopefully some decision makers have had a good read of that.
    I’m hopeful that we have seen the last of golf lockdowns and feel that when we get back golfing, even if we see heavy restrictions come back in at times, golf will remain open for the future.
    Mind you I though that last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Another one of the theories you found while leafing through the lancet I’d say.

What do they make of all the cases record as outdoor transmissions? International governments conspiracy? Maybe to keep the golf clubs in Ireland closed?

To be honest, I'd believe that very few transmissions happen outdoors. But I'd say huge amounts of transmissions happen that otherwise wouldn't if people weren't doing things outdoors.

The point has been made many times already though here and elsewhere. I think I'll stop. The people with the potential to understand already do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

blue note wrote: »
    I'd say huge amounts of transmissions happen that otherwise wouldn't if people weren't doing things outdoors.

I'd say a huge amount of transmissions happened that otherwise wouldn't have if people had been allowed to undertake safe outdoor activities.

Seve OB wrote: »
    I'd say a huge amount of transmissions happened that otherwise wouldn't have if people had been allowed to undertake safe outdoor activities.

Absolutely. There were arguments with merit to allow golf and to not allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

I’m not in favour of restrictions on outdoor activities given current virus status but I would query this report a small bit.
    I don’t see how you can accurately establish that practically nobody has caught the virus outdoors given the fact the hse has only ever traced back 48hrs when someone tests positive. It’s nearly always household contacts at that stage which a silly tracing system like that which never gets you out ahead of the virus.

I remember similar last year when no cases were being traced back to pubs etc but how could they. By the time someone gets symptoms and tests positive then traced the pub or outdoor activity is long in the past so impossible to get the source of the cluster.

I’m not saying outdoor is an issue I’m merely querying the validity of these reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Some pretty obvious flaws in that report

But people are that pissed off they happy to ignore that and run with it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

I thought the ( flimsy) logic behind the continued restrictions on playing were nothing to do with the activity itself, rather that you might stop off at the petrol station on the way and pick up covid there. Despite wearing your mask, sanitising your hands etc... ??
    So does that make the above report kinda irrelevant? Its amazing how we're gone from " living with covid" to actively trying to find excuses not to open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

I went and took a walk on my course yesterday evening
    Passes groups of teenagers in groups of 15 or more
    And a golf course lying idle for months ,
    There is a reason why Fianna Fáil are at their lowest ratings ever , and I will find it hard to vote for them after this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

the whole thing is a joke at this stage
    gov way too conservative on outdoor activities
    gov is terrified after opening pubs at Christmas - that's all that's driving this, popularity fear and not rational thinking

the whole thing is a joke at this stage
    gov way too conservative on outdoor activities
    gov is terrified after opening pubs at Christmas - that's all that's driving this, popularity fear and not rational thinking

Agree 100%.

The government should change tack now and open golf tennis and other non contact outdoor sports from next Monday 12th, and golf should be 4 balls and not his 2 household crap. If people can meet up socially in a park from next Monday why is golf staying closed?

Outdoor dining should be told they can reopen after the may bank holiday.

• Advertisement

I went and took a walk on my course yesterday evening
    Passes groups of teenagers in groups of 15 or more
    And a golf course lying idle for months ,
    There is a reason why Fianna Fáil are at their lowest ratings ever , and I will find it hard to vote for them after this

Traditional FG voter who abstained from voting last time out BUT what is the alternative

The left are shouting to shut down harder and give away more FREE money

Advertisement