Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

RGS wrote: »
    Agree 100%.

The government should change tack now and open golf tennis and other non contact outdoor sports from next Monday 12th, and golf should be 4 balls and not his 2 household crap. If people can meet up socially in a park from next Monday why is golf staying closed?

Outdoor dining should be told they can reopen after the may bank holiday.

people have been meeting in parks, gardens and houses and for months now......

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

Seve OB wrote: »
    people have been meeting in parks, gardens and houses and for months now......

True but we are ALLOWED from next monday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 DaveQuinn2020

Have any clubs considered the use of club practice grounds after we get back? I know we will all just be happy to play at all for the first while, but it would be nice to have a few socially distanced practice sessions on the chipping green too, or is that too much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Have any clubs considered the use of club practice grounds after we get back? I know we will all just be happy to play at all for the first while, but it would be nice to have a few socially distanced practice sessions on the chipping green too, or is that too much to ask?

We did in previous lockdowns, but there was a timesheet. If I wanted to do some chipping practice, I had to put my name down for when I wanted to use it.

At this stage I can't remember what stage in what lockdown this was, but I expect we won't be able to do it when the courses open on the 26th. The guidelines state you arrive, play and leave. Hopefully they'll allow it in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

You can pratice in your head and be grateful that you are allowed to do that.

In all seriousness, I can't see it happening. I would expect most clubs will do no more than they are sure they are allowed. So I am expecting 2 balls (maybe 9 holes) for the foreseable future.

• Advertisement

And right on cue Colm Henry out with the NPHET cold bucket of water:

Reported on the Journal and the RTE website.

'Misleading' data on outdoors transmission does not reflect all cases associated with outside activities"

“It doesn’t really include all the other scenarios where people might acquire Covid when they congregate in any activity associated,” Henry said.

He said, as examples, that public health directors have located outbreaks from changing rooms, travel to or from matches, and dugouts."

The NPHET policy don't allow outdoor activities because some might not adhere to all the guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

'Misleading' data on outdoors transmission does not reflect all cases associated with outside activities"

“It doesn’t really include all the other scenarios where people might acquire Covid when they congregate in any activity associated,” Henry said.

He said, as examples, that public health directors have located outbreaks from changing rooms, travel to or from matches, and dugouts."

The NPHET policy don't allow outdoor activities because some might not adhere to all the guidelines.

So basically we can't play golf because golf courses have changing rooms which NPHET think we are using? Did Golf Ireland not argue the fact that since the pandemic we simply turn up, play a round and go home?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

So doesn't include indoor settings. Isnt that the exact point.

Also, he's talking tripe, changing rooms have been closed for a year and dugouts? Where do they pull this crap out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was a fantastic weekend weather wise for golf, another weekend wasted. Unfortunately.

Crime that courses are closed during the masters.

Golf Ireland, sport Ireland and the government have a lot to answer for.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

So doesn't include indoor settings. Isnt that the exact point.

Also, he's talking tripe, changing rooms have been closed for a year and dugouts? Where do they pull this crap out of.

Sure dugouts were off limits didnt subs sit in the stands.

Any old crap to dampen any positivity and optimism. But our sh*t their pants cabinet wont do anything other than become nodding dogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Our club gave word today that practise facilities will also open on the 26th with social distancing measures in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

You can pratice in your head and be grateful that you are allowed to do that.

In all seriousness, I can't see it happening. I would expect most clubs will do no more than they are sure they are allowed. So I am expecting 2 balls (maybe 9 holes) for the foreseable future.

Heard of a few clubs in our locality already losing members for 2021, once they heard about nine hole golf and two balls they didn't want to pay subs. No value for money is the general consensus. The damage to golf clubs, revenue wise, could be enormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Local club has lost 30% membership this year but owners had planned on reducing members by increasing fees for next year by 30%. Can see the membership drop by a few more if rules regarding 2 balls and 9 holes are longer than a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭h2005

Where is this 2 ball and 9 holes thing coming from? I thought it was 2 households?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

h2005 wrote: »
    Where is this 2 ball and 9 holes thing coming from? I thought it was 2 households?

It is. But the only way you guarantee compliance with the 2 household requirment is to make it 2 balls only. And that puts serious strain on timesheets, to the point where in order to ensure an adequate percentage of the membership gets any kind of game at all, allowing 18 hole rounds is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

h2005 wrote: »

9 holes can be implemented by clubs if they struggle to get everyone out

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TMOrules

At the weekend i booked a round of golf for Monday the 3rd of May on golfnow. The course has since came back and said they cannot allow visiting golfers at that time. Is this the same for all courses?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭plumber77

TMOrules wrote: »
    At the weekend i booked a round of golf for Monday the 3rd of May on golfnow. The course has since came back and said they cannot allow visiting golfers at that time. Is this the same for all courses?

Yes. Members only for the foreseeable if its a members owned club. There may be some exceptions around.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

Can anyone remember how the restrictions were relaxed last year over time. The two ball/household restriction will only last a certain time.

jp101 wrote: »
    Can anyone remember how the restrictions were relaxed last year over time. The two ball/household restriction will only last a certain time.

Knowing the ultra cautious approach from NPHET it could be June before the 2 household rule goes.

Hopefully sense will prevail and we will be back in 4 balls mid may after the next review at end of april.

I see government are still using the "HOLD FIRM" line at todays presser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

jp101 wrote: »

as far as I remember the initial relaxation of the restrictions allowed for casual play but with no restriction to 2 ball. There was a large time spacing between groups to stop people congregating before a round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

I'm actually looking forward to it being restricted to 2 ball over 9 holes. Don't think i could hack over 4 hours for a round now. Will be a good way to ease in.

The killer though is not being able to rock up any evening and play a few holes. Living right beside the course that was a real advantage. Im sure given the sign it requirements that clubs wouldn't be able to make full use of the summer daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

the 9 hole thing is surely something to be done at course level.

Doesn't make sense to apply it as a broad measure. 9th green in corballis is as far from the clubhouse as you can get while being on the property

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I'm actually looking forward to it being restricted to 2 ball over 9 holes. Don't think i could hack over 4 hours for a round now. Will be a good way to ease in.

The killer though is not being able to rock up any evening and play a few holes. Living right beside the course that was a real advantage. Im sure given the sign it requirements that clubs wouldn't be able to make full use of the summer daylight.

I'd kill to be stuck on the course for 4 hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Lockdown day 200 - I'm literally watching average people play golf on youtube. Please please let me play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

willabur wrote: »
    the 9 hole thing is surely something to be done at course level.

Doesn't make sense to apply it as a broad measure. 9th green in corballis is as far from the clubhouse as you can get while being on the property

That will be up to each club independently depending on timesheet pressure. My place will be as many 18 hole rounds in the week as you want thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭newport2

Knowing the ultra cautious approach from NPHET it could be June before the 2 household rule goes.

Ye, there was a joke doing the rounds that Easter Sunday had been delayed because NPHET had advised Jesus to remain in the tomb until June

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I see they're now pushing vitamin D supplements... If only there were safe activities where you can go out and get natural vitamin D.

PARlance wrote: »
    I see they're now pushing vitamin D supplements... If only there were safe activities where you can go out and get natural vitamin D.

But without a sun roof on your car, you wont get enough vitamin D from the sun on a golf day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭blue note

Have any clubs opened up their timesheets yet? Or given any indication how they plan to operate when they're allowed to open back up on 26th April? I suppose it's slightly over 2 weeks away, but I'd have expected to hear plans by now.

Advertisement