Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fry-up in the morning. Is it unhealthy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Worcestershire sauce has fermented anchovies in it. Not a million miles away from fish sauce in terms of the umami flavour they both bring.

Im a big fan of fish sauce but haven't tried it on a breakfast. I can't really see where it fits in.

Worcestershire sauce can just fcuk off though.

Horses for courses, Worcester sauce has a more rounded flavour with a tinge of sweetness akin to YR sauce, is delicious on cheese on toast. Fish sauce smells like piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Babooshka

Anyone who dumps beans on top of the breakfast, in a civilised society, needs a talking to and they need a word with themselves.

But I've made peace with having beans on the side in a bowl or a ramekin if you're feeling middle class. But beans shouldn't touch anything else on the breakfast plate unless you want it to.

I break out in sweats when I see beans beside eggs, oh my god. Vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    They serve those as home fries in the States, lovely yokes and I wish they were more common here. Though obviously the bacon over there is not generally as good as what you get here.

I find the stuff in the states is very hit and miss. Either delicious or some potatoe like nonsense. They do know how to do an egg though.

Main thing I've learnt from this thread is that people have a very specific idea of what a fry-up™ is. I didn't really realise this and just considered a fry to be breakfast from a frying pan and had it in my mind it was pretty bad no matter what way you did it.

I'm pretty glad it's not always bad. Mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, and big chunks of garlic are some of my favourite things to eat. Sure I could use a tastier oil I suppose but that's about it. It's already tasty so doubt I'll change it up much.

I get why people don't like my opening post. I wouldn't be happy either if I got that out in a restaurant. I like it a lot but it's definitely more of a bite to eat before work, more akin to a cereal than a nice Sunday morning event.

Babooshka wrote: »
    I break out in sweats when I see beans beside eggs, oh my god. Vile.

Weirdly enough, exactly this for me.

Not a big fan of beans with a fry but if they're to be on the plate, they absolutely cannot touch the egg. They can tip off anything else; sausage, pudding, rasher, toast, etc, but absolutely not the egg.

If the beans touch the egg, the breakfast is irredeemable.

• Advertisement

Also, what is fish sauce?

Babooshka wrote: »
    Do not put fish and worceseseseter in the same sentence you heathen. Fish sauce smells like piss.

You should go to the doctor if your piss is smelling like fish sauce.

It's one of the worst smelling things I know, but smells nothing like piss.

Also, what is fish sauce?

It's used to add flavour to dishes. It smells absolutely rank out of the bottle, but does wonders for the taste of certain meals after it's been cooked in.

Not a fry though, never a fry.

It's used to add flavour to dishes. It smells absolutely rank out of the bottle, but does wonders for the taste of certain meals after it's been cooked in.

Not a fry though, never a fry.

You've piqued my curiosity.

I'll have to get some next time I'm doing the shopping.

Aromat (MSG), Worcestershire sauce, Soy sauce, Fish sauce, Oyster Sauce.. It's all similar; adding unami to a dish. Fish sauce just happens to be the most common where I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Aromat (MSG), Worcestershire sauce, Soy sauce, Fish sauce, Oyster Sauce.. It's all similar; adding unami to a dish. Fish sauce just happens to be the most common where I am.

I'd never heard of unami. Something new every day I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Bullocks wrote: »
    Try Kelly's white pudding . Better than sex !

Completely agree. Think it's the buttermilk in it, I could eat it raw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I made myself a bit of a fry earlier and can't see how it was that unhealthy.. Half a teaspoon of olive oil. Onions. Garlic. Mushrooms. Cherry tomatoes. Slice of bacon. Scrambled eggs. Slice of brown bread toast. All cooked on a low to medium heat with a dash of fish sauce.

You always hear that fries are terrible but I'm not seeing it. I'm not overweight so don't care about some bacon, and the rest could be put into any "healthy" meal. The fish sauce has sodium but I only used a tiny bit.

Does the mantra that they're a heart attack on a plate come from them being cooked in loads of crappy oil or lard? I definitely made some very unhealthy ones in the past with tonnes of oil.

Fish sauce? In a fryup?

Onions, garlic, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes?

You didn't make a fryup, mate, you had Chop-fcuking-Suey with a rasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Fish sauce? In a fryup?

Onions, garlic, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes?

You didn't make a fryup, mate, you had Chop-fcuking-Suey with a rasher.

Onion and mushrooms and tomato defo in a fry up.
    Fry the mushrooms with the tomatoes fcucking lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

too many mentions of the word fish in this thread

cj maxx wrote: »
    Onion and mushrooms and tomato defo in a fry up.
    Fry the mushrooms with the tomatoes fcucking lovely

My missus hates tomatoes and mushrooms, the fkin eejit. Oh well, more for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,033 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You've piqued my curiosity.

I'll have to get some next time I'm doing the shopping.

It's more common in curries and stews. Never heard of it on a breakfast before so if you're going to try it for the first time, try it in a traditional recipe. It does wonders for a curry. The umami flavour is the one you get when you brown meat, for example. It ties the other flavours (Sweet, Salty, Sour, Bitter) together lovely.

It's a table condiment in south east asia. Smells terrible as it's made by pressing fermented fish. but by jesus, does it add flavour

It's more common in curries and stews. Never heard of it on a breakfast before so if you're going to try it for the first time, try it in a traditional recipe. It does wonders for a curry. The umami flavour is the one you get when you brown meat, for example. It ties the other flavours (Sweet, Salty, Sour, Bitter) together lovely.

It's a table condiment in south east asia. Smells terrible as it's made by pressing fermented fish. but by jesus, does it add flavour

In pasta sauces too, just amazing.

Fish sauce and real butter, two things I couldn't be doing without in my kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,033 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

too many mentions of the word fish in this thread

I knew a butcher who would have a fry at any time of the day or night. Wouldn't consider it a fry unless it also had a lamb chop, liver, and beef steak. I suppose it was more of a mixed grill.

Mixed grills were the business. The height of sophistication in the 80s in my dad's peer group, or so I'm told.

Worked in Germany in the late 70s didn't find any of their sausages appealing TBH,
    Spent over 12 years (5 plus times a year) in Transylvania,
    All their sausages are of german ( Saxon) origin,and again not great,now the German bread is tops, liked their beer when o used take alcohol, but Irish sausage for me I'd number 1, alongside Clonakilty white pudding

I would agree. Visited Germany many times and worked there for 2 years. The only passable sausage they have is the standard bratwurst.....actually the little Nurnberger sausages on a bed of sauerkraut are quite good...but the rest suck. They've got this red thing I think it's called Krakauer......it's that weird radioactive red like tandoori chicken and it's pretty crap.

The Irish make great sausages and so do the brits. Cumberlands, garlic and leek Lincolnshires.

Italian sausages are very good too but not really suitable for a fyup. Better to have them with peppers and onions and a crusty ciabatta and a tankard of meaty Chianti. Spanish Catalan sausages are good too....again to be had similar to the Italian accompaniment.

The OP thinks food is of poor quality if he witnesses a slob eating it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Hoboo wrote: »
    Completely agree. Think it's the buttermilk in it, I could eat it raw

Black pudding is fully cooked before it arrives in the shop - it's boiled.

Streaky or back rashers lads? I'd eat both without fuss in a fry,but a back rasher is probably better for the fry,and a streaky in a sambo or burger?

Streaky should only be used as a flavour enhancer...not as the main meat. So you put crispy streaky bacon on top of a burger, then the fried onions on top of that, then the cheese on top of the onions and then the whole shebang under the grill until the cheese melts down and binds all the toppings to the burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

The old turkey bacon can fcuk right back off to America.
    It’s a pig rasher or nothing and leave the rind on it.

Agree on the bacon. At the risk of getting lynched in this thread. When turkey sausages are made well it is a pretty good tasty, healthier alternative to the real thing. Often would have Turkey Sausages, Bacon, Scrambled Egg, Pudding and some breans. Hugely enjoyable meal and reasonabley healthy along with the fact that if you are a gym-goer then it is a very high protein rich meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 doodledoo2

cj maxx wrote: »
    I'd never heard of unami. Something new every day I suppose

It's uMami!
    I hear it in Vic Reeve's voice, though Google tells me it's not what he said ("Uvavu").

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Streaky should only be used as a flavour enhancer...not as the main meat. So you put crispy streaky bacon on top of a burger, then the fried onions on top of that, then the cheese on top of the onions and then the whole shebang under the grill until the cheese melts down and binds all the toppings to the burger.

I went to Spain once

All they seem to have is streaky

Not great for the bowels a week of that

Absolutely this. Right down to the tea with it.

And I say that as a coffee lover.

And the tea has to be the right temperature. Too hot to drink quickly.....but not so hot that it will scald you. With all the salt in the fryup you with be naturally thirsty so a big quaff of the tea causes a slight discomfort but you do it anyway like so: "slurp...swallow...ahhh to release the heat.....bite of toast....slurp...swallow...aaghh....to release the heat.....big eggy/sausagey burp....then back to the knife and fork for the next few mouthfuls"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Airfryers are ridiculous things. Gimmicks like George foreman grills. For povs who don't know how to cook or are too lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Tabasco sauce on a fry????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

That's not a fry-up,.if I threw that up to the family I'd be bate round the head with a pound of butter and a frying pan jayyyyysizzz Creeeeeest,.shir me bird would ate 2 of them in a sandwich.... Anyway it's really not a fry-up I doubt yid even need to get stints in if you ate 3 of them every week for life...

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    I love currywurst, I even found a recipe to make my own at home for when we feel like a bit of comfort food.

I've noticed that there are 2 types of currywurst in Germany. One is with curry sauce slathered all over the chopped sausages and this is very good. I first had it in the main railway station in Cologne and went back for it everyday for the weekend. The other type is the chopped sausages with just curry powder sprinkled over and this is sh1t.

Advertisement