Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fry-up in the morning. Is it unhealthy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ablelocks

antix80 wrote: »

I'd also recommend substituting the bacon for a turkey rasher.
    ablelocks wrote: »
    :eek:

that is just foul.

I only just realised i posted a pun.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Like the ingredients of a fry.....but grilled

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Homelander

I wouldn't be a fan of the typical cheap "cafe" fry-up. Prefer something a bit more....rustic, shall we say. Quality over quantity.

Two sausage, four pudding (I usually score an extra two piece by asking for no mushroom/tomato/beans), one egg, two rasher, plenty bread, relish, potato cubes. The last great fry I had was Dela in Galway City actually, really good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I once asked if there was an brown sauce in a school friend’s house. His mother replied “No” before adding “we’re not common”.

I would have assumed sauce transcended the “class barrier” but apparently not.

Personally, I always work under the “rule” of ketchup with chips, sausages and burgers and then brown with rashers, pork chops and ham sandwiches.

Ketchup yes, brown sauce on ham sandwiches yes.
    Brown sauce on rashers and chops ????

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Haven't had an irish breakfast in ten years and don't miss it. Poor quality meat made from animals that never see the light of day served with sugary beans, oily hash browns and undercooked tomatoes? Each to their own but Nah.

You don't know the first thing about it, Squire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I once asked if there was an brown sauce in a school friend’s house. His mother replied “No” before adding “we’re not common”.

Personally, I always work under the “rule” of ketchup with chips, sausages and burgers and then brown with rashers, pork chops and ham sandwiches.

No, they don't transcend class. The middle class equivalent is relishes. Ballymaloe relish is just posh ketchup - before its blended into a sauce. Same with the browner varieties of relish.

If you look look at the ingredients on both, they're similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Seamai wrote: »
    What about Worcestershire sauce? My Granny used to have the YR version and for some reason we used to call it "Yorkshire Relish Thin".
    I loved
    it on fried potatoes.

The same..loved it on spuds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

cj maxx wrote: »

I'll eat brown sauce on anything at all. Nothing better then a fresh cob, pull out all the bread, load it up with taytos, and apply half a bottle of YR. Delish.
    If feeling really decadent add a melted mars bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I think the fact you don’t have sauce would actually make you common

They had mustard on the table but the ketchup was kept in the press.
    Seamai wrote: »
    What about Worcestershire sauce? My Granny used to have the YR version and for some reason we used to call it "Yorkshire Relish Thin".
    I loved it on fried potatoes.

Yeah, quality stuff. Use to have it in my grandparents as well.
    cj maxx wrote: »

Try it. Especially on a rasher sandwich. Dynamite stuff. Always go with YR sauce too, the HP stuff is too sweet.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

They had mustard on the table but the ketchup was kept in the press.

Is mustard supposed to be posh now?

When did that happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,638 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

When did that happen?

No idea, I don’t like the “stuff” at all. Dijon or yellow. Wouldn’t even put it on a hotdog.

From what I could gather, I think all sauce was “frowned upon” but brown sauce was to be scoffed at.

Either way, I was not impressed.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭Flavour Diaper

No, they don't transcend class. The middle class equivalent is relishes. Ballymaloe relish is just posh ketchup - before its blended into a sauce. Same with the browner varieties of relish.

If you look look at the ingredients on both, they're similar.

Marvelous observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

When did that happen?

My particular favourite is the Maille Chablis white wine and black truffles mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Only unhealthy if you eat it a lot

Marvelous observation.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A proper fry is

3 sausages 3 rashers some black and white pudding at least 2 eggs fried or possibly scrambled hash brown if ya have them, fried potatoes even better, then for the health nuts some fried mushrooms and tomato. Then fried bread. All fried in lard

OP what you described is defineltty NOT a fry up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭LeYouth

That woman sounds like a cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Love a good fry up but only have them at bank holiday weekends and Christmas time.

Have tried all of the premium black pudding brands from the main supermarkets and none of them can lay a glove on what this guy produces
    https://hughmaguirebutchers.com/
    He's been hauling in the awards for his black puddings for several years now, he supplies a lot of restaurants as well as Selfridges in London. His puddings are just absolutely sublime.

I learnt from him that the vast majority of people completely overcook their black pudding, they're already cooked so all you're doing is heating them up. Its a screaming hot pan and 30 seconds one side then 30 seconds the other and it is done, get it off the heat. That way you get a crisp exterior but a deliciously mushy centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Leave it out Reg; you're taking the piss.
    Cloves are good for hot whiskeys and absolutely nothing else.

Not true. Clove-studded Christmas ham is a thing of beauty. A lovely flavour. The cloves are what sets it apart. Clovey apple pie is also delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Corona20

Says she "do you want fish sauce with that?"
    Says I "I do in my hole"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

antix80 wrote: »
    Op, you can make it healthier by spraying it with 1 cal oil and cooking it in the oven. I know technically it's not a fry but contains fewer calories and you can always dab off the excess oil with a paper towel.

Poach the eggs instead of scrambling.

I'd also recommend substituting the bacon for a turkey rasher.

Or just eat cardboard

• Registered Users Posts: 13,914 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Brown Sauce was considered common in the UK because it was invented to add flavour to plain food, such as spuds. However the rich and elite didn't eat plain food, so they wouldn't have considered it, thus they look down on it, iirc.

Anyway, can't bate a good fry. Like most, it has to have sausages (pork content at least 80%, or the best of the below; Clonakilty), black pudding, white pudding, rashers and eggs. Everything else is additional or not required, especially any of that healthy stuff, like tomatos, mushrooms, etc. No place for healthy in a fry. If you're feeling decadent, fry them with Kerrygold.

I would sometimes have beans, but most times just the above meats/meat products and eggs. Couple slices of toast, cuppa tae or something colder in the summer. Bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Not frying them in olive oil either. Use a proper oil that gives some taste.
    Or butter ..and cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

Ah. Crispy bacon and sausages and bread and tea and milk.

Put a sausage on some white bread, and let its heat melt the butter. Follow on with English mustard and tomato sauce.

Put the rasher on some bread with mayonnaise.

Follow it all with tea.

The rest can wait. Although hash browns can be pretty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    She uses it every day too more is the pity. Wrinkly sausages, rotten chips.
    Air "fryers" are really just small fan ovens. They don't do as good a job as actual fan ovens because there is not enough room for the air to circulate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Brown Sauce was considered common in the UK because it was invented to add flavour to plain food, such as spuds. However the rich and elite didn't eat plain food, so they wouldn't have considered it, thus they look down on it, iirc.

Yes this is true when it was invented in 1900s but these days I wouldn’t have put it into class war, if you don’t have it you would look worse would be my opinion

Anyone thinking otherwise came from the school of Mrs Bucket

That's interesting.

It's also a way of preserving fruit. The main fruit in brown sauce is apples and ketchup being tomatoes, obviously. Pickling and fermenting also ads loads of umami flavour so it gives that lovely savoury taste. And it also has lots of vinegar and sugar/molasses so it's also sweet and sour and the spices. It's got a lot of flavour and you can't beat it at times.

I do think it can indicate an adult with a child's pallet when they want brown sauce or ketchup on most meals though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I put a thick layer on my toast and then build it up with some of each ingredient, fold over and eat. Repeat that for each slice of toast. I eat very little if any of my fry not in bread, love eating it in toast. It’s one thing that annoys me getting breakfast/brunch out there is never enough toast to keep making small sandwiches with all the contents on the plate. I’d have 3 or 4 slides of large batch with my breakfast every Saturday and Sunday and go through a large jar of mustard every few weeks.

I do this any time I eat a fry as well (the toast, not the mustard). Every ingredient goes perfectly on toast, why wouldnt you? Find it so weird seeing people just forking a rasher into their mouth without first wrapping it in bread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

A proper fry is

3 sausages 3 rashers some black and white pudding at least 2 eggs fried or possibly scrambled hash brown if ya have them, fried potatoes even better, then for the health nuts some fried mushrooms and tomato. Then fried bread. All fried in lard

This is a man who knows his fry ups.
    If I ordered a fry and got what the OP suggested I would have a melt down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

How do people feel about a few chips? I would never think about it when doing one for myself but if they come out in a cafe I’m beyond delighted, especially if they are not the frozen ones.

Advertisement