Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fry-up in the morning. Is it unhealthy?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

To all those who can't agree on a sauce I would recommend trying this....

you may balk at first but that's the natural human resistance to change and / or suspicion of the unknown....

please bear with me. We have the three condiments....Coleman's English Mustard, Heinze or Chef Ketchup and a brown sauce whether it be Chef, HP or YR.

Now.....take a teaspoon of all three and mix in an egg cup or small tea cup. The finished product will have a light brown hue.

Try that as an accompaniment to your fry and let me know your verdict. To some I expect it will be an epiphany...others will call foul.....others still shall scoff at the thought of even entertaining such an exercise but to those of you who are adventurous and stout of heart I say try and allow your taste buds to overrule your intransigence.

I say to the above with much subtlety and nuance: Never Never Never!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

FVP3 wrote: »
    This "opinion" is all wrong. Snobbery about breakfast fries is like snobbery about MMA.

What exact denomination of "snobbery" is acceptable to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

jimgoose wrote: »
    What exact denomination of "snobbery" is acceptable to you?

Not sure denomination is the word we are looking for there Jim.

I myself am sick of the fancy Irish breakfast. Went to a restaurant in a salubrious suburb a few months back which has a renowned Irish breakfast but it was mediocre dry nonsense with a spicy sausage. Always a huge uncooked tomato in these places as well.

FVP3 wrote: »
    Not sure denomination is the word we are looking for there Jim.

I myself am sick of the fancy Irish breakfast. Went to a restaurant in a salubrious suburb a few months back which has a renowned Irish breakfast but it was mediocre dry nonsense with a spicy sausage. Always a huge uncooked tomato in these places as well.

The tomato's just there for show, that's why they didn't bother cooking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Love a fry myself.

Five sausages.. the cheaper the better. I'm talking about the ones that are all water and salt and pork protein and starch. Four cheap rashers burnt to a crisp with as much crispy fat on them as possible. Two pieces of white, two pieces of black. Nothing fancy.. no Clonakilty for me.. no sir. I want no texture in my pudding, no oatmeal or fancy seasoning, just slices of cylindrical mush. A side portion of cheap beans, the fewer beans the more sweet nectar the better. Two hash browns, these should be firm and oily not soppy and oily. Mushrooms as many as you can give me and spinach too if you have it. Whatever you are serving the vegetarians for breakfast you can thrown that on mine too I always say. Ketchup and brown sauce. Butter and toast. A cupán tae. Heaven!

You're just a piss taker, shame on you, spinach? nothing green has any place near a fry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

The tomato's just there for show, that's why they didn't bother cooking it.

A cooked tomato is just the bollix.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

To all those who can't agree on a sauce I would recommend trying this....

you may balk at first but that's the natural human resistance to change and / or suspicion of the unknown....

please bear with me. We have the three condiments....Coleman's English Mustard, Heinze or Chef Ketchup and a brown sauce whether it be Chef, HP or YR.

Now.....take a teaspoon of all three and mix in an egg cup or small tea cup. The finished product will have a light brown hue.

Try that as an accompaniment to your fry and let me know your verdict. To some I expect it will be an epiphany...others will call foul.....others still shall scoff at the thought of even entertaining such an exercise but to those of you who are adventurous and stout of heart I say try and allow your taste buds to overrule your intransigence.

Brown sauce is the work of the devil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

There’s something desperately wrong with people who like beans with a fry. Or like beans in general.
    Even more perverse than people who like those tasteless triangle hash brown yokes that have creeped onto the fry plate in the past 15 years. Cheap auld shïte designed to bulk up the meal.

Dude,
    I had a full tin of Heinz baked beans, 3 hash browns, 6 slices of black pudding, and 3 runny eggs for dinner.
    Washed down with 6 cans if Guinness.

I'll post in the etiquette thread tomorrow.

Dude,
    I had a full tin of Heinz baked beans, 3 hash browns, 6 slices of black pudding, and 3 runny eggs for dinner.
    Washed down with 6 cans if Guinness.

I'll post in the etiquette thread tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be windy with a warm breeze coming from the south..

Jonybgud wrote: »
    A cooked tomato is just the bollix.....

I agree that it looks great on the plate with a fry-up, but it's not meant to be eaten with the rest of the food.
    Fine, you can look at the tomato while you're eating your breakfast, but dear me, please, please don't eat the thing, you'll ruin the most important meal of the day.
    And if I'm not mistaken, it's against the law in Ireland to touch the tomato on a breakfast plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Tomorrow will be windy with a warm breeze coming from the south..

There may be an avalanche.

Totally wrong mate. Nothing nicer than that sweet sweet juice from a well cooked and seasoned tomato when it runs into and commingles with the fat and grease from a cheap rasher. I love to top load a slice of rasher with tomato before shoving it in my gob.

Your problem is that you are getting uncooked tomatoes with your breakfast.

I despair. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I enjoy an occasional fry when I'm back in Ireland, and even bring some vacuum packed artisan pudding and sausages back to Germany with me for a brunch treat. That is the source of some mirth for my German friends. 'But Aongus, this is already the country of 500 types of sausages; why do you need to bring your own?'

What I do notice about Ireland is that many people are obsessed with the idea of quantity when it comes to a fry. They'd rather a large plate of barely human-grade mushed pig meat, than a smaller fry made up of quality ingredients. Red-faced men queuing up with a tray for an 11-item breakfast which has been sitting under lights since the food was reheated in trays earlier that morning. Fried eggs sitting in grease, congealed baked beans, rubbery rashers with a thin skin of salty foam forming on them.

I have to say, I went vegetarian a few weeks ago there, and this post is making my mouth water, and now I could murder a few rashers and mystery meat sausages.

I'm aware that probably wasn't your intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I have to say, I went vegetarian a few weeks ago there, and this post is making my mouth water, and now I could murder a few rashers and mystery meat sausages.

I'm aware that probably wasn't your intention.

I would consider myself guite/kinda religious ok.. but even I know God give us chicken,cows,fish etc to eat... So I actually feel sorry for vegis(I genuinely do with no disrespect)and I always wonder why and even more so how do they do it. Seriously.
    Ps: I wont say fair play to ya as I often have to vegetarians,. because I don't see why or how... I really dont...
    No lectures nothing please, because it will just go over the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Fried tomato(for the dog)

tomato is poisonous to dogs you know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Soda bread.

The nordies got that one right, thumbs up

No they're not.

It's not a straight up 'yes' or 'no'.

In the case here of chucking the fried tomato to the dog, it might be fine, but I'd be reading up on the particular breed of dog (and variety of tomato) before doing such a thing.

https://dogtime.com/dog-health/dog-food-dog-nutrition/59085-can-dogs-eat-tomatoes

Anyway, when I treat my dogs it's with something which isn't a boring fúckin tomato. I mean, I love them myself, but they don't jump out at me as prime 'doggie treat' material.

I only do beans on a fry I make myself because I can drain most of the sauce before I heat them. I do like dipping a rasher sambo in them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Tomatoes are the most pointless things in the world, whether it be a salad or a fry.

And to those eating streaky rashers, ffs hand them back in to the butcher or supermarket, you’re being robbed, there’s fcuk all meat in them, there basically 95% fat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Fcuk the fries, a dawn shot and a few boiled eggs.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Soda bread.

The nordies got that one right, thumbs up

Their fry is better than an Irish one because there’s a way better array of breads on it. Love the little fried pancake you get, even makes up for their lack of pudding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I like the spreadable white pudding that you can smear on your toast.

I love Rosscarberry white pudding spread on toast, the breakfast of champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

Their fry is better than an Irish one because there’s a way better array of breads on it. Love the little fried pancake you get, even makes up for their lack of pudding.

I find the Ulster fry too dry overall for my liking. Need a ton of ketchup with it.

All for the inclusion of boxty though, which you'll find around parts of the midlands and north west. Really makes a fry.

chosen1 wrote: »
    I find the Ulster fry too dry overall for my liking. Need a ton of ketchup with it.

All for the inclusion of boxty though, which you'll find around parts of the midlands and north west. Really makes a fry.

'Boxty' my arse, if that's what's happening now in the midlands and north-west, then it's all getting a bit too 'fancy' for my liking. If they can't hold the line in that part of the country then we're all fúcked.

Just to recap, a traditional Irish fry-up should have at least three of the following items:

Sausages
    Pudding Black and/or White
    Rashers
    Fried Eggs......Scrambled if you're into 'the arts'.
    Baked Beans in tomato ketchup
    Fried Mushrooms
    Lots of toasts and lashings of scalding hot tea.

Throw on a fried tomato to look at if you must, but don't dare eat the thing.
    (I know a lad who - after a feed of Poitín the night before - ate the tomato in a cafe in Clonmel, when the waitress came to collect the plates she started searching under the table for the fried tomato, not believing that my maladjusted pal had actually chewed and swallowed it, even after he told her he had.)
    Needless to say he was very sick for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

What’s the “obsession” with putting fruit and veg on a plate mean for fried meat?

Just give 3-4 rashers, 2 sausages, 2 white pudding, 2 black pudding, brown sauce, toast and tea.

It’s pretty simple. You can keep your mushroom water, tomato juice and bean sauce to yourselves. Enough of this woke, PC, hysteria.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

'Boxty' my arse, if that's what's happening now in the midlands and north-west, then it's all getting a bit too 'fancy' for my liking. If they can't hold the line in that part of the country then we're all fúcked.

Just to recap, a traditional Irish fry-up should have at least three of the following items:

Sausages
    Pudding Black and/or White
    Rashers
    Fried Eggs......Scrambled if you're into 'the arts'.
    Baked Beans in tomato ketchup
    Fried Mushrooms
    Lots of toasts and lashings of scalding hot tea.

There's 10 times more tradition in Boxty than baked beans with an Irish fry-up.
    If they have to be there, at the very least they should be in a separate ramekin so they're not contaminating the other ingredients.

chosen1 wrote: »
    There's 10 times more tradition in Boxty than baked beans with an Irish fry-up.
    If they have to be there, at the very least they should be in a separate ramekin so they're not contaminating the other ingredients.

Boxty is a fúcking pancake.
    We're talking a breakfast fry-up for fully-grown adults, not a children's garden party.
    Get a grip man!

• Advertisement

Boxty is a fúcking pancake.
    We're talking a breakfast fry-up for fully-grown adults, not a children's garden party.
    Get a grip man!

Boxty is more a potato cake than a pancake. The real pancakes are on the Ulster.

Advertisement