Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fry-up in the morning. Is it unhealthy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 backofthepack

kg703 wrote: »
    You have to get the white pudding.... my god. I went vegetarian 6 months ago but I'd prob kill the pig myself for that pudding.

Have you tried the Clonakilty veggie pudding?
    I went veggie for lent so tried this, a very very good substitute, and I was very skeptical!

Queen of tarts in Dublin make the most amazing home made baked beans

2 sausages
    2 bacon
    A fried egg (major fail if it busts)
    Beans
    Mushrooms (optional)
    Fried tomato
    Tea
    Toast

Not into the hash browns (heartburn)

Have you tried the Clonakilty veggie pudding?
    I went veggie for lent so tried this, a very very good substitute, and I was very skeptical!

Queen of tarts in Dublin make the most amazing home made baked beans

I was very impressed with it too. I like the veggie Denny sausages as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,211 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Streaky or back rashers lads? I'd eat both without fuss in a fry,but a back rasher is probably better for the fry,and a streaky in a sambo or burger?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Had some of that Rudd's white pudding with chorizo. Fierce continental, lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

I know first hand, of a man who’s had a big fry up , every morning since he retired at 64, big belly on him, buts he’s 86 now and going strong as an ox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Post time 5:49am.

Thinly veiled I’m up since 5am and have a fry and all eaten :D:D:D

Joking of course.
    Don’t see any problem with this or a full fry up but not every day and once your working it off during the day it’ll be grand.
    In fairness, I think he's in Asia so it'd be later in the day there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

The only time I ever have a fry up is if I'm staying in a hotel in Ireland. The quality isn't great usually but it depends on where you go. I would also make one at home at Christmastime but I find I enjoy the idea of it more than the actual eating of it.

House up in Howth do a decent dry up - big thick herby sausages, homemade baked beans with gubeen cheese, black pudding, and sourdough toast. It's a bit posher than your average caf but pretty tasty, and you don't feel like sh!te afterwards.

For the most part though, fry ups are unhealthy. Sausage, rashers; both very high in fat and salt content. Oily fried eggs swimming in grease, well enough said about that.

+1 on turkey rashers - they're actually pretty nice, stick em in a batch bread sandwich with a fried egg and some relish. Boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Corona20

Fish sauce. No one has mentioned the fish sauce. Vomit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Corona20 wrote: »

I cam here to mention that!

I mean WTF!!!!

Fish sauce on a fry? Am I fcuking missing something here? Sounds rank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,619 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Streaky or back rashers lads? I'd eat both without fuss in a fry,but a back rasher is probably better for the fry,and a streaky in a sambo or burger?

Streaky in a baguette, back rashers on the plate. Brown sauce on both.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Corona20 wrote: »

Some people put ketchup on a fry. Each to their own :P

KevRossi wrote: »

I mean WTF!!!!

It's just unami / msg.. It's great for cooking with. Smells like the most vile thing in the world when you add it, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I made myself a bit of a fry earlier and can't see how it was that unhealthy.. Half a teaspoon of olive oil. Onions. Garlic. Mushrooms. Cherry tomatoes. Slice of bacon. Scrambled eggs. Slice of brown bread toast. All cooked on a low to medium heat with a dash of fish sauce.

You always hear that fries are terrible but I'm not seeing it. I'm not overweight so don't care about some bacon, and the rest could be put into any "healthy" meal. The fish sauce has sodium but I only used a tiny bit.

Does the mantra that they're a heart attack on a plate come from them being cooked in loads of crappy oil or lard? I definitely made some very unhealthy ones in the past with tonnes of oil.

Worst fry up ever.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Brian? wrote: »
    Worst fry up ever.

I think we have all confirmed that is not a fry up :D

I mean WTF!!!!

It's just unami / msg.. It doesn't actually taste like fish. It's great for cooking with. Smells like the most vile thing in the world when you add it, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Its a fry down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

It's just unami / msg.. It doesn't actually taste like fish. It's great for cooking with. Smells like the most vile thing in the world when you add it, though.

Yeah but I don't think your getting the full bang of Unami with a fry up.

Now if you were to take a chicken/turkey mince, have - Lime juice, green chilli, honey/palm sugar, fish sauce, rice wine viniger, coriander and basil.
    You'd see a much stronger presence of unami. Make a Thi inspired burger pattie you'd get that kick of unami a lot more as you're seating it with all the required flavor components.

Throwing it into a fry would just increase the salt content.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

antix80 wrote: »
    Op, you can make it healthier by spraying it with 1 cal oil and cooking it in the oven. I know technically it's not a fry but contains fewer calories and you can always dab off the excess oil with a paper towel.

Poach the eggs instead of scrambling.

I'd also recommend substituting the bacon for a turkey rasher.

Oh Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Lard isn't particularly unhealthy. Myth. Frying can be due to cooking processes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

I mean WTF!!!!

No you're not missing anything, FFS imagine even letting fish sauce within a mile of a fry up is sacrilege

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Op, you can make it healthier by spraying it with 1 cal oil and cooking it in the oven. I know technically it's not a fry but contains fewer calories and you can always dab off the excess oil with a paper towel.

I'd say you're savage craic at parties.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The butchers ring (oooer) for me, or Rudd’s if I’m in a shop.

I'm liking Shaw's this weather, as well as Rudd's - the latter is class, unusual enough consistency. Clonakilty have upped their game nicely the last few years after a period in the doldrums.

EDIT: How could I forget to give honourable mention to Staunton's and de Róiste - class puddens as well.

I was prepared to tolerate this up until your last line. Turkey "rashers" can roast in the same circle of Hades as turkey "burgers" and any quorn shite masquerading as food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Sure that's not a fry.

Well sex is gone ( divorce) do Kelly's will have to do

For many, divorce increases the frequency of sex to at least once a year.

You should try a Continental breakfast "A rasher and a ride"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

re fish sauce - I'm guessing it wouldn't be too far off throwing a sprinkling of Worcestershire sauce into the frying pan. And if you haven't done that, then try it

For many, divorce increases the frequency of sex to at least once a year.

You should try a Continental breakfast "A rasher and a ride"

Sex is well-and-fine, but I notice a good rasher is getting harder to find lately. Hitherto God-fearing brands such as Herlihy's are becoming miserated, stringy, water-filled affairs and joyless to cook and even less so to eat. I am however, liking Oliver Carty organic dry-cure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

A fry up once in a while wont hurt every day for a repeat number of years caused a family member to have a heart attack. Porridge for me every morning and a fry the weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭Homelander

The typical Irish fry probably has about 2,000 calories and 500% of the daily recommended intake of saturated fat and salt. Which is what makes them so good.

What's described in the OP is a light salad.

Advertisement