Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A fry-up in the morning. Is it unhealthy?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I went to Spain once

All they seem to have is streaky

Not great for the bowels a week of that

The Americans are the same, their breakfast bacon is all belly-pork and narry a back-rasher to be seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

cj maxx wrote: »
    I'd never heard of unami. Something new every day I suppose

It's that savoury "meaty flavour, as mentioned above it is common in Soy and MSG (just an extrcat for that kind of flavour and not the evil it's made out to be). Also found in parmesan cheese and tomatoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

cj maxx wrote: »
    Onion and mushrooms and tomato defo in a fry up.
    Fry the mushrooms with the tomatoes fcucking lovely

Couldn't agree less.
    The tomato on a fry-up is there for purely decorative purposes, and should never, ever, be eaten.
    Leave it on the plate like any normal Irish person, don't be getting 'notions'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I've noticed that there are 2 types of currywurst in Germany. One is with curry sauce slathered all over the chopped sausages and this is very good. I first had it in the main railway station in Cologne and went back for it everyday for the weekend. The other type is the chopped sausages with just curry powder sprinkled over and this is sh1t.

I've never had the second type, it doesn't sound appetising. If you're ever in Berlin check out Witty's, they do great currywurst and it's all organic. The last time I was there they had opened a van outside Schönfeld Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Whoa, no need to start throwing personal insults around just because you made a fry that only a, long haul, trucker could enjoy. The kind “served up” on a, late night, ferry crossing.

I believe a central “tenet” of this site is to attack the post and not the poster. Please adhere to this in future, you’re letting yourself down. Just like your fry.

This is the benchmark of a good fry. If it gets the stamp of approval from a bearded, diesel-smelling trucker or a donkey-jacket wearing docker then that is akin to a michelin star.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is not a fry. It is a hot salad with a rasher.

A proper fry has to include 3 sausages, hash browns, pudding, 2-3 eggs fried or scrambled, greasy mushrooms, 2-3 rashers. If you want something healthy then you can fry a half of a tomato but obviously you don't actually eat it.
    Big mug of coffee or tea is the beverage of choice.
    On a good day course number 2 iss pancakes with maple syrup.

Yes they are unhealthy.

Hot salad lol good one

Couldn't agree less.
    The tomato on a fry-up is there for purely decorative purposes, and should never, ever, be eaten.

I always eat the tomato, I never heard anyone ever saying that it wasn't meant to be eaten, seems like a waste. The jury is out on baked beans though, for me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Couldn't agree less.
    The ones you find on most fries, Irish or otherwise, are made with nasty unripe tomatoes, straight from the fridge, and warmed up under a grill for 5 seconds. Horrible.

If you do it properly, i.e. use nice ripe tomatoes, season with freshly ground salt and black pepper, a little oil, and actually grill them until they take on a bit of colour, they're great.

Fish sauce? On a fry?

I’m calling the Gardaí, it’s for your own good

• Registered Users Posts: 34 doodledoo2

Alun wrote: »
    The ones you find on most fries, Irish or otherwise, are made with nasty unripe tomatoes, straight from the fridge, and warmed up under a grill for 5 seconds. Horrible.

If you do it properly, i.e. use nice ripe tomatoes, season with freshly ground salt and black pepper, a little oil, and actually grill them until they take on a bit of colour, they're great.

In England they often serve the whole canned type:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This is the benchmark of a good fry. If it gets the stamp of approval from a bearded, diesel-smelling trucker or a donkey-jacket wearing docker then that is akin to a michelin star.

If you can find a driver of a modern Actross or Globetrotter smelling of diesel then I doff my cap. That aside, I agree. "Oh Royal is the Routier... " ðŸ˜

jimgoose wrote: »
    The Americans are the same, their breakfast bacon is all belly-pork and narry a back-rasher to be seen.

I remember staying in a B&B when I was young and we were served up streaky rashers as part of our breakfast fry up. My mother was furious saying she wouldn't insult anyone with them and the owner was obviously very mean.

Fish sauce? On a fry?

I’m calling the Gardaí, it’s for your own good

They might be lesbians, they look for any excuse to have fish sauce, they even do shots of it at parties.

Haven't had an irish breakfast in ten years and don't miss it. Poor quality meat made from animals that never see the light of day served with sugary beans, oily hash browns and undercooked tomatoes? Each to their own but Nah.

You do know that you are perfectly entitled to seek out rashers and sausages made from happy piggies spoiled by a doting farmer. Add to the mix some nice free-range eggs from plump chickens who have the run of the farmyard. The butter for your toast can come from fat, coddled, resplendent cows. Your potatoes, you can dig up yourself or procure from a farmers' market and par-boil then fry to perfection with a sprinking of Galway sea salt.

The salmon that you eat is most likely a tortured, farmed, misfortune whereby dye pellets have been added to the water to accentuate the pink colour instead of some brave majestic beast who has launched over waterfalls and battled with an angler before losing the fight but losing it with dignity.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,033 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

doodledoo2 wrote: »

It's incredible. What makes anyone think a canned tomato would be a good idea?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Is mustard supposed to be posh now?

When did that happen?

She probably thought that mustard was classy since the French make Dijon. Never mind that French cutthroat football hooligans and taxi drivers probably slather it on their jambon baguette.

doodledoo2 wrote: »

No No No,! My experiences of the "Full English" is that the quality of the products are usually pretty inferior. Had haggis once in Scotland instead of white pudding which was better than I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,582 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Wouldn’t agree there. That’s like taking the advice of a “white van man” on breakfast rolls.

You’re talking about people who would eat dog food if it were fried or “sopping” with grease, all washed down with a bottle of lucozade and a fag. Hardly a “refined” palate.

I tell you what, maybe try getting your breakfast somewhere other than a garage or shopping centre. Once we’re through to the other side of this crisis, of course. You’ll find there’s places far superior to the muck you’re swilling in one of those “Kay’s Kitchen” or “Kylemore” type establishments.

The last couple of breakfasts that impressed me, personally, were in The Hazel House at the foot of the Dublin Mountains and Castlemartyr Resort Hotel. Lovely stuff.

It was a dark day for the “upmarket” breakfast when the Millstone on Dame St took their one off the menu. Very dark indeed.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

It's incredible. What makes anyone think a canned tomato would be a good idea?

To be fair, the tomato is never going to be eaten in a fry-up anyway, so why not indeed use a canned one.
    Or better still, one of those plastic tomatoes you get in a kiddies toy shop. Give it a quick wipe with a dirty cloth when you're done, and it's 'plate ready' for tomorrow morning's breakfast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Colemans English Mustard obligatory

They may have pillaged us for 800 years but dammit they make good mustard

• Advertisement

Whatever you are serving the vegetarians for breakfast you can thrown that on mine too I always say.

I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wouldn’t agree there. That’s like taking the advice of a “white van man” on breakfast rolls.

You’re talking about people who would eat dog food if it were fried or “sopping” with grease, all washed down with a bottle of lucozade and a fag. Hardly a “refined” palate.

I tell you what, maybe try getting your breakfast somewhere other than a garage or shopping centre. Once we’re through to the other side of this crisis, of course. You’ll find there’s places far superior to the muck you’re swilling in one of those “Kay’s Kitchen” or “Kylemore” type establishments.

The last couple of breakfasts that impressed me, personally, were in The Hazel House at the foot of the Dublin Mountains and Castlemartyr Resort Hotel. Lovely stuff.

It was a dark day for the “upmarket” breakfast when the Millstone on Dame St took their one off the menu. Very dark indeed.

Hazel house does great food but not for breakfast. It’s a poor fry.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I like the spreadable white pudding that you can smear on your toast.

giphy.gif

Amen to that, FXBs do great pudding

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Her indoors picked up sausage rolls filled with black pudding from dunnes a couple of weeks ago

Merciful hour the taste of them

Perfection

Her indoors picked up sausage rolls filled with black pudding from dunnes a couple of weeks ago

Perfection

There’s a Morton’s supermarket next door to my job and they do them at the deli. Deeelightful

Perfection

What a review!
    The late A.A. Gill couldn't have put it better himself.

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Colemans English Mustard obligatory

They may have pillaged us for 800 years but dammit they make good mustard

To all those who can't agree on a sauce I would recommend trying this....

you may balk at first but that's the natural human resistance to change and / or suspicion of the unknown....

please bear with me. We have the three condiments....Coleman's English Mustard, Heinze or Chef Ketchup and a brown sauce whether it be Chef, HP or YR.

Now.....take a teaspoon of all three and mix in an egg cup or small tea cup. The finished product will have a light brown hue.

Try that as an accompaniment to your fry and let me know your verdict. To some I expect it will be an epiphany...others will call foul.....others still shall scoff at the thought of even entertaining such an exercise but to those of you who are adventurous and stout of heart I say try and allow your taste buds to overrule your intransigence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

This "opinion" is all wrong. Snobbery about breakfast fries is like snobbery about MMA.

Advertisement