Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Normality has resumed in Donegal, I guess that's that for the summer then. At least we got a good 10 day spell out if it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

Hardly a drop of rain in Kildare since very early this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Unreal amounts of rain falling here most of the day in east Cork. Absolutely teeming down continuously.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I blame it on your constant mocking and downplaying of the rain, always wanting more heavier, meaningful downpours and destructive thunderstorms, its nature's way of laughing back at you :pac:

Never in my life have I witnessed a summer with such consistently low rainfall rates!

Once again, I am puzzled as to why Galway was again included in those rainfall warnings issued yesterday for today. Nothing more than the very odd spit here which is nothing more than was expected.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭appledrop

Its been raining here since early morning but it probably won't show up as much in mm as its that drizzlely/ misty rain all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Avoiding the rain again in South Mayo!
    Very humid though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

After stubbornly squinting for the guts of an hour, finally gave in and turned the light on at 4.15 so i could read properly. Immediately checked date to confirm i hadn't fallen into a deep slumber and woken up in mid November.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »
    Its been raining here since early morning but it probably won't show up as much in mm as its that drizzlely/ misty rain all day long.

same here in Meath, we've been stuck under a misty drizzle grey slate layer since yesterday morning and the ground has remained damp throughout. Apart from some showers last night it is mostly just misty rain but it's enough to keep everywhere looking wet and feeling damp.

After such a disappointing run of weather the change over to the Atlantic from later tomorrow won't see much difference here other than the rainfall, we might even get back to start seeing some sun so this change in the pattern isn't really going to very noticeable here other than rain and wind, temperatures might even improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Think the east side of cork city is getting hit more then the west (bishopstown, togher etc). While it's constantly raining, there's no monsoon type rain yet.

Cork safety alerts posting that parts of midelton are now flooded and barely passable as is Cloyne

5 straight hours of very heavy downpours in east Cork. Localised flooding especially on secondary roads. Haven't see anything like it in quite a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,695 ✭✭✭✭josip

Normality has resumed in Donegal, I guess that's that for the summer then. At least we got a good 10 day spell out if it

And we had the good fortune to schedule our summer break for Tuesday to Friday last week in Donegal. We were so happy with the weather we extended by a day until Saturday. Swam every day.

It has been miserable today in Dublin compared to last week in the NW.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

I won't even try to describe the rain falling in Gorey the last few hours but especially the last 45 mins..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Think the east side of cork city is getting hit more then the west (bishopstown, togher etc). While it's constantly raining, there's no monsoon type rain yet.

Cork safety alerts posting that parts of midelton are now flooded and barely passable as is Cloyne

Sun is shining in west cork today and dry virtually all day.

Sun is shining in west cork today and dry virtually all day.

West Cork had the best of it today. North and East Cork torrential rain since midday.

web17_radar15_202008171700.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Never in my life have I witnessed a summer with such consistently low rainfall rates!

Once again, I am puzzled as to why Galway was again included in those rainfall warnings issued yesterday for today. Nothing more than the very odd spit here which is nothing more than was expected.

All joking aside I have to agree with you, even what's forecast for the rest of the evening /night comes nowhere near a warning level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭appledrop

27.7mm of rain so far today at Moore Park so definitely heavy rainfall out there just maybe not where predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

No longer avoiding the rain

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Pops_20

The last few days have just been terrible. If it wasn't so humid it would feel like November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

what does the yellow hashed lines around the southern and eastern coastline denote on the met eireann weather warning mobile app,it seems to be a new feauture,but no explanation as what it pertaines to.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Spent Fri to today in Westport and it was glorious on Friday and Saturday, Sunday was overcast from 5pm but still warm.
    We sat out on Saturday evening until almost midnight, beautiful weather.
    I'm so glad Donegal got some good weather they tend to have the worst of it most times.
    So blessed to have a mini break before the deluges started. Sunshine is essential for the soul and we've seen precious little of that this summer with the cloud.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If I had known the west and north-west in particular where going to enjoy 7 to 10 days of summer I may have planned a staycation there and actually experienced summer.

The past two days here in Meath have been chilly and misty. This evening has turned quite foggy and now there is heavy rain along with the fog which is an unusual sight.

Tomorrow looks an improvement for eastern areas in terms of temperature with temperatures climbing back into the high teens and possibly scraping 20C in a few areas if there is any sunshine. Overall a very wet scene across the country from tomorrow with no shortage of rainfall over the next 7 to 14 days. There is a glimmer of hope that things may begin to settle down during the first week of September but that is a long way off. The doors of Autumn have swung open.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Avoiding alot of the rain here in south Laois, and indeed across much of the county. Looking at the radar loop and it's literally spinning around our borders!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Back after over 6 weeks on the med. You couldn't see the runway in Dublin until we were about 10 meters above it this evening. I have to say I enjoyed the squabbling over our terrible weather on this forum while I was away. Some people just really p*ssed off. Some people convincing themselves a 19c windy as f*ck day with the odd bit of sun is a lovely summer's day. At least I don't care about having to stay indoors for a while, who'd want to go out in that?
    Our options to travel may change in future as it has this summer, but sun lovers like myself just need to spend as much time as possible in the sunny Euro places or you'll just be miserable stuck in this crap day after day. Hopefully next summer travel options are better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

Danno wrote: »
    Avoiding alot of the rain here in south Laois, and indeed across much of the county. Looking at the radar loop and it's literally spinning around our borders!

Same in Kildare. Hardly a drop all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Back after over 6 weeks on the med. You couldn't see the runway in Dublin until we were about 10 meters above it this evening. I have to say I enjoyed the squabbling over our terrible weather on this forum while I was away. Some people just really p*ssed off. Some people convincing themselves a 19c windy as f*ck day with the odd bit of sun is a lovely summer's day. At least I don't care about having to stay indoors for a while, who'd want to go out in that?
    Our options to travel may change in future as it has this summer, but sun lovers like myself just need to spend as much time as possible in the sunny Euro places or you'll just be miserable stuck in this crap day after day. Hopefully next summer travel options are better.

Good for you - but is there really a need to gloat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pig sick of this 'summer', and so much for the promise of even some proper rain today. 1.0mm accumulated from the occasional spits :rolleyes:

My attention is now increasingly turning to winter. Probably will be just a repeat of this summer but at least we won't have to be looking at that God awful, low hanging sky for 15 hours + a day.

New Moon

Pig sick of this 'summer', and so much for the promise of even some proper rain today. 1.0mm accumulated from the occasional spits :rolleyes:

My attention is now increasingly turning to winter. Probably will be just a repeat of this summer but at least we won't have to be looking at that God awful, low hanging sky for 15 hours + a day.

One of the worst summers I have ever experienced since I was born. Summer started 1st of June and ended 24 hours later on June the 2nd. By then I had developed a decent farmers tan from the sunny Spring and that is long gone and back to being a milkbottle after 2 and a half months of almost continuous cloud with the exception of 4 or 5 isolated sunny days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭pauldry

I'd say Sligo had the best June in all of Ireland. We had 25 days of little or no rain after a very dry May. It rained like crazy on the 26th June and then for a month or so. We had one of the worst Julys in all of Ireland. First 15 days were cold dark and dank. Next 16 weren't much better but there was sun. Beginning of August had 30 mm ofcrain but then 10 fairly warm dry sunny days in the 20s but I think that's our lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Gonzo wrote: »
    If I had known the west and north-west in particular where going to enjoy 7 to 10 days of summer I may have planned a staycation there and actually experienced summer.

The past two days here in Meath have been chilly and misty. This evening has turned quite foggy and now there is heavy rain along with the fog which is an unusual sight.

Tomorrow looks an improvement for eastern areas in terms of temperature with temperatures climbing back into the high teens and possibly scraping 20C in a few areas if there is any sunshine. Overall a very wet scene across the country from tomorrow with no shortage of rainfall over the next 7 to 14 days. There is a glimmer of hope that things may begin to settle down during the first week of September but that is a long way off. The doors of Autumn have swung open.

arragh would ya stop being so dramatic man,the doors were never closed in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Heavy rain has appeared but again is restricted to the far Western fringes of the county, that's the issue with a full county warning with a county like Galway.

The other thing I've found with Galway is that if there is a hint of a good day, head for the coast, I have seen the cloud dissappear as soon as you enter the city and had great days at the beach.
    On the flip side I have seen days where it is misty and gloomy in the city and then pleasant 20+ kilometres away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement