Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭appledrop

Even though Saturday was beautiful still never hit 20 degrees at DA.

I know rest of you sunning yourself with mid 20 temperatures lately but we have barely hit 20 degrees here at DA at any time in August.

Now August has still been far better than July! At least not raining all time although I hear that's about to change next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭appledrop

Gonzo wrote: »
    In Dunshaughlin, about 20km inland from the coast.

I would have guessed Ashbourne as your weather always seems similar to us here in North County Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »
    I would have guessed Ashbourne as your weather always seems similar to us here in North County Dublin.

I guess the 15km or so between here and north Dublin doesn't make a whole lot of difference except maybe on properly warm and sunny days with a bit less of a sea temperature reduction, but if the sea breeze is fairly strong then we are just as cool. The cloudy muck of the past 10 days has more or less dominated all of Dublin, southern half of Meath , north Kildare and north Wicklow so very little weather difference.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Today's temperature max, almost a 10C difference between a summer Mayo and mid autumn Dublin.

txint_uk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Lovely day in Donegal again, was outside in shorts and t-shirt until after midnight. Bizarre reading comments of people lighting fires and having the heat on.

It's crazy how different the weather can be over such short distances when we're all under the same weather pattern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sunday was garbage in Dublin. Suited me somewhat as I'd painting to be doing but still...

How are the next few weeks looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭pauldry

Mixed for all the rest of August and cool with rain nearly all the days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Ok While I accept July was muck in Dublin, August has been very pleasant. I have been out with the kids pretty much every day and hardly a drop of rain and a good few days in the 20s. Today is pants but August has been anything but poor

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

pauldry wrote: »
    Mixed for all the rest of August and cool with rain nearly all the days

That's it so... Autumn is here then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭esposito

Ok While I accept July was muck in Dublin, August has been very pleasant. I have been out with the kids pretty much every day and hardly a drop of rain and a good few days in the 20s. Today is pants but August has been anything but poor

While I agree that August has been an improvement on July, it could have been so much better for Dublin and the east the last 10 days. We should have seen more sunshine but unfortunately stubborn cloud prevented this. Temperatures were warm but could have been a lot warmer if we had more sunshine like the west.

The next week to 10 days look grim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Glad I made the most of the good weather Friday and Saturday.

Looks like it will be next year before we get into mid 20s with sunshine like that again. Autumn might be good hopefully. Think with lockdown/no foreign holidays people deserve some sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes Govt should provide us with a sunshine grant;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

A few billion would go a long way for a cloud seeding programme surely. Intercept the clouds and make them drop the rain offshore :pac:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU4z8ZiX_eA

• Registered Users Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The scandavians get a grant to go to sun holidays if they're above a certain age.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Lovely day in Donegal again, warm and calm with milky sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭KevRossi

We could be in Death Valley of course, highest reliably recorded temperature in history yesterday.

https://twitter.com/NWSVegas/status/1295184960546934786

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

Weather Advisory for Ireland

Unseasonably wet and windy weather is expected at times this week with further rainfall warnings likely and possible wind warnings.
    Windy weather on Thursday and Friday may result in unsafe conditions over high ground, lakes and sea areas.

Valid: 12:00 Monday 17/08/2020 to 18:00 Saturday 22/08/2020

Issued: 12:00 Monday 17/08/2020

another damp, drizzly day in Meath, no change on yesterday's muck with similar temperatures - 14C currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Gonzo wrote: »
    another damp, drizzly day in Meath, no change on yesterday's muck with similar temperatures - 14C currently.

just wondering would you ever considering leaving the Meath area at some point in the near future? or have you settled there permenantley. just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Wet day in Cork City. Thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Yep misty rain turned very heavy in cork .....

I spent the weekend on Clare Island and it was like the south of France, balmy heat, sunshine, no wind, blue skies, lots of swimming. The West definitely hit the jackpot recently and also Donegal. I dont begrudge Donegal its recent good weather as it gets far more then its fair share of rain. My sister lives there and between colder temperatures and lots of rain and grey skies it can be dismal.

I used to live in Navan, now I'm 4km from Bettystown and the difference is huge in weather terms. I sympathize with Gonzo,those 20km or so inland make all the difference. Here its like a micro-climate, you can actually see a blue strip of sky the closer you get to the beach, yet when you look back you see clouds just a few KM inland.

Today though is pretty grim!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rain clearing here in meath after a wet enough morning, have to say i dont find today chilly or yesterday either, no heating needed here yet thankfully

just wondering would you ever considering leaving the Meath area at some point in the near future? or have you settled there permenantley. just curious.

If I was rich I would definitely buy a second home and spend several months outside this country where I could enjoy a proper summer and perhaps a month in the winter to see a real winter too.

If I could pick I would probably spend several months per year in Germany or eastern France, but I would never sell the home in Meath. We've had a poor summer here in Meath, the wettest July since 2009 and a very disappointing August where the warm spell never really got going with so much cloud around and misty days. Overall this has been one of the poorest summers in the past 15 years here, our summers here in Meath are rarely this cloudy throughout the entire season. The Dublin/Meath area may well end up with it's cloudiest summer on record, we shall see the results around 1st week of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

KevRossi wrote: »
    We could be in Death Valley of course, highest reliably recorded temperature in history yesterday.

https://twitter.com/NWSVegas/status/1295184960546934786

Wouldn't mind that for a few days. The place is soaked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gloriously heavy low grey skies in Galway again with wallpaper in hallway sagging off the wall because of the constantly high humidity which there seems to be no escape from. What a bollox spell of weather this has turned out to be. While I am delighted that the NW has seen some good summer sunshine over the last week - it is more than well-deserved for sure, for us in the west, and Galway at least, we just can't seem to get out of that dour rut that set in with a what clearly was a spiteful vengeance since the last days of June.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Air seems to have cleared in Cork City, doesn't feel as heavy/humid, a bit cooler at 17 degrees but its still raining. all morning and now all afternoon pretty much. August had a great start with the warm weather, but then it got dull, parts of Cork got destroyed with floods and now its raining yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Gloriously heavy low grey skies in Galway again with wallpaper in hallway sagging off the wall because of the constantly high humidity which there seems to be no escape from. What a bollox spell of weather this has turned out to be. While I am delighted that the NW has seen some good summer sunshine over the last week - it is more than well-deserved for sure, for us in the west, and Galway at least, we just can't seem to get out of that dour rut that set in with a what clearly was a spiteful vengeance since the last days of June.

I blame it on your constant mocking and downplaying of the rain, always wanting more heavier, meaningful downpours and destructive thunderstorms, its nature's way of laughing back at you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I blame it on your constant mocking and downplaying of the rain, always wanting more heavier, meaningful downpours and destructive thunderstorms, its nature's way of laughing back at you :pac:

I'd gladly take proper rain over the relentless grey humidity of the past few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Epic rain in cork city right now ...monsoon rates

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement