Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just gone very stormy here. Lashing rain + very windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Not a bad morning in Dublin, oddly enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nice enough in Donegal as well other than the stiff breeze, plenty of sunshine. Nothing major here last night though I was awoken by heavy rain battering against the window around 5am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Very windy in wexford but the sun is shining. No major damage just things blown across the garden.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not much damage here in Meath but we did have a whole night without power and broadband which only came back this morning.

Still fairly windy here but mostly sunny and feeling quite warm, temperature 20C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So summer is over, no sign of any good weather before September. Pretty awful really. I remember June 1st being beautiful and one more day at the end of June where it was like 26c in Dublin, they're the only 2 really good days I experienced. Then again I was away for most of July and half of August, I don't think I missed much!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

So summer is over, no sign of any good weather before September. Pretty awful really. I remember June 1st being beautiful and one more day at the end of June where it was like 26c in Dublin, they're the only 2 really good days I experienced. Then again I was away for most of July and half of August, I don't think I missed much!

Dublin and it's surrounding areas got particularly unlucky this summer with no spell of warm or sunny weather this summer. After June the 2nd all we had was the odd individual sunny day. Very little Sunshine in Dublin from the end of June to the first half of August, infact since the Atlantic has come back it's actually sunnier here now more regularly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Gonzo wrote: »
    not much damage here in Meath but we did have a whole night without power and broadband which only came back this morning.

Still fairly windy here but mostly sunny and feeling quite warm, temperature 20C.

Snap, got the lawn cut this afternoon in Meath. Think power didnt go here. Some parts of Galway still without power as in touch with family.

Jesus its like the middle of winter.

Tonight seems to be even worse than last night here in Dublin. Wind is unreal + lashing+ pitch dark since about 8pm.

Very depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

appledrop wrote: »
    Jesus its like the middle of winter.

Tonight seems to be even worse than last night here in Dublin. Wind is unreal + lashing+ pitch dark since about 8pm.

Very depressing.

Yeah it's grim

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,702 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It certainly looks grim for the next few days. Hopefully the weather will settle down towards the first week of September

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Gonzo wrote: »
    Dublin and it's surrounding areas got particularly unlucky this summer with no spell of warm or sunny weather this summer. After June the 2nd all we had was the odd individual sunny day. Very little Sunshine in Dublin from the end of June to the first half of August, infact since the Atlantic has come back it's actually sunnier here now more regularly!

One or 2 posters would disagree with you on this Gonzo. They’d make comical Ali sound plausible.

It certainly looks grim for the next few days. Hopefully the weather will settle down towards the first week of September

I really hope your right because right now we are back where we started this time last year and that was followed by deluges most of the way to the first week of March. If it wasn't for that dry Spring we would be in real trouble. Deluges again in July. The past 12 months has really been very wet indeed and I think most of us can do without another Autumn/Winter combination repeat of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's much worse here in North Dublin tonight than last night

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's much worse here in North Dublin tonight than last night

And up in Drogheda too :eek:

This is seriously scary stuff tonight in NCD.

I went to sleep no problem last night, not case this evening. Howling here + rsin battering off the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭highdef

Much quieter tonight than last night in North Kildare. Not long back from a walk with the dog and was just just wearing a t-shirt (for my upper body). Was grand and mild and winds were very light, gusting up to a slight to fresh breeze. Can see distant lightning from the storms down south.

very little wind here in Meath tonight, we've had plenty of heavy rain tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

One or 2 posters would disagree with you on this Gonzo. They’d make comical Ali sound plausible.

Dublin 5 had a grand summer I hear :pac:

Autumn has well and truly arrived around here new, this morning was ok but it quickly went south and ended up a miserable dark, wet and windy day. Glad we got at least one good week to top up the vitamin D last week as I wouldn't be surprised if that's our lot until next April/May.

Hopefully we might squeeze a decent week out of September maybe

We are at gusts of 39 here now at DA over 72km + its getting worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭highdef

Heavy rain in North kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Peace at last. The air is chill and damp but all is quiet. Bliss...

Crazy weather last night in dublin 5. Couldn't sleep with the wind and rain. Last year it was windy from August till middle of March. For all we know now it may not settle down again for 9 months. Argh. Cycling to work in howling wind every day is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

Wow it’s bad out
    What a summer it’s been!
    Bank holiday weekend in June and a good week in mid August
    Going to be a long winter unless September delivers its usual back to school weather

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭obi604

highdef wrote: »
    Much quieter tonight than last night in North Kildare. Not long back from a walk with the dog and was just just wearing a t-shirt (for my upper body). Was grand and mild and winds were very light, gusting up to a slight to fresh breeze. Can see distant lightning from the storms down south.

Are you sure the t-shirt wasn’t on your lower body ?? :);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Even comical Ali couldn’t defend this utter **** show of a “summer”. It’s an appalling blustery dark showery morning out there although I’m sure someone will be along to tell us about a micro climate or wearing appropriate clothing etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Graces7 wrote: »
    Peace at last. The air is chill and damp but all is quiet. Bliss...

Can’t imagine how strong the wind was on the island

vladmydad wrote: »
    Can’t imagine how strong the wind was on the island

It gets... interesting but we adapt. My first winter here I opened the door and the wind took it, and me, and when it hit the wall, I got thrown down the drive.

Now? I have the old dog lead, which is permanently fastened through the grab rail inside the door and when it is windy it gets looped over the door handle. Routine. And that lets me let the cats in and out. Without going out which I never do in a bad gale.

It is the noise of the gales I find hardest.

People talk about the " romance" of walking in the wind, but that is dangerous in a gale.

Even comical Ali couldn’t defend this utter **** show of a “summer”. It’s an appalling blustery dark showery morning out there although I’m sure someone will be along to tell us about a micro climate or wearing appropriate clothing etc etc.

Nooooooooooooooooooo! That would not be kind!

But it doesn't worry me. Mind you I don't have outside commitments as most of you do. I can stay in.

• Advertisement

Seems to be getting even windier in Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement