Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

US2 wrote: »
    Yep and Australia and New Zealand cases not increasing atall. Kermit only spreads negative fear mongering nonsense.

Fair play to them. It shows what getting ahead of the outbreak with strict measures at the start can achieve in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,104 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

growleaves wrote: »
    My expectation is that we're going to be experiencing things like this more or less from now on. I don't mean pandemics as such, I mean crises with extreme actions taken in response.

A huge amount of people have shown their willingness to whip open a Pandora's Box of moral consequentialism.

Think of the all posters here, and on Twitter, who wanted the army brought out as a internal police force or who tried to vilify harmless people going about their lives.

What strange and wicked things are these people willing to do in order to, say, reduce CO2 emissions?

The sky's the limit. Things are going to be bad, bad, bad.

Maybe you should lay off the "leaves" for a while. It's interfering with your ability to think in a rational manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,076 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Back in March, after that video of the scene in a crowded Dublin pub, cystic fibrosis sufferer Ashe Spillane, who lives in Co. Kerry, criticised people in general for not distancing.

But her ill-health is nothing to do with the people who were in that pub - not to mention the distance between Dublin and Kerry! So cystic fibrosis is not their fault - it's nobody's fault at all!

So why was she blaming people who had never even seen or heard of her until she spoke out?

She was blaming them because that is the sort of behavior that would and could bring us back to square one.

That is the sort of behavior that could threaten her life and the lives of others with CF and other respiratory conditions.

CF is a terminal illness, in EVERY case. CF sufferers live every day with tremendous value. Good things have been achieved over the last 20 years... in the US the average lifespan of a CF patient is 37. 20 years plus ago it was less then half that. It WILL kill you, nobody recovers. The disease has been prevalent in our family so I know. One of my sisters died at 7 months, the other at 8 years.. approximately 900 people suffer with this condition at present in Ireland..

1 out of every 5 deaths in Ireland is related to a respiratory condition / disease, that’s almost 40% higher than the EU average...

In 2018, 4165 people died due to respiratory conditions...

So let’s again, think of others, as much as it sucks, put our social ‘needs’ to the back of the priority list, put the determination to make money at all costs, including human loss and suffering to bed...

It’s ****, nobody is liking this but it will be liked a whole lot less if things get out of hand when we had the chance to actually GIVE a hand and save lives, keep people healthy but balance sheets are more important to some...I get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

"Dr Tony" would much prefer to announce 5 dead tomorrow than zero deaths today.

The f*ck is up with the quotation marks Harry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭Polar101

2 deaths were de-notified so we have actually reduced our death toll today.

What does "de-notified" actually mean? "They got better?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,390 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Polar101 wrote: »

Suspected, tested, negative

Or we have a zombie apocalypse on our hands

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Polar101 wrote: »

The people died, but subsequent test results for Covid prove negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

So we also sometimes do 'presumed' positive cases as well? I saw an entire cluster was denotified yesterday. I wonder what is the point in announcing those cases when they havnt even confirmed them as positive yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,390 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

wakka12 wrote: »
    So we also sometimes do 'presumed' positive cases as well? I saw an entire cluster was denotified yesterday. I wonder what is the point in announcing those cases when they havnt even confirmed them as positive yet.

My thoughts too but other countries are doing presumptive as well so guess following the lead or is it a WHO directive?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

wakka12 wrote: »

In terms of death if a doctor suspects the patient died with covid it is listed as a covid death until a postive or negative test returns.

Clusters are denotifed if there hasn't been a case within that cluster for 14 days. It's no longer listed as an active cluster at that point so removed from the cluster stats. It was mentioned at one of the press conferences recently. As nursing home situations improve you'll see more clusters being denotifed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

In terms of death if a doctor suspects the patient died with covid it is listed as a covid death until a postive or negative test returns.

Clusters are denotifed if there hasn't been a case within that cluster for 14 days. It's no longer listed as an active cluster at that point so removed from the cluster stats. It was mentioned at one of the press conferences recently. As nursing home situations improve you'll see more clusters being denotifed
    I think the 14 days is for recovery. Is it not 28 days, i.e. 2 cycles before it's denotified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Its mad to think that this started with 1 person contracting COVID19

bb1234567 wrote: »
    It is odd that all of Latin America is peaking at the exact same time, despite a variety of different lockdown approaches. Chile and Peru have lockdown I believe but are on a very upward trajectory all of a sudden currently along with Mexico, Brazil

These are massive countries, territory wise, with large areas which are a long way from Central government control. Take Peru for example, a lot of tribes in the Amazon region would have more daily links with Brazil than the rest of Peru. Similar with the border with Ecuador, where there is both a high Andes, and Jungle border

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think the 14 days is for recovery. Is it not 28 days, i.e. 2 cycles before it's denotified?

Sorry I think your right, got my numbers mixed up. 2 incubation periods it is. 14 days is marked as recovered another 14 days with no cases in the cluster its denotifed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Its mad to think that this started with 1 person contracting COVID19

Yep, some filthy kernt that wanted to eat a ****ty bat arsehole

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-52764355

Another "Karen" that wants everybody looking ridicolous, whats this "new norm" crap ...
    whats wrong with these people that they want everyone wearing that ridicolous looking thing from now on - even when all this is done with....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

Steve F wrote: »
    Thanks
    I hope you're right
    What makes you confident of that?
    Genuine Question

If you let this ravage through a cruise ship the infection stops at a point. The trend is similar on us navy vessels as well as the cruise ships. Iirc 20 percent get infected and thats that.
    I guess they are the best test areas not to be ignored.

This behavior isn't sustainable for anyone, any alternative becomes worth the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Another "Karen" that wants everybody looking ridicolous, whats this "new norm" crap ...
    whats wrong with these people that they want everyone wearing that ridicolous looking thing from now on - even when all this is done with....

They're just asking for the use of clear masks rather than regular ones because it would be better for deaf people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I defo think that this is one weird virus. Wonder if it’s origin will ever be proved one way or another.

https://twitter.com/drericding/status/1265167451752407046?s=21

They're just asking for the use of clear masks rather than regular ones because it would be better for deaf people.

Bollocks, they want this sh1t forever, they want to virtue signal and are power hungry little nazis...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Did you read the article beyond the headline?

She says “Clear masks should be the norm for everyone in a healthcare setting," - she’s not saying for everyone or forever more!

And what’s wrong with her? She’s deaf! So she can’t lip read when people she’s dealing with wear a regular mask.

And this makes her a “power hungry little nazi”? You’re going a bit Karen yourself with the overreaction to someone offering a solution to a specific problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,397 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Bollocks, they want this sh1t forever, they want to virtue signal and are power hungry little nazis...

Because of a clear mask?

You seem to have your hat on too tight Hec

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I know and it makes our ranking even more shocking. Nursing homes were abandoned at the start of this crisis.

I defo think that this is one weird virus. Wonder if it’s origin will ever be proved one way or another.

Yeah means the human-made conspiracy will always hang out there. I really won't miss his self-aggrandising project when this is over!

and people will still defend China and lick their arse....

Onesea wrote: »
    If you let this ravage through a cruise ship the infection stops at a point. The trend is similar on us navy vessels as well as the cruise ships. Iirc 20 percent get infected and thats that.
    I guess they are the best test areas not to be ignored.

This behavior isn't sustainable for anyone, any alternative becomes worth the risk.

Stopped at 20% when all known and suspected cases and known contacts were isolated, and the remainder quarantined

Did you read the article beyond the headline?

She says “Clear masks should be the norm for everyone in a healthcare setting," - she’s not saying for everyone or forever more!

And what’s wrong with her? She’s deaf! So she can’t lip read when people she’s dealing with wear a regular mask.

And this makes her a “power hungry little nazi”? You’re going a bit Karen yourself with the overreaction to someone offering a solution to a specific problem.
    She's genuine, it's the BBC searching for the 2 millionth angle on this that's the issue.
    But seriously man, Karen meme? Really not cutting it as a stand-in for anything!

pjohnson wrote: »
    Because of a clear mask?

You seem to have your hat on too tight Hec

The clear mask is just one aspect of all this, just look at the state of the lynch mob after cummings too, about people screaming at others in shops not wearing masks (one case someone took off their mask to scream at them :rolleyes: )

One thing is this pandemic thought me is how uncivil we still are, from the panic buying at the start to this social shaming for anyone thinking for themselves.

Time to take another break from the internet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The clear mask is just one aspect of all this, just look at the state of the lynch mob after cummings too, about people screaming at others in shops not wearing masks (one case someone took off their mask to scream at them :rolleyes: )

One thing is this pandemic thought me is how uncivil we still are, from the panic buying at the start to this social shaming for anyone thinking for themselves.

Indeed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement