Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Onesea wrote: »
    Hang in there. This won't last much longer

Thanks
    I hope you're right
    What makes you confident of that?
    Genuine Question

• Registered Users Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Onesea wrote: »
    Hang in there. This won't last much longer

Some don’t want it to end

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭political analyst

Back in March, after that video of the scene in a crowded Dublin pub, cystic fibrosis sufferer Ashe Spillane, who lives in Co. Kerry, criticised people in general for not distancing.

But her ill-health is nothing to do with the people who were in that pub - not to mention the distance between Dublin and Kerry! So cystic fibrosis is not their fault - it's nobody's fault at all!

So why was she blaming people who had never even seen or heard of her until she spoke out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Some don’t want it to end

What? Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The masks on the bridal mannequins may come in handy years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,599 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

South Africa now seeing it's largest rises in cases and deaths in recent days which is more emerging evidence of the shift in focus, like flu, from northern to southern hemisphere with the season changes. And their first cases were back at the beginning of March. The upward trend has picked up pace through the middle of this months.

(1,032 new cases and 52 new deaths)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Steve F wrote: »
    What? Why?

There is no one who doesn't want it to end, but it's a debating tactic used by those who want restrictions lifted immediately to mischaracterise those who favour a more cautious approach as people who want total lock down to continue indefinitely.

It's childish, but that's where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭bb1234567

It is odd that all of Latin America is peaking at the exact same time, despite a variety of different lockdown approaches. Chile and Peru have lockdown I believe but are on a very upward trajectory all of a sudden currently along with Mexico, Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭growleaves

Steve F wrote: »
    I know this is kinda getting off the subject a little but I'm in my late 50's and before all this I was kinda jaded and very little surprised me anymore.
    Until this.....
    The last few months have been truly surreal.Its really been like a bad movie.If someone had told me what was going to happen not just here but worldwide I would have scoffed.
    At times it's even seemed like a bad dream yet I know it isn't.
    I truly hope myself or my children never experience the likes of this again

My expectation is that we're going to be experiencing things like this more or less from now on. I don't mean pandemics as such, I mean crises with extreme actions taken in response.

A huge amount of people have shown their willingness to whip open a Pandora's Box of moral consequentialism.

Think of the all posters here, and on Twitter, who wanted the army brought out as a internal police force or who tried to vilify harmless people going about their lives.

What strange and wicked things are these people willing to do in order to, say, reduce CO2 emissions?

The sky's the limit. Things are going to be bad, bad, bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Back in March, after that video of the scene in a crowded Dublin pub, cystic fibrosis sufferer Ashe Spillane, who lives in Co. Kerry, criticised people in general for not distancing.

But her ill-health is nothing to do with the people who were in that pub - not to mention the distance between Dublin and Kerry! So cystic fibrosis is not their fault - it's nobody's fault at all!

So why was she blaming people who had never even seen or heard of her until she spoke out?

She wasn’t blaming anyone for her CF. She was pointing out that as a CF sufferer, Covid 19 would most likely kill her if she contracted it, and that there were many others like her across the country, so she was pleading with people not to let it spread - even if they themselves felt at low risk from it. The point is that everyone’s health, in relation to a communicable disease, is interconnected. Drinking in a crowded pub in Dublin can have consequences for someone in Kerry.

Did you really think she was blaming people in a Dublin pub for her CF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

bb1234567 wrote: »
    It is odd that all of Latin America is peaking at the exact same time, despite a variety of different lockdown approaches. Chile and Peru have lockdown I believe but are on a very upward trajectory all of a sudden currently along with Mexico, Brazil

Its crazy alright with its east to west trajectory, like animals migrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

growleaves wrote: »
    My expectation is that we're going to be experiencing things like this more or less from now on. I don't mean pandemics as such, I mean crises with extreme actions taken in response.

A huge amount of people have shown their willingness to whip open a Pandora's Box of moral consequentialism.

Think of the all posters here, and on Twitter, who wanted the army brought out as a internal police force or who tried to vilify harmless people going about their lives.

What strange and wicked things are these people willing to do in order to, say, reduce CO2 emissions?

The sky's the limit. Things are going to be bad, bad, bad.

Tinfoil-hatted, conspiracy-theorist nonsense.

Tinfoil-hatted, conspiracy-theorist nonsense.

I'm not talking about conspiracies. I'm talking about moral consequentialism.

Did I imagine that the lockdown took place? If not, then its not really theoretical is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Its crazy alright with its east to west trajectory, like animals migrating

It flies in a V formation

.................V
    ..............O....I
    ............C.......D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭Christy42

I'm not talking about conspiracies. I'm talking about moral consequentialism.

Did I imagine that the lockdown took place? If not, then its not really theoretical is it?

Your post doesn't seem to talk about this Lock down. It is talking about future lock downs for silly reasons. Hence conspiracy theory stuff.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Your post doesn't seem to talk about this Lock down. It is talking about future lock downs for silly reasons. Hence conspiracy theory stuff.

I didn't say for silly reasons. When I said 'crises', I didn't say or mean 'manufactured crises' (which is what a conspiracy theorist would say)

This virus is real and the response to it has already occurred. It has laid bare people's attitudes to dealing with a crisis - they will permit all sorts of things which they would normally consider unjustifiable, and the evidence is here on these threads.

Nothing theoretical about it.

We already have another crisis waiting in the wings. Many believe that a failure to reduce CO2 emissions will lead to the deaths of millions of people, and they will greenlight all sorts of drastic actions to prevent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,390 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Were you heading to twitter and got lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

#scummedia #mediascum #enemiesofthepeople

today has been the toughest day since lockdown began. not knowing when or if I will see my family this year is breaking me. so #leovaradkar I hope you enjoyed your day in the park.

The MSM keep telling us that he was social distancing but he was not. This naive little twerp who is trying to destroy the UK by being a pawn of the EU who is being used is out of his depth and will drag Ireland down.

He should do what is right for his people and leave the EU and save his country from being a pawn and being rear ended by the EU who are raping them for all they are woth.

Hashtag thumbs down

I didn't say for silly reasons. When I said 'crises', I didn't say or mean 'manufactured crises' (which is what a conspiracy theorist would say)

This virus is real and the response to it has already occurred. It has laid bare people's attitudes to dealing with a crisis - they will permit all sorts of things which they would normally consider unjustifiable, and the evidence is here on these threads.

Nothing theoretical about it.

We already have another crisis waiting in the wings. Many believe that a failure to reduce CO2 emissions will lead to the deaths of millions of people, and they will greenlight all sorts of drastic actions to prevent it.

I don't think such a definitive comparison can be made.

Whatever about climate change. It's not an immediate threat, or at least it isn't perceived as such in the minds of most people in their daily lives.

Coronavirus was an immediate threat: we could all see the scenes from Italy, Spain, New York playing out quickly before our eyes. Then we had cases in Ireland, deaths in Ireland, ICU admissions rising quickly.

People felt an immediate threat and wanted the government to act. It wasn't a far away, semi-abstract problem: it was already here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

South Africa now seeing it's largest rises in cases and deaths in recent days which is more emerging evidence of the shift in focus, like flu, from northern to southern hemisphere with the season changes. And their first cases were back at the beginning of March. The upward trend has picked up pace through the middle of this months.

(1,032 new cases and 52 new deaths)

Except the winter in South Africa is similar to an Irish summer!

today has been the toughest day since lockdown began. not knowing when or if I will see my family this year is breaking me. so #leovaradkar I hope you enjoyed your day in the park.

The MSM keep telling us that he was social distancing but he was not. This naive little twerp who is trying to destroy the UK by being a pawn of the EU who is being used is out of his depth and will drag Ireland down.

He should do what is right for his people and leave the EU and save his country from being a pawn and being rear ended by the EU who are raping them for all they are woth.

Wow. That's really quite special.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

RugbyLad11 wrote:

It's the variation in their own weather / seasonal pattern rather than a comparison with us up north

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't think such a definitive comparison can be made.

Whatever about climate change. It's not an immediate threat, or at least it isn't perceived as such in the minds of most people in their daily lives.

Coronavirus was an immediate threat: we could all see the scenes from Italy, Spain, New York playing out quickly before our eyes. Then we had cases in Ireland, deaths in Ireland, ICU admissions rising quickly.

People felt an immediate threat and wanted the government to act. It wasn't a far away, semi-abstract problem: it was already here.

Well I can't be definitive about predicting the future. I'm just saying what I think will happen and it doesn't make me happy to say it or to think it.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

RugbyLad11 wrote:

It's the variation in their own weather / seasonal pattern rather than a comparison with us up north

Well I can't be definitive about predicting the future. I'm just saying what I think will happen and it doesn't make me happy to say it or to think it.

Well, in that case - and if it's any consolidation - you shouldn't get too worried because you're probably wrong.

It has laid bare people's attitudes to dealing with a crisis - they will permit all sorts of things which they would normally consider unjustifiable, and the evidence is here on these threads.

The response to this 'crisis' was entirely justified.

The only people with the power to 'greenlight' these drastic actions, are politicians....and they seem singularly unwilling to do so, at the moment, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

Yes but it would add to the theory that it is at least affected by weather, seems like the optimum conditions are cool. But clearly capable of sustaining within warm and even quite hot climates as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

Yep and Australia and New Zealand cases not increasing atall. Kermit only spreads negative fear mongering nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

US2 wrote: »
    Yep and Australia and New Zealand cases not increasing atall. Kermit only spreads negative fear mongering nonsense.

It's not fear mongering at all?Pretty much the opposite, it would very much be a good thing if it was seasonal because then much of the world would have several months of reprieve and could prepare well for the return in winter. So this would be a much better case scenario than the very possible alternative scenario that it thrives equally in all climate conditions. Those are the only two scenarios, how would it be worse if it was equally capable of spreading at all times of the year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement