Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XVII-24,841 in ROI (1,639 deaths) 4,679 in NI (518 deaths)(28/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭Onesea

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I am acknowledgeing, I just don't think that a large number of people in their 60's and 70's dying is in any way okay or something we should just ignore and get on with, especially people in their 60's, that's just out of middle age, I don't consider it old at all in 2020.

I know we need to find a way around this but I just took issue with your phrasing , 'just let that sink in', it implies that you think people are being hysterical over something irrational, and that we shouldn't be reacting this way as it is only old people dying.

I never said it was ok for the people in their 60s and 70s to die, to shield this group specifically and let the rest get on with life.Keep distanced from them as is but let the younger people live.The new normal thing isn't really a runner

Onesea wrote: »
    It does deserve a reply. The risk of catching and passing from this virus v everyone loosing their jobs, lively hoods and all else that goes wrong.

Reason with me how you think it's OK for the entire workforce to halt given over 96 percent of the illness effects those 60 or over.

I am not throwing anyone to the dogs, it would have been cheaper to give all those 60 or over early retirement.

The entire workforce of Ireland has halted, want to try that one again?

Even with the horrible numbers of people getting some form of state aid your well off the mark.

I would have expected you to at least acknowledge the statistic. But you won't.
    Nobody want to die, we can all have a problem with it effecting that age group but we can also work around it. We haven't done that and now we will face some interesting times ahead

So the country where you live did the same as Ireland then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Killeen should have nappy on his face he's talking that much sh1te.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The people who missed screenings. I care about them.The impact any serious illness has on a young person is trajic. But it isn't a black and white choice. The numbers from the hardest hit areas point towards anither plan.
    The the 96.5 percent were 60 to end of life age could they along be temporarily segregated.
    Didn't one Nordic country take all notes from the cases in Italy and structure the outcome?

How you ignore the numbers and then try guilt me?

What do you think of my plan? What is so wrong with segregating old and weak in response to available data?

I would worry about an economy being closed for a day let alone multiple months.

Still think my comment from the other day was despicable, folks? This is the kind of stuff I was responding to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

No deaths here. Hopefully we are turning the corner. Its getting very quiet in here which is also a good indicator that we are suppressing the virus. Probably be more obstacles on the way(outbreaks likely in certain situations/mass gatherings) but I think we have the resources to tackle it. Prepare for the worst hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

O'Neill on Claire Byrne Live does my head in

Ben Dunne on Claire Byrne Live. Grumpy old git.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Which gym will Ben open?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Lundstram wrote: »

He said he is happy but not happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Lundstram wrote: »

Seems really positive all things considered

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

YFlyer wrote: »
    He said he is happy but not happy out.

Bit strange being asked are you happy out, His business is crumbling atm

Seems really positive all things considered
    wadacrack wrote: »
    Bit strange being asked are you happy out, His business is crumbling atm
    He's a multi-millionaire, I'm sure he'll survive.

New Home wrote: »
    Still think my comment from the other day was despicable, folks? This is the kind of stuff I was responding to.

Your choosing to see this in a negative light, when in reality it was poorly chosen words.You know what point I am making.

Maybe a few interviews with people of the older generation would surprise you. They are tougher than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Great news. The government and HSE need to be congratulated on their approach. Bravo.

EY0ti3qXgAYWWCe?format=jpg&name=medium

EY0ti3qXgAYWWCe?format=jpg&name=medium

The opinions here do not reflect reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

wadacrack wrote: »
    No deaths here. Hopefully we are turning the corner. Its getting very quiet in here which is also a good indicator that we are suppressing the virus. Probably be more obstacles on the way(outbreaks likely in certain situations/mass gatherings) but I think we have the resources to tackle it. Prepare for the worst hope for the best

Numbers always low on Monday,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The opinions here do not reflect reality.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The first accurate thing you've said.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

96.5% were 60 years or older.. Let that sink in.

13.5 percent fatality rate.

This virus is not the problem, poverty and crime will be.

Nursing homes skew the figures, if there had been no quarintine those figures would be different,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Lots of people on Claire Byrne tonight.

And live.

• Advertisement

Nursing homes skew the figures, if there had been no quarintine those figures would be different,

Not true, go look at all the other countries. Take a look at the ages effected.

If this were the case surely retail workers would be catching this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

New Home wrote: »

I do, comparing the suggestion to cocoon the elderly with the Holocaust by using the phrase 'work sets you free'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Hard to believe Ireland is 8th in the world in deaths-per-million (331). Belgium is highest (812)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hard to believe Ireland is 8th in the world in deaths-per-million (331). Belgium is highest (812)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Jaysus this has been done to death a thousand times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I know this is kinda getting off the subject a little but I'm in my late 50's and before all this I was kinda jaded and very little surprised me anymore.
    Until this.....
    The last few months have been truly surreal.Its really been like a bad movie.If someone had told me what was going to happen not just here but worldwide I would have scoffed.
    At times it's even seemed like a bad dream yet I know it isn't.
    I truly hope myself or my children never experience the likes of this again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Lots of people on Claire Byrne tonight.

And live.

Dont count those plane seat mannequins!

Steve F wrote: »
    I know this is kinda getting off the subject a little but I'm in my late 50's and before all this I was kinda jaded and very little surprised me anymore.
    Until this.....
    The last few months have been truly surreal.Its really been like a bad movie.If someone had told me what was going to happen not just here but worldwide I would have scoffed.
    At times it's even seemed like a bad dream yet I know it isn't.
    I truly hope myself or my children never experience the likes of this again

Hang in there. This won't last much longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Nursing homes account for roughly 55% of all deaths.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/state-left-nursing-homes-isolated-representative-group-says-1.4262313

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

HSE Operations report released. Stats as of 8pm.

48 covid confirmed patients currently in ICU.

288 covid confirmed cases across the acute hospital system.

14 cases diagnosed in hospitals in the last 24hrs, 6 of which were reported from Mullingar.

975 vacant beds across the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Yes it is mostly high because of this. I believe Ireland has the highest number of nursing home deaths in the world per capita after Canada. Ireland has not had as many community deaths as most of Europe, so despite the high death toll due to nursing homes there is probably even lower levels of immunity in Ireland than most of continental Europe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement