Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm cocooning - housemate being a d*ck

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I really don't care what you think about me, but making assumptions about me when you don't even know me is quite pathetic and uncalled for.

We can make assumptions based on your posting style. I certainly wouldn’t want to live with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭MissJustice

Two weeks OP before the lockdown starts unwinding, you should use that time to plan your living arrangements. Covid 19 will still be around. Weak lungs and you have a cat?

You are assuming that on the 18th of May that I will be annoyed or whatever else you might think I will be when the restrictions are being lifted. Am, I'm not going to be :confused:

We can make assumptions based on your posting style. I certainly wouldn’t want to live with you.

On my posting style? So based on my posting style I'm apparently a nightmare to live with? Don't make assumptions about someone when you don't know them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You are assuming that on the 18th of May that I will be annoyed or whatever else you might think I will be when the restrictions are being lifted. Am, I'm not going to be :confused:

So really what your problem is you don't like your housemates behaviour and you were seeking advice on how to make him conform to the rules as you see them.
    Your issue is not the virus, it's actually control.
    Personally you are not suited to a houseshare. Your housemates would be far better off if you sought single accommodation or go to people who will tolerate your behaviour. I certainly wouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I am not and never have told them what to do, even at present. When in the thread did I ever say I was telling them or forcing them what to do with regards to the virus?

I suggest you read your posts

You accuse your housemate of been a d**k because he wouldn’t do what you wanted and posted here about calling the Garda on him because he wouldn’t do what you wanted

The whole thread is about you telling people what to do and throwing a strop when you don’t get way

You even wanted to get someone arrested because they wouldn’t do what you wanted

• Advertisement

So really what your problem is you don't like your housemates behaviour and you were seeking advice on how to make him conform to the rules as you see them.
    Your issue is not the virus, it's actually control.
    Personally you are not suited to a houseshare. You housemates would be far better off if you sought single accommodation or go to people who will tolerate your behaviour. I certainly wouldn't.

Rules as I seem them?

Since when or where did I ever in the thread say that this was an issue about controlling my housemates behaviour?

I wouldn't want to live with you either.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I suggest you read your original post...

You accuse your housemate of been a d**k because he wouldn’t do what you wanted and posted here about calling the Garda on him because he wouldn’t do what you wanted

I think you need to read some of the past few posts I have composed today?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know people who are cocooning.
    They haven’t left the house since March and nobody with them e has left the house and shopping is delivered.
    I know people and they left there rented accommodation and moved to a relatives house because they knew they wouldn’t be able to do it with there housemates.
    To me the OP isn’t cocooning at all. He/She reminds me of the cautious people who wear the same pair of gloves to do the shopping, drive the car,check their phone and itch their face and adjust their face mask!

I know people who are cocooning.
    They haven’t left the house since March and nobody with the has left the house and shopping is delivered.
    I know people and they left there rented accommodation and moved to a relatives house because they knew they wouldn’t be able to do it with there housemates.
    To me the OP isn’t cocooning at all. He/She reminds me of the cautious people who wear the same pair of gloves to do the shopping, drive the car,check their phone and itch their face and adjust their face mask!

And good for them if they wanted to leave their houses. What business is that of mine?

If someone was wearing the same gloves to do the shopping, drive their car, check their phone etc, they are an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Thomas

Hi OP

I shared with 16 different people during my years in college and early working career so I can empathise when things aren’t going well (though I didn’t have the stress of health worries which compounds it for you).

Out of curiosity, how did you and this housemate get on pre-Covid?

T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭PandaX9

I think the assumption of the other posters is that it is likely that you will be annoyed come May 18th based on the current goings on - you are concerned with the behaviour of your housemate (not washing his hands when he comes in from home, leaving the house multiple times per day) and the potential risk involved given your predisposition to ailments with your health. This is during a time of restrictive measures, where not many as people are out and about and thus the risk of infection to the general public is mitigated somewhat, however remains high for at risk individuals such as yourself.

After May 18th, restrictions will be lessened in that individuals can travel a further radius and thus the potential spread of any infection increases exponentially when you factor in the movement of people and thus greater potential for people to overlap. Given your statement that your housemate already exercises poor hygiene habits when it comes to preventing spread of potential infection by not washing his hands when he comes in (as you observe) I imagine this would be of concern to you.

If you are nervous about this now, I struggle to see how you will be any less nervous in two weeks time given the above scenario.

Thomas wrote: »
    Hi OP

I shared with 16 different people during my years in college and early working career so I can empathise when things aren’t going well (though I didn’t have the stress of health worries which compounds it for you).

Out of curiosity, how did you and this housemate get on pre-Covid?

T

I have lived with people for years, and I have lived with this housemate for years. He has been a great housemate, as have many people I had the pleasure of living with.

Like every household, we have had our up's and down's but we sit down and deal with problems, discuss them and listen to each other, and have some consideration for the other person.

That's what's important when you are living with others, and we practice that in this house, and resolve our problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

And good for them if they wanted to leave their houses. What business is that of mine?

If someone was wearing the same gloves to do the shopping, drive their car, check their phone etc, they are an idiot.

I consider you to be in the same position as those wearing the same gloves to do everything.
    You are staying in a house share that is dangerous for you health and you don’t really seem to want to change the situation.
    The situation isn’t going to improve much for you in the future. It will get even worse when they both go back to work and more places start to open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

People behaving like the ops housemate are the reason the virus is spreading, the fact people don’t understand this by now is astonishing.

The virus is spreading because we have no cure and no vaccine. Indefinite lockdown is not a cure.
    The purpose of lockdown was to prepare the health system, to free up beds & hire extra staff, to buy time, to flatten the curve, and to ensure our hospitals didn’t end up overwhelmed like Spain or Italy. We have achieved what we set out to do.
    The lockdown was never supposed to make the virus go away or disappear, it’s astonishing that people seem to think indefinitely staying home will stop the spread.

It won’t stop it, it just suppresses.

Perhaps the two daily walks to the shop or whatever it was were essential for the housemates mental health, living under a microscope with OP. Perhaps that walk to the shop to escape was the only thing stopping them from totally cracking up.

OP, this virus is going nowhere. We have no cure and no vaccine and at some point, hopefully in the near future, we will all have to learn to live alongside it.
    Your health is your responsibility and with this in mind I strongly suggest you rethink your current living arrangements and lifestyle because after the 18th of May you will no longer be in a position to dictate to others how they live their lives.
    You are blaming everyone else instead of being proactive about coming up with a solution to protect yourself and that’s extremely unfair.

PandaX9 wrote: »
    I think the assumption of the other posters is that it is likely that you will be annoyed come May 18th based on the current goings on - you are concerned with the behaviour of your housemate (not washing his hands when he comes in from home, leaving the house multiple times per day) and the potential risk involved given your predisposition to ailments with your health. This is during a time of restrictive measures, where not many as people are out and about and thus the risk of infection to the general public is mitigated somewhat, however remains high for at risk individuals such as yourself.

After May 18th, restrictions will be lessened in that individuals can travel a further radius and thus the potential spread of any infection increases exponentially when you factor in the movement of people and thus greater potential for people to overlap. Given your statement that your housemate already exercises poor hygiene habits when it comes to preventing spread of potential infection by not washing his hands when he comes in (as you observe) I imagine this would be of concern to you.

If you are nervous about this now, I struggle to see how you will be any less nervous in two weeks time given the above scenario.

And people have made those assumptions themselves, and accused me of being more or less a horrible person and a horrible person to live with, when like I have already said they don't know me, or the situation in our house. So why make such assumptions, come to that conclusion about someone? That's just nastiness.

As for the 18th, like I have already said its not up to me, its up to the government, and like now, even when the 18th comes there will still be some restrictions in place which people will still have to follow, including my housemate. There will still be a certain amount of restrictions for some time yet, which I completely accept :confused:

On my posting style? So based on my posting style I'm apparently a nightmare to live with? Don't make assumptions about someone when you don't know them at all.

People make assumptions all day every day. Deal with it. You’re now trying to control what strangers think of you. Bravo.

People make assumptions all day every day. Deal with it. You’re now trying to control what strangers think of you. Bravo.

Am....no.

I don't think its fair to make assumptions about someone when you don't even know them, that's my point.

I think you need to read some of the past few posts I have composed today?:rolleyes:

Read them, make you sound worse the more you post

Expect the situation to blow up with your house mates, your demand are over the top and you seem to have no consideration for the rest of the house....with the extra stress of the virus it will blow up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

As you relax on this sunny Sunday evening, here's a friendly reminder of that all enduring boards mantra:

Don't be a dick.

Far too much dickishness in this thread so far. Please stop.

Am....no.

I don't think its fair to make assumptions about someone when you don't even know them, that's my point.

I know MissJustice from her (your) posting style. She doesn’t come across well.

• Advertisement

I know MissJustice from her (your) posting style. She doesn’t come across well.

From my posting style? Ya, you don't even know me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

From my posting style? Ya, you don't even know me.

I think everyone knows you at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If you want to sort this issue with him you need to deal with it calmly but firmly.
    If that doesn't work on this person, then maybe taking the advice on here to go elsewhere might be the thing to do.

I appreciate you have health issues and I appreciate that this person doesn't seem to see that but he's either a dick or he's purposefully going out of his way to annoy you at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

I am sharing a house with 5 others. I visited my elderly dad before st Patricks day - if I go back to the house - I don't trust the people I share with as they have their friends visiting.

Work is an open plan office.
    I don't trust public transport either.
    Work have been on to me to return. I cannot risk it.

They are delimas out there with regards unsafe workplaces and accomadation.

You asked for advice, the advice is to move home.

You can ignore if you want but that is the advice by the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Either take the advice to move as others have said or isolate as best you can and accept that this person is truly either a dick as you describe or someone who has become so pis#ed off with you they're willing to do all of this just to annoy you.

Look back at your behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

It is all to do with minimising the risk to your health and peace of mind

These are indeed strange times.

Many people face similar delimas with regards house shares - you are not alone.

Either take the advice to move as others have said or isolate as best you can and accept that this person is truly either a dick as you describe or someone who has become so pis#ed off with you they're willing to do all of this just to annoy you.

Look back at your behaviour.

Like I was saying, you don't even know me at all, so don't try and make assumptions about me.

We already had a discussion like adults, and he has decided to cop on, and follow government guidelines.

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    It is all to do with minimising the risk to your health and peace of mind

These are indeed strange times.

Many people face similar delimas with regards house shares - you are not alone.

Exactly.

And practicing some cop on with having consideration and respect for those you live with with regards to the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Might be best to close this thread, I don't think you take
    Any other views on board rather than your self entitled control of a shared space.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement