Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm cocooning - housemate being a d*ck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

As can be seen on here and around the county people are idiots
    Personally I think the army should be out in force enforcing these rules much much harder,

Oh yes there's idiots around alright

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Homelander wrote: »

Even if we take her word as gospel, the problematic housemate is still not necessarily doing anything illegal and she is the one with unreasonable demands of young, healthy housemates.

no one saying its illegal, but it is irresponsible.... if the housemate continues to act the asshole its not only going to jeopardize the OP's physical health but her mental health as well,

OP as i said before organise a lift home, its better in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Can see both sides of this argument.

One thing severely lacking nowadays is empathy.

just because you can... does it mean you should?

OP move home!

Obviously there are more people on this forum who think that they should just because they can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The OP seems to have done a runner, maybe to her family down the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Is there anyone on the planet at the moment who doesn't appreciate the necessity to to restrict their movements?
    You must be having a laugh, the housemate is taking the p*ss. We are supposed to stay at home at all times bar essential trips, shopping and a brief exercise. One or max twice a week is all the shopping trips anyone should be doing, one exercise a day and not going working with someone in a presumably non essential job which is illegal.

He simply should not be leaving the house as he is th

we aren’t even going to the shop in my house we are getting deliveries, not leaving the house otherwise bar a short walk on a county lane with no one around.

Going to the shop everyday is going against the spirit of the rules. One big shop once a week should be everyone’s aim (preferably by delivery like I and many are doing), wipe down all their shopping making sure to wash hands better touching washed and unwashed shopping, only leave the house for a very brief walk once per day (day 20 mins) no other leaving the house or any interaction bar an essential job. Some of this is the law some is what people should be doing.

As can be seen on here and around the county people are idiots and think they can do what they want. Personally I think the army should be out in force enforcing these rules much much harder, far more fines and court dates should be handed out than are etc etc.

We should have done down the route of only leaving home with an official letter permitting it, one shopping permit per week etc.

There is a lot of intolerance from some people these days. Now everybody is fully entitled to take whatever precautions they feel are necessary for themselves or their families.

However there are very clearly set out rules for what people are and are not allowed to do. What you are not entitled to do is come up with your own rules and seek to impose them on others. In the first place how is anybody supposed to know what your rules are or what you feel the rules should be in order to abide by them

So you feel that exercise should be max 20mins on a country lane, one shop max per week and groceries delivered.
    Those are your rules. They are not the rules that everyone else is required to abide by and you are not entitled to impose them on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

In fact making up your own rules can make things worse. For example, if everyone opted to have their groceries delivered, there would be a huge backlog and those who genuinely need to cocoon would have issues getting deliveries. This isn't a hypothetical scenario, there have been issues here.

Same goes for gloves. People making up rules about wearing them when in fact, they make things worse as most people don't know how to use them correctly.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

robinbird wrote: »

So you feel that exercise should be max 20mins on a country lane, one shop max per week and groceries delivered.
    Those are your rules. They are not the rules that everyone else is required to abide by and you are not entitled to impose them on others.

These are the clear suggestions to people, please stay at home at all times bar shopping, essential work of a brief exercise.

Leaving the house 4 or 5 times a day is taking the p*ss and is not respecting the aims of the rules.
    Stark wrote: »
    In fact making up your own rules can make things worse. For example, if everyone opted to have their groceries delivered, there would be a huge backlog and those who genuinely need to cocoon would have issues getting deliveries. This isn't a hypothetical scenario, there have been issues here.

Same goes for gloves. People making up rules about wearing them when in fact, they make things worse as most people don't know how to use them correctly.

The advise from the government has always been get shopping delivered if at all possible, they have clearly stated this in multiple briefings.

The advise from the government has always been get shopping delivered if at all possible, they have clearly stated this in multiple briefings.

To cocooners.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

These are the clear suggestions to people, please stay at home at all times bar shopping, essential work of a brief exercise.

Leaving the house 4 or 5 times a day is taking the p*ss and is not respecting the aims of the rules.

Yet the advice from the Supermarkets is please only use delivery if it's really necessary . I have seen many of your posts on several threads and your love of the pub and going on the lash. You don't strike me as a vulnerable person who really needs to avail of the home delivery service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Your making up your own rules.....when did the government say to get shopping delivered for the general public?

To cocooners.

To everyone
    Yet the advice from the Supermarkets is please only use delivery if it's really necessary . I have seen many of your posts on several threads and your love of the pub and going on the lash. You don't strike me as a vulnerable person who really needs to avail of the home delivery service.

Anyone who can get a delivery slot should avail of it. I am not vulnerable but I am doing my best to avoid all contact with other people outside my house as the government advised by having shopping delivered once per week.

I also don’t want to get the virus and am not comfortable going around a shop full of people unable to social distance which was my experience early before I started booking our delivery slots in advance to make sure I have them when needed. I also include shopping for people cocooning in my order btw and drop it outside their door once per week.

Rubbish particularly as a lot of the people who are cocooning wouldn’t even be able to use online delivery. By getting delivery I limit mine and my families contact with others and therefore limit our risk of getting the virus.

It has been clearly stated in briefing, I believe even by Leo to “avail of delivery services where possible”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Rubbish particularly as a lot of the people who are cocooning wouldn’t even be able to use online delivery. By getting delivery I limit mine and my families contact with others and therefore limit our risk of getting the virus.

It has been clearly stated in briefing, I believe even by Leo to “avail of delivery services where possible”

The link above is from mid march, time has moved on and supermarkets are much more prepared for online deliveries nowadays. True many of the elderly wouldn't be familiar with online shopping, in fact there are many volunteers looking after the shopping needs of that sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I'm not asking him to cocoon. And I certainly didn't persuade my other housemate to. She's staying in the house, only going out when she needs to for food or medicine. She's not cocooning. She respecting the virus, like thousands of people in the country are.

Would it kill him to go to Tesco's say once, maybe twice a week, and to respect the fact that I'm sick, and to have some consideration? Would it kill him for him to not go to the shop every single day, or Tescos's almost every day? He leaves the house and when he comes in, he won't wash his hands or take any sort of normal precautions that we are all taking. I'm not asking him to cocoon, nor do I expect him to.

It's unreasonable and unfair behaviour from him, not from me.

Is it wrong for me to ask for a little respect and consideration from him, given the unfortunate problem that I'm sick, which is something I didn't ask for.

You’re being unreasonable. You can’t expect people who are not emotionally invested in you to tailor their behaviour to the extent that you need them too.
    It’s not a question of “would it kill him”. That’s not the standard he needs to meet.
    It was up to you to make every effort to find a safe place to cocoon yourself weeks ago, not for them to modify their whole lives to accommodate you.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Your making up your own rules.....when did the government say to get shopping delivered for the general public?

He makes up alot of stuff from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

robinbird wrote: »
    If you have medical issues I sympathise and there are very many people who are anxious and nervous and are self isolating and cocooning. You are fully entitled to and everyone respects your right to do so.

My point is that if you are in a normal house share it is unfair to force your housemates that are in compliance with regulations to conform to your need by restricting their behaviour. Perhaps he uses hand sanitiser rather than washing hands in a sink, perhaps he washes his hands in the bathroom.
    But whether he does or not your behaviour is controlling and unreasonable.

I would disagree that the housemate is in compliance with regulations by going to the shops a few times a day and not regularly washing hands unless you got different regulations to me. Not only is he disrespectful of his housemates, hes also disrespectful to the people who have to meet him in the shops 3/4 times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

jluv wrote: »
    I would disagree that the housemate is in compliance with regulations by going to the shops a few times a day and not regularly washing hands unless you got different regulations to me. Not only is he disrespectful of his housemates, hes also disrespectful to the people who have to meet him in the shops 3/4 times a day.

Housemate is hanging out with mates too, absolute dick. Its people like him who will ensure this continues for longer than necessary. Extreme ignorance from him and some posters.

OP can he not stay with the relatives he's working with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Housemate is hanging out with mates too, absolute dick. Its people like him who will ensure this continues for longer than necessary. Extreme ignorance from him and some posters.

OP can he not stay with the relatives he's working with?

Why would he??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭keybordWarrior

House mate wasn't been asked to cocoon, he was asked to comply with the minimum standards everyone is expected to meet. He hasn't met those minimum standards. He's a dick. Anyone else who agrees with his way of acting is also a dick. End of.

House mate wasn't been asked to cocoon, he was asked to comply with the minimum standards everyone is expected to meet. He hasn't met those minimum standards. He's a dick. Anyone else who agrees with his way of acting is also a dick. End of.

OP isn’t cocooning although they should be. Not housemates problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Restricting his shopping trip to 1 per week isnt a minimum standard everyone is expected to meet

Not going to work isnt the minimum standard everyone is expected to meet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

You need to find alternative accommodation OP. I totally understand your concerns but you can’t tell your housemates how to live their lives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

You can tell the typical angry "I won't be told what to do" Boards crowd is out because everybody keeps ignoring the fact that the OP's housemate was going off to work with a relative which is clearly against the guidelines and instead are focussing on stuff like the OP's cat because that makes her seem bad rather than the actual issue.

You can tell the typical angry "I won't be told what to do" Boards crowd is out because everybody keeps ignoring the fact that the OP's housemate was going off to work with a relative which is clearly against the guidelines and instead are focussing on stuff like the OP's cat because that makes her seem bad rather than the actual issue.

What guideline says you can’t work with a relative?? Should all family business’s be shut down??

You making up your own guidelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

What guideline says you can’t work with a relative?? Should all family business’s be shut down??

Your going to pull the , "he could be working for an essential industry" card, but we know that's 99% likely not the case because he wasn't working for the relative before only after he got laid off, so he's breaking the guidelines.

Your going to pull the , "he could be working for an essential industry" card, but we know that's 99% likely not the case because he wasn't working for the relative before only after he got laid off, so he's breaking the guidelines.

You don't know anything other than what the OP has claimed.

• Advertisement

If his relative is still working, and needs additional workers, I’d imagine it’s quite essential. Maybe his family member is a Keeling??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement