Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm cocooning - housemate being a d*ck

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭keybordWarrior

padser wrote: »
    Restricting his shopping trip to 1 per week isnt a minimum standard everyone is expected to meet

Not going to work isnt the minimum standard everyone is expected to meet

What about not washing hands?

OP isn’t cocooning although they should be. Not housemates problem.

Yep, "Not my problem", that's the typical dick response alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

If his relative is still working, and needs additional workers, I’d imagine it’s quite essential. Maybe his family member is a Keeling??

Maybe his relative is working on a cure for the virus and it will save the world.

Thing is we know this is not going to be the case because the OP has said that he wasn't working for relative before this and only seems to be going to work for him occasionally.

Guidelines are clearly states here
    The government has decided that everyone should stay at home until 12 April 2020, except for the following situations:

to travel to and from work, or for purposes of work, only where the work is an essential health, social care or other essential service and cannot be done from home
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/dfeb8f-list-of-essential-service-providers-under-new-public-health-guidelin/

Posters are going to pretend they honestly believe the OP's housemate is doing exempted work but it's not likely to actually be the case.

People don't like the lockdown and it's rules but have a bit of honesty and don't give someone who is a vulnerable person a hard time about being stressed about a housemate who isn't following at a minimum the spirit of the guidelines (and most likely isn't follow the rules/law either)

padser wrote: »
    Restricting his shopping trip to 1 per week isnt a minimum standard everyone is expected to meet

Not going to work isnt the minimum standard everyone is expected to meet

How is going to the shop everyday or more than once a day even on the same planet as respecting rules that say stay at home? I can’t get my head around the level of idiocy being displayed here. You must be the same people I see flaunting the rules constantly for the past few weeks.

Absolute knuckle draggers, would fit in well I’m the armed anti lockdown protests in the US or abusing guards with Gemma Doherty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,252 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Your going to pull the , "he could be working for an essential industry" card, but we know that's 99% likely not the case because he wasn't working for the relative before only after he got laid off, so he's breaking the guidelines.

Such dumb logic.

Anybody laid off who went to do shifts in the family butcher or work on the family farm would fit that stupid definition of "not working for the relative before and only after laid off".

You haven't a ****ing clue what role he is doing for the relative and have just made yourself look foolish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Absolute car crash of a thread. At least the OP had the good sense to bailout.

Such dumb logic.

Anybody laid off who went to do shifts in the family butcher or work on the family farm would fit that stupid definition of "not working for the relative before and only after laid off".

You haven't a ****ing clue what role he is doing for the relative and have just made yourself look foolish.

How's pointing that out foolish? You know it's true and just don't like the lockdown, be honest with yourself.

Absolute car crash of a thread. At least the OP had the good sense to bailout.

I imagine that's because of the pile on she got even though unless your a sociopath you know the housemate is being a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,252 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How's pointing that out foolish? You know it's true and just don't like the lockdown, be honest with yourself.

What lockdown, I haven't missed a single day of work.

It probably breaks certain peoples brains that they are scared to go the shop more than once a week while hundreds of thousands of essential workers are still out there working away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

To everyone

Anyone who can get a delivery slot should avail of it. I am not vulnerable but I am doing my best to avoid all contact with other people outside my house as the government advised by having shopping delivered once per week.

I also don’t want to get the virus and am not comfortable going around a shop full of people unable to social distance which was my experience early before I started booking our delivery slots in advance to make sure I have them when needed. I also include shopping for people cocooning in my order btw and drop it outside their door once per week.

So as per last thread, people are making up their own laws and then going off on rant if people don’t agree....

So I’m out....the OP hasn’t posted in a while so point of thread is lost

As per my original advice, move home and quickly before you pi** ff the other housemate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

You can tell the typical angry "I won't be told what to do" Boards crowd is out because everybody keeps ignoring the fact that the OP's housemate was going off to work with a relative which is clearly against the guidelines and instead are focussing on stuff like the OP's cat because that makes her seem bad rather than the actual issue.

But anything the housemate does has got nothing to do with the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Yeah. Thread has lost its point. OP has gone and it has degenerated into intolerant rants from those that are making up their own restrictions and expecting others to abide by them.

There is no law that says you have to get online deliveries
    There is no law that says that you are only allowed to exercise for 20 mins
    There is no law that says that you are only allowed to go to a shop once a week
    There is no law that says you have to quit your job if it essential but you are in a house share with someone that is of a nervous disposition.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So as per last thread, people are making up their own laws and then going off on rant if people don’t agree....

So I’m out....the OP hasn’t posted in a while so point of thread is lost

As per my original advice, move home and quickly before you pi** ff the other housemate

Wait a minute, you are the one who doesn’t know the laws. It was clearly pointed out to you in the other thread that visiting another house is against the law, it’s against at least two parts of the law in fact and the guards are enforcing this going to houses and sending visitors away with fines in the back pocket in some instances. so you would want to wake up a small bit to what actually happening.

I never said everything I said is the law but what I’m saying is what is being asked of people. People ignoring it are idiots.
    robinbird wrote: »

There is no law that says you have to quit your job if it essential but you are in a house share with someone that is of a nervous disposition.

As above they aren’t the law but these are the type of thing we are being asked to do and should be doing to limit the virus spread. If you can’t understand that then I doubt I can get in into your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

How is going to the shop everyday or more than once a day even on the same planet as respecting rules that say stay at home? I can’t get my head around the level of idiocy being displayed here. You must be the same people I see flaunting the rules constantly for the past few weeks.

Absolute knuckle draggers, would fit in well I’m the armed anti lockdown protests in the US or abusing guards with Gemma Doherty.

Did you go drinking in temple bar with your Italian mates the weekend of the match nox? People like you are the reason the rules had to be brought in, so that high ground is a bit out of reach...

I never said everything I said is the law bit what I’m saying is what is being asked of people. People ignoring it are idiots.

So it is not the law bit but rather what is being asked of them that is not the law
    And anyone that is not conforming to what is not the law but is being asked of them is an idiot.

Being asked of them by who exactly? By you? You seem to be making up your own additional restrictions/ How are people even supposed to know what it is that you expect and are asking of them.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Did you go drinking in temple bar with your Italian mates the weekend of the match nox? People like you are the reason the rules had to be brought in, so that high ground is a bit out of reach...

No I didn’t, aside from other reasons they were locked down and couldn’t travel.

I haven’t been in a pub since the weekend before that and it wasn’t in Dublin.

So it is not the law bit but rather what is being asked of them that is not the law
    And anyone that is not conforming to what is not the law but is being asked of them is an idiot.

Being asked of them by who exactly? By you? You seem to be making up your own additional restrictions/ How are people even supposed to know what it is that you expect and are asking of them.

The government, what parts of “only leave your home if you absolutely have to” don’t you understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The government, what parts of “only leave your home if you absolutely have to” don’t you understand?

Its a troll or a fool, I wouldn't bother, either way.

Yeah. Thread has lost its point. OP has gone and it has degenerated into intolerant rants from those that are making up their own restrictions and expecting others to abide by them.

Also no law that says you can't be a dick. So the housemate is in the clear there too.

But that is your law. One that you made up. Nobody absolutely has to leave their home to go for a walk. You are making up your own special laws and getting upset that people are not obeying your private restrictions. How are people even supposed to know about the special nox laws? Do you have them is list somewhere available online so that at least the irish public and the government can familiarize themselves with your laws.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I reckon this whole thread is a wind-up.

The OP has asthma - and a cat? Yeah, right. They have multiple chronic health conditions so cannot work - but can afford a houseshare in Dublin's rental market, and are staying there even though they don't need to be in Dublin? Yeah, right. The OP knows that the housemate is going to Tesco and a local shop often, because she's planted a GPS tracker on him, or send a drone to keep an eye on him? Yeah, right.

OP, if it's even vaguely true: getting rid of the flea-bag will be better for your lungs than any other one step you can can take. Spend your time in your room. Only leave when you can hear that the other housemates aren't around, and disinfect any surfaces before you touch them. Ask whoever is doing your shopping to bring you pre-prepared meals instead of raw ingredients, to minimise your time in the kitchen.

I imagine that's because of the pile on she got even though unless your a sociopath you know the housemate is being a dick.

Two things firstly you don't know what a sociopath is secondly you are also not familiar with the use of the word 'your' when it's clear you are or you're is the correct word/s to use.
    As I said a car crash, good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Two things firstly you don't know what a sociopath is secondly you are also not familiar with the use of the word 'your' when it's clear you are or you're is the correct word/s to use.
    As I said a car crash, good night.

Ah jaysus.

When you resort to grammar checks to score points you’ve lost the argument.

For what it’s worth, I think the point has been lost in the random noise.

The housemate is being a dick. No one is denying that. But MussJustice is being a weeeee bit precious too. Wanting to have everything her own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

That would be a great idea, but I have a cat!

Fcuk the cat, stay alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

Pity for the op here.

You don't need a law to recognise that some members of society need a little more protection right now. Maybe grow up a little ffs?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭MissJustice

I reckon this whole thread is a wind-up.

The OP has asthma - and a cat? Yeah, right. They have multiple chronic health conditions so cannot work - but can afford a houseshare in Dublin's rental market, and are staying there even though they don't need to be in Dublin? Yeah, right. The OP knows that the housemate is going to Tesco and a local shop often, because she's planted a GPS tracker on him, or send a drone to keep an eye on him? Yeah, right.

OP, if it's even vaguely true: getting rid of the flea-bag will be better for your lungs than any other one step you can can take. Spend your time in your room. Only leave when you can hear that the other housemates aren't around, and disinfect any surfaces before you touch them. Ask whoever is doing your shopping to bring you pre-prepared meals instead of raw ingredients, to minimise your time in the kitchen.

No not a wind up.

Although I manage having a cat given the fact that I have mild asthma. I won't give my cat up just because of that.

I sorted it out with my housemate this evening. He has decided to see sense and cop on with how deadly the virus is, and to keep me and our other housemate safe.

Cop on has finally prevailed with him.

Thanks for all your advice and comments, but not the comments that were not so nice.

Stay safe everyone.

No not a wind up.

Although I manage having a cat given the fact that I have mild asthma. I won't give my cat up just because of that.

I sorted it out with my housemate this evening. He has decided to see sense and cop on with how deadly the virus is, and to keep me and our other housemate safe.

Thanks for all your advice and comments, but not the comments that were not so nice.

Stay safe everyone.

Your post confirms Mrs O Bumble was correct in their assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭MissJustice

I have never come across such an idiot for such disregard for public safety and consideration for people who are vulnerable with the virus.

The best place for you is standing really close together beside Gemma O'Doherty and the other idiots outside the High Court :D

No not a wind up.

Stay safe everyone.

Still think the thread is a wind up. You know full well that May will see the restrictions beginning to be relaxed. But you will still probably be wanting to cocoon. So what are you going to do? Continue to ask your flatmates to not go out or have friends round to the house. Because that will be allowed soon. That’s selfish in the extreme on your part. You need to get out of there and be on your own or with your family if you want to cocoon for the medium term

But you know that, don’t you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Still think the thread is a wind up.

Report a thread if you believe this to be the case

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement