Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

RCK1 wrote: »
    Nurse on the radio now talking about 13hours shifts, scars from PPE and people dieing with no family around but sure its grand loike people here are bored let's all break restrictions because they "apply to someone else"

All I'll say is the pictures and videos from Italy and Spain etc should be put up everywhere....

People dying alone, people healthy and still a good few years left to enjoy their retirement and such.....

It's extremely sad but what is happening in Ireland is not as extreme because our population is much smaller and somewhat spread out more....

This could well explode again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

GreeBo wrote: »
    People who ignore the rules around COVID-19 are the same dicks who park on double yellow lines.
    "sure its grand, its only me" is the most idiotic logic possible, but being a selfish dick is not a new phenomenon.
    Nurse on the radio now talking about 13hours shifts, scars from PPE and people dieing with no family around but sure its grand loike people here are bored let's all break restrictions because they "apply to someone else"

The public have done their job, R0 has been below 1 for weeks. You should be blaming the HSE for their failure to hit their testing targets, they need to get their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Very emotive. But people die every day. Especially over 65s.

On their own for possibly 10/14 days or more. No family around them when they pass and no proper funeral ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

SAMTALK wrote: »
    On their own for possibly 10/14 days or more. No family around them when they pass and no proper funeral ?

Not even gonna bother with your 'possibles'. Does someone holding your hand make death more pleasant? Or a proper funeral? I'd agree it helps some people with the grieving process, but the dead person has no idea about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Not even gonna bother with your 'possibles'. Does someone holding your hand make death more pleasant? Or a proper funeral? I'd agree it helps some people with the grieving process, but the dead person has no idea about it.

Would you stop.! Are you saying it's not comforting for someone dying to have their family with them

Such a cold and heartless attitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭sporina

Fairly common i'd say. I'd 2 letters from different companies before I got one from work. Mates just forwarded them on.

if people acted like responsible intelligent adults, then there would be no need for the cops to patrol the roads and/or work letters..

but again, this virus has shown me an even greater diversity to human nature

• Registered Users Posts: 16,122 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

silverharp wrote: »
    Depends on the person, laps wouldnt work for me at all, I need to run or cycle to a point and then back or a wide loop where you hit a "point of no return"

You don’t need to run or cycle to a point , you might prefer it but you don’t need it
    I would prefer to be able to hug my grandchildren but I have to realise I don’t need it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Does someone holding your hand make death more pleasant?

For many, yes it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I went to a Dealz that is 3kms from my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Wibbs wrote: »
    On the other hand we have research demonstrating the virus can survive on surfaces like cardboard and plastic for quite a while. How realistic is that reseacrh is another matter. A) they were carried out under lab conditions which may not reflect in the real world and B) does the virus survive in sufficient amounts, or in an actively transmissible form? Plus too many experts have been proven to be wrong in this crisis.

Actually I'd genuinely like to see that too CAT. It's been puzzling me for a while that as far as I'm aware no authority anywhere has done something pretty obvious and test supermarket workers in "hot" locations. At the moment such places are about the only publicly shared indoor spaces in play. It would be easy and cheap to do and it could tell us a couple of things. It could tell us the spread of the virus in such shared spaces and whether they were sources of spread. Or not as the case may be. Knowing they weren't could get society up and running again more quickly.

Do the supermarket workers need to be tested?.
    Surely the rate of absenteeism among supermarket workers would be a strong indicator of risk.
    My experience of said venues is that of a lot of (accidental)close contact with multiple people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Was reading that Irish Times article earlier with their speculation about the plan for easing restrictions

Overall at least it's a plan

Need to see how long inbetween phases though

Would still be a disaster for anybody not with friends, family or those in relationships not living together nearby or not in same county etc

Each phase will be a minimum of 2 to three weeks

Travel to another region is in stage 4 so minimum of 8 weeks all things going well

Hell its even another 2 months before I could travel to see the grandparents in another part of Cork

Both are very elderly. I've got away with this stage of the lockdown so far but I fear I won't with another 2 months

Going to get harder and harder to keep to restrictions the longer this goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Actually I'd genuinely like to see that too CAT. It's been puzzling me for a while that as far as I'm aware no authority anywhere has done something pretty obvious and test supermarket workers in "hot" locations. At the moment such places are about the only publicly shared indoor spaces in play. It would be easy and cheap to do and it could tell us a couple of things. It could tell us the spread of the virus in such shared spaces and whether they were sources of spread. Or not as the case may be. Knowing they weren't could get society up and running again more quickly.

Testing of supermarket workers might give little relevant information on the level of spread that comes from supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

silverharp wrote: »
    Depends on the person, laps wouldnt work for me at all, I need to run or cycle to a point and then back or a wide loop where you hit a "point of no return"

Firstly, pity about you.:rolleyes:

Secondly, you dont need to do laps.
    A radius of 2km gives you are areas of 12.5 sq km.

I worry about the future when people are complaining about needing to look at different things while out exrecising during a freaking global pandemic.

A radius of 1km gives you a circumference of 12.5 km.

I worry about the future when people are complaining about needing to look at different things while out exrecising during a freaking global pandemic.

Correction...you meant circumference

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Testing of supermarket workers might give little relevant information on the level of spread that comes from supermarkets.
    It would tell you how many supermarket workers are infected for a start. If very few are then you could be more confident in opening up more shops and businesses. If a fair number are and aren't getting symptoms it would tell you that there are more asymptomatic people than thought out there, but they could spread it to vulnerable customers. At the moment it's an unknown, but because of the current restrictions it could be a good data snapshot gathering exercise that would take very few resources to run.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mulbot

A radius of 1km gives you are areas of 12.5 sq km.

Do your math again. Plus the actual area can't be used unless he's standing in a gigantic field

For many, yes it does.

I must have missed that seance.

It would tell you how many supermarket workers are infected for a start. If very few are then you could be more confident in opening up more shops and businesses. If a fair number are and aren't getting symptoms it would tell you that there are more asymptomatic people than thought out there, but they could spread it to vulnerable customers. At the moment it's an unknown, but because of the current restrictions it could be a good data snapshot gathering exercise that would take very few resources to run.

You're missing my point. If it's being transmitted on packaging etc that is brought home and potentially infecting people, testing supermarket workers won't tell you anything about that. If it's being transmitted by lack of physical distancing in the aisles, the testing supermarket workers won't tell you much about that.

It would be interesting to a point but how useful it is in determining the risk of virus transmission in supermarkets is pretty limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Very emotive. But people die every day. Especially over 65s.

They do, but we also try to minimize this.

Being a **** doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This is not limited to over 65's either. They are just more likely to have more serious symptoms and suffer worse. The same symptoms can happen to anyone.
    They also don't know if it completely leaves the system after infection, or how long a possible immunity may last for. Then on top of that they are currently also unsure whether or not a 2nd infection could be more serious than the 1st.
    Grim listening today. They were trying to figure out if a 35 year old that died (I didn't hear when), may have already contracted it without knowing, and if the reinfection is what killed him.

• Advertisement

You're missing my point. If it's being transmitted on packaging etc that is brought home and potentially infecting people, testing supermarket workers won't tell you anything about that. If it's being transmitted by lack of physical distancing in the aisles, the testing supermarket workers won't tell you much about that.

It would be interesting to a point but how useful it is in determining the risk of virus transmission in supermarkets is pretty limited.

Surely it tells you everything about those things. If there is transmission in supermarkets, whether through droplets or touch, then the supermarket workers would be exposed to a heavier viral load than those just passing through, and a prevalence of the virus in supermarket workers would be a good data point.

I have seen the question asked elsewhere, and the response has been that the lack of supermarket workers being diagnosed, even though more exposed to the virus than a customer, is an illustration of very low transmission in stores.

I don’t understand how you think that not relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭uli84

Im high risk but whatever is easy enough NOT to adhere to I don’t. Life can’t stop because there is a possibility of dying. Not a big deal but going to visit my neighbour on Friday as it’s her birthday.

Surely it tells you everything about those things. If there is transmission in supermarkets, whether through droplets or touch, then the supermarket workers would be exposed to a heavier viral load than those just passing through, and a prevalence of the virus in supermarket workers would be a good data point.

I have seen the question asked elsewhere, and the response has been that the lack of supermarket workers being diagnosed, even though more exposed to the virus than a customer, is an illustration of very low transmission in stores.

I don’t understand how you think that not relevant

I don't understand how you think I said it wasn't relevant.

I said it won't give a full picture.

Based on my experience in the supermarket I shop in, the supermarket staff wear gloves. Particularly the checkout assistants. They also have shields around the checkout so the risk is the packaging for the most part. So they're possibly touching a lot more packaging than a single shopper. But they finish a shift and gloves go in the bin. The person shopping brings that home and likely touches the packaging with bare hands, touches food, face etc with hands.

My point was that the level of protection around checkouts means a significant reduction in exposure and the shopper is more likely to have any virus on the packaging end up on their hands and ingesting them. IMHO.

Open to being wrong but just looking at the mechanics of checkout interactions, while the staff member is potentially exposed to a heavier viral load than a customer because they would potentially touching more packaging, I think their risk of exposure from a customer's packaging is lower because they only touch it once and with gloves on. The customer will touch it more often with no gloves.

So I didn't say it wasn't relevant, just that I didn't think the lack of positive tests from supermarket staff doesn't necessarily mean there is a low risk of transmission in supermarkets because there will be positive tests what the point of transmission may indeed be the supermarket for someone who was shopping there.

I'm not a virologist though so I'm just positing. Not trying to argue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭Heckler

I've been considered an essential worker so have been working all along (the job maybe essential but not my role in it). Wasn't happy at the start as I live with 2 at risk over 80yr old people but for my sanity I'm glad to get out every day. Company was good for a bit. All about the distancing etc. Hand wash and alcohol sanitisers available.

But in the last week or so its gone to pot. I'm OK in my position. Within a large warehouse but very autonomous and separate. If someone needs me I keep my distance and my interactions with most are about 2 minutes at most. The managers and middle management preaching all kinds of distancing weeks ago are now turning up on production lines standing a foot from line operators talking **** in some sort of morale boosting "Hey, Never met you before, how are you getting on in all this ? ".

Even the regular floor staff are getting very lazy about it. Lads chatting and laughing a foot apart. I drove 3 lads to work everyday and told them 3 weeks ago sorry fellas you're on own.

Not like before but a definite increase in traffic (Cork) link road/tunnel this week. Especially coming north/east into the city.

I know the roads are quieter but the amount of speeders is crazy. Driving to work this morning at 7.00 on the Cork link, doing maybe a tad above the limit, a BMW passed me like I was standing still. And I was still next to him at the red on the dunkettle roundabout. Langer.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

Its better to stay at home and rest then resting in peace and better to be 6 feet away then 6 feet under. Stay at home and follow the restrictions. Your not unique in not being able to get it and spread it.

But but but ...... I'm bored etc etc.....

Its better to stay at home and rest then resting in peace and better to be 6 feet away then 6 feet under. Stay at home and follow the restrictions. Your not unique in not being able to get it and spread it.

For anyone not taking it seriously......
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-inside-the-red-zone-the-desperate-fight-italy-hasnt-seen-since-the-plague-11963915

For anyone not taking it seriously......
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-inside-the-red-zone-the-desperate-fight-italy-hasnt-seen-since-the-plague-11963915

Ireland has neither the population density, nor the elderly demographics that Northern Italy had.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ireland has neither the population density, nor the elderly demographics that Northern Italy had.
    Very true, yet even with those clear advantages our numbers don't look so great compared to countries without those advantages that went after this virus hard and on more fronts.

511439.jpeg

Sorry dunno how to get the graph in english and for some reason pic attachments aren't working for me today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Correction...you meant circumference
    Nope area.
    Circumference would also be 12.5 but 12.5km, not km2.
    mulbot wrote: »
    Do your math again. Plus the actual area can't be used unless he's standing in a gigantic field

It was a typo clearly, the restrictions are 2km not 1.

You don't need to use all the actual area to get considerably more an a 2km route.

Advertisement