Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone willing to admit they're already starting to relax restrictions?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭keybordWarrior

I go to the shop twice a day. Pop in on my way to work to get some orange juice, then head to the shop for lunch. I’ll also stop off at my local Tesco on the way home this evening to pick up something to go with the meat I had delivered today.

Sounds like you're also a waste of a delivery if you're going to the shop that often. But then you kinda sound like WUM there so I'm not sure I'd believe you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 djdwainec

I go to the shop twice a day. Pop in on my way to work to get some orange juice, then head to the shop for lunch. I’ll also stop off at my local Tesco on the way home this evening to pick up something to go with the meat I had delivered today.

This is a piss take, hope none of your family or friends don't get sick and they actually need one of these deliveries

I'm going to go completely against the grain right here and say if you enjoy going to the shop twice a day, then do so without feeling guilty. Most people judging you are doing so based on their own emotions rather than any hard factual data.

According to a study of over 7000 cases of viral transmission from those in supermarkets and other such places accounted for less than 2% of verified cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

I'm going to go completely against the grain right here and say if you enjoy going to the shop twice a day, then do so without feeling guilty. Most people judging you are doing so based on their own emotions rather than any hard factual data.

According to a study of over 7000 cases of viral transmission from those in supermarkets and other such places accounted for less than 2% of verified cases.

You're talking bollix.

There's no way any study can prove for sure where the virus was transmitted, and the vast majority of cases of coronavirus are never tested for or confirmed. It's completely plausible that you could get it in a shop, so going to the shop more than you need to is absolutely taking the p1ss and putting people in unnecessary danger.

People like him are prolonging the lockdown for everyone. How hard is it to do one fcking weekly shop and get everything you need?

You're talking bollix.

There's no way any study can prove for sure where the virus was transmitted, and the vast majority of cases of coronavirus are never tested for or confirmed. It's completely plausible that you could get it in a shop, so going to the shop more than you need to is absolutely taking the p1ss and putting people in unnecessary danger.

People like him are prolonging the lockdown for everyone. How hard is it to do one fcking weekly shop and get everything you need?

No, I am most assuredly not talking bollocks. Believe it or not there is such a thing as contact tracing for individuals diagnosed with the virus, No offence, but you are one of the posters who is allowing your emotions to cloud your judgement and over exaggerate the current situation.

If the poster in question needs to go to the shop more often than once a week, perhaps to simply get out of the house and not negatively affect their mental health, then who am I to judge, especially when the data shows they are not causing any appreciable risk to others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

You're talking bollix.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/no-evidence-covid-19-can-be-transmitted-by-shopping-1.4235301

Do you want to hang around waiting for someone to prove a negative?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Tandey

Link to this study please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭VonLuck

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/no-evidence-covid-19-can-be-transmitted-by-shopping-1.4235301

That's the groceries themselves. You'd be hard pushed to find a study that says being in close proximity to many different people does not increase your risk of contacting or spreading the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Going to the shop 14 times in a week? That just isn't necessary.
    I go once every ten days or so.

Rodin wrote: »
    Going to the shop 14 times in a week? That just isn't necessary.
    I go once every ten days or so.

Not everyone has a car or has a diet like a caged lab rat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

My mother is n her 80s, doesn't drive, likes her food and wouldn't have gone to the shops 14 times a week when there were no restrictions.
    Perhaps the poster concerned is a shoplifter😜😜😜

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭BillyBiggs

Even though it has very little impact on the majority?

I was just saying that the Jimmyvic, who wants to lockdown till the virus is gone completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Don't be ridiculous. There's no risk to the public in visiting someone who lives alone and is isolating, once you're not using public transport to get there. You are allowed to bring people groceries.

This is reckless and way more risky and irresponsible than what the fella mentioned above is doing. Every single time you go to the shop, you're putting the workers at risk. Why are you so special? Why can you not go once a week, like most people are doing? Are you not capable of planning your dinners ahead like a big boy? Need to get your chicken roll because you can't make a sandwich?

Prefer a fresh roll. I’m also keeping the local economy going. The majority of the daily lunchtime trade in the shop is doctors, nurses, ambulance crews etc. The lazy b@stards.

djdwainec wrote: »
    This is a piss take, hope none of your family or friends don't get sick and they actually need one of these deliveries

Why would they need a delivery to Dublin from a butchers in Longford that usually supplies restaurants?? It was delivered the next day so I don’t think they are swamped.

The thread is full of chicken littles that see danger everywhere and think the virus is out there waiting to attack them. I’m not too worried about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,376 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So cool welly. You stick it the man!

#ledgend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Some people will see danger in anything for a long time to come unfortunately. Believe we have to get the economy moving wherever is safe to do so and not wait for everyone to feel it's ok .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭eggy81

2KM is for exercise not for meeting your girlfriend. Move in if you want to keep meeting up or use Zoom like the rest of us.

You can get all you need in either Lidl or Dunnes - why do you need to go to three shops? Two of those trips are non-essential.

You seem to think you are special and that you deserve special rules. You are not.
    Hes breaking no rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭VonLuck

The thread is full of chicken littles that see danger everywhere and think the virus is out there waiting to attack them. I’m not too worried about them.

This has to be a wind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Some people will see danger in anything for a long time to come unfortunately. Believe we have to get the economy moving wherever is safe to do so and not wait for everyone to feel it's ok .

Professor McConkey was on the radio a short time ago. He accepts that the economy needs to open again. He stated long term health relies on generated wealth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

On the other hand we have research demonstrating the virus can survive on surfaces like cardboard and plastic for quite a while. How realistic is that reseacrh is another matter. A) they were carried out under lab conditions which may not reflect in the real world and B) does the virus survive in sufficient amounts, or in an actively transmissible form? Plus too many experts have been proven to be wrong in this crisis.
    Tandey wrote: »
    Link to this study please.
    Actually I'd genuinely like to see that too CAT. It's been puzzling me for a while that as far as I'm aware no authority anywhere has done something pretty obvious and test supermarket workers in "hot" locations. At the moment such places are about the only publicly shared indoor spaces in play. It would be easy and cheap to do and it could tell us a couple of things. It could tell us the spread of the virus in such shared spaces and whether they were sources of spread. Or not as the case may be. Knowing they weren't could get society up and running again more quickly.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

I'm starting to get sick of all the restrictions and having to queue most times when I want to go shopping. I still believe we are blowing this all out of proportion and that once the crisis has subsided, the hard data will prove we overreacted and should have taken an approach like that of Sweden.

Wonderful in hindsight. As has been pointed out numerous times, we are where we are due to the effort put in by the public. This country would be in tatters had we followed say the belarusian approach.
    It's a common misconception about Sweden. They have been applying restrictions and recommendations. They simply trust that their citizens will act responsibly.

Why can't you run within 2km of your house? I know of several people who have done 20km runs nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Wibbs wrote: »
    On the other hand we have research demonstrating the virus can survive on surfaces like cardboard and plastic for quite a while. How realistic is that reseacrh is another matter. A) they were carried out under lab conditions which may not reflect in the real world and B) does the virus survive in sufficient amounts, or in an actively transmissible form? Plus too many experts have been proven to be wrong in this crisis.

Actually I'd genuinely like to see that too CAT. It's been puzzling me for a while that as far as I'm aware no authority anywhere has done something pretty obvious and test supermarket workers in "hot" locations. At the moment such places are about the only publicly shared indoor spaces in play. It would be easy and cheap to do and it could tell us a couple of things. It could tell us the spread of the virus in such shared spaces and whether they were sources of spread. Or not as the case may be. Knowing they weren't could get society up and running again more quickly.

Anecdotal evidence would suggest that the hospitals are not overrun with Supermarket workers suffering from Covid.
    My biggest issue with Supermarkets are the idiots wearing gloves both customers and staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

no.8 wrote: »
    Wonderful in hindsight. As has been pointed out numerous times, we are where we are due to the effort put in by the public. This country would be in tatters had we followed say the belarusian approach.
    It's a common misconception about Sweden. They have been applying restrictions and recommendations. They simply trust that their citizens will act responsibly.

Why can't you run within 2km of your house? I know of several people who have done 20km runs nearby.

Depends on the person, laps wouldnt work for me at all, I need to run or cycle to a point and then back or a wide loop where you hit a "point of no return"

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Used to go once a week in college. Brought a rucksack and filled it up.

Someone hasn't a car so it's twice a day?
    Nonsense.

People have an excuse for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Anecdotal evidence would suggest that the hospitals are not overrun with Supermarket workers suffering from Covid.
    My biggest issue with Supermarkets are the idiots wearing gloves both customers and staff.

More so when you see a customer rubbing his face and sweaty head before trying on a cap and touching other things in the shop....

People are actually really really stupid and gloves won't protect the rest of us from the likes of him....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Rodin wrote: »
    Used to go once a week in college. Brought a rucksack and filled it up.

Someone hasn't a car so it's twice a day?
    Nonsense.

People have an excuse for everything.

Walk to shop with bags.
    Do large shop.
    Ring taxi

• Registered Users Posts: 27,126 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

People who ignore the rules around COVID-19 are the same dicks who park on double yellow lines.
    "sure its grand, its only me" is the most idiotic logic possible, but being a selfish dick is not a new phenomenon.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭RCK1

Nurse on the radio now talking about 13hours shifts, scars from PPE and people dieing with no family around but sure its grand loike people here are bored let's all break restrictions because they "apply to someone else"

• Advertisement

RCK1 wrote: »
    Nurse on the radio now talking about 13hours shifts, scars from PPE and people dieing with no family around but sure its grand loike people here are bored let's all break restrictions because they "apply to someone else"

Very emotive. But people die every day. Especially over 65s.

Advertisement