Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I`m sure that if she was claiming that she had a condition that she didn`t have that someone in the medical profession would have contradicted her by now.

Interesting thing is that very few of the medical professionals are applying much logic apart from the great Dr Marcus Brun. Diagnosing Covid when it is only presumed is a strange development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

JRant wrote: »
    So looks like there was some sort of air survey being carried out over Dublin earlier today. A plane was flying a grid pattern overhead for the guts of an hour just before lunch time. Must have had government approval as we never see none commercial planes over us as we are on a direct flight path into Dublin airport.

I wonder is our new leader Tony looking for evidence other than his own anecdotes and some seismic readings to justify another 3 weeks of lockdown?
    I think another few weeks is pretty much a given at this stage for 2 reasons. 1, they don't want to lift restrictions before the UK and 2, it will help kept the heat off them over their mishandling of the nursing homes

Nobody wants to make a decision, they're hoping to piggy back on someone else. And while they **** around wringing their hands, the ability to make any decision is being taken off their hands because people aren't going to wait for them and will just get on with life.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Interesting thing is that very few of the medical professionals are applying much logic apart from the great Dr Marcus Brun. Diagnosing Covid when it is only presumed is a strange development.

Fudging the daily numbers is a new tatic, the numbers were dropping so they started to add in suspected cases, now 20% of our deaths are not confirmed.
    I read all Marcus piece before he resigned, I don't blame him we've mismanagement on an epic scale.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,093 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I’ll answer that: as Bandit most likely doesn’t have a job and relies on the State to fund him, dwelling in his council house basement posting on boards all day and trying to tell people what to do has most likely been the most fun he’s had in years.

So yeah, I’d say the lockdown is his happy place
    You also could get seriously ill from one of Bandit Luke’s food deliveries. I’m extremely concerned that he is most likely doing this without proper HAACP procedures in place or EHO oversight. Ecoli or the like could easily kill elderly/ vuenerable people.
    I am and have been following every rule and restriction and will continue to do so until May 5th. After that I’ll continue to socially distance but certainly won’t comply with many of the more ridiculous dictums coming from Cervical Check Tony and Lockdown Leo
    I agree with you on one point there. I’d also be more comfortable with her calling the shots as despite my loathing of her party, at least she was democratically elected and therefore has considerably more right to govern the country than Cervical Tony and Wrong Model Phil do.
    Do not post in this thread again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

GazzaL wrote: »
    We've actually smashed the targets set out, R0 is down to around 0.5. Both the numbers of people in intensive care and the number of hospital admissions have been declining for weeks. Professor Nolan said "since early April the growth rate of new cases was effectively zero". So from that, I would say that we have done enough and that we need to get back to a certain level of normality using social distancing, to avoid a spike in deaths from non-COVID related illnesses and suicide.

I know that, you know that, the government know it, the publicans know it, the country will be opening up faster than people think.

Right now, we’re engaged with government on how social distancing could work. Pubs are designed to facilitate social interaction, so it’s difficult. It’s that lively environment we all love.
    As pubs come in all shapes and sizes, each one will have its own problems when it comes to creating safe areas for social distancing.

Plans are being drafted by these pubs for how they can operate but the short-term problems of ensuring social distancing will be difficult to overcome.
    “Policies are being worked on,” Cribben said. “They have to take into account World Health Organization guidelines, and that’s what we’re talking to the Department of Health about.”

The pubs are the bell weather here, once they open the lockdown doom merchants are defeated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

GazzaL wrote: »
    Nobody wants to make a decision, they're hoping to piggy back on someone else. And while they **** around wringing their hands, the ability to make any decision is being taken off their hands because people aren't going to wait for them and will just get on with life.

Problem is they are using the Gardai to enforce this rubbish - checkpoints, forced closures and decimation of hitherto perfectly good businesses. Hiding behind discredited unelected civil servants like mr Holohan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Nermal

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/commentary/coronavirus-were-paying-a-high-price-for-saving-not-many-lives/news-story/cfc84bbabbf65852eed33521956c7240

"Ben Mol, a professor of obstetrics at Monash University, and Jonathan Karnon, a professor at Flinders University Medical Institute, argue what matters is life years saved, not lives per se. The median age of death from COVID-19 has been around 80 in Sweden and Australia.

This suggests an even greater over-reaction. “Assuming a willingness to pay $70,000 per life year saved, then Australia would, from a rational perspective, be prepared to pay not more than $3.8bn to justify the gained life years,” they tell Inquirer.

That’s about 1.2 per cent of the $320bn the government and Reserve Bank intend to spend to counteract stage three lockdowns, for which there’s no evidence."

How long does this need to go on? Why not admit our error now, rather than waiting till May 5th? Why throw away an extra €865M on another week of a clear policy failure?

I note the membership of the NPEHT prominently published in IT today. Not a single member on it who has the tools to analyse the problem from an economic point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭facehugger99

road_high wrote: »
    A bailout from whom? There seems to be a widely held delusion among many that the money markets will keep lending us cheap money just because we need it.
    They may initially, but the longer and deeper this gets the harder that will be. If we continue on this path of obliteration then the consequences will be dire. St tony and co will be fine- it’ll be the small business owners and middle income earners that will be decimated. I’m shocked (but not surprised) our useless media have nothing to say about this

People who spend their lives sucking on the State's tit don't need to concern themselves with how economies are run.

For them, there is actual magic-money that pay for their wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

JRant wrote: »
    So looks like there was some sort of air survey being carried out over Dublin earlier today. A plane was flying a grid pattern overhead for the guts of an hour just before lunch time. Must have had government approval as we never see none commercial planes over us as we are on a direct flight path into Dublin airport.

I wonder is our new leader Tony looking for evidence other than his own anecdotes and some seismic readings to justify another 3 weeks of lockdown?
    I think another few weeks is pretty much a given at this stage for 2 reasons. 1, they don't want to lift restrictions before the UK and 2, it will help kept the heat off them over their mishandling of the nursing homes

Geological survey. They've been happening all over the country recently. It's got nothing to do with monitoring if people are obeying the lockdown or not.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

easypazz wrote: »
    The pubs are the bell weather here, once they open the lockdown doom merchants are defeated.

Who are these, "lockdown doom merchants," of whom you speak?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I know that, you know that, the government know it, the publicans know it, the country will be opening up faster than people think.

Right now, we’re engaged with government on how social distancing could work. Pubs are designed to facilitate social interaction, so it’s difficult. It’s that lively environment we all love.
    As pubs come in all shapes and sizes, each one will have its own problems when it comes to creating safe areas for social distancing.

Plans are being drafted by these pubs for how they can operate but the short-term problems of ensuring social distancing will be difficult to overcome.
    “Policies are being worked on,” Cribben said. “They have to take into account World Health Organization guidelines, and that’s what we’re talking to the Department of Health about.”

Which will not happen, legally anyway, for a long time to come.

People who spend their lives sucking on the State's tit don't need to concern themselves with how economies are run.

For them, there is actual magic-money that pay for their wants.

They’re deluded if they think this won’t effect them- welfare spending is clearly first in line for cuts. Probably from an emergency budget over the summer. That will be fun

So you keep whining.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I think everyone knows that but theres various interviews with vininters in today's papers. The ones that also do food may re open when restaurants do.

Think people need to realise things will reopen eventually and we'll live along side this.

Those that can reopen eventually will. Be in a month, 2 months whatever

Penfailed wrote: »
    Geological survey. They've been happening all over the country recently. It's got nothing to do with monitoring if people are obeying the lockdown or not.

Shhh. That fact doesn`t suit certain people`s narrative. They would prefer if it was part of a massive government Big Brother operation or some other such paranoid nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

road_high wrote: »
    They’re deluded if they think this won’t effect them- welfare spending is clearly first in line for cuts. Probably from an emergency budget over the summer. That will be fun

I'm sure quite a few of the teachers pets on here will be a bit less cooperative in the event that happens.

I see RTE have rolled out their resident whinger Sam McConkey to bang the doomers drum on this fine sunny day.

So you keep whining.

Stating a fact is whining now is it?

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I'm sure quite a few of the teachers pets on here will be a bit less cooperative in the event that happens.

Well that’s their funeral then. Once this hits pockets more severely watch support melt away. The €350 thing is basically fools gold

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I see RTE have rolled out their resident whinger Sam McConkey to bang the doomers drum on this fine sunny day.

His prediction of 120,000 dead in Ireland was bang on the money

• Advertisement

He’s actually not the worst one- he often mentions the economy and the economic effects- unlike the space cadets in the hse and rte who think that’s irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nermal wrote: »
    https://www.theaustralian.com.au/commentary/coronavirus-were-paying-a-high-price-for-saving-not-many-lives/news-story/cfc84bbabbf65852eed33521956c7240

"Ben Mol, a professor of obstetrics at Monash University, and Jonathan Karnon, a professor at Flinders University Medical Institute, argue what matters is life years saved, not lives per se. The median age of death from COVID-19 has been around 80 in Sweden and Australia.

This suggests an even greater over-reaction. “Assuming a willingness to pay $70,000 per life year saved, then Australia would, from a rational perspective, be prepared to pay not more than $3.8bn to justify the gained life years,” they tell Inquirer.

That’s about 1.2 per cent of the $320bn the government and Reserve Bank intend to spend to counteract stage three lockdowns, for which there’s no evidence."

We can always find "experts" to justify our position. Also interesting to note that none of these so-called experts and suchlike YouTube heroes is ever anywhere near real decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Stating a fact is whining now is it?

Well its not really fact is it, it's your opinion.

VFI and LVA are both now in discussions with department of health drawing up plans that would see bars reopen where possible. Those serving food could open up with the restaurants

I think he's a smart guy and knows his area but there are times when silence would work best.

Well its not really fact is it, it's your opinion.

VFI and LVA are both now in discussions with department of health drawing up plans that would see bars reopen where possible. Those serving food could open up with the restaurants

Which is also your opinion. We will see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Struggling now.

GXh57v8.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

is_that_so wrote: »
    We can always find "experts" to justify our position. Also interesting to note that none of these so-called experts and suchlike YouTube heroes is ever anywhere near real decision making.

They are in Sweden.

His prediction of 120,000 dead in Ireland was bang on the money
    They might have been but he doesn't really strike me as someone who would balance things out and would always err in favour of total elimination of it as the option. Under his approach, one easily could see a minimum 3 month restriction.

jibber5000 wrote: »
    They are in Sweden.
    Exception proves the rule! We'll see on Sweden when this is all over and whether they have, as some have suggested, "sacrificed their old".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

Re measuring "life years" rather than lives..
    That way of looking at it is disturbing. No life is more expendable. If that was ok than you could judge the worth of a life in all sorts of ways.. how much decency, brains or sporting ability someone has. No way of knowing how much lifespan anyone has left anyway.
    is_that_so wrote: »

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement