Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

in the times today there was an article that quoted ronald reagans great line
    the nine scariest words in the English language were: “I’m from the government and I’m here to help. funny because its true.
    the bigger government grows the more individual liberty weakens
    government naturally wants to grow and grow and individual departments are actually in competition with each other for power.
    the more unemployment the happier dept of welfare are
    the more working the happier revenue are
    the more sick people the happier dept of health
    the more immigrant children the happier dept of education
    never trust government

harris and king leo are actually loving the power that comes with this crisis.
    they dont want it to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Which is also your opinion. We will see what happens.

Actually no it's not my opinion, it's what reps from both organisations quoted in today's papers

"Policies are being worked on,” Cribben said. “They have to take into account World Health Organization guidelines, and that’s what we’re talking to the Department of Health about."

"O’Keeffe added that it’s a difficult scenario for bar areas in particular – drawing a distinction between pubs with a bar and lounge area to serve food.

He said that – when restaurants are permitted to reopen – some pubs that have facilities to serve food could reopen on that basis."

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ellie1988

This idea is still in its early days and theyve only just starting discussing it in the uk now, but if we could implement something like this after May 5th it could be the boost people need https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2020/04/24/small-bubbles-friends-family-allowed-meet-soon-12605196/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Re measuring "life years" rather than lives..
    I find that way of looking at it disturbing. No life is more expendable. If that was ok than you could judge the worth of a life in all sorts of ways.. how much decency, brains or sporting ability someone has. No way of knowing how much lifespan anyone has left anyway.
    I agree, they talk about a clinical call for each case but the public health aim should always be to give them the most appropriate medical care. It's the least we should expect.

Ellie1988 wrote: »
    This idea is still in its early days and theyve only just starting discussing it in the uk now, but if we could implement something like this after May 5th it could be the boost people need https://www.google.com/amp/s/metro.co.uk/2020/04/24/small-bubbles-friends-family-allowed-meet-soon-12605196/amp/
    I firmly believe that has to be part of it, if not immediately, within a 1-2 week timeframe. It will help sell the whole plan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

in the times today there was an article that quoted ronald reagans great line
    the nine scariest words in the English language were: “I’m from the government and I’m here to help. funny because its true.
    the bigger government grows the more individual liberty weakens
    government naturally wants to grow and grow and individual departments are actually in competition with each other for power.
    the more unemployment the happier dept of welfare are
    the more working the happier revenue are
    the more sick people the happier dept of health
    the more immigrant children the happier dept of education
    never trust government

harris and king leo are actually loving the power that comes with this crisis.
    they dont want it to the end

Really? Strange isn`t it that after the GE results that most FG politicians and certainly Leo wanted to go into opposition. Explain that one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Re measuring "life years" rather than lives..
    I find that way of looking at it disturbing. No life is more expendable. If that was ok than you could judge the worth of a life in all sorts of ways.. how much decency, brains or sporting ability someone has. No way of knowing how much lifespan anyone has left anyway.

Pharmacoeconomics does this for all medicine. It's not just life years, it's quality life years.

It's the only sensible way to deal with the unavoidable scarcity in healthcare and medicine provision.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Really? Strange isn`t it that after the GE results that FG and Leo in particular wanted to go into opposition. Explain that one.

They might be bad but the other vegetables have about as much interest in governing and hard work as you have in ending the lockdown. So we are stuck with them, for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭OutTheGap

There is an article on it in the Irish Times today and apparently it has worked well in New Zealand. Might be a good first step when they decide to lift the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

They have to do something, they can't come out on the 5th May and say there will be 0 changes. They have to give people something to look forward to

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »
    Pharmacoeconomics does this for all medicine. It's not just life years, it's quality life years.

It's the only sensible way to deal with the unavoidable scarcity in healthcare and medicine provision.
    This is not pharma-economics, it's a callous method of ascribing an economic cost to a scenario which was coming anyway and drumming up ways to cut that cost.

road_high wrote: »
    They might be bad but the other vegetables have about as much interest in governing and hard work as you have in ending the lockdown. So we are stuck with them, for a long time

So you do acknowledge that despite their mistakes they are actually governing the country through this crisis. You are making progress.

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    They have to do something, they can't come out on the 5th May and say there will be 0 changes. They have to give people something to look forward to

Well if they’re anything like the doom merchants here they’d extend it by three months reinforced by Garda beatings and fines.
    When you ask for evidence of why and what good that would do you get vague cliches about saving lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Which will not happen, legally anyway, for a long time to come.
    Stating a fact is whining now is it?

Source?

Didn't think so.

2021 you are saying, isn't it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 352 ✭✭lord quackinton

Really? Strange isn`t it that after the GE results that most FG politicians and certainly Leo wanted to go into opposition. Explain that one.

It’s called bitterness at getting bottoms spanked
    They gave us abortion and gay marriage and could not believe they lost many seats

But this crisis they believe is their road to Damascus moment
    Idiots

So you do acknowledge that despite their mistakes they are actually governing the country through this crisis. You are making progress.

Said several times I voted FG and had supported the current government. Especially re the economy which they’ve set on fire now.
    But that doesn’t mean they are immune from criticism or getting lots wrong. Which they are. I’m not a one dimensional robot that can’t see a bigger picture or nuances involved. If they asked me to jump off a cliff I wouldn’t. But they’re forcing us off an economic one. I’ll never support that

They gave us abortion and gay marriage and could not believe they lost many seats

Idiots

And your evidence for this comment is what exactly?

Are you familiar with medical privacy rules? Anybody could claim they had anything and there isn’t a Dr. anywhere who’d openly contradict them as it would be a clear breach of those laws.

Perfect example- a doctor can sign you off sick without stating a reason and the only recourse for the employer is to request an occupational health assessment. Even in that situation the Occupational Health Doctor can only confirm (in their opinion) whether you are fit to work or not. They can’t tell your employer what you do or don’t have

If you work for the public service (well at least for Dublin City Council) any medical certs you submit must state the nature of the illness, but eg if you had venereal disease, “viral infection” would suffice. It is to see if there is a pattern of illness that may be related to or made worse by your work situation, eg if you had a bad back and had been trying to lift heavy stuff etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Idiots
    They were having a good pandemic, up to now. But they're losing the public.

Even here, you can now query received wisdom and not have a response along the line " how many deaths do you want?" that gets fifty posters clicking their thanks.

If they've even lost the Interweb crowd, I imagine the GAA crowd are developing a positive strategy to get their lives back.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am dying to see my family face to face. I am dying to go to the sea which is 5k from my home, there are lots of things I would love to be able to do. But will observe the rules. It is for all our good.

Hopefully DIY stores will re open ( with strict in and out and distancing rules), because many want something to do at home, that's ok.

Public Transport is off the radar unless for essential travel. Can live with that, but like many used to love the DART trip out to Killiney and walk back up the Vico Road and have a few and a meal in Finnegans in Dalkey. Gone, but hey, it's not essential.

I know I'm just talking about myself, but I live in a little quiet enclave of Dublin, and have discovered some really amazing spots over the last few days from Facebook. I am anonymous there and just use it to get info about the locality. Eye opener for me anyway. Never had the time before I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭prunudo

RugbyLad11 wrote: »

And this is what really got to me about Leo's comments yesterday, no talk of a plan, no mention of hope, just threatening the bold children with further restrictions if they didn't behave.
    I was pleasantly surprised to read some of the comments on this thread as of late between boards, other social media I've felt that I'm surrounded by people who want to see current restrictions contuine for as long as possible.
    I'll be honest, if they don't relax even the 2km limit on May 5th I'll crack up. All the 'tools' that I used during the financial crash to maintain decent mental health have been taken and I'd fear for my sanity if these current restrictions last much more.

prunudo wrote: »
    And this is what really got to me about Leo's comments yesterday, no talk of a plan, no mention of hope, just threatening the bold children with further restrictions if they didn't behave.
    I was pleasantly surprised to read some of the comments on this thread as of late between boards, other social media I've felt that I'm surrounded by people who want to see current restrictions contuine for as long as possible.
    I'll be honest, if they don't relax even the 2km limit on May 5th I'll crack up. All the 'tools' that I used during the financial crash to maintain decent mental health have been taken and I'd fear for my sanity if these current restrictions last much more.
    They are working on a plan and will have to have it before 5 May. He's certainly said this on other occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Stay away from the comment section on the journal.ie the people who post on that need to be rounded up and medically assessed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭prunudo

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are working on a plan and will have to have it before 5 May. He's certainly said this on other occasions.

I hope you're right, just not the impression I got yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

52 deaths today and new cases staying the same. I hope restrictions arent eased for another few weeks for the sake of us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I am dying to see my family face to face. I am dying to go to the sea which is 5k from my home, there are lots of things I would love to be able to do. But will observe the rules. It is for all our good.

Hopefully DIY stores will re open ( with strict in and out and distancing rules), because many want something to do at home, that's ok.

Public Transport is off the radar unless for essential travel. Can live with that, but like many used to love the DART trip out to Killiney and walk back up the Vico Road and have a few and a meal in Finnegans in Dalkey. Gone, but hey, it's not essential.

I know I'm just talking about myself, but I live in a little quiet enclave of Dublin, and have discovered some really amazing spots over the last few days from Facebook. I am anonymous there and just use it to get info about the locality. Eye opener for me anyway. Never had the time before I suppose.

It's true that every person's circumstances are different. For me Public Transport would be important as I live outside Drogheda and the 3-4 close friends I have are all in Dublin. So if public transport is a no-go then I will have to wait for longer before I see them in person and continue the video calls when time permits. Not ideal but it will have to do I guess. . .

I hope you're right, just not the impression I got yesterday.
    Yesterday was a finger wagging day all round to make us hold the line a bit longer.
    Some discussion about a possible plan here.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/lifting-the-lockdown-what-are-the-plans-1.4236891

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I’d be really happy if they let pub lounges open to serve food. Surely you could get a pint with your sambo/curry.

Today would be great day for a creamy pint...Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Stay away from the comment section on the journal.ie the people who post on that need to be rounded up and medically assessed

Scary, no one examines the figures or the R0 rates just panicmongering, although I fear a lot of this comes from people that lockdown most of the time anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Deaths are obviously lagging behind positive testing numbers, may they all rest in peace.

This is unprecedented in our lifetimes, and like many I find it hard to process, since it happened so quickly really. The bereaved must be reeling both with the loss of a loved one, not being able to be with them, and having a tiny funeral too without the usual "Irish" way of grieving. So sorry for them all.

I suppose until the community spread is as near to zero as we can get it, we really have to observe the rules, subject to the slow opening of DIY and Construction and so on.

Life as we knew it is not going to reopen anytime soon, much as I wish it would, but it's not safe enough right now. But maybe a laxing of the 2k rule might help us to visit family close enough by. The concern is, that say a 5 or 10k limit will have everyone out. I dunno what the solution is, so you can imagine what they are trying to deal with from foaming at the mouth keyboard warriors.

I get that younger people (than me) think they are invincible, maybe they are, but could carry it all over the zone just the same.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement