Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of restrictions Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Irish Aris wrote: »
    It's true that every person's circumstances are different. For me Public Transport would be important as I live outside Drogheda and the 3-4 close friends I have are all in Dublin. So if public transport is a no-go then I will have to wait for longer before I see them in person and continue the video calls when time permits. Not ideal but it will have to do I guess. . .

I know it's tough. But hang in there.

The vast majority are missing lots of normal things, and their families/friends particularly.

Pubs and clubs and restaurants are not on their radar at the moment, it is not being able to see people that has many going doo lally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

road_high wrote: »
    Well that’s their funeral then. Once this hits pockets more severely watch support melt away. The €350 thing is basically fools gold

They won't be able to get the taxpayers out quick enough to help heavily subsidize their rent if that happens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

seamusk84 wrote: »
    I’d be really happy if they let pub lounges open to serve food. Surely you could get a pint with your sambo/curry.

Today would be great day for a creamy pint...Bloody hell.

Sorry to say you will be waiting for a considerable amount of time for that to happen. Legally anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭VonLuck

prunudo wrote: »
    All the 'tools' that I used during the financial crash to maintain decent mental health have been taken and I'd fear for my sanity if these current restrictions last much more.

Genuine question, what tools have been taken from you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    They won't be able to get the taxpayers out quick enough to help heavily subsidize their rent if that happens.

The sad thing is there won’t be anything left for taxpayers to get back out to though .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,923 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Irish Aris wrote: »
    It's true that every person's circumstances are different. For me Public Transport would be important as I live outside Drogheda and the 3-4 close friends I have are all in Dublin. So if public transport is a no-go then I will have to wait for longer before I see them in person and continue the video calls when time permits. Not ideal but it will have to do I guess. . .

If they extend the restrictions after such a dramatic drop in transmission then just go visit your friends. There is absolutely no good reason to be locked away from family and friends after May 5th unless they have a bloody good reason for it.
    Dropping the ball and allowing nursing and residential homes become hot spots is not going to cut it for the remaining 98% of the population.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭prunudo

VonLuck wrote: »
    Genuine question, what tools have been taken from you?

The things and activities that I use to keep a good head space, tools probably wrong word more coping mechanisms.

Oh look, let's just infect the older people, and those with underlying conditions, and the younger cohort can do what they want.

Which they probably will anyway. Typical, like the Traveller cohort with their lack of care for the rules. Blame the Guards. Totally, they are terrified of them, or from any backlash. Now is the time to do it because if that cohort is held to the rules, others may comply, but when they see them getting away with it, there will be no respect for these restriction as they only apply to law abiding people as usual.

The sad thing is there won’t be anything left for taxpayers to get back out to though .

Maybe we can help disinfect the bottle banks which according to Corkboy are going to become epicentres of the virus. Or maybe shooing cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Oh look, let's just infect the older people, and those with underlying conditions, and the younger cohort can do what they want.

Which they probably will anyway. Typical, like the Traveller cohort with their lack of care for the rules. Blame the Guards. Totally, they are terrified of them, or from any backlash. Now is the time to do it because if that cohort is held to the rules, others may comply, but when they see them getting away with it, there will be no respect for these restriction as they only apply to law abiding people as usual.

Your 1st post suggested its tough but we will get through it with patronising undertones, and now you have gone full circle suggesting we are all lawless nomads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

52 deaths today and new cases staying the same. I hope restrictions arent eased for another few weeks for the sake of us all.

I hope they are eased for the sake of us all, how will staying at home cure the care home disaster? A facebook like would be just as effective

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭VonLuck

prunudo wrote: »
    The things and activities that I use to keep a good head space, tools probably wrong word more coping mechanisms.

Oh yes I understood that, but I meant what specifically.

Your 1st post suggested its tough but we will get through it with patronising undertones, and now you have gone full circle suggesting we are all lawless nomads

Ah not at all.

But....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭eggy81

What's the latest with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

On the basis of what I've seen today the teenagers have decided that they can live without granny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

OutTheGap wrote: »
    There is an article on it in the Irish Times today and apparently it has worked well in New Zealand. Might be a good first step when they decide to lift the restrictions.

Perhaps you should be able to register 4 people you will meet. Perhaps you could have an anonymous system that sent both people a code.
    Although the system would be anonymous, they could still work out the network of contacts and the number of people within one or two degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

JRant wrote: »
    If they extend the restrictions after such a dramatic drop in transmission then just go visit your friends. There is absolutely no good reason to be locked away from family and friends after May 5th unless they have a bloody good reason for it.
    Dropping the ball and allowing nursing and residential homes become hot spots is not going to cut it for the remaining 98% of the population.

as much as I would like to see them in person, I would be reluctant to break the restrictions. I would of course be very careful and we would definitely maintain the social distancing. My main concern would be using the public transport, and for that I plan to wear a mask.
    Anyway, one week away from the announcement, let's see how this will play out. Based on Simon Harris' latest comments I'm not hopeful at all, but as we say in Greece "hope dies last"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Ahwell

When you ask for evidence of why and what good that would do you get vague cliches about saving lives

No, this is vague...
    I’m sceptical of the so called lockdown having any real effect on numbers.

The reproduction rate of the virus was reduced from 4.7 to between 0.5 and one. The number of people being admitted to hospital with the virus falling from 100 people per day to 40 people a day. The number of people in intensive care is also falling. This is not vague

polesheep wrote: »
    On the basis of what I've seen today the teenagers have decided that they can live without granny.

You should probably spend a little less time watching teenagers. People will get the wrong impression.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Maybe we can help disinfect the bottle banks which according to Corkboy are going to become epicentres of the virus. Or maybe shooing cyclists.

Does your mammy know that you`re on the internet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Sorry to say you will be waiting for a considerable amount of time for that to happen. Legally anyway.

So you keep whining, claiming it as fact, and no source.

Yawn.

Does your mammy know that you`re on the internet?

God must've taken you all day to come up with that one. Unfortunately I don't think the standup career is going anywhere for yourself. Back to Mammy's basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Can't speak for others but today was one of the worst days I've seen since the lockdown started in terms of people not respecting the guidelines. There was nothing to suggest there was a problem at all based on the volume of people out and about. Lots of youths on bikes, and I spotted three of them sitting on the grass, hanging out. Not that they're the only demographic at fault. Plenty of middle-aged types out in groups, mostly dog walkers, stopping to have a chat with no distancing.

I can't call what I saw today a lockdown. To me there was no discernible difference from what I saw compared to last year, or any other year. The message from the government appears to be falling on deaf (or dumb, or both) ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭alwald

easypazz wrote: »
    So you keep whining, claiming it as fact, and no source.

Yawn.

You keep whinging too, the whole day...today was a beautiful day, I cooked some delicious meals, went out exercising, cut the grass, played with my kids, opened a beer and here you are whinging.
    The anti lockdown merchants are asking for restrictions to be lifted and yet on this beautiful day they are all whinging :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

seamusk84 wrote: »
    I’d be really happy if they let pub lounges open to serve food. Surely you could get a pint with your sambo/curry.

Today would be great day for a creamy pint...Bloody hell.

They could well do along with restaurants, VFI and LVA all looking into it with gov, regardless of what some posters will tell you here who are hell bent on seeing them closed until 2021.
    Whenever restrictions are lifted I'll firstly be going to see family, then a haircut and then out to the local to catch up with everyone, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

polesheep wrote: »

There are a few adults around my way who clearly feel they have waited long enough for their inheritance.

No, they aren’t socially distancing before someone asks.

They could well do along with restaurants, VFI and LVA all looking into it with gov, regardless of what some posters will tell you here who are hell bent on seeing them closed until 2021.
    Whenever restrictions are lifted I'll firstly be going to see family, then a haircut and then out to the local to catch up with everyone, looking forward to it.

Expect a lot of pubs to become "restaurants" toasted sandwiches, Pizza, etc.

The same as local shops are suddenly becoming DIY outlets and paint depots.

alwald wrote: »
    You keep whinging too, the whole day...today was a beautiful day, I cooked some delicious meals, went out exercising, cut the grass, played with my kids, opened a beer and here you are whinging.
    The anti lockdown merchants are asking for restrictions to be lifted and yet on this beautiful day they are all whinging :pac:.

Really don't get your point. I did the same as you today except cut the grass, and now you are in here whinging away

Pot, kettle, Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Its soul-destroying to see country after country around europe announce their plans to reopen while we sit here in the dark. It's depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

alwald wrote: »

Well aren't you lucky to lead such a wholesome perfect life? Clearly you don't live in a cramped apartment with 3 kids, abusive partner, no garden, poor cooking skills etc. But who cares as long as life is super up on Alwald Mountain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement