Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

I think the parents could probably find a way to do something without the schools. Something organised but within the guidelines.

There's about 25 kids out playing on the green here all in their different little groups.

The sounds from them, laughing, shouting and playing is most welcome and has been mostly absent for too long a time. I know they have had stress from this, it would be hard not to but they bounce back fast!

Delighted to see normal life returning, you don't realise how much we take for granted until we no longer have it.

I'm sure the parents will come up with something nice. Some of my own class have met up and you should see the joy in their faces talking about it. It has been a lonely time for some kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I'm sure the parents will come up with something nice. Some of my own class have met up and you should see the joy in their faces talking about it. It has been a lonely time for some kids.

My daughter found her 6 year old sobbing on her bed a few weeks ago . After much hugs and asking why she said she felt “ very lonely and missed school “
    She rang me and I read a book via whatsapp till she fell asleep . We were very conscious after it that the little ones were lonely and not always verbalising it
    We all have to make sure they will be ok and their little heads find peace again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Could be the beginning of the end for social distancing, 2m guideline being reviewed today.

Hopefully common sense will prevail and we can step in line with the rest of the world. The signmakers will be busy :)

https://www.thejournal.ie/tony-holohan-meet-government-ministers-5108751-May2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

Could be the beginning of the end for social distancing, 2m guideline being reviewed today.

Hopefully common sense will prevail and we can step in line with the rest of the world. The signmakers will be busy :)

https://www.thejournal.ie/tony-holohan-meet-government-ministers-5108751-May2020/

You mean step in line with those countries that don't use 2m.
    Some countries follow 2m, the US is 1.8m, other countries are 1.5m and others are 1m.
    It absolutely isn't the beginning of the end for social distancing, which unfortunately may need to continue for several years.
    Seeing as the WHO says 2m keeps you safe 99% of the time.
    I think there needs to be patience as well as common sense. 1m may be okay in many outdoor settings but 2m may need to be maintained in other settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Murple wrote: »
    Some countries follow 2m, the US is 1.8m, other countries are 1.5m and others are 1m.
    It absolutely isn't the beginning of the end for social distancing, which unfortunately may need to continue for several years.
    I think there needs to be patience as well as common sense. 1m may be okay in many outdoor settings but 2m may need to be maintained in other settings.
    Get out a measuring tape and measure 2m. How are schools going to manage to accommodate any amount of students. Kids will only be able to go to school 1 or 2 days a week. 1m is the only way to go. Remember for 80 percent who get Covid 19 it's a mild or moderate symptoms. We are giving up alot for the 20 percent

• Advertisement

It won't be necessary for a few years, people are already going back to normal. When we get to no cases after a while there will be no need for social distancing.

Social distancing has been used in previous pandemics but people didn't social distance for years on end.

Much of it will be around optics to allow businesses to reopen but people already have problems adhering to it, they won't continue it indefinitely.

mullinr2 wrote: »
    Get out a measuring tape and measure 2m. How are schools going to manage to accommodate any amount of students. Kids will only be able to go to school 1 or 2 days a week. 1m is the only way to go. Remember for 80 percent who get Covid 19 it's a mild or moderate symptoms. We are giving up alot for the 20 percent

I don’t need to get out a measuring tape thanks. The idea of a 2m distance is to prevent spread not necessarily to protect every individual. The closer we are, the easier the virus spreads and the more chance that someone will pick it up who could need hospitalisation or be out of action for several week. No one knows who the ‘20 percent’ are. Yes some people have a higher risk of being more severely impacted but there have been plenty of people who were in good health and were badly affected.
    I mentioned patience. There are a lot of bandwagons around this year. The media are driving them. They push for something to create headlines. Case in point the Leaving Cert. Now it’s reducing 2m to 1m. I certainly would hope that come September it would be reduced to 1m though even that will be difficult to implement in most classrooms without halving the number of children. All the photos I’ve seen of schools round the world reopening have single desks per child. In this country, in primary certainly, we almost always have a double desk. Even with a reduced 1 metre distance, only 1 child could sit at each table.
    With patience, we are in a very good position to near eradicate this virus in the coming months but the media have got impatient. Wait for them turning round and asking why was the government phased programme not followed if the numbers rocket after they have pushed for it to be rushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

With patience, we are in a very good position to near eradicate this virus in the coming months but the media have got impatient. Wait for them turning round and asking why was the government phased programme not followed if the numbers rocket after they have pushed for it to be rushed.

That pleb Ciara Kelly would be leading that charge on her Newstalk show.

Everywhere I go I see kids out playing with each other . By September they will all have been together and if numbers are still controlled they might as well go to school as normal
    I would be all for washing hands , teaching hygiene , hand sanitizer , temp checks before school , wiping the tables etc
    But three months of mixing will tell us if we can pull back on heavy distancing etc

It would be daft if they were all a metre apart in school then all bundle into buses snd cars and go home and play with each other anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Everywhere I go I see kids out playing with each other . By September they will all have been together and if numbers are still controlled they might as well go to school as normal
    I would be all for washing hands , teaching hygiene , hand sanitizer , temp checks before school , wiping the tables etc
    But three months of mixing will tell us if we can pull back on heavy distancing etc

I’m not just being contrary here but I’m genuinely not seeing kids playing. There one or two families on my estate that I’ve seen out on bikes together but no other mixing. I’ve seen some small groups of teens whose understanding of 2m is questionable but they we’re groups of 3 or 4 nothing extreme. I don’t think all kids will be mixing by September. Plenty of parents will still be conservative and may not welcome reduction of the social distance.

• Advertisement

kandr10 wrote: »
    I’m not just being contrary here but I’m genuinely not seeing kids playing. There one or two families on my estate that I’ve seen out on bikes together but no other mixing. I’ve seen some small groups of teens whose understanding of 2m is questionable but they we’re groups of 3 or 4 nothing extreme. I don’t think all kids will be mixing by September. Plenty of parents will still be conservative and may not welcome reduction of the social distance.

Maybe it depends on the part of the country we are in . I am seeing kids on greens outdoors playing together in small groups . On bikes , playing chasing , hopscotch etc all outdoors

kandr10 wrote: »

It's like a normal summers day here where I am, loads of kids if all ages out playing and mixing together since last week.

Though some of them were never kept apart throughout the restrictions but there's been a huge increase out playing with phase 1.

To be honest other than having to queue to get into my local supermarket things are like business as usual here.

Playgrounds will be open on July 29th . There is no way on this earth that kids will socially distance in a playground !! By September most kids will be mixing snd playing with each other

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Playgrounds will be open on July 29th . There is no way on this earth that kids will socially distance in a playground !! By September most kids will be mixing snd playing with each other

We even managed to have a couple of playdates last week, it was brilliant and the weather is really helping for outdoor play etc.

The estate here is packed with people visiting friends and family. All the kids having a ball and the adults are able to catch up outdoors.

Light at the end of the tunnel finally, grandparents visited and finally got to spend some time off video call and in person with their grandkids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Greens are teaming with kids here too and not just my exact location. I see it on route back and forth food shopping, when I go running too. Granted there was those who never followed rules but the difference in even sound outside is huge since the 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

If this is the best they can come up with for childcare, i hate to think of what the schools plan will look like

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/children-over-6-to-keep-apart-in-play-pods-1002112.html

Hubertj wrote: »
    If this is the best they can come up with for childcare, i hate to think of what the schools plan will look like

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/children-over-6-to-keep-apart-in-play-pods-1002112.html

What would you have suggested?

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Hubertj wrote: »

The DCYA are in charge of what happens in childcare facilities. The Dept. of Education are in charge of what happens in schools so they may not have the same approach.

Very strange headline for the article IMO as the current proposal is that all children in childcare of all ages will be kept in “pods”, not just over-6’S.

You can read the full DCYA document which was published yesterday at this link

https://e.sensorpro.net/DocManagement/OpenDocument.aspx?DocIdGuid=b87c1ce6-87ae-4650-a713-6f63d7f77e81

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Schools will have to open up as normal in Sept, I know we won't be able to manage home schooling and 2 full time jobs at the same time.

Cases are under 100 and by end next week under 50 a day, so by sept it be very low.

Schools will have to open up as normal in Sept

Think I can speak for pretty much every teacher in Ireland by saying that we hope that we can.

There is a however though. We want and need our employer to step up to the mark and provide decent, comprehensive and workable guidance and guidelines so that our students, colleagues, friends and our students families can be safe. Don't think that is too much to ask for is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,865 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Cases are under 100 and by end next week under 50 a day, so by sept it be very low.

:confused:

Mystic Meg?

Think I can speak for pretty much every teacher in Ireland by saying that we hope that we can.

There is a however though. We want and need our employer to step up to the mark and provide decent, comprehensive and workable guidance and guidelines so that our students, colleagues, friends and our students families can be safe. Don't think that is too much to ask for is it?

Not at all but i think the guidelines by then will be pretty straight forward.
    Kids will be back playing sport in Sept. We can't stop the kids from playing in the yard and can't do anything that will affect their mental health.
    Social distancing will need to go

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Tommysocks11

Open up everything, what about shop workers, hospital staff etc, they are dealing with public and no problem, whats this schools problem, back to school as normal, things will be fine in september, and kids arent super spreaders even, other countries have schools open now even, too much scare mongering

Kids will be back playing sport in Sept.

What sport? I'm involved in GAA and we have been told to not expect any games for anyone under 16 and below. The SFAI have also said nothing until September at the earliest for training so I'm not quite sure where you are getting that viewpoint?

Boggles wrote: »
    :confused:

Mystic Meg?

No its called looking at the stats. There is a steady fall, we hit under 50 last weekend. Going by previous patterns we should be under 50 at the of next week.

Open up everything, what about shop workers, hospital staff etc, they are dealing with public and no problem, whats this schools problem, back to school as normal, things will be fine in september, and kids arent super spreaders even, other countries have schools open now even, too much scare mongering

Have you even looked at the version of school that is opening in these countries? Children in for one day a week. Children having to sit in 2sqm boxes marked on the ground for break time.

As I've already said we just need our employer to do their job and provide us with workable guidelines. One example would be if kids only go to school 1/2/3 days a week who provides and guides remote learning for those days where they aren't actually in school? Can't be their actual teacher as they are teaching the kids who are in school that day?

If kids are split into groups and addend physical school some of the week these are the practicalities that need to be decided at a level above the normal teachers head.

None of us want this to be the case but the chances are at some stage of the next school year that we will have to do this if a 2nd/3rd wave arrives. That is not scaremongering, that is being realistic and looking for the dept to do their job and provide solutions which are achievable and implementable.

What sport? I'm involved in GAA and we have been told to not expect any games for anyone under 16 and below. The SFAI have also said nothing until September at the earliest for training so I'm not quite sure where you are getting that viewpoint?

Phase 5 says "Permit close physical contact sports, ie boxing, wrestling, rugby gaa)
    Also it says "Permit sports spectatorship which involve mass gatherings where social distancing can be maintained for the spectators"

7,891 cases of Covid-19 are associated with healthcare workers. Yep, sounds like dealing with the public has caused no problem!

Have you even looked at the version of school that is opening in these countries? Children in for one day a week. Children having to sit in 2sqm boxes marked on the ground for break time.

As I've already said we just need our employer to do their job and provide us with workable guidelines. One example would be if kids only go to school 1/2/3 days a week who provides and guides remote learning for those days where they aren't actually in school? Can't be their actual teacher as they are teaching the kids who are in school that day?

If kids are split into groups and addend physical school some of the week these are the practicalities that need to be decided at a level above the normal teachers head.

None of us want this to be the case but the chances are at some stage of the next school year that we will have to do this if a 2nd/3rd wave arrives. That is not scaremongering, that is being realistic and looking for the dept to do their job and provide solutions which are achievable and implementable.

If a second wave comes we probably lockdown but that be the end of the lockdowns. As a society we will have to move on.
    More than 1 more lockdown and there be no money for Public Sector, just massive paycuts.

• Advertisement

Phase 5 says "Permit close physical contact sports, ie boxing, wrestling, rugby gaa)
    Also it says "Permit sports spectatorship which involve mass gatherings where social distancing can be maintained for the spectators"

The guidelines might say that but the actual organisations themselves have said they are approaching things differently. The GAA president said that himself on primetime and the SFAI statement is there to be viewed in their website. Those are by far the two largest participant sporting organisations in our country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement