Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Schools dont have money for adequate hot water providing hand sanitizer is a very big ask. Whatever is agreed upon it will take considerable financial investment by the government.

Parents should have to supply their own for each child. That should be part of the general contract being drawn up.

Of course you'll always have the one or two parents that don't bother their holes and expect others to provide for their children, but it's not too much to ask that each of them has their own little bottle.

I've always put a little bottle in their bags since swine flu, now whether they use it or not is another thing :)

A little reminder that it should be used at lunch time, after toilet breaks and yard time they would soon get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Schools dont have money for adequate hot water providing hand sanitizer is a very big ask. Whatever is agreed upon it will take considerable financial investment by the government.

When something becomes necessary, like taking over private hospitals, it is no longer a big ask. It is just do or die type of thing. Hand sanitizers are the single most effective way of getting our children back to school and keeping them and the staff safe so it will just have to be provided. It isn't an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Mrsmum wrote: »
    When something becomes necessary, like taking over private hospitals, it is no longer a big ask. It is just do or die type of thing. Hand sanitizers are the single most effective way of getting our children back to school and keeping them and the staff safe so it will just have to be provided. It isn't an option.

I agree with you - my post was more in relation to the statement that schools should provide x y or z. This is put forward time and time again across all different contexts. It is not schools who should( as they are not self financing) but the government who have underfunded education in this country for a very very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

This is what teachers have been saying. Some people will argue with their toes. Hand sanitiser and proper cleaning of schools is not such a big thing to be asking in the scheme of things, suggestions have gone in and depending on where we will be in September hopefully it is one of a number of stratgies to be implemented.

We already have hand santizers in our schools and keeping them filled is a nightmare but necessary. No one is asking that the children be sprayed down before entering schools just that proper cleaning takes place as often as the implemented schedule requires.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭mosii

Why cant the school start at least a week early,try and make up for education of our young.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

mosii wrote: »
    Why cant the school start at least a week early,try and make up for education of our young.

Are you mad.the unions would have a canary if they were asked to start back a week or two earlier

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Are you mad.the unions would have a canary if they were asked to start back a week or two earlier

True I suppose,but if it came from the teachers themselves?

khalessi wrote: »
    This is what teachers have been saying. Some people will argue with their toes. Hand sanitiser and proper cleaning of schools is not such a big thing to be asking in the scheme of things, suggestions have gone in and depending on where we will be in September hopefully it is one of a number of stratgies to be implemented.

We already have hand santizers in our schools and keeping them filled is a nightmare but necessary. No one is asking that the children be sprayed down before entering schools just that proper cleaning takes place as often as the implemented schedule requires.

Hmmm quite a argument inciting statement. Perhaps you misinterpreted my tone as I am discussing not arguing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭giveitholly

The teachers know well to toe the line and hide behind the unions

Teachers have it wrapped up..:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Hmmm quite a argument inciting statement. Perhaps you misinterpreted my tone as I am discussing not arguing at all.

I was agreeing with you and apologies if you think it is argument inducing not my intention

khalessi wrote: »
    I was agreeing with you and apologies if you think it is argument inducing not my intention

Sorry. I obviously misinterpreted your post :).

boggerman1 wrote: »

Oh you can bet unions will begin spouting some line about guaranteed safety. There is no such thing and there never was.

There are already guidelines for businesses reopening, take that and adapt it as much as possible for schools.

Unions will be putting any spanner they can find in the works, instead of protecting their members jobs.

Union demands will have very little place in the economic wasteland we find ourselves in. But it's to be expected that some unions will be purposely oppositional and invent obstacles so their members can't return to work.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Teachers have it wrapped up..

etc. etc.

Mod: Quit it with the running commentary on what you think of teachers. As per the thread title, the topic of discussion is "How will schools be able to go back in September?"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

This will be the big question. Will the government pony up what is needed? Think the vast majority of us actually involved in education already know the answer to that question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Primary school near my SIL, has a few teachers who are very overweight and with underlining health conditions who are refusing to go back in September unless they are given certain assurances, and their colleagues are supporting their stance... haven't a clue what union they are

SIL is worried as that's were her kids go, and she's likely going to be back in the office from September.

We make plenty of suggestions and the vast vast majority of them are ignored. I'll go back when I'm told to. I fully expect that the school staff will have to be back in earlier before kids are back. Going to be a lot of preparations to be done. We as a staff in my school have started talking out various scenarios. That is all we can do at the moment until we are given some guidance. The reality though is that it could be the weekend before we are actually expected back in with kids before these guidelines arrive. The dept have form for last minute announcements that they expect to be implemented immediately. A lot of them are half baked rubbish ideas as well and ill thought out.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Primary school near my SIL, has a few teachers who are very overweight and with underlining health conditions who are refusing to go back in September unless they are given certain assurances, and their colleagues are supporting their stance... haven't a clue what union they are

SIL is worried as that's were her kids go, and she's likely going to be back in the office from September.

How does she know this? Hardly public knowledge is it or is it the usual school gate gossiping except now over zoom and whatsapp.

Also only one union for primary, the INTO and a lot of teachers aren't members for various reasons.

How does she know this? Hardly public knowledge is it or is it the usual school gate gossiping except now over zoom and whatsapp.

Also only one union for primary, the INTO and a lot of teachers aren't members for various reasons.

The principal is her brother

He probably shouldn't be talking shop outside of school like that, especially so when it concerns health matters.

Myself and another staff member went through our staff last week and expect two or three of them to potentially have issues in September with underlying issues within their own families that could throw up issues with returning. All pie in the sky at the moment but could possibly means they aren't allowed back into the school building depending on how the dept approaches staff wellbeing and their duty of care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

She’d better stop gossiping then because he would be in serious trouble if it emerged that he had disclosed personal information about staff members.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

This will be the big question. Will the government pony up what is needed? Think the vast majority of us actually involved in education already know the answer to that question.

The Government has a lot to 'Pony' up for at the minute with no way of cutting back on outgoings, wage costs etc even though schools will be closed for the best part of 6 months. The majority of people who can in someway plug that fiscal hole are SME's and employers in the private sector who are keen to get back to work but can't at the moment as lifting restrictions are over cautious IMO. Hopefully things start to speed up soon or there will be no funds for a lot of things over the coming years and schools will have reduced funding which nobody wants.

What assurances are they looking for I wonder?

I mean unless they plan on being wrapped in a hazmat bubble and even then there really are no guarantees.

If they are that worried then perhaps they should consider a career change. If proper guidelines are there and unions agree then I don't see what other choice someone in that position would have.

The risk from the virus is minimal now and we'll probably be in an even better position by September.

He probably shouldn't be talking shop outside of school like that, especially so when it concerns health matters.

Myself and another staff member went through our staff last week and expect two or three of them to potentially have issues in September with underlying issues within their own families that could throw up issues with returning. All pie in the sky at the moment but could possibly means they aren't allowed back into the school building depending on how the dept approaches staff wellbeing and their duty of care.

Your right, but these teachers in praticular seem to be vocal about not feeling safe about returning to work. The brother sent be on screenshots of Facebook posts...the posts suggest it Leo's fault that they don't feel safe...the 5 bottles of wine they drank last week has nothing to do with it... actually picture on Facebook captioned "can't believe I only drank these 5 last week"

I just hope that this pandemic and knock on effects will actively progress constructive conversation and initiatives to properly education people about healthy life choices & balance

Was talking to a friend who works in a college, some of them are already back to work on site in some capacity.

With current 2m guidelines they reckon less than 50% of students will allowed to attend on any given day (probably much less).

All overtime, bonuses and allowances have been frozen (similar is being done in many jobs including Gardai).

There's a lot of uncertainty around jobs and looking like temps/contract staff are likely to be let go and anyone who has permanent contracts will be picking up the slack.

Probably see this kind of thing across a lot of sectors as things start to open back up again. It will have a huge knock on effect for ancillary staff too, less students means a lot of people are going to be surplus to requirements.

For some businesses its not going to be viable to open back up at 40%-50% capacity and even if they do manage to stay in business the job losses are going to be huge.

We have over 1 million people who have either had PUP or wage subsidy scheme (not including usual jobseekers payments) how much longer can this massive debt be allowed to mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/our-wellbeing-is-important-too-6th-class-boy-asks-taoiseach-to-allow-school-to-reopen-for-last-funday-1001753.html

I think this lad is right , its not a big ask and would make a lot of young people very happy if it could be done .

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

If they had to drop down to €350 a week I’m sure we could find some sort of compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭AngeloArgue

With current 2m guidelines they reckon less than 50% of students will allowed to attend on any given day (probably much less).

I'd say if social distancing is still in place in September then the most students that would fit in typical classrooms would be 6-9. Given that classes are usually 3 to 4 times this then something has to give.

Either dispense with social distancing among students or hire more teachers and open up more classrooms.

Jim Root wrote: »
    If they had to drop down to €350 a week I’m sure we could find some sort of compromise.

More like €203 in a couple of weeks :)

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/our-wellbeing-is-important-too-6th-class-boy-asks-taoiseach-to-allow-school-to-reopen-for-last-funday-1001753.html

I think this lad is right , its not a big ask and would make a lot of young people very happy if it could be done .

Knowing Ireland, 'IF' this was allowed it would the one day in June it would rain and then where us teachers be with a class full of kids?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement