Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Orchids wrote: »
    Y'know we're all just trying to figure this out, so lose the sarcasm, it's the lowest form of wit

Well I thought i would join the rest of ye:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Every other business is also dealing with the same pandemic and is working towards solutions. The education sector isn't alone in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

addaword wrote: »
    Agreed. But then again is it surprising, when teachers get paid the same if schools are open or not?

As are all workers who work from home

jrosen wrote: »
    Every other business is also dealing with the same pandemic and is working towards solutions. The education sector isn't alone in that.

Correct go give them the same crap that goes on here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Do you not think this requires thinking outside the box? No 2 schools are the same so how can one set of instructions be followed by all schools? That is my point?
    Do you not think as a teacher in your school you know your students best? that you know what would and wouldn't work within your classroom and your school? Surely now is the time for joined up thinking?

It's not even that no 2 schools are the same but teachers in the same school are not working the same way.

My son is in 5th year and he only subject he has an online zoom class for is DCG.
    Most of the teachers struggled initially with setting work on Google classroom.
    But the worst of them all is his maths teacher who in the weeks that he has been at home has set him 3 pieces of work and basically does not answer any queries the students have (it seems to me she just does not give a ****e). I have raised it with the school but nothing as of yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Tippex wrote: »
    It's not even that no 2 schools are the same but teachers in the same school are not working the same way.

My son is in 5th year and he only subject he has an online zoom class for is DCG.
    But the worst of them all is his maths teacher who in the weeks that he has been at home has set him 3 pieces of work and basically does not answer any queries the students have (it seems to me she just does not give a ****e). I have raised it with the school but nothing as of yet.

She could be lazy. She could be useless. She could be in hospital. She could have no/limited internet access. She cpuld be struggling to mind children athime and be priorising leaving certs. Does she or a family member have Covid? Has your son contacted her directly (through email/teams etc). If so absolutely raise issue with school.

Zoom is not the be all and end all of education. I don't use it but put up daily posts on Teams for my classes.

Teacher effort/access can be an issue but similarly student effort/access is an issue. Average student engagement at the moment is less than 10% for my leaving certs (2 students have legitimate reasons). Average student engagement for my first years is 80%

Have you a direct email for the teacher?

She could be lazy. She could be useless. She could be in hospital. She could have no/limited internet access. She cpuld be struggling to mind children athime and be priorising leaving certs. Does she or a family member have Covid? Has your son contacted her directly (through email/teams etc). If so absolutely raise issue with school.

Zoom is not the be all and end all of education. I don't use it but put up daily posts on Teams for my classes.

Teacher effort/access can be an issue but similarly student effort/access is an issue. Average student engagement at the moment is less than 10% for my leaving certs (2 students have legitimate reasons). Average student engagement for my first years is 80%

I genuinely think it is a combination of the first two.
    We have no idea of her specific situation and would not expect to but would expect some level of proactiveness from the school.
    Other teachers are brilliant but she is literally doing bare minimum as far as we can tell (not even correcting work or giving feedback).
    With this specific teacher there has been issues with other students in the class (earliler on in the school year) where my son has said she has flately refused to answer questions when students have been struggling and effectively she has sat in the class reading or on her phone and refused to teach there is a total of 8 students in her pass maths class.

Have you a direct email for the teacher?

No I have addressed it with the school directly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

I genuinely think it is a combination of the first two.
    We have no idea of her specific situation and would not expect to but would expect some level of proactiveness from the school.
    Other teachers are brilliant but she is literally doing bare minimum as far as we can tell (not even correcting work or giving feedback).
    With this specific teacher there has been issues with other students in the class (earliler on in the school year) where my son has said she has flately refused to answer questions when students have been struggling and effectively she has sat in the class reading or on her phone and refused to teach there is a total of 8 students in her pass maths class.

And she will never face any disciplinary action........ever...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

What I would like is some transparency on how this is going to impact my children and their education going forward. I would like to know what we are facing into come September. I dont think thats a lot to ask to be honest.
    We are being told not to worry about their education? How can a parent not worry when no one has any answers.

We are in an unprecedented global pandemic. Are they supposed to be psychic?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

addaword wrote: »
    Agreed. But then again is it surprising, when teachers get paid the same if schools are open or not?

Mike's previous warning to you:
    mike_ie wrote: »
    Mod: There's having an opinion, and there's taking the piss. This One firmly falls in the latter. Any more posts of this nature from any poster will earn a threadban, as it's clearly trolling.

You are now banned from posting in this thread again

alroley wrote: »
    We are in an unprecedented global pandemic. Are they supposed to be psychic?

Then how do you explain every other business prepping for a return. Are all other industries psychic or are they simply proactive?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Then how do you explain every other business prepping for a return. Are all other industries psychic or are they simply proactive?

You do know that it will be entirely up to the Department as to when schools will re-open and not teachers?

Blaming teachers for the lack of clarity on when schools will reopen (and we're in uncharted historical waters - of course we don't know the long term plan) is like blaming the common soldier in 1940 for there not being a clear plan of victory in the war.

Mental stuff on this thread.

You do know that it will be entirely up to the Department as to when schools will re-open and not teachers?

Blaming teachers for the lack of clarity on when schools will reopen (and we're in uncharted historical waters - of course we don't know the long term plan) is like blaming the common soldier in 1940 for there not being a clear plan of victory in the war.

Mental stuff on this thread.

Nowhere has anyone blamed teachers. I have pointed out that other business and industries are putting plans to be proactive in how they can safely open and operate. I fail to see why the education sector is any different.

By the end of this month secondary schools are closed. Teachers not back until August. So when are these talks, procedures and planning going to happen?

Nowhere has anyone blamed teachers. I have pointed out that other business and industries are putting plans to be proactive in how they can safely open and operate. I fail to see why the education sector is any different.

By the end of this month secondary schools are closed. Teachers not back until August. So when are these talks, procedures and planning going to happen?

Nowhere has anyone "openly" blamed teachers but people are wise enough to spot the veiled or implied slight. You would want to be blind not to see it. You only have to go through the thread as it is flooded with bile. But that does not suit your narrative.

Your question has been answered a few times by various people. I fail to see why you think the education sector is not doing what anyone else are doing. Even Leo said last week on The Late Late Show that you watched and mentioned on the thread, that they were looking to other countries and Denmark was one of the countries he mentioned in regards to reopening schools. We know the schools all going well are opening in September? Is your taoiseach commenting about the reopening of schools on a national tv show and issuing a roadmap not enough? You are correct the education sector is no different as they are making a plan. I see members of the Dept working 16 hours a day on it and they have been since this unprecedented event ocurred.

khalessi wrote: »
    Nowhere has anyone "openly" blamed teachers but people are wise enough to spot the veiled or implied slight. You would want to be blind not to see it. You only have to go through the thread as it is flooded with bile. But that does not suit your narrative.

Your question has been answered a few times by various people. I fail to see why you think the education sector is not doing what anyone else are doing. Even Leo said last week on The Late Late Show that you watched and mentioned on the thread, that they were looking to other countries and Denmark was one of the countries he mentioned in regards to reopening schools. We know the schools all going well are opening in September? Is your taoiseach commenting about the reopening of schools on a national tv show and issuing a roadmap not enough? You are correct the education sector is no different as they are making a plan. I see members of the Dept working 16 hours a day on it and they have been since this unprecedented event ocurred.

I haven't implied anything. So direct your comments elsewhere.
    I have asked whats being planned and the answers were nothing formal, not my job, we get told what do to.

If you see members of the dept working 16 hour days thats great to hear. Not the 16 hours but that there is planning.

I also pointed out the teachers and principals are the ones who know their school and students best so their feedback and opinion is crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Nowhere has anyone blamed teachers.

Have you been reading the thread with your eyes closed? Maybe check the posts of the single person who thanked your comment for starters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Walnut Salad

I am not sure where to ask this question but here goes. My daughter is in 6th class and has only received 2 communications from her teacher since the schools closed. Both communications laid out enough homework to last 4-5 days each. I am trying to fill the rest of her week by giving her other work to do. The homework is never checked in any way. I guess my question is whether that level of interaction is acceptable? Should I ask for more homework?

I am not sure where to ask this question but here goes. My daughter is in 6th class and has only received 2 communications from her teacher since the schools closed. Both communications laid out enough homework to last 4-5 days each. I am trying to fill the rest of her week by giving her other work to do. The homework is never checked in any way. I guess my question is whether that level of interaction is acceptable? Should I ask for more homework?

I would get in touch with the school on the school email or the teacher via the email address that the homework came on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Do people think schools will return in a phased basis or all at once?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

Do people think schools will return in a phased basis or all at once?

It will be phased. The roadmap only goes to August 10th, but it mentions a phased reopening after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭scooby77

Principal medium size primary school here. At the moment we are planning safe access for staff to the building from May 18th for "Opening of school and college buildings for access by teachers for organisation and distribution of remote learning" (from Gov Roadmap) There is more to this than might be appreciated.
    We are already considering ideas for September, however we are are awaiting guidelines on such issues as PPE, maximum pupils in a room, assembly and dismissal times etc
    We are planning, but can't take any concrete steps as doing so before guidelines would be futile.
    In the meantime I am certain all of my colleagues, and most parents, are working hard to continue the children's education. However I appreciate that many parents in our community, and many teachers and parents in other schools, are struggling for many different reasons.
    These are difficult times, and we should all try to be as supportive as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

scooby77 wrote: »
    Principal medium size primary school here. At the moment we are planning safe access for staff to the building from May 18th for "Opening of school and college buildings for access by teachers for organisation and distribution of remote learning" (from Gov Roadmap) There is more to this than might be appreciated.
    We are already considering ideas for September, however we are are awaiting guidelines on such issues as PPE, maximum pupils in a room, assembly and dismissal times etc
    We are planning, but can't take any concrete steps as doing so before guidelines would be futile.
    In the meantime I am certain all of my colleagues, and most parents, are working hard to continue the children's education. However I appreciate that many parents in our community, and many teachers and parents in other schools, are struggling for many different reasons.
    These are difficult times, and we should all try to be as supportive as possible.

Jesus Christ Scooby77 the Principal, this is boards, not a press release. Give it a rest ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just spoke to a UK based acquaintance. The universities there are planning for not being able to deliver classes in person until 2021.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Walnut Salad

khalessi wrote: »
    I would get in touch with the school on the school email or the teacher via the email address that the homework came on.

I am guessing you think it's insufficient. Before I contact the school and cause any trouble, what kind of homework support should I expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

fits wrote: »
    Just spoke to a UK based acquaintance. The universities there are planning for not being able to deliver classes in person until 2021.

I would suspect our 3rd level might be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

I am guessing you think it's insufficient. Before I contact the school and cause any trouble, what kind of homework support should I expect?

I have a child in 6th class also and in two younger classes.

Up until recently I was receiving a weekly homework email.
    One teacher was proactive very early with seesaw and zoom. A learning curve indeed as it’s a younger class.

As of yesterday I have been contacting the teachers for a plan for the next 8 weeks in terms of zoom tutorials etc.
    I have expressed that a weekly email is not sufficient learning as children will lose motivation if there is no engagement.
    If they are not motivated or accountable for their coursework then they will not engage with homeschooling.

First zoom class was scheduled this morning! 30mins but I was delighted.

Children need engagement

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Shybride2016

Hi there,

My eldest is in 6th class also. Since the return after Easter break we have been receiving an email first thing Monday morning outlining the work for the week and then each day a daily plan with extra bits if they want to do them.
    We can submit the work to the teacher and they can give feedback.

We’ve had one Zoom assembly last Friday at which parents were asked to be present. Halfway through the principal had to remind some of the kids that everyone could see what they were typing in the chat box and she would have to remove them from the call if they continued!

When you say you’re trying to fill your daughter’s week, despite the 4-5 days worth of work in the weekly email, it sounds like you feel they’re not being given enough to do. Is your daughter doing bits each day or all in one go? Either way, if you feel the school aren’t doing enough, contact them directly.

For the three weeks up to Easter holidays my daughter’s school weren’t in communication every day, they sent weekly emails along the lines of “next page in workbook”, spellings, tables etc.

Given that they weren’t given any notice to close or prep for long-term online learning I feel it’s ok for schools not to have had a Perfect system in place from day 1 but by now, all things considered (access to technology etc) they probably should have a better grasp of what system to use and work with. Hope this helps and I hope your daughter is ok and not too upset at missing all the usual end of 6th class events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭scooby77

Jesus Christ Scooby77 the Principal, this is boards, not a press release. Give it a rest ffs.

My post was in response to criticism that schools aren't planning for September. Most are planning for May 18th and discussing September.
    My previous posts clearly indicate that I was in favour of opening in May or June, and suggested ways in which it might be possible.
    As regards knowing that "this is boards" I'm well aware that Boards is a forum for balanced discussion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement