Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Scruff101 wrote: »
    I think you'll find you're an exception to the majority when it comes to primary teachers being available five days a week for the full school hours and beyond. It's just not happening, you can convince yourself otherwise but it's not in most cases.

Correct. More than a few primary school pupils are doing little or nothing in terms of school work these days, for whatever reason. Lack of broadband, no device or laptop, lack of motivation, little or no communication from teacher etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

khalessi wrote: »
    I think you will find he is in the majority of primary teachers, who are working. I do find when I speak to friends who are parents that when they send the work back, they get a response. A lot of parents complain that work is sent out but are not sending it back for correctiong.

I am receiveing gmail docs, word docs, pdfs, photos of work and all is being corrected. Teachers are working, parents are complaining because due to unprecedented circumstances, they are now homeschooling and they are realising not all children are easy to motivate to learn. If there is an issue use the email address the work is coming from to contact the teacher.

Well this isn't happening in our school and not in several schools I know of. Suggested work is being put up and that's it. No offer to send work back.

Plus I'm actually not talking about having work corrected I'm more than capable of doing that myself and thankfully our kids love doing their school work, corrections certainly aren't a priority here.

I'm talking about direct contact between teacher and students via zoom or whatever other platform which might be feasible, similar to what secondary schools are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Scruff101 wrote: »
    I think you'll find you're an exception to the majority when it comes to primary teachers being available five days a week for the full school hours and beyond. It's just not happening, you can convince yourself otherwise but it's not in most cases.

Apparently distance learning isn't suitable for primary children I've heard that directly from friends who are primary teachers and primary principals. As a parent I think my children would enjoy and benefit from some interaction even a couple of hours a week in small groups to allow interaction with both teacher and peers.

I would 100% agree it isn't really suitable for primary school children but needs must under the current circumstances. Better than nothing. I try the best for my kids but not saying that it's all great. Big learning curve and I try something different or add a little extra each week.

Due to feedback from parents I've actually scaled back this week as it was causing stress at home and I don't want be causing that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

I can only go by what our own Primary School are doing. I am a Parent not a Teacher.

We get work for the week on Sunday via Email, broken down daily, plus a Menu of other work if the child has finished all the allocated work. We do it and send back by email. The Teacher corrects it and writes a personal email back. I tend to send the work twice a week.

Then our daughter watches both TG4 and RTE versions of Homeschool and with some exercise time, reading, piano practice and playtime or Art etc the day is gone.

I find both the Primary school and Secondary school our kids attend being both very communicative and responsive since the 18th March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

So let me see if I have got this correct

Scruff 101 is being sent suggested work, correcting herself and not sending back work so no response.

whereas SusanC10 is also getting work, sending it back, it is corrected and returned with a personal email.

There is something just can't put my finger on it, wonder why one person getting personl email the other isn't. Crikey it is a tough one

but anyhow might i direct you to the teacher bashing thread as this one is going off topic

• Advertisement

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I can only go by what our own Primary School are doing. I am a Parent not a Teacher.

We get work for the week on Sunday via Email, broken down daily, plus a Menu of other work if the child has finished all the allocated work. We do it and send back by email. The Teacher corrects it and writes a personal email back. I tend to send the work twice a week.

Then our daughter watches both TG4 and RTE versions of Homeschool and with some exercise time, reading, piano practice and playtime or Art etc the day is gone.

I find both the Primary school and Secondary school our kids attend being both very communicative and responsive since the 18th March.

Ah yes the school are providing work not a daily breakdown just a suggested list on a Sunday.
    No option to return work but that's not important to me whatsoever.
    At this point some form of interaction between teacher and kids is what I'd love to see.
    I have no doubt some teachers are putting in great effort but equally so some are not.

Sooner the primary teachers go back to work in school the better, even if it is just on a phased basis with 6th class pupils in small groups socially distanced. Email is not working for many.

So let me see if I have got this correct

Scruff 101 is being sent suggested work, correcting herself and not sending back work so no response.

whereas SusanC10 is also getting work, sending it back, it is corrected and returned with a personal email.

There is something just can't put my finger on it, wonder why one person getting personl email the other isn't. Crikey it is a tough one

but anyhow might i direct you to the teacher bashing thread as this one is going off topic

There's no option to return work plus as I said before that's not what I'm highlighting here. Returning work is irrelevant to me.

I also said before that some teachers are clearly putting in the effort but others aren't unfortunately. If you find that hard to accept it's not my problem.

Also to echo my main point I think some form of interaction between teachers and pupils is needed at this point similar to that used in secondary schools. If making suggestions is teacher bashing fair enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

With regards primary school students I think people need to relax a little. They have plenty time to catch up on time lost. I have a primary school student at the early stages and I am glad to enjoy the time and be out and about rather than arguing over homework. The main focus should be on leaving cert students.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30287-5/fulltext#%20

Ok this could pose a problem. Study from China

The researchers, who worked with Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, studied 391 people who caught COVID-19 in Shenzhen between January 14 and February 12.

The study showed that "children were as likely to be infected as adults (infection rate 7·4% in children <10 years vs population average of 6·6%). The observed reproductive number (R) was 0·4 (95% CI 0·3–0·5), with a mean serial interval of 6·3 days (95% CI 5·2–7·6).
    Interpretation
    Our data on cases as well as their infected and uninfected close contacts provide key insights into the epidemiology of SARS-CoV-2. This analysis shows that isolation and contact tracing reduce the time during which cases are infectious in the community, thereby reducing the R. The overall impact of isolation and contact tracing, however, is uncertain and highly dependent on the number of asymptomatic cases. Moreover, children are at a similar risk of infection to the general population, although less likely to have severe symptoms; hence they should be considered in analyses of transmission and control.

This meant that children were as likely as adults to both catch the virus and to spread it. So it is like playing Chess with a virus, every time 2 steps forward we get knocked one step back.

• Advertisement

This concerns me as a parent as my kids just want to see their cousins, but 1 has only 3/4 of one lung and the other has Cystic Fibrosis, so it looks like it will be a long while before they can be together. We are a close family and have always practised cough etiquette and handwashing due to CF. Apart from the school issue this means it will be a long time before we can be together as a family and that is heartbreaking as we all live close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭combat14

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭milosh

Is there any chance of boarding schools re-opening next year? They would be unworkable surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

From 18 May, 2 hours morning and 2 hours afternoon. Optional. Sign up for morning or afternoon. If teachers want PPE, no problem. Give them gas masks, whatever.

Scoondal wrote: »
    From 18 May, 2 hours morning and 2 hours afternoon. Optional. Sign up for morning or afternoon. If teachers want PPE, no problem. Give them gas masks, whatever.

What frrom the 18th May

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

What frrom the 18th May

There is no schools bar the Leaving cert until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

If we end up having to step back in our progression through the phases if the numbers of cases rises too much, do we then assume that the September re-opening of schools which is part of Phase 5 will also be pushed back?

Yes I presume so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

morebabies wrote: »
    If we end up having to step back in our progression through the phases if the numbers of cases rises too much, do we then assume that the September re-opening of schools which is part of Phase 5 will also be pushed back?

You would have to imagine so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

There is no schools bar the Leaving cert until September.

I even have doubts if that will happen.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭Dickie10

im a secondary teacher, i use email not zoom as some kids are minding siblings and have to work not at exact time of classes , it would be too hard to get all students sitting down at same time, bad wifi etc. much simpler using email. they get the powerpoints/notes and work set , then email it back by a deadline by picture . i then give them feedback during regular class time. its history so notes and questions work very well ,there also brilliant youtube documentary and short videos on our topics. finally about once a week i make a short video narrating over some comlpex issue in the work we were studying just to explain it. its working very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 pollymv1

X2 on Hibernia. I've worked at Hibernia - they are money grabbers and their grads are frowned upon in schools. Having studied at DCU, the two don't compare.

Students suffer because staff are unsupported. The fees are extortionate, this is not a real educational facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

Calls for pubs to re open 6 weeks earlier than planned but no calls for schools to reopen, says a lot about this country......

Calls for pubs to re open 6 weeks earlier than planned but no calls for schools to reopen, says a lot about this country......

Orchids wrote: »

That is because teachers get paid the same if they are "taking things easy"/ not working as if they are working.
    Publicans do not get paid if they are not selling drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yes in that private business can’t lay around and die for much longer.
    Schools education is a separate sector and up to it to come with its own ideas

road_high wrote: »
    Yes in that private business can’t lay around and die for much longer.
    Schools education is a separate sector and up to it to come with its own ideas

Totally agree, what saddens me is that the schools sector doesnt seem to have the will to even try to reopen, other countries seem to have it very high up their list. I'm not teacher bashing & I dont want to hear the "go retrain as a teacher so" chant, I just dont understand why it doesnt seem as important here as it does elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Totally agree, what saddens me is that the schools sector doesnt seem to have the will to even try to reopen, other countries seem to have it very high up their list. I'm not teacher bashing & I dont want to hear the "go retrain as a teacher so" chant, I just dont understand why it doesnt seem as important here as it does elsewhere.

Absolutely agree , the medical sector and retail sectors have bent over backwards and come completely out of their comfort zone . I was expecting the same form all sectors .In fairness most are doing their utmost to accommodate and adjust

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Has any teacher had contact with their principal about reopening? Im curious if there is talks going on behind the scenes that at the moment the general public are not aware of.
    I said before my concern is we get to September and there is no plan in place and its basically schools winging it on a week to week basis.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Sounds to me like someone is trying to avoid admitting there are too many kids in classrooms at any one time. What's the answer to that? It's not about retraining as a teacher, you need to look at capacity management.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement