Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

I teach in a large boys school and we'll have to open up again however way we can. But it breaks my heart to think of social distancing little boys they are naturally so physical and tactile.

We live on a cul-de-sac, and heading out on our walk last night there were two boys (7 & 8 year olds), playing but staying about 3 meters away from each other at all times. It looked so strange.

We bumped into a family the girls go to school in, and they decided to play a new game - pine cone tag - so they would chase after each other and throw a pine cone and if it hit them, they were it !

I know its the new world we live in, but I do despair a bit when I think of the way we played as kids... very strange times ahead for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Absolutely - classes have to move on. There may make slower progress through the year, and take 18 months to fully catch-up, but this years 2nd class have to move into 3rd etc. Same applies for all classes - would be madness to consider anything else.

Especially considering we were well through the year as it was.

At 2nd level they'll have lost 8 weeks, last week would have been exams, so 7 really.

Hopefully the loss of those 7/8 weeks have been partially offset by continued support of students online.

In most cases, what progress has been lost can be made up. Jamming up the system with further delays won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Orchids

Especially considering we were well through the year as it was.

At 2nd level they'll have lost 8 weeks, last week would have been exams, so 7 really.

Hopefully the loss of those 7/8 weeks have been partially offset by continued support of students online.

In most cases, what progress has been lost can be made up. Jamming up the system with further delays won't help.

2nd level yes, but my concern is 6th classes moving straight to secondary without completing the last 3 months of their primary school which includes preparation for moving on, not only will they not return but they won't be prepared for secondary which is a huge jump for them. I'm not suggesting they repeat the whole year but there should be contingency plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

Orchids wrote: »
    2nd level yes, but my concern is 6th classes moving straight to secondary without completing the last 3 months of their primary school which includes preparation for moving on, not only will they not return but they won't be prepared for secondary which is a huge jump for them. I'm not suggesting they repeat the whole year but there should be contingency plan.

Well seeing as primary school teachers are on paid holidays now, perhaps they could either
    (a) teach the kids in August, if things are more back to normal then, and because schools would be empty they could have say 6 kids in each classroom.
    (b) only 6th class go to school in May / June, and say 6 kids in each classroom, with 1 teacher in each room.

Teachers need to step up to the plate more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

addaword wrote: »
    Well seeing as primary school teachers are on paid holidays now, perhaps they could either
    (a) teach the kids in August, if things are more back to normal then, and because schools would be empty they could have say 6 kids in each classroom.
    (b) only 6th class go to school in May / June, and say 6 kids in each classroom, with 1 teacher in each room.

Are you trying to wind teachers up? Paid holidays :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know it doesnt suit your narrative but we are working. I just took a break from planning and see that sh*t. Ive have been online with children from 8am untilm 5pm got dinner did a grind over the phone from 7-8, did online schoolwork for my own kids till 10 and am now correcting and planning. You are pathetic.

• Advertisement

Expecting a few bites on that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Check with my class and their parents and see do they think I'm on paid holidays???????

Such a trollish comment trying to get a few likes and maybe a few bites from people.

#musttryharder

Expecting a few bites on that one?

If you cared about your 6th class being prepared for secondary school / missing these 3 months, you could either (as said already)

If you cared about your 6th class being prepared for secondary school / missing these 3 months, you could either (as said already)

I don't teach 6th class.

I don't teach 6th class.

Orchids said his / her c"oncern is 6th classes moving straight to secondary without completing the last 3 months of their primary school which includes preparation for moving on, not only will they not return but they won't be prepared for secondary which is a huge jump for them."

The point remains, should not primary school teachers not do something to help said 6th classes?

• Advertisement

Orchids said his / her c"oncern is 6th classes moving straight to secondary without completing the last 3 months of their primary school which includes preparation for moving on, not only will they not return but they won't be prepared for secondary which is a huge jump for them."

The point remains, should not primary school teachers not do something to help said 6th classes?

And your response is that they are on paid holidays
    which they are not and you are taking conversation off course

Why just 6th? Are the other classes not worthy enough for our expertise?

Trust me alot of 6th class kids switch off and are 'done' with primary by this stage anyway.

Why just 6th? .

To prepare them for secondary schoool, as Orchid said.

If as you say a " lot of 6th class kids switch off and are 'done' with primary by this stage ", what do you expect when primary teachers have mostly being sunning themselves this past month?

Anyway.....

Back to the bar by the pool for me. This money isn't gonna spend itself.

If as you say a " lot of 6th class kids switch off and are 'done' with primary by this stage ", what do you expect when primary teachers have mostly being sunning themselves this past month?

Just to let you, youve been reported for trolling

As I already said go ask my class and their parents have I been topping up my tan and they will tell you of course teacher has been because they know me and know full well that I've been getting out in the sun after we finish our school day. While you are having that chat also ask them about all the work we have been doing and see are they happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

I've a child in 6th class and he ll be absolutely fine going straight into secondary. In fact he's an introvert and more relaxed getting a bit of a break in. I feel very sorry for kids who do mind missing the end of primary activities and are suffering missing their friends . But for many of them it isn't a big deal so let's not make it so.

On the other hand I'm despairing tonight about the news that cocooning is, being advised "til there's a vaccine". I don't know what else I was expecting but heart broken for my parents . We re going have to find livable solutions for them

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

what do you expect when primary teachers have mostly being sunning themselves this past month?

Mod: There's having an opinion, and there's taking the piss. This One firmly falls in the latter. Any more posts of this nature from any poster will earn a threadban, as it's clearly trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

What would the advice be to a family with children who have members that have underlying health issues, facing a possible return to school in September?

- homeschooling?
    - special arrangements for the children to continue online schooling...? But would that be too much hassle to arrange for a minority of kids?

Also, just as an aside, my eldest is in a boys' secondary school of about 500 lads, and right before the shutdown, they had been given a talk on the coronavirus and hygiene, following which the lads were all coughing on each other in the corridors, jumping on each other, thinking the whole thing was hilarious. So it's not just junior infants that wouldn't be able to engage with any social distancing rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

If schools do return with smaller class groups, a certain number in per day, I would welcome the classes being streamed so that the days when kids are home they have some sort of interaction. I'm talking about primary school here.

Even now I think it would be great if kids could be put into small groups and maybe have a zoom session with their teacher a couple of times a week - I get zooming 30 kids isn't ideal but 6/8 would work. Our kids are continuing some of their extra curricular activities on zoom and it's working really well.

I know some teachers are apparently doing great work already but those teachers also should understand that alot are not. Our child's teacher uploads a work list on Sunday night and that's all for the week. I know for a fact this is similar in several other primary schools. It doesn't take 5 days to formulate a work list which is basically a continuation of the previous weeks worklist so essentially they're just changing a few page numbers, etc.

A bit of interaction with the kids at this stage would be no harm and well done to any primary teachers who are doing so.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately not all children will be fine making the transition to secondary school without completing 6th class. To answer the person who asked "why only 6th classes" they're the only classes that won't ever be back in the school they've been in for 8 years with familiar teachers & friends

I've a child in 6th class and he ll be absolutely fine going straight into secondary. In fact he's an introvert and more relaxed getting a bit of a break in. I feel very sorry for kids who do mind missing the end of primary activities and are suffering missing their friends . But for many of them it isn't a big deal so let's not make it so.

On the other hand I'm despairing tonight about the news that cocooning is, being advised "til there's a vaccine". I don't know what else I was expecting but heart broken for my parents . We re going have to find livable solutions for them

And I have a child who may not be absolutely fine making the transition to secondary school

Scruff101 wrote: »

I know some teachers are apparently doing great work already but those teachers also should understand that alot are not. Our child's teacher uploads a work list on Sunday night and that's all for the week. I know for a fact this is similar in several other primary schools. It doesn't take 5 days to formulate a work list which is basically a continuation of the previous weeks worklist so essentially they're just changing a few page numbers, etc.

A bit of interaction with the kids at this stage would be no harm and well done to any primary teachers who are doing so.

Correct,.and there are some primary kids who have not heard from a teacher in over a month.

They should bring in 6th class and distance them over several classrooms and several teachers.. Least they could do.

In Switzerland now kids under 10 are allowed hug their grandparents as they say kids under 10 are not speaders.

Correct,.and there are some primary kids who have not heard from a teacher in over a month.

They should bring in 6th class and distance them over several classrooms and several teachers.. Least they could do.

In Switzerland now kids under 10 are allowed hug their grandparents as they say kids under 10 are not speaders.

Why not JI? JI and SI are the most important years if you ask me as it sets them up for the future years.

Per chance do you have a 6th class kid at home who is wrecking your head and you just want them minded for you?

The public health advisors will decide what is suitable and and when it is.

The public health advisors will decide what is suitable and and when it is.

And in the meantime, as someone said on the radio yesterday, all public servants who are out of work and at home doing nothing should be entitled to the 350 a week covid payment.

And in the meantime, as someone said on the radio yesterday, all public servants who are out of work and at home doing nothing should be entitled to the 350 a week covid payment.

I'll say again. Go ask my children and their parents if they think I'm 'out of work'? I've been logged in since 7:10am this morning. Our school would normally open to kids at 8:50am. I'm available to all my children and parents on email after the school day finishes until 8pm as I know that some parents are essential workers who can't work from home and can't be there for their children during the standard school day.

As I said, teachers should work in August or else take 6th class in small groups in school now, socially distant etc

As I said, teachers should work in August or else take 6th class in small groups in school now, socially distant etc

I'm already working now and will continue to do so until the end of June when my school officially closes. My class aren't missing out on actual learning. What they are missing out on is social interaction but nothing we can do about that in the immediate future until things are better. Coming into school in small groups doesn't fix the social interaction bit as without doubt they wouldn't be in the same group as all their friends. You can be sure you would have some parents complaining about the composition of groups as they would be hearing the giving out at home.

I'll be back to physical school whenever the actual experts deem it is a safe thing to do and not because someone on the internet wanted me to satisfy them and mind their kid for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Scruff101

I'm already working now and will continue to do so until the end of June when my school officially closes. My class aren't missing out on actual learning. What they are missing out on is social interaction but nothing we can do about that in the immediate future until things are better. Coming into school in small groups doesn't fix the social interaction bit as without doubt they wouldn't be in the same group as all their friends. You can be sure you would have some parents complaining about the composition of groups as they would be hearing the giving out at home.

I'll be back to physical school whenever the actual experts deem it is a safe thing to do and not because someone on the internet wanted me to satisfy them and mind their kid for them.

I think you'll find you're an exception to the majority when it comes to primary teachers being available five days a week for the full school hours and beyond. It's just not happening, you can convince yourself otherwise but it's not in most cases.

Apparently distance learning isn't suitable for primary children I've heard that directly from friends who are primary teachers and primary principals. As a parent I think my children would enjoy and benefit from some interaction even a couple of hours a week in small groups to allow interaction with both teacher and peers.

• Advertisement

Scruff101 wrote: »
    I think you'll find you're an exception to the majority when it comes to primary teachers being available five days a week for the full school hours and beyond. It's just not happening, you can convince yourself otherwise but it's not in most cases.

Apparently distance learning isn't suitable for primary children I've heard that directly from friends who are primary teachers and primary principals. As a parent I think my children would enjoy and benefit from some interaction even a couple of hours a week in small groups to allow interaction with both teacher and peers.

I think you will find he is in the majority of primary teachers, who are working. I do find when I speak to friends who are parents that when they send the work back, they get a response. A lot of parents complain that work is sent out but are not sending it back for correctiong.

I am receiveing gmail docs, word docs, pdfs, photos of work and all is being corrected. Teachers are working, parents are complaining because due to unprecedented circumstances, they are now homeschooling and they are realising not all children are easy to motivate to learn. If there is an issue use the email address the work is coming from to contact the teacher.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement