Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Yes and who covers this 48 hours - SET - two days taken from those children who need it the most when 1 teacher is absent. This doesn’t a/c for any other illness with longer absences.

So leave the schools closed for 4 years then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Presume if there is a case in a 2nd level school, the school would have to shut. They're all going to mix with options etc.

Primary level it might be easier to keep them apart as each group doesn't share numerous teachers or rooms

?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

And get tested and get the all clear within 48 hours if not covid

Have you read the document? We aren't allowed in if we have a sniffle. Nothing to do with Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

seamus wrote: »
    It really seems like our principals have been doing nothing to prepare.

I know 3 principals and all of them have been working on plans since well before the summer break. Ranging from trying to source sanitiser before every school in the country is looking for it, ordering ppe just in case it's required, to planning a partial return and trying to ensure that they can work with the sister school to ensure that siblings would be all in/out on the same days. Now ppe is not required and a full return is the plan so those plans were a waste of time. These principals have run themselves ragged over the past few months.

Presume if there is a case in a 2nd level school, the school would have to shut. They're all going to mix with options etc.

Primary level it might be easier to keep them apart as each group doesn't share numerous teachers or rooms

?

There should be no need to close a full school due to a single case. Just isolate their contacts

• Advertisement

Have you read the document? We aren't allowed in if we have a sniffle. Nothing to do with Covid.

If it’s just a sniffle it will be gone in 48 hours. If it’s more that that shouldn’t be in school anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Christ almighty - that’s exactly what I am advocating :rolleyes: Since when is the choice an either or - full return or close schools for 4 years .

Can you show where anyone is advocating the schools to close for 4 years. Pure emotive nonsense. Posters can point out flaws in plans without that equating to keeping the schools closed for 4 years

Christ almighty - that’s exactly what I am advocating :rolleyes: Since when is the choice an either or - full return or close schools for 4 years .

Can you show where anyone is advocating the schools to close for 4 years. Pure emotive nonsense. Posters can point out flaws in plans without that equating to keeping the schools closed for 4 years

We won’t find all the risk mitigation strategies until we go back. It’s a leap, but it has to be taken

There should be no need to close a full school due to a single case. Just isolate their contacts

The contacts at 2nd level aren't manageable.

Johnny in first year shares a room with 23 classmates, he has 30 different classmates across his options, he shares a room with 8 different teachers each day and 15 in total during the week, those teachers then teach their classes (meeting on average 150 students each week themselves), he walks the corridors between each class, eats in the canteen, shares toilet facilties and arrives on a bus with 55 other students from his locality each morning.

Trace that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

In a sense of isolation it’s not a second wave. Plus they f’d up suppression.And the WHO don’t agree, and they know more than a 6 year old

Yeah WHO got everything right ahead of time.
    • human to human transmission
    • airborne transmission
    • DEFINITION of a pandemic

And how did they fvck up suppression?
    Oh yeah, you are right.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1278676127687598081?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

Which would be virtually everyone in a secondary school as they change teachers and classmates every 40 minutes to an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's winter there will be sniffles, it will close schools down, the creches have had to recognize there's allergies and sniffles and not exclude kids because of them, schools will have to do the same or they may just call a halt to it now as there only messing.

?

Easier to keep apart in school but with up to 32 in a class no SD in class possible. Then for those children on school transport no way to keep separate from other classes due to space constraints. Also guidelines at primary indicate SET will be in and out of classes supervising for absent class teachers. As far as I can tell from reading the guidelines the gov’s response seems to be based on tbe theory that children don’t transmit the disease to any great extent and that air bourne transmission is not a cause for concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

If it’s just a sniffle it will be gone in 48 hours. If it’s more that that shouldn’t be in school anyway

This actually reminds me of my school days.

Some people just don't get it.

IGNORE LIST

Easier to keep apart in school but with up to 32 in a class no SD in class possible. Then for those children on school transport no way to keep separate from other classes due to space constraints. Also guidelines at primary indicate SET will be in and out of classes supervising for absent class teachers. As far as I can tell from reading the guidelines the gov’s response seems to be based on tbe theory that children don’t transmit the disease to any great extent and that air bourne transmission is not a cause for concern.

Forgot buses and 30+ in alot of classes. Tnx

We won’t find all the risk mitigation strategies until we go back. It’s a leap, but it has to be taken

I agree to an extent I just wish we didn’t take such a big leap. Look if it all goes well then I’ll be the first to hold my hand up. I really don’t want to go back to closed schools. I’d prefer a more gradual opening with the intent to steadily increase attendance pretty much like our lock down reopening. Either way I will never agree to SET being used to cover absences. That’s a disgrace.

Yeah WHO got everything right ahead of time.
    • human to human transmission
    • airborne transmission
    • DEFINITION of a pandemic

And how did they fvck up suppression?
    Oh yeah, you are right.

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1278676127687598081?s=20

Human transmission was known prior to the who being involved. Airborne transmission has been acknowledged but also acknowledged as only being a small factor in transmissions. If it was only airborne, based on what we know, this would be far less serious as it would be far less infectious

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Is it possible that if one kid gets covid in school, the school gets closer down and anyone in that class or has had close contact with that kid will all have to be taken to quarantine, and all definitely vaccinated!

Which would be virtually everyone in a secondary school as they change teachers and classmates every 40 minutes to an hour.

A contact is 15 minutes at 2 meters. As long as sanitation is good why would it be different for secondary school kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

The contacts at 2nd level aren't manageable.

Johnny in first year shares a room with 23 classmates, he has 30 different classmates across his options, he shares a room with 8 different teachers each day and 15 in total during the week, those teachers then teach their classes (meeting on average 150 students each week themselves), he walks the corridors between each class, eats in the canteen and arrive on a bus with 55 other students from his locality each morning.

Trace that

Obviously this has to stop as we don't have the luxury of this anymore. Do the subject in blocks instead of 40 minutes at a time. Don't school administration make timetables for the students anyway once or twice a year? This is not a problem.

Some of the issues being raised here :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

A contact is 15 minutes at 2 meters. As long as sanitation is good why would it be different for secondary school kids?

40 minutes > 15 minutes

Please tell me you don’t still believe that schools with their current class sizes can implement the 2 m distance rule? A full return to school in Ireland has negated ( in many cases a 1 m SD don’t mind say 2m. Also masks are not compulsory nor is temp check.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Point being that teachers would have always went in with and just worked away with sniffles and coughs and colds. I know myself I had something or other from pretty much the end of Sept to Christmas last year. I missed one day as I just couldn't have made it though that Friday. Other teachers are similar. We aren't allowed this year. Could be 4 teachers out the same days and no subs to be got. These are the practicalities of the situation we have been presented with.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

And get tested and get the all clear within 48 hours if not covid

You think in December the turn around time for a test will be 48 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I’m assuming you are being deliberately obtuse at this stage. However for the benefit of all the experts who haven’t read the document I’ll try once again.
    At primary level when a teacher is absent, covid or otherwise,it has become common practice to split the class amongst other classes. With pods and bubbles this is no longer acceptable. The DES have created 180 positions to cover these absences in just over 400 schools. The other 2900 schools will have to make alternative arrangements.
    The DES have instructed schools, when a sub is not available, to use Special Education Teachers to cover these absences. I believe this is ethically and morally wrong.
    Perhaps those advocates for the DES plan for returning to school can explain why this is acceptable.

40 minutes > 15 minutes

Not if they are different classes

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Some of the issues being raised here :confused:

What would be your main concerns for schools returning in the Irish context?

Please tell me you don’t still believe that schools with their current class sizes can implement the 2 m distance rule? A full return to school in Ireland has negated ( in many cases a 1 m SD don’t mind say 2m. Also masks are not compulsory nor is temp check.

Contacts within a class will be isolated. May be possible to create pods within a class also but will be location dependent. The suggestion however is that a single case will take out a school

Boggles wrote: »
    You think in December the turn around time for a test will be 48 hours?

Less I’d say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Less I’d say.

Please do explain?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement