Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Can I ask a question?
    Myself and my children have a condition that places us in the extremely high risk groups.
    They have only recently been diagnosed. Should I be contacting the principals about their conditions and my concerns about them returning to school- is this the correct route to go down? I don’t want to stress the principals out anymore than they already are. Is there someone else I should be contacting about it?
    Like can I request that they are sat next to a window would that even make a difference? I’m finding it very hard as their consultants aren’t telling me straight out that they shouldn’t return to school as risk to children is considered low

Get a second opinion from a paediatrician if you are not convinced.

Boggles wrote: »
    Why are WHO scientists pointing out the blatantly obvious? You just need to take a look at Florida and Texas, no it isn't seasonal. :confused:

More evidence why literally no one is listening to the WHO anymore.

Waves are determined by the ability of the country or region to suppress the virus. Right now we are doing a very good job of that, this "plan" scuppers that good work IMO.

#science.

Using #science doesn’t make you right in everything you say.

Second wave can only arise when we move out of suppression and virus naturally abated. By definition we are suppressing the first wave and a resurgence is either the failure of the suppression measures or early relaxation of suppression measures, it is all part of the first wave though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Can I ask a question?
    Myself and my children have a condition that places us in the extremely high risk groups.
    They have only recently been diagnosed. Should I be contacting the principals about their conditions and my concerns about them returning to school- is this the correct route to go down? I don’t want to stress the principals out anymore than they already are. Is there someone else I should be contacting about it?
    Like can I request that they are sat next to a window would that even make a difference? I’m finding it very hard as their consultants aren’t telling me straight out that they shouldn’t return to school as risk to children is considered low

Yes contact the school outlining your concerns. Work with the school to draw up a plan to meet your children's needs. The sooner the school are aware of this issue the sooner it can be dealt with and your concerns can be eased.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Can I ask a question?
    Myself and my children have a condition that places us in the high risk groups.

You need to inform the principal. Principal can only plan for home learning if they are aware of the potential need.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Can I ask a question?

I'm sure the principals would find the time to address your concerns. After all, keeping people like you and your children safe is ultimately the object of the entire exercise.

• Advertisement

Second wave can only arise when we move out of suppression and virus naturally abated. By definition we are suppressing the first wave and a resurgence is either the failure of the suppression measures or early relaxation of suppression measures, it is all part of the first wave though.
    \

Yeah "the science should not stand in the way of this". Dangerous strategy.
    How's that working out for them?

Child hospitalizations from Covid-19 surge 23% in Florida as schools statewide must reopen
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/27/health/florida-covid-children-hospitalizations/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I’m finding it very hard as their consultants aren’t telling me straight out that they shouldn’t return to school as risk to children is considered low

You need to ask the consultant straight out, and if they won't tell you straight out, get a second opinion. Otherwise, don't worry for a second about "stressing the principal out". This:
    Yes contact the school outlining your concerns. Work with the school to draw up a plan to meet your children's needs. The sooner the school are aware of this issue the sooner it can be dealt with and your concerns can be eased.

....is a bit premature at this stage when you don't know if there is a risk but it is the principal's remit to be handling this. Nobody is forced into being principal, and they are paid taking into account the extra "stress".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Can I ask a question?
    Myself and my children have a condition that places us in the high risk groups.
    Like can I request that they are sat next to a window would that even make a difference? I’m finding it very hard as their consultants aren’t telling me straight out that they shouldn’t return to school as risk to children is considered low[/QUOTE

I would ask my GP- they often know our history better than the consultant. Have a chat with your gp and see what they say. Outline your concerns re numbers in class / space to SD etc if that’s part of your concerns. I don’t know what contacting the principal will do for you - they won’t be able to advise if your child should / should not go back to school. They can facilitate your request to sit near a window and there will be increased hygiene measures in schools . Will this be sufficient for your child ?

ETA obviously advise the school re underlying illness as they will need to know. Teacher can keep an extra eye on your child re hand washing, SD if possible etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The "practical compromise" that the DES has made is to sacrifice the learning of the most vulnerable in our school communities. They have employed 180 extra teachers at primary level to cover teachers on sick leave. This will provide cover for approximately 420 schools out of 3,305. The other schools are bound by
    https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0045_2020.pdf
    This states that if a school is unable to find substitute cover 'For teachers in mainstream classes, schools use other non-mainstream teachers to
    cover the absence.'
    Schools are being instructed to remove support from children with Special Educational Needs to cover classes. What a wonderful compromise.

If we have 180 teachers out sick with suspected Covid we have a major problem, all schools will be closed indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Medical Definition of Second wave
    A phenomenon of infections that can develop during a pandemic. The disease infects one group of people first. Infections appear to decrease. And then, infections increase in a different part of the population, resulting in a second wave of infections.

• Advertisement

\

Yeah "the science should not stand in the way of this". Dangerous strategy.
    How's that working out for them?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/27/health/florida-covid-children-hospitalizations/index.html

See, I am not denying the science at all if that’s what your suggesting. I am saying finishing a post with #science is not using science as a basis for posts, it’s using it as a smokescreen for a lack of scientific rigour in analysis of the situation. And no one is comparing the situation in Florida to that here. But we do need to accept an evidence based level of risk. Without it life grinds to a halt.

Boggles wrote: »
    Medical Definition of Second wave

Appear to decrease.,ie not suppressed artificially through correct interventions

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

Thanks for your replies- I’ll contact our GP and see what he advises and as some of you mentioned if needs be I’ll request to be referred for a second opinion and will contact the principals then.

Appear to decrease.,ie not suppressed artificially through correct interventions

Sorry, do you think this is the first pandemic we have "suppressed artificially"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Luke O'Neill in favour of masks at 2nd level for those of you who just thought the idea came from paranoid teachers

He retweeted this

https://twitter.com/MjoconorMary/status/1288393627581009926?s=19

Lillyfae wrote: »

....is a bit premature at this stage when you don't know if there is a risk but it is the principal's remit to be handling this. Nobody is forced into being principal, and they are paid taking into account the extra "stress".

No it’s not - it is good practice to inform principal of any underlying illness. It may have consequences that are not relevant to covid at all but are relevant in the school context. Depending on the illness drawing up a plan could be as simply as x needs to eat 3 times in the school day. Or it could involve checking bloods x amount if times and procedures to follow depending on the results or it may involve no plan what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

If we have 180 teachers out sick with suspected Covid we have a major problem, all schools will be closed indefinitely.
    Sometimes it is better to make a genuine attempt to understand the issue rather than jumping in feet first.
    There was no mention of Covid in the post. It was a comment on how the DES are prepared to sacrifice the learning of children with Special Educational Needs.
    Perhaps you are happy to pay that price to reopen schools but some of us feel that it is morally and ethically wrong.

Can you stop the whataboutery regarding definition of a wave?
    Look at the sea. It goes up, it goes down, out goes back up.
    Trying to get technical about what is self evident is not a good look.

Confirmed with a 6 year old. Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck.
    It's a fvcking duck.

521392.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭combat14

Luke O'Neill in favour of masks at 2nd level for those of you who just thought the idea came from paranoid teachers

He retweeted this

well if that is what the experts are saying kids and teachers need to wear masks in school simple as

He retweeted this

Agree with use for 2nd level classrooms

• Advertisement

Yes because the only illness any teacher is going to get will be covid. :rolleyes:
    If you think supervision of classes by SET is not going to be necessary you are deluded.

Some schools stating they will have to mandate for masks social distancing under the "plan" impossible.

All though that is not recommended by the Department.

Blame deflection 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Doesn't mean Covid sick. If you have a cough or a sniffle to have to call in sick. No ploughing through allowed like every other year.

Doesn't mean Covid sick. If you have a cough or a sniffle to have to call in sick. No ploughing through allowed like every other year.

SET at this stage is a joke - will have their regular caseload , cater for high-risk children who are immunocompromised and can’t attend school and also cover for mainstream class teachers who are sick. It’s like the gov are setting schools up to fail. Can you imagine a parent of an immunocompromised child - stressed to the hilt anyhow and then fuming cos their school is not catering for their child. All the while the SET teacher/s chasing their tails trying to cover everything. Nightmare.

And get tested and get the all clear within 48 hours if not covid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

lulublue22 wrote: »
    No it’s not - it is good practice to inform principal of any underlying illness. It may have consequences that are not relevant to covid at all but are relevant in the school context. Depending on the illness drawing up a plan could be as simply as x needs to eat 3 times in the school day. Or it could involve checking bloods x amount if times and procedures to follow depending on the results or it may involve no plan what so ever.

Yes that's true, but very much depends on the illness whether any action will be necessary at all.

And get tested and get the all clear within 48 hours if not covid

Yes and who covers this 48 hours - SET - two days taken from those children who need it the most when 1 teacher is absent. This doesn’t a/c for any other illness with longer absences.

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Yes that's true, but very much depends on the illness whether any action will be necessary at all.

Totally but good practice to inform principal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Can I ask a question?

Please don't take any advice from Boards.ie.

Seek professional advice.

• Advertisement

Can you stop the whataboutery regarding definition of a wave?
    Look at the sea. It goes up, it goes down, out goes back up.
    Trying to get technical about what is self evident is not a good look.

Confirmed with a 6 year old. Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck.
    It's a fvcking duck.

521392.jpg

In a sense of isolation it’s not a second wave. Plus they f’d up suppression.And the WHO don’t agree, and they know more than a 6 year old

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement