Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Lillyfae wrote: »
    Somebody else brought up the UK, not me, but there are plenty of other countries where schools are run in this way where the outcomes are fine.

No I don’t want an admin principal. I just don’t think a teaching qualification and career is sufficient to be the principal of a school, and that is what every school in the country has.

And yet you've demonstrated already that you know very little about the running of a school. Forgive me if I don't take your views on appropriate qualifications for principals all that seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

What a startling insight. Do you think the vomit magically disappears all on its own?
    I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence of your claim of strike action. Surely you don't make statements you can't substantiate.

They said they have to wait to clean it up as did other teachers. It's easy enough to just get it sorted there and then if they had the means to.

It's not exactly rocket science.

Evidence of claim of strike action? Evidence? Give it a few weeks.

That would sort of ape the UK system. Trust me we don't want that coming in here. Schools run as businesses and pitted against each other for funding. A discussion for a totally different thread though.

Doesn't sound like a bad idea, might shake things up a bit.

Our education system badly needs an injection of funding but it also needs to have some independent leadership which might come from a business based model rather than what we have currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

How would you define the role of the principal?

Facility and procurement expert with management capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

So you can tell the future so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

You don't place any value on their ability as educators?

How do they fulfill the role of teaching principal so which is the case in well over half the primary schools?

You need to cut that fringe girl. It is clearly interfering with your view of the world.

You need to cut that fringe girl. It is clearly interfering with your view of the world.

Why because I don't share your views?

Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one but they all think each others stink. :)

You don't place any value on their ability as educators?

No, because they shouldn’t be educating. They should be running a school. There’s plenty of work in that.

• Advertisement

No, because they shouldn’t be educating. They should be running a school. There’s plenty of work in that.

So who has overall responsibility for the quality of teaching and learning in the school?

So who has overall responsibility for the quality of teaching and learning in the school?

The department of education.

You also forgot that it leads to inventing stories regarding strikes 😂

Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one but they all think each others stink. :)

Nothing to do with my views and all to do with you continuously making unsubstantiated comments.
    I'm afraid I don't share your expertise on ar**holes.

Think they meant within a school?

Can you suggest how that structure should be managed in over 4,000 schools?

Think they meant within a school?

The department of education have inspectors, right?

The department of education have inspectors, right?

So the role of the inspector is to manage the quality of teaching and learning in an individual school?

Can you suggest how that structure should be managed in over 4,000 schools?

However the department of education sees fit. I would imagine that it would be pretty similar to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭KerryConnor

See attached government expenditure on education by Country - you can see ireland is well down - literally the lowest expenditure along with Romania.

Everyone wants kids back full time by late August .. So we should presuise government to put the money and staff into it. Teachers aren't asking for pay rises (which someone here suggested) but funding for more staff and resources which will benefit our kids massively . And will allow staff to ensure health and safety protocols are followed and our communities are protected from surges in the virus. Those suggesting schools are low risk should look outbreaks in israel.

Simply getting kids to wash hands is impossible without 2 adults in room. You cant allow a trail of kids out to loos to wash hands safely without someone supervising. The kids start messing, water ends up on the floor someone might slip(talking from experience a boy in 2nd whacked his head off wall of bathroom a couple years ago and had to go to AnE) . Maybe Covid will be the opportunity to improve our schools.

• Advertisement

This would be the same Dept of Ed who have continuously gone out of their way to avoid taking any responsibility or giving concrete guidance during the pandemic.

I wouldn't be putting my faith in them to properly oversee all the schools in the country...

So the role of the inspector is to manage the quality of teaching and learning in an individual school?

It’s kind of like that now, right? Primary and secondary schools both have standardized testing that highlight issues in learning. If there’s an issue with the teaching that’s easy to discover and assess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

?? Assholes don't have the capacity to think.

s1ippy wrote: »
    ?? Assholes don't have the capacity to think.

They can't read either :rolleyes:

See attached government expenditure on education by Country - you can see ireland is well down.

Everyone wants kids back full time by late August .. So we should presuise government to put the money and staff into it. Teachers aren't asking for pay rises (which someone here suggested) but funding for more staff and resources which will benefit our kids massively

That is completely shocking and I 100% support adequately funding schools. The whole system and it’s facilities need to be razed to the ground and totally overhauled. This is a first world country, for Gods sake! We’re on a par with Romania here...

It’s kind of like that now, right? Primary and secondary schools both have standardized testing that highlight issues in learning. If there’s an issue with the teaching that’s easy to discover and assess.

The primary purpose of Drumcondra/ Sigma/ Micra tests is as a means of screening children to determine who might need additional supports. It's not a check up on the school, it assesses the kids relative to national progress.

Now, if the class drops as a whole then the principal might look into why - but sometimes a drop is expected (like with the revised Drumcondras last year). Often an individual drop in STEN can be attributed to issues on the day. It's good to have some kind of standardised test I think but I wouldn't treat them as the be all and end all.

Not used for that purpose at all.

testing can be used to support
    assessment of children’s progress and achievement, and to extend and enrich their
    learning.

The above is taken from a document on the NCCA website.

That is completely shocking and I 100% support adequately funding schools. The whole system and it’s facilities need to be razed to the ground and totally overhauled. This is a first world country, for Gods sake! We’re on a par with Romania here...

Just noticed that it’s %GDP aswell, real two fingers to the children of this country.

The primary purpose of Drumcondra/ Sigma/ Micra tests is as a means of screening children to determine who might need additional supports. It's not a check up on the school, it assesses the kids relative to national progress.

Now, if the class drops as a whole then the principal might look into why - but sometimes a drop is expected (like with the revised Drumcondras last year). Often an individual drop in STEN can be attributed to issues on the day. It's good to have some kind of standardised test I think but I wouldn't treat them as the be all and end all.

Actually was wondering do you think they will run the tests for this year once the schools are back up and running?

I've found these tests very useful to see if anything is slipping and catch it before it becomes a bigger problem.

• Advertisement

In my humble opinion they are a complete loads of sh!te. Some parents place far too much value in the stens. They are just a snapshot on a given day. Sometimes they equate to what you see during the school year and correspond to class based assessments and sometimes they don't. I always put a letter in with my reports basically telling parents not to put too much emphasis on the stens that their child got.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement