Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Wibbs wrote: »
    Sure S, but Bernie Sanders won more votes than her before she was put forward as the candidate.

Where did you read that? It doesn't seem accurate. She won 16.8mn votes to his 13.1, and led the popular vote in the US primaries from the fourth one of them onwards, which took place in February and was put forward as the candidate in July I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Surely at this stage some journalist must ask one the two Doctors is what Trump is saying about this miracle drug true or false and would they recommend to one of their patients. That question about Tiger Man was shockingly offensive at such a critical stage of the Pandemic

Someone did try to ask Dr fauci but the other day but Trump wouldn't let him answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭sliabh 1956

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Someone did try to ask Dr fauci but the other day but Trump wouldn't let him answer.

I remember that now but the press seem very weak in their questions he seems to intimidate everyone on the podium and in the press corp Borris tried the same
    stunt when he was going for leadership .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Oh come on, are we back to 'He's muzzling Fauci!' again? As Trump said, the guy's already answered the damn question multiple times now and it's clear these reporters/activists are just continuing to badger Fauci on the subject in the hope they can cause division between him and the administration and/or to get another sound bite for that night's negative take on the night's presser: 'Fauci To Trump: Stop Giving False Hope!' or similar would just be how they'd run him repeating what he's already said eleventeen times now.

Ain't nobody in the dark on what Fauci thinks about Hydroxychloroquine (and he's quite justified in the view he takes also).

Here's just his take on the drug with regards to the coronavirus this past week:

https://twitter.com/TomthunkitsMind/status/1247771724868775936
    https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1247245151715680256
    https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1246051051301679105
    https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1246962520683941888

We're in the middle of an historic pandemic where there is a lot of confusion among the public as to what to do, take or how to act. Why are you upset about reporters asking this info to be clarified by the leading expert they have, in a press conference specifically aimed at addressing these issues, given that the public are clearly still confused on the matter?

• Advertisement

Oh come on, are we back to 'He's muzzling Fauci!' again? As Trump said, the guy's already answered the damn question multiple times now and it's clear these reporters/activists are just continuing to badger Fauci on the subject in the hope they can cause division between him and the administration and/or to get another sound bite for that night's negative take on the night's presser:

Thanks for that Outlaw I was unaware of those interview but it shows again Trumps complete indifference to the Medical people He pretends to support them but at the same time he loves giving his lay mans opinions I suppose he has nothing to loose he is going to claim the credit when this crisis comes to an end

Are all American News channels either pro or anti trump I have lately started watching Fox news the are so unashamedly pro trump it makes a mockery of the idea of a non biased media did they treat Obama with contempt when he was in power and trump always derides cnn and certain papers it seems a really divided country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Are all American News channels either pro or anti trump I have lately started watching Fox news the are so unashamedly pro trump it makes a mockery of the idea of a non biased media did they treat Obama with contempt when he was in power and trump always derides cnn and certain papers it seems a really divided country

That's literally the WORST "news" channel you could ever watch. It's basically Republican propaganda. There are more middle of the road, reliable news sources there. NBC, USA Today, WSJ, CBS, ABC, NY Post and CNN are more middle of the road. (According to a US survey done in 2019). Huffpost, Vice, Vox, NY Times, Politico, NPR... would be a bit more left leaning, while Breitbart, Wash Examiner are more extreme right leaning. Fox News is the main right leaning news source for Republicans. Most news sources are more Dem/Liberal leaning I think.

And yes, it's a very divided country.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

Stateofyou wrote: »
    That's literally the WORST "news" channel you could ever watch. It's basically Republican propaganda. There are more middle of the road, reliable news sources there. NBC, USA Today, WSJ, CBS, ABC, NY Post and CNN are more middle of the road. (According to a US survey done in 2019). Huffpost, Vice, Vox, NY Times, Politico, NPR... would be a bit more left leaning, while Breitbart, Wash Examiner are more extreme right leaning. Fox News is the main right leaning news source for Republicans. Most news sources are more Dem/Liberal leaning I think.

And yes, it's a very divided country.

The world is very divided, wars, economic recessions, religious persecution, godly versus morally bankrupt people.

The MSM is left leaning and the main source of control of populations by those who control the world operating in the shadows.

Fox has Trump's back, while the rest have waged a war against him, ever since he came down the elevator in Trump tower having announced his candidacy to be president.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The world is very divided, wars, economic recessions, religious persecution, godly versus morally bankrupt people.

The MSM is left leaning and the main source of control of populations by those who control the world operating in the shadows.

Fox has Trump's back, while the rest have waged a war against him, ever since he came down the elevator in Trump tower having announced his candidacy to be president.

That certainly describes Trump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Dr. Fauci is probably the only person people see over there who has a consistent message.

As an aside Dr. Fauci is nearly 80 years old. He doesn't look it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I have lately started watching Fox news the are so unashamedly pro trump it makes a mockery of the idea of a non biased media
    You have to remember that FOX News is owned by Rupert Murdock (The Sun, News of the World) and that he never lets the truth get in the way of a good headline.

I love watching FOX. I abhor it and every presenter on it but I love watching it. I particularly liked this one last week...

https://twitter.com/taddmike/status/1245550170076569606

Hannity is a close friend of Trumps (as close friends go for Trump) and no matter what Trump does Hannity will support him.

America is extremely divided but it always has been. That divide is becoming more and more hateful though.

I think the US are going to open back up in the next 3-4 weeks. Unfortunately another 3-4 weeks after that their health system is going to be crippled and it'll be everybody's fault but their own.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The US has passed 2000 reported deaths today :(

I remember when it was in the news that covid had overtaken 9/11 for deaths.

Now it's looking like it will be a 9/11 for them every single day. They're 2/3rds of the way there already, and it's a scary thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

I'm in the US in Illinois. Seriously considering packing in the Visa and coming home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

I'm in the US in Illinois. Seriously considering packing in the Visa and coming home.

No need to, Trump has everything under the control, apart from his hair. All other things are going well. Just checked the news and he's not worried at all, so we can relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Every day could be worse than pearl harbour

Scary

• Registered Users Posts: 7,971 ✭✭✭threeball

Because of Trump or because of the virus? If its the latter travelling on a plane is probably not the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I remember when it was in the news that covid had overtaken 9/11 for deaths.

Now it's looking like it will be a 9/11 for them every single day. They're 2/3rds of the way there already, and it's a scary thought.
    9/11 was a terrorist attack. Coronavirus is a natural phenomenon. I don't see why one would compare the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I wont tell you what to do only that I once had a dream of going to America, I thought of it as paradise of people, culture and scenery, unlike any other place on earth. However I no longer want to go to that place or having anything to do with it even if you paid me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I wont tell you what to do only that I once had a dream of going to America, I thought of it as paradise of people, culture and scenery, unlike any other place on earth. However I no longer want to go to that place or having anything to do with it even if you paid me.

Don’t let trump ruin it for you. If you were to visit now your experience would be much the same as visiting 5 years ago or whatever. It’s a fun place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there and there’s no way in hell I’d want to raise a family there.

South Korea and the USA had their first confirmed cases on the same day. I think we all need to learn a lot from how they are handling this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Scotty # wrote: »
    9/11 was a terrorist attack. Coronavirus is a natural phenomenon. I don't see why one would compare the two?

A dead body is a dead body. That said in terms of fiscal stress and wider economic effects Covid 19 is obviously far worse anyway. The USA can always create short term economic stimulus out of war, that won't work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

MadYaker wrote: »
    Don’t let trump ruin it for you. If you were to visit now your experience would be much the same as visiting 5 years ago or whatever. It’s a fun place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there and there’s no way in hell I’d want to raise a family there.

South Korea and the USA had their first confirmed cases on the same day. I think we all need to learn a lot from how they are handling this.

Ya I im not really interested, nowhere is perfect and each place has its own problems I get it but its just not something that appeals to me anymore. It did one time though but I grew up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Context I suppose. Look at the outpouring of grief after sep11, a lot of that was because of the optics. People choking to death and dieing at home doesn’t have the same dramatic punch but it results in the same thing, dead people but on a much bigger scale.

They may be different events but they were both preceded by warnings that were not heeded and have been made worse by a disfunctional federal/state (prob more defence departments with 9/11) system overseen by an hopelessly inadequate president.

Historically, people seem to remember bush with less harsh eyes. He managed to start an unjust war that still goes on today and destroyed all the goodwill USA got from around the world after the crisis. And he makes Trump look like a clown, says it all really, republican presidents getting worse as time goes on...

Just using it as it was the line in the news when it went over 3,000 dead. Its likely used as it helps compare the scale for the reader, otherwise large numbers like this can lose their impact as its difficult to quantify.

What's worse is it looks like it might only be getting going over there, as the map of the spread/location of cases is getting more and more spread out. Places like Michigan and Louisiana are growing quite rapidly, with the latter sharing a border with Texas and quite close to some of its biggest population centers like Houston and Dallas. The death figures have gone up from 400-500 two weeks ago, to 1,200-1,300 last week, to 1900-2000 this week gone. Given that their national government is more interested in making money from this than saving lives and some of their state governors have been spreading false information a out the virus, that escalation if this gets out could keep going until and have us looking at 3,000 per day within a week or so, and recall the sky is the limit as to what it might look like 2 or 3 months from now.

The line used by some was that tens of thousands die of the flu in the US every year, but this only leads to even more concern as it highlights the lack of medical assistance so many Americans are stuck without. It seems to be an average of about 40,000, or 00.012% of the population that die from flu each year. That seems tiny until you compare it with the likes of Ireland where the number is about 90 per year on average, which works out to 00.0018%, over five times lower. This would make me very concerned that the US will have one of the highest death rates among those with the virus when all of this is said and done.

And today is the day the US overtakes Italy for the most deaths from covid tlobslly, about one hour ago it was less than 100 cases behind Italy but losing over 1,000 more than them a day. Of course,given the geographic spread of the US they should be looking at Canada as a comparison more than Europe, where population centers are far closer together.

Canada by comparison has 11.5% of the US' population, yet only 4.5% the number of cases (23k vs 503k) and 3% of their deaths (233 v 18,750), and this gap is only spreading. Canada has also enacted quite strict lockdown rules at a federal level which the US is yet to do and doesn't look like they will even consider at all as they value the economy more so than their populace.

Even with the advantage of vast internal geographic distance that the US has, it is now on pace to surpass Ireland for per capita cases at some point next week, and deaths per capita either next week or the week after.

This isn't going to go away like a miracle the way Trump claimed initially, and the figure of less than 100,000 being a "great success" which some saw as a very high number/low bar to aim for initially is now looking like it could seen be monthly death toll as early as next month.

It's quite a shame for their own sakes that their election cycle wasn't a year later, if they were ever to have a hope of pushing through universal healthcare to save countless lives in the future, it would have likely needed to be on the back of almost countless lost lives from their unthinkably poor handling of and preparedness for this. This is reflected in their resorting to piracy that you would expect to see off the coast of Somalia, desperately stealing other nations supplies which I can see doing severe damage to their reputation.

Everyone knows a lot of people will die over there, bit barring a vaccine coming out in the next 2 or 3 months, I don't know if it has really been taken into account by many how vast this toll could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Trump himself said up to 200k. He’s been downplaying this from the start to try and protect the economy though so it could end up being more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

The US has passed 2000 reported deaths today :(

Thankfully it looks like their measure seem to be having some effect in flattening the curve.
    "The apparent progress in efforts to slow the spread of the highly contagious virus were also reflected in fresh computer models scaling back the projected nationwide death toll to 60,000, down from earlier forecasts of at least 100,000[...]Citing data that social distancing was working, California Governor Gavin Newsom said the number of daily admissions to intensive care units in his state had dropped for the first time in recent weeks, by nearly 2% on Thursday."
    Source
    Death rate still rising, however expected to peak in the next few days and start to level off.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Trump himself said up to 200k. He’s been downplaying this from the start to try and protect the economy though so it could end up being more than that.
    He actually said both 100,000, below 100,000 and 200,000 all in the same sentence now that I look back over it - https://theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/trump-says-keeping-us-covid-19-deaths-to-100000-would-be-a-very-good-job
    “And so, if we could hold that down, as we’re saying, to 100,000 – it’s a horrible number, maybe even less, but to 100,000, so we have between 100 [thousand] and 200,000 – we altogether have done a very good job.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

The doctor there was incorrect and in mid-January the WHO announced that preliminary findings from China that H2H transmission of the Virus was not evident. Bringing up December 31st and that "we" knew last year all sounded very politically loaded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Danno wrote: »
    The doctor there was incorrect and in mid-January the WHO announced that preliminary findings from China that H2H transmission of the Virus was not evident. Bringing up December 31st and that "we" knew last year all sounded very politically loaded.

I believe 20th January was the exact date they announced H2H transmissable. Everything after that is on our own responsibility.

Advertisement