Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

His press conferences are the best thing on TV at the moment. Especially the Q&A. Seriously.

Id say the world may as well enjoy it,when hes gone from office,there wont be another like him

(Thank fcuk,but still at times funny)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

The press give him so much ammo too though

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

His press conferences are the best thing on TV at the moment. Especially the Q&A. Seriously.

He comes across well in fairness, answers lots of questions from reporters. Many people tend to believe the picture the corrupt MSM try to portray of him, but in reality he is straight talking and not shy making a quick decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Oohhh very short q and a! He's bored of it now. He ain't winning this fight. Covid is a tricky one for all countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭one world order

He comes across well in fairness, answers lots of questions from reporters. Many people tend to believe the picture the corrupt MSM try to portray of him, but in reality he is straight talking and not shy making a quick decision.

Also his approval ratings have unsurprisingly gone up during this pandemic.

• Advertisement

Maybe now he is gone Fauci can tell the American people how it really is going!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Noy watching the press conference but its because the models are predicting something like 60k total deaths now as opposed to the 150-200k of a couple of weeks ago. Social distancing measures seem to be working to flatten the curve, but its nothing to do with Trump. More the governers and citizens of the states who have taken action without him. It is working though so why not be optimistic?

Don't know about "normal life" resuming May 1st though, more like June I'd say.
    81K now. They use healthdata.org for their modelling. According to the same organisation, we peaked on 4th April. https://covid19.healthdata.org/ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Maybe now he is gone Fauci can tell the American people how it really is going!

You do realise that just over two weeks ago Dr. Fauci stated:

image.png

Look, Trump is far from perfect but he is also far from the devil incarnate that left spend so much time trying to convince the world he is. Some are just blinded by their hatred of the Orange Man and as a result are missing what is in plain sight and that is that Donald Trump was as misinformed by those giving advice (CDC, W.H.O. etc) as the rest of the world's leaders were.

It's quite clear that from Jan 29th, when the Trump administration established the taskforce to tackle the virus (around ten days or so after the W.H.O. confirmed that the Coronavirus could be spread from person to person) they put the CDC/Fauci in the driving seat with regards to what it is that should be done to slow the spread of the virus in the US and only those with with an insatiable anti-Trump agenda would overlook that aspect of it all.

Of course the buck ultimately stops with Trump and it is he who should be held responsible for decisions made, even when they are ones informed by incorrect information. However, proportion matters and right now the laser focused condemnation of Trump is disproportionate. To begin this all too early autopsy, one must take a look at the timeline of the Trump administration's efforts to stop the spread of the virus:

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/media/timeline-the-trump-administrations-decisive-actions-to-combat-the-coronavirus/

The criticism of much of those actions is that it wasn't sufficient, but why it wasn't is just as important as the fact that it wasn't, and why it wasn't is that the actions were informed by bad advice (with some of the decisions at least). Not suggesting everything Trump said was informed by information he was being given by the CDC/WHO but the vast majority of the decisions the administration made undoubtedly were.

The recent leaked memos make it clear that opinions differed hugely but ultimately, for whatever reason, it was Fauci's message that was informing the administration above all others and no matter how much people hate Trump, sooner or later the focus needs to be put on them:

Jan 26th Fauci said:
    "The American people should not be worried or frightened by this. It's a very, very low risk to the United States. It isn't something that the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about."

Feb 29th, when asked if Americans should change anything about their day to day habits, Fauci said:
    "No, right now, at this moment, there is no need to change anything that you're doing on a day by day basis ..."

This undoubtedly fueled much of the following:

On March 3rd the Mayor of New York was even encouraging people to party together:

https://twitter.com/BilldeBlasio/status/1234648718714036229

Course the same people are now suggesting it's all Trump's fault, ignoring the fact that they listened to the same bad advice which the US administration did. Not trying to throw Fauci under the bus, or anyone else for that matter, but more trying to get people to see that the narrative some are trying to push/spin, that they knew what was best for America all along, is baloney and the record shows it.

Chances are that had the Chinese government being more open with the WHO then their decisions and advice to the Trump administration (and the world) would have been far more apt than it sadly has turned out to be and it is in their direction which condemnation and criticism should be ultimately be directed, proportionally speaking at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Also his approval ratings have unsurprisingly gone up during this pandemic.

They're actually on their way back down now. Getting thousands of people killed isn't popular with voters apparently.

You do realise that just over two weeks ago Dr. Fauci stated:

I meant in regards to Trump lying, spoofing and talking nonsense.

• Advertisement

Of course the buck ultimately stops with Trump and it is he who should be held responsible for decisions made,

Exactly and he is handling this terribly.

Just see now, 1,970 dead in the last 24hrs total. Truly shocking figures coming from the US. Very sad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's long been my worry that the longer this goes on and the more causalities pile up and more tempers fray in the face of an invisible enemy and bad decisions all around, people are going to be looking for a visible scapegoat and someone in power is going to do or say something stupid and we'll have conflict.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

America has a lower case rate them we have per million.

That may well change.

Closing flights from China so early on, closing flights from Europe will have helped America enormously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Wibbs wrote: »
    It's long been my worry that the longer this goes on and the more causalities pile up and more tempers fray in the face of an invisible enemy and bad decisions all around, people are going to be looking for a visible scapegoat and someone in power is going to do or say something stupid and we'll have conflict.
    Do you mean US/China tensions?

Some believe the powers that be in China purposely did not contain the virus spreading to other countries, as if the virus was contained there it would have been a financial disaster for them. It seems pretty convenient that the country with the origin of the virus has an economy that looks like it'll rebound very well comparatively. Not saying this is right or wrong, but you can't trust their government. I can understand some of the frustrations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Do you mean US/China tensions?

Some believe the powers that be in China purposely did not contain the virus spreading to other countries, as if the virus was contained there it would have been a financial disaster for them. It seems pretty convenient that the country with the origin of the virus has an economy that looks like it'll rebound very well comparatively. Not saying this is right or wrong, but you can't trust their government. I can understand some of the frustrations.
    Oh so can I N. If history is any judge and if conflict does kick off, it's as likely to come from somewhere or someone not so obvious. I would reckon, or hope, the US/China thing will remain a war of words. I suspect it will. It's definitely time for cool heads to reign.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

Wibbs wrote: »
    Oh so can I N. If history is any judge and if conflict does kick off, it's as likely to come from somewhere or someone not so obvious. I would reckon, or hope, the US/China thing will remain a war of words. I suspect it will. It's definitely time for cool heads to reign.

Theres nothing to be gained from a war except more death and misery. Transferring manufacturing and thereby a market away from China to other countries will have a more devastating effect.

Danzy wrote: »
    America has a lower case rate them we have per million.

That may well change.

Closing flights from China so early on, closing flights from Europe will have helped America enormously.

You're possibly right, it may change - but that would be just crazy numbers of wouldn't it, unimaginable, surely they'll get it under control.

I think Trump needs to get over that he stopped flights coming in. He had a big problem already then but just didn't realise it. He needs to start solving his problem fast and stop blaming others.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

Trump is right about WHO the head guy is not even a doctor and did cow tow to China advise stopping flights out of china and its mixed signals on masks they irrelevant at this this stage.
    Saw Trump on tv last light he was on fire.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Saw Trump on tv last light he was on fire.

No, that's actually his usual colour

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Talking about death rates at the moment in the US ridiculous. They are barely doing any testing. In New York hundreds have died in the last month who were never tested and aren’t in the figures. It’s the same in Italy, Spain and the UK. When won’t know real death figures for months. US numbers will be horrifying compared to anywhere for a number of reasons. I’d love to have a face to face conversation with anyone who thinks Trump handling of this has been good or his press conference performances are impressive.

He advised everyone to take prescription drugs with no idea what the effects would be ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I live in the US. I don't think trump has handled it well at all. I am not a trump fan or supporter. Why don't people get that he has no power really? Think of every state as a country, similar to the EU.

I still think we are in a much better position than we could have been. My state is OK so far, most of the US is ok so far. I've already said it but the catastrophising and ill wishing when it comes to America is out of control.

I live in the US. I don't think trump has handled it well at all. I am not a trump fan or supporter. Why don't people get that he has no power really? Think of every state as a country, similar to the EU.

I'm not that up on how it all works to be fair. Who stopped the flights to each state?
    And what's his remit around FEMA.
    And what's his remit around the White House Coronavirus Task Force.

I'm not that up on how it all works to be fair. Who stopped the flights to each state?
    And what's his remit around FEMA.
    And what's his remit around the White House Coronavirus Task Force.

No one stopped the flights to each state, as you well know. But pretty much every state has had restrictions similar to, or more strict than, Ireland/UK/EU for at least a month now. Its helping . Trump is irrelevant to the majority of people. The national guard has been activated in many states, they should be able to cope, FEMA is a last resort

No one stopped the flights to each state, as you well know. But pretty much every state has had restrictions similar to, or more strict than, Ireland/UK/EU for at least a month now. Its helping . Trump is irrelevant to the majority of people. The national guard has been activated in many states, they should be able to cope, FEMA is a last resort

I meant from China, is it ordered by the President and forced on each state or can each state decide themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

Trumps major failure was in his decisions not to centralise purchases and instead have states compete against one another in a type of hunger games scenario. He has also played politics, basically asked Democrat governers to heap praise on him in exchange for equipment and telling everyone that would listen how great and thankful the republican governers have been.

He has also recommended a drug with unproven efficacy which resulted in two idiots drinking fish tank cleaner and doubtless there will be other people who take it who shouldn't have and have major downsides, like those that are immunocompromised. Not to mention he owns shares in a company who makes the drug in question.

Then theres the constant conflicting information which ends up with people not knowing who to believe, which results in more death.

I meant from China, is it ordered by the President and forced on each state or can each state decide themselves.

The China thing was ordered by the president. Most states don't have flights from China arriving directly. So they funneled flights through 4 or 5 airports where they could do screening, which as we know now was pretty useless, but the reduced volume of arrivals no doubt helped somewhat. This was months ago though?

Aside from that, each state can implement its own measures re social distancing etc, and they have with great success.

threeball wrote: »
    Trumps major failure was in his decisions not to centralise purchases and instead have states compete against one another in a type of hunger games scenario. He has also played politics, basically asked Democrat governers to heap praise on him in exchange for equipment and telling everyone that would listen how great and thankful the republican governers have been.

He has also recommended a drug with unproven efficacy which resulted in two idiots drinking fish tank cleaner and doubtless there will be other people who take it who shouldn't have and have major downsides, like those that are immunocompromised. Not to mention he owns shares in a company who makes the drug in question.

Then theres the constant conflicting information which ends up with people not knowing who to believe, which results in more death.

Yeah whatever. The drug is not making anyone money,, its well out of patent and can be bought for pennies in a lot of places around the world.. Honestly, I don't give a **** about trump or what he has to say. Most people dont. My governor is doing a good job and that's what matters

Yeah whatever. The drug is not making anyone money,, its well out of patent and can be bought for pennies in a lot of places around the world.. Honestly, I don't give a **** about trump or what he has to say. Most people dont. My governor is doing a good job and that's what matters

You're going to see a bit of Trump talk in this thread dude. Just FYI.

The China thing was ordered by the president. Most states don't have flights from China arriving directly. So they funneled flights through 4 or 5 airports where they could do screening, which as we know now was pretty useless, but the reduced volume of arrivals no doubt helped somewhat. This was months ago though?

Just trying to work out what kind of power he has - I thought he has no real power so the states could ignore the call to the China flight ban.

He talks of being able to "lockdown/quarantine" states if he wants, what is the deal there? He can or he cannot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

This is true, a lot of power resides at state level, although it's not as much power as EU countries.

That said, Trump's press conferences are awful stuff. I can't imagine that people watching take much confidence from them that the president has a good handle on what's going on. I don't think people would be reassured at all by watching them. That's an opportunity missed.

Advertisement