Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Awesome move by President Trump tonight.

Only so much of the bull**** narrative the media have been spinning could be tolerated without some pushback.

Good for him and good for the administration and fair play to Fauci for defending Trump tonight also and responding to the scurrilous suggestion that Trump had put him up to speaking the way that he did.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1249858152578920449

This is very poorly crafted propaganda. You do realise that the clips of the media minimising it are all things that Trump himself has said? It's a "hoax", it'll disappear "like a miracle", "coronaflu", his "hunch" that the WHO were exaggerating the severity and the numbers were much lower etc etc. Piss poor effort.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

This is very poorly crafted propaganda. You do realise that the clips of the media minimising it are all things that Trump himself has said? It's a "hoax", it'll disappear "like a miracle", "coronaflu", his "hunch" that the WHO were exaggerating the severity and the numbers were much lower etc etc. Piss poor effort.

Trump wanted to ban flights from China in January.
    He was talking about the virus. He was aware.

Leo went election campaigning to Longford in January. Not a word about the virus

https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/509145/taoiseach-leo-varadkar-to-visit-longford-and-edgeworthstown-as-general-election-campaign-intensifies.html

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Trump wanted to ban flights from China in January.
    He was talking about the virus. He was aware.

Leo went election campaigning to Longford in January. Not a word about the virus

https://www.longfordleader.ie/news/home/509145/taoiseach-leo-varadkar-to-visit-longford-and-edgeworthstown-as-general-election-campaign-intensifies.html

Did he not say the things I said he said? Or was that somebody else I'm thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

So the spin begins.

1/10

Trump acted when others didn't agree, based on Faucis advice. At the time being called racist and xenophobic. How can you possibly spin this?

No one said he was right at the time; and if you check the 2020 us presidential thread for the last 2 days people have been denying banning flights to China was even a good thing. It was dogwhistling something or other.

He certainly has said some very stupid things along the way, but you could argue he's downplaying to make people feel better. His actions from what I see have been pretty reasonable compared to others and yet he gets sanctimonious screeching at his news conferences.

I'd kick them out too. They purposefully duped people(me) with their headlines about "Trump retweets call to fire Fauci amid coronavirus criticism"
    Joke of a news organization; playing politics especially in this time of crisis is reprehensible

2u2me wrote: »
    So the spin begins.

1/10

Trump acted when others didn't agree, based on Faucis advice. At the time being called racist and xenophobic. How can you possibly spin this?

No one said he was right at the time; and if you check the 2020 us presidential thread for the last 2 days people have been denying banning flights to China was even a good thing. It was dogwhistling something or other.

He certainly has said some very stupid things along the way, but you could argue he's downplaying to make people feel better. His actions from what I see have been pretty reasonable compared to others and yet he gets sanctimonious screeching at his news conferences.

I'd kick them out too. They purposefully duped people(me) with their headlines about "Trump retweets call to fire Fauci amid coronavirus criticism"
    Joke of a news organization; playing politics especially in this time of crisis is reprehensible

As above - are you claiming he didn't say all those things? It exists on video, you can go and look at it now if you'd like. He's accusing the media of downplaying the virus when he himself was the loudest doing it. Downplaying the seriousness of a pandemic isn't helpful, or something that can make people "feel better" as you say. It causes it to spread because people don't take it seriously enough. Do you accept that he said the things he criticises the media for saying in this video?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

He certainly has said some very stupid things along the way, but you could argue he's downplaying to make people feel better.

Haha it's cute that you think he gives a sh*t about how people feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

She should let him finish his answers. This badgering crap is not useful to anyone. Only fuels outrage.

He was let finish his "answers", he just didn't answer what she asked.

She should let him finish his answers. This badgering crap is not useful to anyone. Only fuels outrage.

In normal circumstances id agree, but they should not let his continued lying go unchallenged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Look obviously the guy is completely crazy is there any point listening to anything what he says(Trump that is)

Fauci has had it made clear to him that the only way he gets to continue to have any input in controlling this thing is to tow the line and fellate Trump. Fauci is popular, so is able to influence some things because Trump values image above all else. He has taken the decision to suck it up for the greater good, even at the risk of losing his credibility in the long term

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,885 ✭✭✭Christy42

So the spin begins.

1/10

All Trump has done is play politics. All he has done is to try and blame others. Nothing positive from the man. Just blame blame blame. The US was massively under prepared when it came down to it and started off leagues behind every other first world country in terms of testing. How do you spin that?

Banning flights only delays the virus reaching you. It does nothing if you the time isn't used to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I actually put the flaws of this policy to you in a lot of detail, with no mention whatsoever of racism, dog whistling, or anything of the sort. You still have not responded, please feel free to do so whenever you wish. Here is the link - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113136245&postcount=796

I actually put the flaws of this policy to you in a lot of detail, with no mention whatsoever of racism, dog whistling, or anything of the sort. You still have not responded, please feel free to do so whenever you wish. Here is the link - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113136245&postcount=796

Because Outlawpete was kind enough to refute it. Check his posts. He even posted a large image showing all the headlines from various newsources. It saved me a lot of time.

Christy42 wrote: »
    All Trump has done is play politics. All he has done is to try and blame others. Nothing positive from the man. Just blame blame blame. The US was massively under prepared when it came down to it and started off leagues behind every other first world country in terms of testing. How do you spin that?

Banning flights only delays the virus reaching you. It does nothing if you the time isn't used to prepare.

I have seen Trump say many idiotic ridiculous things in the last few months; but the only unwarranted blame I see him slinging around is at China. I also see many ridiculous things said by European leaders.

The fact is Trump can do absolutely nothing right. That is the democratcs biggest downfall. He closes the borders gets called racist, then two months later he didn't do enough. Now they spin 'calls to fire Fauci'. It's gone beyond ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

All this chatter about the Trump administration banning China travel on January 31st - they didn't. They funneled flights from China thru 7 US airports for additional screening and requested those arriving from China to self isolate for 14 days - family members of people with US citizenship were still allowed in. They also only did this after the 3 major US airlines operating flights to/from China had already announced they were suspending those routes. The airlines overruled the white house! Trump had so little regard for the importance of the announcement, he didn't even attend it.

I have seen Trump say many idiotic ridiculous things in the last few months; but the only unwarranted blame I see him slinging around is at China. I also see many ridiculous things said by European leaders.

The fact is Trump can do absolutely nothing right. That is the democratcs biggest downfall. He closes the borders gets called racist, then two months later he didn't do enough. Now they spin 'calls to fire Fauci'. It's gone beyond ridiculous.

Are you saying that he should or shouldn't have threatened to fire Fauci? That isn't spin. That is now part of presidential record.

I mean the US was miles behind every country in terms getting testing rolled out. Miles. They didn't have working tests. We had working tests. So yes he didn't do enough. Closing borders is not a silver bullet. I don't know why there seems to be a segment of people seem to think it solves all issues. It solves very little as we are seeing now.

People say that Democrats blaming people at fault is playing politics and trump doing it is fair order? That is not treating things the same.

If he could answer the question of what they did in February then you might have a point. He couldn't. He didn't need to remember all of it. Just anything.

People complain that Democrats say he can't do anything right but they also don't really go on about what he has actually done right.

All he can do is deflect blame away he can't actually do anything useful.

Are you saying that he should or shouldn't have threatened to fire Fauci? That isn't spin. That is now part of presidential record.

It is loaded questions such as this I'd describe as spin. I dispute he threatened to fire Fauci.

It is loaded questions such as this I'd describe as spin. I dispute he threatened to fire Fauci.

You and I have very different interpretations of #firefauci.

If someone goes with #firefauci it isn't spi. To say he is threatening to fire Fauci. I legitimately don't know how much clearer it could be made.

Was he hacked?

Because Outlawpete was kind enough to refute it. Check his posts. He even posted a large image showing all the headlines from various newsources. It saved me a lot of time.
    You'll need think me to his, response, because as things stand it seems like you're either mistaken or are intentionally being dishonest and making that up.

I say that because Pete has two posts in that thread after my one that you have not yet answered. Neither are a response to, or even quote, the post in question.

My post that you won't reply to: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113136245&postcount=796

Pete's two posts since:
    1. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113147274&postcount=827

2. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113147472&postcount=828

Pete's full posting history on that thread: https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2058050259&query=&user=213786&date_from=&date_to=

So can you show me where Pete replied to my referenced post about your flawed umbrella analogy and Trumps woeful response now?

You and I have very different interpretations of #firefauci.

If someone goes with #firefauci it isn't spi. To say he is threatening to fire Fauci. I legitimately don't know how much clearer it could be made.

Was he hacked?

Context. People are willfully ignorant when they choose.

• Advertisement

You'll need think me to his, response, because as things stand it seems like you're either mistaken or are intentionally being dishonest and making that up.

I say that because Pete has two posts in that thread after my one that you have not yet answered. Neither are a response to, or even quote, the post in question.

My post that you won't reply to: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113136245&postcount=796

Pete's two posts since:
    1. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113147274&postcount=827

2. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113147472&postcount=828

Pete's full posting history on that thread: https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2058050259&query=&user=213786&date_from=&date_to=

So can you show me where Pete replied to my referenced post about your flawed umbrella analogy and Trumps woeful response now?

I don't care to discuss with you. I was discussing with other people when you picked up half way through. You are not honestly applying facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Context. People are willfully ignorant when they choose.

Because this is the exact same course that he has travelled everytime he starts to fire people.

He retweets out something, seemingly open to interpretation, but it gets people talking. He tends states that he isn't going to fire them, its all fake news.

The media follow the story, and then after a time Trump claims that the person is terrible, the worst, probably deep state and that he would have got rid of them sooner (or never hired them) only for the MSM would have made it look worse then it is.

It is the same everytime so why are you refusing to see it for whaat it is? This is straight out of the Trump playbook. It is his way of flying a flag to see the reaction. He wants to gauge whether he would get support from GOP and Fox. If he does then he is free to get rid.

Its also a passive agressive way of letting the respective person that he can fire them and make them look terrible he wants.

I don't care to discuss with you. I was discussing with other people when you picked up half way through. You are not honestly applying facts.

If you are going to be intentionally dishonest and pretend something was responded to when it was not, then why should anyone take anything you are saying as anything but unashamed lies?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

In terms of the US response, using the parlance of the titanic, where is trump? The ice berg doesn't exist, its a Chinese ice berg, people should bring their own lifejackets? Or perhaps just rearranging the deck chairs at this stage?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Because this is the exact same course that he has travelled everytime he starts to fire people.

He retweets out something, seemingly open to interpretation, but it gets people talking. He tends states that he isn't going to fire them, its all fake news.

The media follow the story, and then after a time Trump claims that the person is terrible, the worst, probably deep state and that he would have got rid of them sooner (or never hired them) only for the MSM would have made it look worse then it is.

It is the same everytime so why are you refusing to see it for whaat it is? This is straight out of the Trump playbook. It is his way of flying a flag to see the reaction. He wants to gauge whether he would get support from GOP and Fox. If he does then he is free to get rid.

Its also a passive agressive way of letting the respective person that he can fire them and make them look terrible he wants.

So based on the reaction from the GOP and FOX what do you think Trump will do, fire or not fire?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

All Trump has done is play politics. All he has done is to try and blame others. Nothing positive from the man.

Utter nonsense and that narrative is precisely why the administration played the tape last night of the Governors expressing the opposite view of just how positive and responsive the current administration had been in their dealings with them.
    The US was massively under prepared when it came down to it and started off leagues behind every other first world country in terms of testing. How do you spin that?

Like Fauci said:
    "If you have an overwhelming pandemic, there’s almost no degree of preparedness that can prevent all the suffering and death. There are relative degrees of preparedness. And in that regard, [the U.S. leads] in the level of preparedness. But, obviously, as you can see [with] what is playing out right now, when you have something with the force of a pandemic, it appears that you are not well prepared.

"Take the clock back a decade or so. [You could have said] We have 12,700 ventilators in the strategic national stockpile. Why not put 100,000 in there? There would not have been any enthusiasm on anybody’s part to spend that much money to do that. Now, retrospectively, when you look back, you say, Oh my God, why didn’t we put 100,000 ventilators in there?

"It’s a dynamic situation, and people understandably want to know: Do we have enough? We don’t know. As more people require care and equipment, the system is stressed. So we have to do the best we possibly can.

As for testing, there were blocks in place from the Obama administration which needed to be removed and weren't foreseen. I know the left have largely dismissed that but it happens to be true:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/mar/23/dan-crenshaw/did-fda-regulations-slow-testing-coronavirus/

Absolutely, which is why the Corona Taskforce was set up so they could bring in measures which would slow the spread in other ways. If you think they did nothing but sit around during Feb and March you're misinformed and it's clear from the actions of the democrats during this time period that they didn't anticipate the virus hitting (particularly NY) so hard. Which is why we say DeBlasio on Twitter encouraging New Yorkers to go out and socialise in early March.

https://twitter.com/billdeblasio/status/1234648718714036229

And even the CDC agreed with him at the time. Sure Fauci was on TV saying Americans didn't need to change anything they were doing on Feb 29th. Not suggesting the US administration did a perfect job or anything close, but just that the constant ridicule suggesting they did no right is inappropriate. We were all blindsided by this and so would be nice if the criticism reflected that.

As of today, per capita (1m), the US actually has less deaths than we do given we've had 74 to their 72. Not that I feel the numbers always adequately reflect how good a job a Government has done, but they're a somewhat decent barometer of it.

Joe Biden is now under investigation for sexual assault of a woman back in 1993

Do you have a source for this? I can find stories regarding an accusation, but nothing on an investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Joe Biden is now under investigation for an alleged sexual assault of a woman back in 1993..
    Democratic party under pressure to respond appropriately due to their support of both the metoo and I believe her movements.

You'd think with all the people in America that they could find a couple of people who haven't been accused of sexual assault to run against each other!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,531 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So based on the reaction from the GOP and FOX what do you think Trump will do, fire or not fire?

No idea, but based on the reactions, he will feel emboldened that should he want to do it then he will be backed-up. So there is little collateral damage to him for making the decision.

And that he very different from the almost universal view of Fauci last week that he was doing great. Now there are plenty on board with the idea.

That is the point. He doesn't come out and say it. He will next come out with "there are people saying he should be fired" line, immediately followed by "but not me, I haven't even thought about it".

• Advertisement

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    You'd think with all the people in America that they could find a couple of people who haven't been accused of sexual assault to run against each other!

Or weren't over 70 :pac:.

Advertisement