Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

joe40 wrote:
    My understanding, and you could correct if I'm wrong but a positive test won't influence treatment. There is no cure for the actual virus the medic treat the symptoms. If they're not serious you just stay at home and self isolate.
    Exactly right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Redeploying up to 16,000 SNAs back out to work to free up other workers, surely this is a terrible idea and will spread the virus, particularly if said SNAs are sent to work in care home or elderly care.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,915 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

This is just an observation,

There appears to be moderators a plenty posting on this thread, must be a free for all on other parts of the forum like the parents are away for the weekend!!!!
    :)

Yeah you'd think...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Ace2007 wrote: »
    But one poster is saying you self isolate them on entry - i.e. you don't give them a choice - arrive in Dublin airport - straight to hotel and you can't leave -

The way your saying above - is that way it is at the moment.

This is needed at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

There would be uproar in society - because you can't just lockdown people for large period of time with no end in sight and expect them to be ok with it. Everything has to be done in stages.

I feel the same way, i believ they know exactly what measure they will introduce and when in small steps to get people to adjust gradually to it.

If they had comeout two weeks ago and said all pubs, restaurants, gyms, public spaces and gatherings of more than four people are coming in tomorrow,it would have received a backlash.

But i do think they can move faster

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

Ah the old hindsight is great line.

It was a dumb excuse 3 weeks ago and its still a dumb excuse used by FG and their base.

That was the first case in the entire country and you think the response should have been perfect, just like it was all over europe, the middle East and the states. You could do with chilling out. You'll give yourself an ulcer.

gabeeg wrote: »
    The terrible travel advice for Cheltenham and elsewhere will lead to many Irish infections and deaths.

Sorry if that upsets you, but it's fact.

This was here long before Cheltenham. It is not the fault of any racegoer, skier, concert goer, pub drinker or anyone else, and we have to stop blaming each other and get united to beat this.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

But one poster is saying you self isolate them on entry - i.e. you don't give them a choice - arrive in Dublin airport - straight to hotel and you can't leave -

The way your saying above - is that way it is at the moment.

STB. wrote: »
    And you are still posting.

Oh they are cumulative, infact the numbers have been accumulating, since day 1. They are live beds taken up at any one time. And they don't turn around quickly. Right now its 84 being cared for. It is the one figure that concentrates the mind, because when we breach the ICU capacity we are in trouble, the system is overwhelmed and there will be decisions about who gets critical care.

And I quoted the numbers to you and how they have accumulated. They went up as high as 88 yesterday. 88 people in ICU being treated for a critical condition. Then they went down to 84. Why was that ? 10 people died, and more were admitted to ICU.

I'm not explaining it to you again, because if you didn't get it the 5th time I explained it you, you should go back and study very basic maths. I suggest primary school level.

Hospitalisation ? You see there's another can of worms you don't understand either.

When people are hospitalised for Covid19, it was done for observation and isolation in mild cases. Some of these may have deteriorated and then ended up in ICU. However, there are also patients who haven't even been tested showing up in a bad day having followed the governments advice to self isolate and contact a GP if showing symptoms to get a test. Some have waited so long, the test became irrelevant and are now presenting in a bad way directly at ICU's, because they cannot breathe.

That's why the ICU numbers shot up from 17 to 47 almost tripled between 20th and 24th March.

YOU ARE W R O N G.

I await hearing how you are going to ignore the facts below?

To put this to bed once and for all here is all the proof you need

https://twitter.com/hpscireland/status/1245338278901014529?s=19

• Advertisement

frillyleaf wrote: »

we are not trying to stop this thing. We are just trying to manage its spread and ensue that it is an optimum level for the ICU units to handle. The fact is that, absent a vaccine, everyone is going to get this thing.

IMO, the trajectory that we are on looks like it might be as close to optimal as we can expect. I dont see the point in further restrictions at this stage.

Your alternative is that we shut everything down until we get a vaccine. Well, that just isnt going to happen, and I really think that the airports are not a big deal any more

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

paw patrol wrote: »
    have they?
    the testing process is a sham. They could have acted sooner on foreign travel etc.. they didn't. They acted in the interest of business in particular the insurance industry.

They are managing the optics well , and managing the mood and expectations very well with good speeches etc...wheeling out Dr. Holohan etc.. which is positive.

We'll see when the dust settles how successful or correct they were

When you make decision in life, you make them with the information you have at hand, and you hope that the outcome is right - but it's not always that simple - life throws up unexpected sh!t and you have to deal with it. You can't say if we have 500 deaths or 2,000 deaths that it was a success or failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,615 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I don't get the ambiguity around the numbers admitted to ICU.

Most other countries are upfront about the numbers who are actually in and have been admitted to ICU over the previous 24 hours.

Giving a cumulative figure for the whole COVID-19 period gives zero context and is irrelevant to the here and now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I dont recall saying we were processing 5k a day. Some other posters here did. It was planned to provide that many tests a day by the end of April, up until these shortages occured.

But you are just determined to call the service a disaster no matter what the numbers are.

I don't think I said disaster (maybe I did) but I may have said incompetent. I think at some stages the HSE reaction has been incompetent and I also think they have done some good work. They are better than many but not as good as many other. The one thing they could do is actually tell it like it is, that is pretty simple unless you are trying to spin and hide. The HSE are not know for their transparency and we can see that unfolding now.

In a few of your posts you relayed incorrect testing numbers, they always erred on the exaggerated figures that were being spun by the HSE and others.

I cant remember your exact words but you said something to the effect that RTE had reported that about 5,000 tests are being carried out a day in labs,

I don't think you supported that with any link but you posted it anyway. If you are to remain credible I think its a good idea to check your sources.
    You say you are involved in science surely you should be aware that checking facts is crucial, you could call it scientific even.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I posted this late last night which probably wasn't a great time to get many responses.

Who/what circumstances are the people NOW getting infected?
    So, basic enough question!

Right now, and I know we are behind in the cases being identified now, but right now, where are people getting infected in general?

Supermarket seems reasonably unlikely with distancing (hopefully)

Shared lifts/buttons, keypads etc - again, with what people now know, hopefully not too much

Public transport - not very much going on any more and people still working would hopefully be distancing on the transport mechanisms

Apartment blocks - people walking by each other - hopefully distancing

So where do people think the cases that we see in 2 weeks will derive from?

Well this is exactly how we are going to slow it down,

Given the latest recommendation of healthcare workers not living together, I think it's fair to say a lot of cases are coming from treating those with the virus in hospitals, and the HSE are trying to avoid large numbers of healthcare workers getting sick at the one time.
    Good point.

Still plenty of people going to work so this will be a driver. Only takes one person in an office to have it then the people they spread it to bring it home and infect their whole household.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

New Home wrote: »
    Belfast is still ABROAD.

Simple: you come back from abroad? You don't move from your house for a fortnight. Not for shopping, not for any other reason. If you need a doctor or supplies you ring someone. It's not foolproof and it does need to be monitored, but it would have been a simple, valid way to contain the spread. Nobody can stop the virus, but they sure as hell can slow its spread right down.

The resident SF fans, and criticisers of all things current government won’t know what to do with this...slating the government is worthy of a thank, but calling Belfast “abroad” :eek:

I don't get the ambiguity around the numbers admitted to ICU.

Most other countries are upfront about the numbers who are actually in and have been admitted to ICU over the previous 24 hours.

Giving a cumulative figure for the whole COVID-19 period gives zero context and is irrelevant to the here and now.

Just to point out just because I have been arguing that the numbers are cumulative does not mean I agree with giving cumulative numbers. We should be given current numbers.

Dumb question. If you get Covid-19 and have recovered can you still spread the virus via hands etc.?

fritzelly wrote: »
    Anything to say Nox?

Yes, look at the latest update with confirmation directly from the HSE.
    To put this to bed once and for all here is all the proof you need

https://twitter.com/hpscireland/status/1245338278901014529?s=19

Dumb question. If you get Covid-19 and have recovered can you still spread the virus via hands etc.?

Have to say yes. The virus is on your hands and you are spreading it. Nothing to do with you as a person having contracted the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

If the press conference (I can't bring myself to call it 'presser' it's like knobs who call Croke Park 'Croker') starts at 5.30 sharp, Ronan is after Tony's job ;)

I betya the German press conference starts on time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

we are not trying to stop this thing. We are just trying to manage its spread and ensue that it is an optimum level for the ICU units to handle. The fact is that, absent a vaccine, everyone is going to get this thing.

IMO, the trajectory that we are on looks like it might be as close to optimal as we can expect. I dont see the point in further restrictions at this stage.

Your alternative is that we shut everything down until we get a vaccine. Well, that just isnt going to happen, and I really think that the airports are not a big deal any more

We have another week until the ICUs reach optimal capacity. What then?

Bearing in mind a vaccine is at least a year away.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Anything to say Nox?

In fairness, he has accepted and acknowledged the facts that have now been provided.

In fairness, he has accepted and acknowledged the facts that have now been provided.

The facts being that the numbers are cumulative. This should be the end of this now, the debate is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

When you make decision in life, you make them with the information you have at hand, and you hope that the outcome is right - but it's not always that simple - life throws up unexpected sh!t and you have to deal with it. You can't say if we have 500 deaths or 2,000 deaths that it was a success or failure.

agreed.

But we all knew that north Italy was poxed yet the skiers and tourists were out there. You'd be thick not to think given the type of event Cheltenham was not to consider it would cause mass infections on the return of the rabble who went.
    etc....etc....

There was little if any pre-emptive decisions at the time only reactionary.

Of course, they have made good decisions, i'm trying to be fair.

But let's not beatify them yet - was only a few months ago people wanted Dr. Holohans head on a spike and FG were given a kicking in an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Yes even if you are immune you will still pick up the virus on your skin and can pass it to other people's hands or objects. I dont think its a stupid question at all, I would say a lot of people will fall into the trap of thinking they have no responsibiltiy to do any hand washing etc after they recover as they think they are not capable of spreading it because they can no longer catch it

A different topic but I also think a lot of people will mistakenly think that because they went to get tested for COVID once because they had symptoms and it turned out they didnt have it and tested negative and then they think that they will never get it now even though their chances of contracting it are still the exact same as before they got tested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

We have another week until the ICUs reach optimal capacity. What then?

Bearing in mind a vaccine is at least a year away.

We do not know when the ICUs will reach optimal capacity, that is guess work on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭kingshankly

This day next week Uk will have some scary figures

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

Have to say yes. The virus is on your hands and you are spreading it. Nothing to do with you as a person having contracted the virus.

Apparently you can also spread the disease for up to 8 days after symptoms subside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Clarification needed there with that statement - do you spread it because you are still affected with the virus, or if you come in contact with it from another source, you can pick it up and deposit it, just like anyone else?

I would hope it's the latter and not that you become a super spreader after you clear the symptoms of infection.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement