Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I don't get the ambiguity around the numbers admitted to ICU.

Most other countries are upfront about the numbers who are actually in and have been admitted to ICU over the previous 24 hours.

Giving a cumulative figure for the whole COVID-19 period gives zero context and is irrelevant to the here and now.

Yeah imagine trying to run a hotel like that.

What we need is, how many are checked in this afternoon, ie were here since yesterday and won't be checked out before tomorrow.

How many beds are in the system (this will vary as you need to exclude other ICU patients)

How many checked out today

How many of those that checked out died

How many checked in today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭weisses

otnomart wrote: »
    the Netherlands are still going for herd immunity:

Lockdown unnecessary - says health agency
    "as long as people stick to the current measures - keep 1.5 meters apart, don't go outside if you're sick, wash your hands regularly, and avoid touching your face. "
    https://nltimes.nl/2020/04/01/covid-19-curve-flattening-lockdown-unnecessary-says-health-agency

this with:

1,152 patients currently treated in ICUs

total number of deaths is now 1,173

Stop spouting nonsense ... The country is effectively in a lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

We have another week until the ICUs reach optimal capacity. What then?

Bearing in mind a vaccine is at least a year away.

I think we'll end up in a situation where, when we are happy with say a 2 or 3 week period of sustained ICU headroom, we'll relax the lock down and see what happens. If we use up the head room, we'll lock down again.

Until a vaccine comes along, the vulnerable are in permanently lockdown. Crap for them.

threeball wrote: »
    Apparently you can also spread the disease for up to 8 days after symptoms subside.

Yet in the UK Charles and BoJo were both out of isolation 7 days after diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,615 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The cumulative figures does give contract to the here and now. It allows us to understand the likelihood of being admitted to ICU if you contract the virus. It would also be useful to have the figures for the people currently in ICU.

It may be useful for policy setters within the HSE.

It's of no value at all to the public. What the public wants and has a right to know is the pressure right now.

We don't know how many people are in ICU right now.

Every other country is able to provide snapshot figures on ICU. There is a holding back of information in this country on several levels compared to our peers.

• Advertisement

Doctors will triage people on chances of survival, the weakest will be sedated and left to die or survive without a lot of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

563 new deaths in UK today. Horrific numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Down9194

I don't get the ambiguity around the numbers admitted to ICU.

Most other countries are upfront about the numbers who are actually in and have been admitted to ICU over the previous 24 hours.

Giving a cumulative figure for the whole COVID-19 period gives zero context and is irrelevant to the here and now.

It may be irrelevant but I think they were playing with numbers to keep people away from hospital and perhaps to put pressure on private hospitals as this has only come to light after private hospital signed up

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭weisses

fullstop wrote: »
    Cue pandemonium in here when it hasn’t started and the clock says 5:31pm. “How hard is it to start on time ffs”.

Why cant they do it on a set time every day??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

This day next week Uk will have some scary figures

563 dead today pretty big jump.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,615 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Naggdefy wrote: »
    If the press conference (I can't bring myself to call it 'presser' it's like knobs who call Croke Park 'Croker') starts at 5.30 sharp, Ronan is after Tony's job ;)

I betya the German press conference starts on time :D

Will a journalist please ask these questions...

How many are in ICU right now as of today? Why have you not been providing these figures? Will you provide these figures from now on like other countries?

They never seem to ask these questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

EDit wrote: »
    563 new deaths in UK today. Horrific numbers.

Over 600,000 people die in the UK every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,392 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Clarification needed there with that statement - do you spread it because you are still affected with the virus, or if you come in contact with it from another source, you can pick it up and deposit it, just like anyone else?

I would hope it's the latter and not that you become a super spreader after you clear the symptoms of infection.

If you have fully recovered from the virus, then you cannot spread it, as it is no longer in your system.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Dumb question. If you get Covid-19 and have recovered can you still spread the virus via hands etc.?

Unfortunately yes. If you shake hands with someone after for example putting your hand on a surface where its present or touching your face, then kissing someone, and so on. Continue to wash your hands regularly, avoid handshakes and the likes. Basically act like you still have it. Good hygiene is required by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

And this year it's going to be much higher

what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Will a journalist please ask these questions...

How many are in ICU right now as of today? Why have you not been providing these figures? Will you provide these figures from now on like other countries?

They never seem to ask these questions.

Any time they have asked for numbers for a lot f things the usual answer was I don't have them

Bearing in mind a vaccine is at least a year away.

Yes, a vaccine is probably a year away, but hopefully before that we will have a stop gap solution in the form of antiviral drugs etc to mitigate symptoms & cut the numbers needed to go into ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yes, look at the latest update with confirmation directly from the HSE.

They are contradicting themselves and between departments

https://mobile.twitter.com/IDSIreland/status/1245278654164283396

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

So, what’s your point? That those 563 deaths don’t matter?

Dumb question. If you get Covid-19 and have recovered can you still spread the virus via hands etc.?

You can pick up droplets from surfaces / other people and transport else where, that's why if you've had it, no mask required, but gloves / hand washing still very important

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,392 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Unfortunately yes. If you shake hands with someone after for example putting your hand on a surface where its present or touching your face, then kissing someone, and so on. Continue to wash your hands regularly, avoid handshakes and the likes. Basically act like you still have it. Good hygiene is required by all.

I think the poster is asking if they can still transmit the virus from internally, if they have already recovered (and the answer is no, as the virus is no longer in their system).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

fritzelly wrote: »
    They are contradicting themselves and between departments

https://mobile.twitter.com/IDSIreland/status/1245278654164283396

it is pretty unbelievable that after a few weeks of this the HSE cannot present coherent figures. they are either being deliberately obstructive or are incompetent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

My Daily routine:

7 am Wake UP Breakfast.

7:30 AM Coronavirus China/Asia analysis

11:00 AM Exercise

1:00 PM Lunch

2:00 UK updates

3-5 PM Coronavirus research

5PM: Italy updates

5:45 PM Irish updates

9:00 PM USA/Trump Speech

10:30 PM Look at the World wide numbers

11PM Sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

We do not know when the ICUs will reach optimal capacity, that is guess work on your part.

Its a reasonable estimate based on daily numbers going into ICU.

And bearing in mind ICU is also required for other conditions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

easypazz wrote: »
    Yet in the UK Charles and BoJo were both out of isolation 7 days after diagnosis.

Johnson is still in isolation or should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

In a few of your posts you relayed incorrect testing numbers, they always erred on the exaggerated figures that were being spun by the HSE and others.
    I always posted approximate figures. I always denoted that by putting ~ in front of them.

Your whole stand point is that exact figures weren't being reported but you're having a go at me for not knowing exact numbers.
    I cant remember your exact words but you said something to the effect that RTE had reported that about 5,000 tests are being carried out a day in labs,
    I don't think you supported that with any link but you posted it anyway. If you are to remain credible I think its a good idea to check your sources. You say you are involved in science surely you should be aware that checking facts is crucial, you could call it scientific even.
    You're putting words in my mouth and twisting it.

Prove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

So 1,640 approx daily. 563 over and above that is shocking.

Imagine a plane crashed or a ship sank with that number killed. And just one day and replicated all over the world..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Steep acceleration for the UK at this point, catching the other worms after being behind.

507866.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The other problem as IDS Ireland said is the amount of time patients stay in ICU
    https://twitter.com/IDSIreland/status/1245303054649503746?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

it is pretty unbelievable that after a few weeks of this the HSE cannot present coherent figures. they are either being deliberately obstructive or are incompetent.

A few days ago Leo said ICU would be full within a few days (was he getting confused over the number) , that wouldn't make sense if cumulative unless no-one has left ICU which is unlikely thru recoveries/deaths

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement