Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

It’s not necessarily about the number in ICU....It’s about the number in ICU v ICU capacity. and I don’t know that for Holland

If we had unlimited ICU beds then there would have been no need to us to take any measures. No need to ‘flatten the curve’ at all

https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/19/intensive-care-expects-500-1000-coronavirus-patients-next-week
    Netherlands took recent measures to increase national ICU bed capacity to 1500. So it is still not at capacity but probably will be within 4-5 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Danzy wrote: »
    There are some real knob heads out there.

No fan of Fg or leo but himself and Harris etc. have really delivered.

A month ago I couldn't stomach Harris's voice another day, now I couldn't think of anybody else doing the job.

Imagine Louise O'Reilly dealing with this.

It would be an absolute disaster if SF were leading this right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

How have they delivered? I don't have time to go through their long list of failures before and during the covid19 outbreak.

They're big claim is we have ramped up testing.

It takes 9 days to get a covid19 test result. Front line medical staff have been stuck at home for almost two weeks waiting for results.

How is this delivering?
    If you're at home for two weeks you're in the clear. You also seem to be completely blind to the issue of shortages but tell you what, the next time we hit something like this I'll vote for you no problem and we'll be in perfect hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

How have they delivered? I don't have time to go through their long list of failures before and during the covid19 outbreak.

Their big claim is they have ramped up testing.

It takes 9 days to get a covid19 test result. Front line medical staff have been stuck at home for almost two weeks waiting for results.

How is this delivering?

They tested more people per capita in the world. Problem is they tested the wrong people, non healthcare staff and hypochondriacs. They wasted thousands of tests and now they've run out of reagents to test those who need to be tested. A complete farce.

I don't have time either. I have to drop ppe I paid for, had delivered from China, into the public health nurses who don't have them, they were hard to get, have been for months and globally so.

I'll leave you to list the failures and lament the perfect world we would have if you could fix everything and life didn't get in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

+563 deaths in the UK in the past 24 hours (Sky News)

Total deaths 2,352

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭threeball

How is this delivering?

They tested more people per capita in the world. Problem is they tested the wrong people, non healthcare staff and hypochondriacs. They wasted thousands of tests and now they've run out of reagents to test those who need to be tested. A complete farce.

Uk is out of reagents and also at capacity. The only country not at capacity is germany because they are a hub for manufacturing the equipment used in the testing.

I love how people cherry pick all the best systems in the world and assume we should automatically have them but dont want to pay for them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

New Home wrote: »
    Belfast is still ABROAD.

Simple: you come back from abroad? You don't move from your house for a fortnight. Not for shopping, not for any other reason. If you need a doctor or supplies you ring someone. It's not foolproof and it does need to be monitored, but it would have been a simple, valid way to contain the spread. Nobody can stop the virus, but they sure as hell can slow its spread right down.

But one poster is saying you self isolate them on entry - i.e. you don't give them a choice - arrive in Dublin airport - straight to hotel and you can't leave -

The way your saying above - is that way it is at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

A difficult day for Wales, recording 29 deaths today:

https://covid19-phwstatement.nhs.wales

That's pretty tough, population of 3 million, it a big number.

shocksy wrote: »

Total deaths 2,352

Well, the UK is sure on the curve now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Total deaths 2,352

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

How is this delivering?

Well the WHO says test test test. However yes it is incompetent to Swab swab swab if you can’t actually do the testing in the lab. In that scenario the testing must be more focused on particular symptoms which is what the HSE changed last week. Time will tell how competent/incompetent our govt and HSE were during this crisis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,598 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

103 new cases in Northern Ireland (+18%) and 2 deaths bringing their total cases to 689 and total deaths to 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Looks like no one told the U.K. manufacturers of re-agent about this shortage. They know nothing about it. Politician wouldn’t lie, would they??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Abroad means going on a ship, Belfast is not abroad, stop trying to wind people up.

That's daft.

So if someone get's a train or drives to China from Germany, then they haven't gone abroad?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Abroad means going on a ship, Belfast is not abroad, stop trying to wind people up.

Nope. Wrong. A French person goes to Germany = abroad. You might want to read this, it's quite enlightening:
    abroad[ uh-brawd ]

adverb
    1. in or to a foreign country or countries: famous at home and abroad.
    2. in or to another continent: Shall we go to Mexico or abroad this summer?
    3. out of doors; from one place to another; about: No one was abroad in the noonday heat. The owl ventures abroad at night.
    4. spread around; in circulation: Rumors of disaster are abroad.
    5. broadly; widely; far and wide.

noun
    1. a foreign land or lands: imports from abroad.

Source.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

https://www.newstalk.com/news/dr-tony-holohan-undergoing-tests-hospital-992886

Ireland's Chief Medical Officer Tony Holohan is in hospital undergoing tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Growth in deaths in UK looking eerily similar to Italy already

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Well, from the account, they came straight home and went to the pub. Zero personal responsibility. Also, is there any evidence whatsoever that any of that crew had the virus?

Seems like no one in the country wants to the personal responsibility for anything. It's always the Goberment. Have we handled this well, probably not, but so far we seen to have managed better than most of western Europe

That is why people returning from Italy and Cheltenham should have been quarantined. It removes the personal responsibility as some people will not be responsible and put others in danger

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

threeball wrote: »
    Uk is out of reagents and also at capacity. The only country not at capacity is germany because they are a hub for manufacturing the equipment used in the testing.

I love how people cherry pick all the best systems in the world and assume we should automatically have them but dont want to pay for them
    A common feature of all of the threads is that there must be someone to blame or something to complain about. How well or badly it was done is a question for the post-crisis review.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Stheno wrote: »
    Wow

Well over 600 is said to be true figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,915 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

The poster seems to have been able to have a rough idea of the amount of total test done a day or two before the figures were announced, although they were out by about 3000 so I was wondering if they had some insight that we don't have. The 1500 mentioned at the press conference is slightly confusing as the official numbers released by the HSE say that an average per day for the last week is 1745.

I think you should look at the official figures rather than mindlessly believe what is written every four pages, weren't we putting 5000 test through the labs every day according to some poster here and anyone who suggest otherwise was trying to cause panic.

The 250 discrepancy would be due to the limited in-house testing done in some hospitals, which is restricted to testing of staff and some patients, If I recall correctly. 1500 is the current capacity of the national virology testing lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

With the lack of testing it is the ICU admissions and Death count that are key measures.

Very sad numbers from the UK. Seems their dithering for a week has cost hundreds or possibly thousands of lives.

Hopefully we were prompt enough to suppress our surge, but no doubt about it, during the next week there will be some sobering death numbers in Ireland also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Total deaths 2,352

Aye that's by far the most in one day, sadly.

To put this to bed once and for all here is all the proof you need

https://twitter.com/hpscireland/status/1245338278901014529?s=19

Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Ace2007 wrote: »
    But one poster is saying you self isolate them on entry - i.e. you don't give them a choice - arrive in Dublin airport - straight to hotel and you can't leave -

The way your saying above - is that way it is at the moment.

Right now, maybe - but not when the Cheltenham crowd came back.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

wakka12 wrote: »
    Sweden experiencing so much more deaths than other Scandinavian countries with harsher lockdowns
    Total in Sweden : 240 dead, ICU 400

Norway : 43 deaths.. ICU 100
    Finland : 17 deaths.. ICU 100

Sweden is about twice the population of them but still
    Population density ?

Stockholm 4.8/sq km
    Helsinki 3.0/sq km

Also Helsinki has expanded dramatically in last 5 years, read v.favourable reports on quality of building programme.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Total deaths 2,352

And that's probably underestimated by a considerable amount.

As of just over a week ago the death figures being published were under-reported by 24% due to a failure to include deaths outside a hospital setting.

Despite government insisting that they would adjust their statistics to include all deaths, they still only report on hospital deaths in order to manipulate the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

easypazz wrote: »
    This. With the benefit of hindsight all these people are looking back and saying Leo should have done X / Y Z differently.

I'd say it is killing the shinners that FG are doing a reasonable job at this.

In fairness at the time a lot of people had issues with government allowing people to fly to and from northern Italy and Cheltenham. The match had already been called off over here and people were still going to Cheltenham despite this. It’s not hindsight in that sense....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

easypazz wrote: »
    A month ago I couldn't stomach Harris's voice another day, now I couldn't think of anybody else doing the job.

Imagine Louise O'Reilly dealing with this.

It would be an absolute disaster if SF were leading this right now.

I'm very happy with fine Gael handling of this situation, but they are taking the lead from the medics (to their credit)
    That is the right approach, but I think most of our political parties would do the same.
    By enlarge the opposition parties are giving the government space and support to get on with things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

is_that_so wrote: »
    If you're at home for two weeks you're in the clear. You also seem to be completely blind to the issue of shortages but tell you what, the next time we hit something like this I'll vote for you no problem and we'll be in perfect hands!

The first line is absolute nonsense. If you self quarantine for 2 weeks without getting tested you've no idea if you had it or not, you could leave your house and contract it from the car and head back into work spreading it all around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement