Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

https://www.newstalk.com/news/dr-tony-holohan-undergoing-tests-hospital-992886

Ireland's Chief Medical Officer Tony Holohan is in hospital undergoing tests.

Feel like we'll be hearing this for next 12 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

easypazz wrote: »
    A month ago I couldn't stomach Harris's voice another day, now I couldn't think of anybody else doing the job.

Imagine Louise O'Reilly dealing with this.

It would be an absolute disaster if SF were leading this right now.

Of course you couldn't :rolleyes:

I don't think FG bots are helping their cause.

When this is all over there will be need for an investigation into all the mistakes FG have made and continue to make and how their mistakes gave covid19 a massive leg up when it came to spreading infections here.

Even today they haven't the cop on to realise you can't break the cycle of new infections if you keep introducing them from outside the country.

And as for a disclaimer I am not a SF, FF, GP or any political party supporter. I'm fairly sure they'd all be as bad in government, given the extremely shallow gene pool they are pulling from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Sonics2k wrote: »
    That's daft.

So if someone get's a train or drives to China from Germany, then they haven't gone abroad?

We are referring to living on a small island, which is partitioned due to historical differences.

But you knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

threeball wrote: »
    Uk is out of reagents and also at capacity. The only country not at capacity is germany because they are a hub for manufacturing the equipment used in the testing.

I love how people cherry pick all the best systems in the world and assume we should automatically have them but dont want to pay for them

The companies who make reagent have completely debunked this. They have said that there is no shortage of the relevant reagents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭threeball

is_that_so wrote: »
    A common feature of all of the threads is that there must be someone to blame or something to complain about. How well or badly it was done is a question for the post-crisis review.

Amazingly people never point the finger at themselves. As soon as an government tries to tackle any problem all the lobbying groups and unions are up in arms with people shouting "you can't do dat". So they dont and people bitch that did nothing about it. This country is particularly bad for people who want everything while conceding nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭JPCN1

This. With the benefit of hindsight all these people are looking back and saying Leo should have done X / Y Z differently.

I'd say it is killing the shinners that FG are doing a reasonable job at this.

To be fair to the Shinners, Belfast has long been one of the world leaders in Trauma surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I ask because testing testing testing is what has been stressed by the WHO. It means we can tell the difference between a cold and covid. It means we can get front line staff back to work instead of sitting at home waiting for quarantine to end.It means we can target people who have the virus early with drugs and treatment and leave those with a cold to recover.

As a scientist you should really know that but then again you were reporting last week that 5000 tests per day were going through the labs so maybe your knowledge is restricted to repeating good news spin from uninformed sources.

Every number I post is from HSE sources you seem to be posting unverified information and always spinning it to say that the HSE are doing more tests than they are. Do you work for the HSE or something?
    I dont recall saying we were processing 5k a day. Some other posters here did. It was planned to provide that many tests a day by the end of April, up until these shortages occured.

How can we "test test test" without the necessary reagents.

Its like everyone looking for hand sanitiser. You assume it'll be there when you need it. You assume the suppliers will keep up with demand until they can't.

Everyone has demand for the same thing. And we will have to wait until they can produce more.

But you are just determined to call the service a disaster no matter what the numbers are.

I dont know why you are so obsessed with test numbers when all experts are saying the numbers that matter are the ICU capacities and deaths.

Test numbers are of importance for determining the spread. Contract tracing now estimates the number of contacts per case is now down to 3. It was 20. Social distancing is working.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭tigger123

When this is all over there will be need for an investigation into all the mistakes FG have made and continue to make and how their mistakes gave covid19 a massive leg up when it came to spreading infections here.

Even today they haven't the cop on to realise you can't break the cycle of new infections if you keep introducing them from outside the country.

And as for a disclaimer I am not a SF, FF, GP or any political party supporter. I'm fairly sure they'd all be as bad in government, given the shallow gene pool they are all pulling from.

Just because they're not doing what you think they should do, doesn't meant they're doing it wrong.

They're listening to medical experts. That's good enough for me.

If governments start listening to the internet for what to do next, we're ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Looks like no one told the U.K. manufacturers of re-agent about this shortage. They know nothing about it. Politician wouldn’t lie, would they??
    Do a search for reagent shortage, plenty of other examples out there. This is Harris from this morning on it.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/harris-number-critical-coronavirus-cases-worry-us-992669

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,345 ✭✭✭BrianD3

To put this to bed once and for all here is all the proof you need

https://twitter.com/hpscireland/status/1245338278901014529?s=19
    Thanks, that seems to be clarified now. Fair play to Gavan Reilly for chasing this. Earlier on, he posted a tweet saying the HSE had clarified that it was a current figure. But now at least there is a tweet from the horse's mouth.

There was an individual on this forum yesterday who was adamant that it was a current figure and was explaining to me like I'm a child that ICU is for serious cases while telling other posters that they need to go back to school. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Today's press conference lead by Dr Ronan Glynn is at 5:30pm

Cue pandemonium in here when it hasn’t started and the clock says 5:31pm. “How hard is it to start on time ffs”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

And as for a disclaimer I am not a SF, FF, GP or any political party supporter. I'm fairly sure they'd all be as bad in government, given the extremely shallow gene pool they are pulling from.

Nonsense, Irish people still need to get home, very few arriving in now anyway, and they are required to self isolate for 14 days.

frillyleaf wrote: »
    In fairness at the time a lot of people had issues with government allowing people to fly to and from northern Italy and Cheltenham. The match had already been called off over here and people were still going to Cheltenham despite this. It’s not hindsight in that sense....

Your right, it's not hindsight in that sense, but it's like talking about the next recession, we all know it's coming, but do you know how bad it will be? You can have posters galore saying that we are going to be in the Sh!ts for years, others saying months, others saying whatever, some of them are going to be right, but that doesn't mean their logic for solutions are right does it?

Imagine if Leo came out tonight and announced that all healthcare works must sleep in hotels near their hospitals/nursing homes - and must do this for the next 2 months - no exceptions.

Everyone else must continue with this "lockdown" for the next 2 months at least.

There would be uproar in society - because you can't just lockdown people for large period of time with no end in sight and expect them to be ok with it. Everything has to be done in stages.

fullstop wrote: »
    Cue pandemonium in here when it hasn’t started and the clock says 5:31pm. “How hard is it to start on time ffs”.

Only to be followed by wheres Dr Tony, does he have the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

This is just an observation,

There appears to be moderators a plenty posting on this thread, must be a free for all on other parts of the forum like the parents are away for the weekend!!!!
    :)

tigger123 wrote: »
    Just because they're not doing what you think they should do, doesn't meant they're doing it wrong.

They're listening to medical experts. That's good enough for me.

If governments start listening to the internet for what to do next, we're ****ed.

Their medical experts advised a doctor who returned from Northern Italy that it was ok to go to work in a hospital as there was nothing to worry about. He turned out to be covid 19 positive. That's just one example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,818 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ace2007 wrote: »
    What i don't get is why everything that happens in this country people blame the government. No one ever thinks maybe they are doing all that they can, they can't stop the virus - no country has.

When bad things happen to a child they often try to blame or give out to someone else.
    As we grow older, most of us learn to take responsibility for our own actions and to realise that some things are not anyone's 'fault'.
    Some people just never make that transition unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Today's press conference lead by Dr Ronan Glynn is at 5:30pm
    What time is the presser today??

The first line is absolute nonsense. If you self quarantine for 2 weeks without getting tested you've no idea if you had it or not, you could leave your house and contract it from the car and head back into work spreading it all around.
    Well this is the message from the CMO and you should take it up with him when he gets out of hospital. Contract it in your car? How does that work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

is_that_so wrote: »
    Do a search for reagent shortage, plenty of other examples out there. This is Harris from this morning on it.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/harris-number-critical-coronavirus-cases-worry-us-992669

The people who LITERALLY MAKE IT have said there is no shortage. What possible reason would they have to lie?

What government has ? China are constantly reporting imported cases - so even they aren't stopping people entering.

I've actually read a lot of your posts, and in agreement with a good few, i just don't get the constant attacking of the government who have all the medical experts given them the advice, quite frankly even if Mary Lou was in charge the advice would be the same -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The companies who make reagent have completely debunked this. They have said that there is no shortage of the relevant reagents.
    Are you basing that on a tweet that was posted here yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I dont recall saying we were processing 5k a day. Some other posters here did. It was planned to provide that many tests a day by the end of April, up until these shortages occured.

How can we "test test test" without the necessary reagents.

Its like everyone looking for hand sanitiser. You assume it'll be there when you need it. You assume the suppliers will keep up with demand until they can't.

Everyone has demand for the same thing. And we will have to wait until they can produce more.

But you are just determined to call the service a disaster no matter what the numbers are.

I dont know why you are so obsessed with test numbers when all experts are saying the numbers that matter are the ICU capacities and deaths.

Test numbers are of importance for determining the spread. Contract tracing now estimates the number of contacts per case is now down to 3. It was 20. Social distancing is working.

My understanding, and you could correct if I'm wrong but a positive test won't influence treatment. There is no cure for the actual virus the medic treat the symptoms. If they're not serious you just stay at home and self isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

This is just an observation,

There appears to be moderators a plenty posting on this thread, must be a free for all on other parts of the forum like the parents are away for the weekend!!!!
    :)

That feckin Beasty don't miss much.

Their medical experts advised a doctor who returned from Northern Italy that it was ok to go to work in a hospital as there was nothing to worry about. He turned out to be covid 19 positive. That's just one example.

You think thats unique to ireland or just a learning process when dealing with a disease no one knew anything about? Hindsight is great

Nonsense, Irish people still need to get home, very few arriving in now anyway, and they are required to self isolate for 14 days.

So you know they are self isolating?

Isolating with their own family is pointless if they are infected. They spread it to their family who then spread it in the community. And then the government have to extend the lockdown, over and over.

The people who LITERALLY MAKE IT have said there is no shortage. What possible reason would they have to lie?
    This was also stated at the DoH briefing last night. Are they lying too?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Danzy wrote: »
    There are some real knob heads out there.

No fan of Fg or leo but himself and Harris etc. have really delivered.

have they?
    the testing process is a sham. They could have acted sooner on foreign travel etc.. they didn't. They acted in the interest of business in particular the insurance industry.

They are managing the optics well , and managing the mood and expectations very well with good speeches etc...wheeling out Dr. Holohan etc.. which is positive.

We'll see when the dust settles how successful or correct they were

• Advertisement

threeball wrote: »
    You think thats unique to ireland or just a learning process when dealing with a disease no one knew anything about? Hindsight is great

Ah the old hindsight is great line.

It was a dumb excuse 3 weeks ago and its still a dumb excuse used by FG and their base.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement