Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Roger_007 wrote: »
    I understood that that people in the at-risk groups are being told not to go outside except for a ‘brief‘ period of exercise...........just like you would get in prison.

There being advised , in prison you don't have a choice

If you think being asked to stay at home with loved one's or even on your own is anything like prison your sorely mistake ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Who will get the antibody testing first...nurse who thinks she might have had virus and recovered, or dickhead of to Amsterdam for a festival. Antibody testing may start next month or in may, but for example, UK have ordered 3.5m kits.

In my view,

• first: medical staff,
    • second: those working in those sectors deemed essential by the Gov. They are still working, but they are now most at risk: supermarket staff, police, workers in medical industry, hauliers...
    • then: those working in other sectors

the purpose is to get as many as possible back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Easyjet have grounded ALL of their flights this morning. I suspect many other airlines will be doing the same this week.

About time and yes other airlines need to follow suit. By all means continue cargo flights. But you don't stick cargo flights up on your public website. It looks bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

and thanks to phone technology, an awful lot of those folks are on Facebook, Facetime, Whatsapp etc. and are able to video call their grandchildren.

In an odd way, because of the isolation measures, they're probably EVEN MORE in contact with their grandkids than before. I can only speak for myself, but that's happening with my wider family.

True for some, the area of north county Dublin beside the airport, that my dad lives in still doesn't have BB infrastructure and is an amber zone, so he is just relying on basic phone and sms.

My sister lives across the road from him, so she's able to get shopping for him, so he's sorted that way.

I would have called up to him every second weekend, and he was down helping with a few projects around the house.

As for my father in law, he misses going out with his motorcycle club but understands that it's necessary not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

I find this terribly sad: https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/german-minister-commits-suicide-after-virus-crisis-worries/

A german finance minister died by suicide with worry over how to cope with the financial fall out of Coronavirus.

I think no matter what your political affiliation is, this man should be kept in mind when people try to lay into politicians at the moment. And when other politicians try to lay into each other.

They have a mental health to maintain just like everyone else. We have absolutely no idea how vulnerable any of them are mentally, as it's not our business. Just like everyone else, the brain does not work as efficiently in terms of decision making, abstract thought and logical thinking when confronted with a threat.

I'd be hugely concerned for frontline staff also. The shared trauma of this is going to have far reaching consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

wakka12 wrote: »

It could be a better way to go for a lot of people entering ICU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

MadYaker wrote: »
    You must not have heard of vaccines. You should google it.

I have

Vaccines won't be ready until then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

niallo27 wrote: »
    Is it good or bad news.

A bit of both really, we need to be doing so much more to emulate South Korea

I understood that that people in the at-risk groups are being told not to go outside except for a ‘brief‘ period of exercise...........just like you would get in prison.

Well you understood incorrectly nothing in the guidelines to say that they can't go out to their garden (if they have one) also nothing in the guidelines about them not seeing the light of day as you claimed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

We will have some horrific days to come here ,

There is no question the hospitals will be over run and large number people will die the goal is to make sure that lasts a week or two and not a month or two,

You'd have to imagine mid April will be the height of this and pray to god we don't have to many health workers having to sit out due to being infected, ITs so important for the peak we have as many of our hero's able to fight it,

I think we'll be OK tho. The governments own projection was at the peak 550 people would be in ICU. I've read that we will have close to 1000 beds between public and private so we would be able to cope. The good news is that that was with a projection of 800+ new cases being diagnosed a day around now. Yesterday we saw just 200. We wont see the chaos seen in other countries by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,162 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The Chinese will probably have a “vaccine” before the end of year I’m sure

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

The Swedish approach is much better in the long run. They are advising their people to behave sensibly and by and large, they are doing it. You just have to trust people.

Cast your mind back to the Thursday the schools were closed. The next night the pubs were hopping. You absolutely cannot trust people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

kyote00 wrote: »
    that you have never studied maxwells equations

I actually have you know but it wasn't during the course of biology studies, which leads me to believe that he wasnt a biologist

I seem to remember using calculus to determine the area within a graphically represented waveform too, in order to determine it's power

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

A bit of both really, we need to be doing so much more to emulate South Korea

We can nott emulate South Korea they planned for a break out since 2015, Impossible to expect to catch up on 5 years work in a couple of weeks in the middle of a world crisis ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Martina1991

MadYaker wrote:
    Yes, it’s known as serological testing. Widely in use already in China, Taiwan and South Korea. Not to be confused with the type of testing we’re currently doing here which tests for the virus itself not the antibodies.
    Where are you getting 6 weeks?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Newsflash ( via RTE) : Dominic "Herd Immunity" Cummings has the corona.

Jeez that worked well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Musefan wrote: »
    I find this terribly sad: https://www.euractiv.com/section/economy-jobs/news/german-minister-commits-suicide-after-virus-crisis-worries/

A german finance minister died by suicide with worry over how to cope with the financial fall out of Coronavirus.

I think no matter what your political affiliation is, this man should be kept in mind when people try to lay into politicians at the moment. And when other politicians try to lay into each other.

They have a mental health to maintain just like everyone else. We have absolutely no idea how vulnerable any of them are mentally, as it's not our business. Just like everyone else, the brain does not work as efficiently in terms of decision making, abstract thought and logical thinking when confronted with a threat.

I'd be hugely concerned for frontline staff also. The shared trauma of this is going to have far reaching consequences.

Had he left a note stating his reasons?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

plodder wrote: »
    The risk seems to be in the difficulty in keeping it out of hospitals and nursing homes particularly. I just don't see how we could avoid that.

I was thinking about this in terms of antibody testing, which the UK is planning on ordering 17 million of if their testing this week shows them as effective. And their NHS volunteer army. They have about half a million volunteers signed up to help as auxiliary health care workers. They could test those volunteers for antibodies and anyone who shows immunity could be assigned to provide healthcare for vulnerable people. It would still require taking care to make sure the virus isn't carried in on an item or your clothing. But it would massively, massively reduce the risks in a care home or with care workers going to elderly people's homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

It's to protect THEM, It's a damn sight better than the alternative of catching the virus and shortening their lives by 10, 20 or more years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Spain has overtaken China in number of cases. The European Union has now confirmed around 400,000 cases and roughly 25,000 deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

None of my July or August flights have been cancelled and any events I’ve planned on attending are still making preparations as usual. When this all kicked off 3 weeks ago we knew the worst of it would be over May and that hasn’t changed yet.

Can I ask where you got the information that the worst would be over by May? I haven’t heard that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Musefan wrote: »

Very sad indeed it struck a personal cord with me,
    He left a wife and two kids behind.
    But it is not as clear cut as been posted in the articles,it seems the poor man had other problems related to his personal trans actions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭This is it

Stheno wrote: »
    Jeez that worked well

Well if the idea is he gets it and then becomes immune he's making a good start...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

There are a lot of misconceptions about how people in their 70's operate on a day to day basis like they are enfeebled and shuffling down the street or something. My folks travel to several countries every year, love to go for long walks in the countryside, read loads, go the cinema,theatre, meet their friends at coffee shops, live full and active lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

GooglePlus wrote: »

That would not be released to the general public as the case is still under investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

GooglePlus wrote: »

People who commit suicide very rarely leave a note. It's not like TV or the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

None of my July or August flights have been cancelled and any events I’ve planned on attending are still making preparations as usual. When this all kicked off 3 weeks ago we knew the worst of it would be over May and that hasn’t changed yet.

Who is 'we'?

How did you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Newsflash ( via RTE) : Dominic "Herd Immunity" Cummings has the corona.

Hopefully he recovers quickly. Wouldn't wish this disease on anyone.

• Advertisement

cloudatlas wrote: »
    There are a lot of misconceptions about how people in their 70's operate on a day to day basis like they are enfeebled and shuffling down the street or something. My folks travel to several countries every year, love to go for long walks in the countryside, read loads, go the cinema,theatre, meet their friends at coffee shops, live full and active lives.

exactly 100%. Mine have been using the new neighbours pool also the last few weeks and they haven't felt better..... :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement