Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Ardent

You'd have to imagine mid April will be the height of this...

Not a chance IMO. This thing is like a snowball rolling downhill, gathering size and pace. We'll be lucky if we peak end of April.

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

Question. If I am staying in my own home and self isolating, do I need to wash my hands constantly.

If you aren't leaving the house, no.

You wash your hands after you've been out or after you're received mail/packages.

Some things to remember. If you've touched your phone whilst out, wipe it clean once home.

Your house/car keys could be infected.

If you don't have taps with a lever that you can turn on/off with an elbow or wrist, then disinfect tap after use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    It still doesn't negate the fact that the governments worst case scenario suggested 500 people would be in ICU at the peak of this that is with a daily increase of 800 cases at this stage. We are at a quarter of that so that would suggest the numbers in ICU should be significantly lower than that so we should be well able to cope given the beds that are coming on stream over the next week or so.

Have all those people who are making up the daily death rate from Covid 19 been patients in ICU? Do we know if people are dying at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,922 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They probably have contracts that they can't get out of ,

Absolute nonsense. If a government - force majeure - tells a company to do something, any contract they signed becomes null and void. The German government stopped medical equipment from being exported from Germany, China and many other countries likewise.

The Irish government, for some bizarre reason, have decided to allow the export of critically needed resources. And equally bizarre is that i haven't noticed the media pulling them up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Notmything

is_that_so wrote: »
    They are told to self-isolate for 14 days. Why do you imagine people would choose to ignore that?

Tbf, my neighbours came home from England at the weekend. Were told to isolate for 14 days but have done anything but.
    Had a reunion party the night they got home, have gone to work and on the go the whole time.
    Some people will ignore directives, instructions or whatever and do their own thing.

• Advertisement

otnomart wrote: »
    Last week the Netherlands health institute worked on the assumption that Covid-19 patients who end up in ICU will need to stay there for 10 days. Now that assumption has been adjusted to 23 days.
    Longer stays will require more ICU beds.
    https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/30/coronavirus-measures-less-effective-hoped-health-institute

Why would the the Netherlands health institute assume that when the Chinese have said the average recovery period is 31 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

http://www.uppbuzz.com/world/coronavirus-pandemic-has-infected-more-than-700000-people/
    3.4 billion people around the world currently in some form of lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Marsden35 wrote: »

You wash your hands after you've been out or after you're received mail/packages.

Some things to remember. If you've touched your phone whilst out, wipe it clean once home.

If you don't have taps with a lever that you can turn on/off with an elbow or wrist, then disinfect tap after use.

Good points. Any suggestions for clothes/shoes etc.

We go out once a week. Should we have "going out clothes" that we only use to go out in and change when we come home. Should we wash these or isolate them till the next week.

How about our hair?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

boetstark wrote: »
    Two things
    If they end up in a coffin it's the ultimate isolation
    Also do people really think its OK for our elderly to stroll around in public spreading this virus.
    Insisting on going out because they cannot sit on their arses for a few weeks is so selfish

Also do people really think its OK to stroll around in public spreading this virus.
    Insisting on going out because they cannot sit on their arses for a few weeks is so selfish[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

Have all those people who are making up the daily death rate from Covid 19 been patients in ICU? Do we know if people are dying at home?
    I believe not, quite a few of the nursing home patients did not make it to hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.rijnmond.nl/nieuws/193796/Rotterdam-Ahoy-wordt-tijdelijke-zorglocatie-eerste-patienten-half-april-verwacht
    The eurovision contest venue in Rotterdam has been been transformed into a temporary hospital, something kind of sad and apocalyptic about that

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Bloody hell is it just me or does there seem to be genuine disappointment amongst some posters on here that numbers are not rocketing as was speculated?

Whipping people up into a frenzy seems to be a hobby, its ridiculous carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Notmything wrote: »
    Tbf, my neighbours came home from England at the weekend. Were told to isolate for 14 days but have done anything but.
    Had a reunion party the night they got home, have gone to work and on the go the whole time.
    Some people will ignore directives, instructions or whatever and do their own thing.

This.

And you can be sure they aren't the only ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭Talisman

Details of Irema increasing their production capacity:

Limerick firm reaping benefits of soaring face mask demand around world (BreakingNews, March 3)

Their masks were also quite popular during the SARS outbreak ...

Irish firm deluged with orders for surgical masks (Irish Times, April 30 2003)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

cnocbui wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. If a government - force majeure - tells a company to do something, any contract they signed becomes null and void. The German government stopped medical equipment from being exported from Germany, China and many other countries likewise.

The Irish government, for some bizarre reason, have decided to allow the export of critically needed resources. And equally bizarre is that i haven't noticed the media pulling them up on it.

I wonder have the mainstream media been made aware of this assuming it`s true? If it is then it`s a national disgrace IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭threeball

From what I can see, masks from a Limerick company are being flown out to China.
    Then we buy masks from China.
    And those masks are flown back to Ireland.

If you want proof we're a banana republic you've just seen it.

China is making a killing off this virus. One mask manufacturer has increased its value 420%. 9000 mask manufacturers set up since January. They're also making 1000s of ventilators a week. If this isn't a wake up call for people to start manufacturing and buying product at home I don't know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From what I can see, masks from a Limerick company are being flown out to China.
    Then we buy masks from China.
    And those masks are flown back to Ireland.

If you want proof we're a banana republic you've just seen it.

The Chinese order is enormous and for many millions of PPE items over the course of 6 weeks, not just masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Bloody hell is it just me or does there seem to be genuine disappointment amongst some posters on here that numbers are not rocketing as was speculated?

This thread is worse for people’s health than the virus itself!
    Doomsday fantasies

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.rijnmond.nl/nieuws/193796/Rotterdam-Ahoy-wordt-tijdelijke-zorglocatie-eerste-patienten-half-april-verwacht
    The eurovision contest venue in Rotterdam has been been transformed into a temporary hospital, something kind of sad and apocalyptic about that

This is the type of thing that would be in a film and we would be watching it wide eyed and thinking that could never happen. But here it is happening and most people are just meh, just another temporary hospital set up..we have seen it all. We have all adjusted ourselves to this new world more than we realise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,103 ✭✭✭Talisman

mick987 wrote: »
    Also do people really think its OK to stroll around in public spreading this virus.
    Insisting on going out because they cannot sit on their arses for a few weeks is so selfish
    Some people have mental health issues which spiral out of control when they feel confined. The need to get out isn't a rational decision but their state of mind is not a rational space.

• Advertisement

I wonder have the mainstream media been made aware of this assuming it`s true? If it is then it`s a national disgrace IMO.
    Limerick firm reaping benefits of soaring face mask demand around world
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/limerick-firm-reaping-benefits-of-soaring-face-mask-demand-around-world-985474.html
    Limerick firm set to double output of face masks amid Covid-19 fears
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/limerick-firm-set-to-double-output-of-face-masks-amid-covid-19-fears-985868.html
    Covid-19 brings economic boost to Limerick company
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0305/1120498-coronavirus-mask-manufacturer/

etc, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Hopeful signs worse case scenario might be scaled down

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0330/1127224-coronavirus-health-covid19/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Yes we should ground those Aer Lingus planes bringing back various PPE from China and tell China to piss off. That would be the smart thing to do right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

while UK is working on its own NHS Nightingale in the ExCel centre, Italy has completed its new Ospedale Fiera Milano in the former exhibition centre.
    Will open in the matter of days

gfW5gjda?format=jpg&name=small

EUWYHLWXgAAQ5Da?format=jpg&name=small

EUVOsa6XYAAc4LY?format=jpg&name=small

AdrianG08 wrote: »

I'm fairly sure there was an Italian, Spanish and French version of you a couple weeks ago.

This is nothing to do with a hobby. Its about studying well worn trends in all those countries.

I'm delighted positive cases are coming down. That doesn't mean we should lift our guard.

More to the point it also doesn't mean the numbers in ICU or dying will fall. Of 200 cases daily, at least 10 will end up in ICU.

The only ones who think this is sport or a hobby are those who say things like "stop whipping people into a frenzy" or "we are doing great". The rest of us are taking this seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Hopeful signs worse case scenario might be scaled down

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0330/1127224-coronavirus-health-covid19/

Similar in the U.K. whichever doctor first projected the worse case scenario has lowered it significantly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Good points. Any suggestions for clothes/shoes etc.

We go out once a week. Should we have "going out clothes" that we only use to go out in and change when we come home. Should we wash these or isolate them till the next week.

How about our hair?

Definitely shave it all off as soon as you get home.

Seriously, if you think something needs washing, just wash it. Why ask?

Yes we should ground those Aer Lingus planes bringing back various PPE from China and tell China to piss off. That would be the smart thing to do right now.

No-one said we should ground those planes.

We did say we should have our own capacity to manufacture PPE which it turns out we do. Except the HSE have been more keen to engage with China than a company in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭plodder

cnocbui wrote: »

I don't think it was a great idea for EU governments to do that, with respect to other EU countries at least. Some of these measures may end up cancelling each other out, such is the nature of modern trade, but they cause huge disruption for definite. Pulling up the drawbridge within the EU will eventually start to affect supply chains for other services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,172 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Marsden35 wrote: »

I have a daily disinfection process of everything I touch regularly, keys, phone, door handles, light switches etc etc, takes about 30 mins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement