Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭Talisman

PPE is the one that stands out for me. We don't even have the manufacturing capacity here to make simple medical masks.

People can rightly criticise the Chinese but only for them, we'd have no PPE. Shocking.
    WRONG - Irema in Kilmallock, Co. Limerick are producing over 1M masks a week but they are all for export including to China.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

NIMAN wrote: »
    I find it strange to hear about old people cocooning, yet adverts from supermarkets telling us that the first few hours of opening is for older folk.

Older people without family/friends will still have to get food.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,631 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Talisman wrote: »
    There are some details of real ICU capacity at present, not the "around 500" figure as stated by Paul Reid and Anne O'Connor. Old habits die hard and it would appear that the HSE is still continuing to spin aspirational numbers as current capacity.

The private sectors beds have not been made available yet ,they will only be made available when the HSE beds are near full ,

So around 500 is a correct figure, I tried to count them myself from all the different reports and I think it was around 470ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

iguana wrote: »
    Which again is something that could be helped massively if people who had the virus actually knew they had it. I guarantee we'd have absolutely no issue putting together a volunteer 'taxi' fleet of people with immunity who would drive currently infected people home from hospital. If the UK's antibody tests prove effective, hopefully the DoH here will order them too and we can do the same. It makes a lot of sense for us to wait and see if they prove effective in the UK's tests before ordering them ourselves. But hopefully they will be effective and we follow the British lead if they are. People with immunity could make a huge difference in the short to mid-term as volunteers and as people who can help kick start the economy.

That would be quite hard to administer. I use the volunteer driver service to get to my cancer appointments. It only started in my hospital last year despite the scheme being around for years and my hospital being one of the biggest. It took that long to get it organised. And that's a service where you don't have to check for immunity to something in the drivers. The amount of work that goes into running the scheme is eye-opening.

Another issue: most of the volunteers are retirees. Every single person who has driven me has been retired, most late 60s, early 70s. They're the people who have the free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

NIMAN wrote: »
    I find it strange to hear about old people cocooning, yet adverts from supermarkets telling us that the first few hours of opening is for older folk.

Cocooning is for 70's and over. Anyone that are 60 and older can avail of those hours for shopping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I think we'll be OK tho. The governments own projection was at the peak 550 people would be in ICU. I've read that we will have close to 1000 beds between public and private so we would be able to cope. The good news is that that was with a projection of 800+ new cases being diagnosed a day around now. Yesterday we saw just 200. We wont see the chaos seen in other countries by the looks of things.

Last week the Netherlands health institute worked on the assumption that Covid-19 patients who end up in ICU will need to stay there for 10 days. Now that assumption has been adjusted to 23 days.
    Longer stays will require more ICU beds.
    https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/30/coronavirus-measures-less-effective-hoped-health-institute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

WRONG - Irema in Kilmallock, Co. Limerick are producing over 1M masks a week but they are all for export including to China.

Our modern version of exporting corn during the famine ?

We should be making sure our own health workers have enough masks before exporting them is even considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

That's even more shocking to be honest.

We are both exporting to and importing masks from China at huge expense.

Would it not make sense to buy the masks from the Limerick company?

The more I find out about how governments handle this the more my blood boils.

They probably have contracts that they can't get out of ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

PPE is the one that stands out for me. We don't even have the manufacturing capacity here to make simple medical masks.

People can rightly criticise the Chinese but only for them, we'd have no PPE. Shocking.

If we had started preparing for potential disasters such as this before they transpired, it would be criticised and mocked by the media and public.

Before Covid-19 if you'd asked most people about Swine Flu or Bird Flu they'd have laughed and said the stupid government made a big deal over nothing. Even now we still have people using the "the flu kills more" line. The iodine tablets for potential nuclear disasters from the early 2000s have become a stock joke.

Until earlier this month, any and all expenditure by the state was greeted with howls of "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE HOMELESS?". If the HSE had started buying more PPE, hand sanitiser and disinfectant etc. before the Covid-19 outbreak we'd have seen plenty of "My granny was on a trolley in A&E for 3 years but Simon Harris thinks buying hand soap is more important" type stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭anonanymore

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Cocooning is for 70's and over. Anyone that are 60 and older can avail of those hours for shopping

Over 65s in Tesco

The private sectors beds have not been made available yet ,they will only be made available when the HSE beds are near full ,

So around 500 is a correct figure, I tried to count them myself from all the different reports and I think it was around 470ish
    My understanding was that those 470ish are the same 450 standby beds.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Shipping masks to a place that gave us the virus in the first place. We should look after our own first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Over 65s in Tesco

Doubt the bouncers on the door are too strict on IDing them

Probably the case. But how does it make sense to send planes to China when the masks are being made down the road?

Can our government not come to a deal with the Chinese?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Question. If I am staying in my own home and self isolating, do I need to wash my hands constantly.

If everyone is washing their hands with the tap running for 20 seconds I can imagine a situation where Irish Water will run out of water, come the summer time shortages.

Will this be offset by the businesses that are closed and not using water at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Anywhere I can get a fake id so I can go shopping a bit earlier?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

otnomart wrote: »
    Last week the Netherlands health institute worked on the assumption that Covid-19 patients who end up in ICU will need to stay there for 10 days. Now that assumption has been adjusted to 23 days.
    Longer stays will require more ICU beds.
    https://nltimes.nl/2020/03/30/coronavirus-measures-less-effective-hoped-health-institute

It still doesn't negate the fact that the governments worst case scenario suggested 500 people would be in ICU at the peak of this that is with a daily increase of 800 cases at this stage. We are at a quarter of that so that would suggest the numbers in ICU should be significantly lower than that so we should be well able to cope given the beds that are coming on stream over the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Taiwan sent the army into their factories to make sure they were operating 24/7 producing masks. They also opened more lines producing masks.

They banned all exports until they were sure that their own population had enough masks... when that was done they resumed exports.

Germany banned PPE exports too until they were sure they had enough for their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

When a handful of Dutch health workers fell ill days after the Netherlands’ first Covid-19 case, it prompted mass screening at two hospitals. What scientists found surprised them.

Some 1,353 hospital staff in Breda and Tilburg, who recently suffered typical winter coughs and sniffles, were tested for the coronavirus. Of those, 86 -- or 6.4% -- were positive. Barely half had a fever, and the majority reported working while they were mildly ill.

The “unexpected high prevalence” indicated hidden community spread, Marion Koopmans, Jan Kluytmans, and colleagues said in a report on Friday. The research is the first to describe clinical effects of the pandemic-causing disease among health-care workers and “confirms the insidious nature” of the coronavirus.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-28/dutch-hospital-workers-show-insidious-nature-of-coronavirus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Taiwan sent the army into their factories to make sure they were operating 24/7 producing masks. They also opened more lines producing masks.

They banned all exports until they were sure that their own population had enough masks... when that was done they resumed exports.

Germany banned PPE exports too until they were sure they had enough for their own.

We will likely do the same with ventilators coming out of Medtronic if we run short.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

If we stop exporting as agreed it opens up a whole can of worms where we might no longer be able to import as agreed. We are an island that needs to keep our air supply chains open and running.

Our modern version of exporting corn during the famine ?

We should be making sure our own health workers have enough masks before exporting them is even considered.
    I think it was their marketing manager that was interviewed on the radio in the week after the first case and said they had contacted the HSE about supplying them but there was no take up. The same day the company announced that they were increasing the size of the workforce to cope with demand. They needed to ramp up production to produce 2.5M masks a week to fill the export orders.

Probably the case. But how does it make sense to send planes to China when the masks are being made down the road?

Can our government not come to a deal with the Chinese?

I would imagine they have already spoke about it and are getting them back at a reduced price,
    Probably a huge stock pile of them in China ,

Chinese are not easy to deal with at the best of times now they have the upper hand I'm sure they drive a hard deal

If we had started preparing for potential disasters such as this before they transpired, it would be criticised and mocked by the media and public.

Before Covid-19 if you'd asked most people about Swine Flu or Bird Flu they'd have laughed and said the stupid government made a big deal over nothing. Even now we still have people using the "the flu kills more" line. The iodine tablets for potential nuclear disasters from the early 2000s have become a stock joke.

Until earlier this month, any and all expenditure by the state was greeted with howls of "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE HOMELESS?". If the HSE had started buying more PPE, hand sanitiser and disinfectant etc. before the Covid-19 outbreak we'd have seen plenty of "My granny was on a trolley in A&E for 3 years but Simon Harris thinks buying hand soap is more important" type stuff.

I sort of agree.

The HSE said back in January I believe they were well prepared for something like Covid19 due to prior experience with outbreaks like SARS.

Turns out their plans were back of the envelope stuff. They had no plan. Even now medical staff are on social media begging the public for PPE.

The HSE arrogance at the start has been costly. It would have been far better if they came out and said they were concerned and put in plans to protect nursing homes and medical staff with PPE. They didn't.

KiKi III wrote: »
    We will likely do the same with ventilators coming out of Medtronic if we run short.

No chance Ireland is the lapdog when it comes to business deals with the big boys . We will do what we are told,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Yester wrote: »
    Anywhere I can get a fake id so I can go shopping a bit earlier?

Yeah, just let me fire up Photoshop and I'll be right back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Talisman wrote:

Irema supply the HSE with 150,000 masks every week with production increasing to 1m per week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭crossman47

On SOR just now he mentioned a tweet from Fergal Bowers that Dept of Health figures today would be considerably lower than the worst case scenario he reported this morning. I'm sure they told him that so he would tone down the breathless reporting of his great scoop. They should also sanction the person who leaked the result of a planning document. They are quite correct to be doing this but most people will interpret it as a forecast. Same as those saying Leo was wrong because we're not hitting 15000.

• Advertisement

I would imagine they have already spoke about it and are getting them back at a reduced price,
    Probably a huge stock pile of them in China ,

Chinese are not easy to deal with at the best of times now they have the upper hand I'm sure they drive a hard deal

From what I can see, masks from a Limerick company are being flown out to China.
    Then we buy masks from China.
    And those masks are flown back to Ireland.

If you want proof we're a banana republic you've just seen it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement