Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XII - 4,604 in ROI (137 deaths) 998 in NI (56 deaths)(04/04) **Read OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

When the last instance of the virus disappears from this island, the moment we open the air/sea border, we will get the virus back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

voluntary wrote: »
    When the last instance of the virus disappears from this island, the moment we open the air/sea border, we will get the virus back.

Not if enough of us have gotten the virus and recovered so we have immunity. Also our borders are not closed. You can probably still fly somewhere if you really needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

UK suggesting the restrictions will be in place for 6 months
    They have made just a bit of a mess of it all and not sure how useful it is to declare that. Personally prefer the "next seven days or "only 14 days" approach to public information we have as they are psychologically easier to process and they give a sense that we are managing it in a far more measured way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

MadYaker wrote: »
    Amsterdam for a festival called Dekmantel.

Hmmm. I wouldn't be buying my sunscreen just yet.

Id be 95% sure any such festivals will not go ahead. And i'd be 100% sure that if they did, anyone who then chooses to travel to them is a selfish tool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

The way the Netherlands is looking, no you won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

July? These restrictions will be relaxed in May and antibody testing will start in April. People will have to go back to work much sooner than July or all the businesses that are closed now will be closed forever. That’s the last I heard from our government anyway. I’m going on holidays in July.

Italy are aiming for April 3rd as a start date for relaxing there restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is no need for businesses to close if they can show that they can operate withing social distancing. Lots of companies can do this. Every week of this shutdown reduces the money we have to spend on essential services in the future.

If the UK stays on lockdown for another 6 months their economy will be completely destroyed. It’ll take decades to recover. Will the Tory gov do that to save a few thousand pensioners? I seriously doubt it. 6 weeks from now all of Boris Johnson’s rich London mates will be putting big pressure on him to lift the shutters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

There'll be waves of the virus for a couple of years

A Lockdown ends and the hospital's fill again

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    Are they? I thought it was the end of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

prevention only...its usually made on dead or inactive virus that kicks your immune system to 'learn' the virus profile...so when you do get it -- it can react

OK, so it would be wise to get this vaccine when it's available next year ...

Id be 95% sure any such festivals will not go ahead. And i'd be 100% sure that if they did, anyone who then chooses to travel to them is a selfish tool

Can you tell me next weeks lotto numbers so please?

It’s 3 months away. At the rate this virus is spreading almost all the people who are going to die in Europe will be dead by then.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Are they? I thought it was the end of April.

Yes it's been extended to at least late April, no way they are gonna relax things soon, it's only starting to slow down over there now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://www.euromomo.eu/outputs/number.html

Still a long way to go for European death rate to be anything unusual for this winter

Not if they adapt the South Korea approach to testing ....

test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test test !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

July? These restrictions will be relaxed in May and antibody testing will start in April. People will have to go back to work much sooner than July or all the businesses that are closed now will be closed forever. That’s the last I heard from our government anyway. I’m going on holidays in July.

I would be highly doubtful that travel restrictions will be lifted by July depending on where you are going

Jayzee. wrote: »

You must not have heard of vaccines. You should google it.

I think you're assuming that nothing will be done in the meantime. There are a whole lot of teams working on possible mitigating treatments and vacccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

This time next year there will be a vaccine. Stop scaremongering.

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »

That is a weeks time and will likely be reviewed. They are relaxing restrictions as they can’t leave their houses apart from food or medicine. Even at that people are starting to struggle

If the UK stays on lockdown for another 6 months their economy will be completely destroyed. It’ll take decades to recover. Will the Tory gov do that to save a few thousand pensioners? I seriously doubt it. 6 weeks from now all of Boris Johnson’s rich London mates will be putting big pressure on him to lift the shutters.

They never said they’ll be on lockdown, they said to return to ‘normal’ as we once knew it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Not if enough of us have gotten the virus and recovered so we have immunity.

It's likely not enough people in the country will get the virus so we won't have herd immunity.

Say 50,000 people get it, out of 5m people that's actually not a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    This time next year there will be a vaccine. Stop scaremongering.

Nobody knows that for a fact. It could be 6 months, it could 18 months.

Stop spreading falsehoods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

UK suggesting the restrictions will be in place for 6 months

I would pay zero attention to anything the UK have done or said, they've made a complete balls out of this like the US.

I'd listen to South Korea.

Ireland are doing quite well in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Still a long way to go for European death rate to be anything unusual for this winter

But surely those other deaths are also occurring ?

Can you tell me next weeks lotto numbers so please?

It’s 3 months away. At the rate this virus is spreading almost all the people who are going to die in Europe will be dead by then.

Restrictions may be relaxed by then, however it would be madness to run events pulling large numbers of people from all over Europe to the one place any time in the next 6 months. Euro2020 is cancelled, Olympics are cancelled, but Music festivals ok?

I think people have begun to accept the mortality of this and it won't be large in comparison with flu' deaths. It's addressing the huge pressure it can put on health systems, which in turn could lead to more deaths, that is exercising people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Our air/sea border isn't closed.

• Advertisement

Yes it's been extended to at least late April, no way they are gonna relax things soon, it's only starting to slow down over there now ...
    They are hoping for peak this week I think. Didn't Simon say something similar for Spain?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement