Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Nox, I am quite surprised you are taking this stance tbh, I'd have expected a bit more pragmatism from you... you are usually the man who does it his way or no way, and f**k what anyone else thinks, so long as I'm enjoying myself. The lack of your usual 5 gallons of beer per week must be going to your head.

Talk of lashing out fines and arresting people and bringing in the army is the stuff of fantasy and not the environment many people would tolerate. I have friends in the Gardai and I know that they do not want to do that. Thankfully they have some common sense and decency and they do not rely on militants on boards.ie for advise on how to enforce the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Log onto Strava and you’ll see a load of cyclists and runners doing massive loops of the city/county

Great and your point being?

You'll also see loads of people observing the rules?

Anyway this is as I feared is going off topic so I'm out (well technically I'm staying inside but you know what I mean!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Anyway this is as I feared is going off topic so I'm out (well technically I'm staying inside but you know what I mean!)

See people breaking the 2km from home rule

See people breaking the 2km from home rule

• Registered Users Posts: 23,617 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Big concrete blocks now blocking the road to Silverstrand
    Clearly cones and signs did not work

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Banning exercise totally may be the next step that’s needed imo, only leaving home for shopping (once a week) or other essential reasons.

Counterproductive and a silly statement to be honest.

Exercise makes people healthier (physically and mentally) and boosts the immune system thus making it easier to fight Covid19.

A ban on exercise will not happen and would be completely ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I am seeing quite a few cyclists in full training gear on fairly high end road bikes etc. There isn't a hope they are staying within two km of home. The areas I'm seeing them in also would not be people commuting, country areas etc (not that I'd expect anyone commuting to be in full training gear etc anyway).

Most have gps watches or trackers on their bike anyway so very easy to check their route, I've heard that guards are doing this but I dont know if that's true or not.

It’s very easy to do a long walk or cycle within the 2km circle. My parents have numerous routes within their rural circle, some up to 10km long.

Exercise makes people healthier (physically and mentally) and boosts the immune system thus making it easier to fight Covid19.

Well, in fairness, that’s unfounded. I agree that exercise can’t be stopped and shouldn’t be but its effect on fighting coronavirus is unknown.

Well, in fairness, that’s unfounded. I agree that exercise can’t be stopped and shouldn’t be but its effect on fighting coronavirus is unknown.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/be-active-during-covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭what_traffic

I had to go out for diesel yesterday and decided to drive along the prom in salthill on the way home. I was astonished at the number of people walking, running and cycling along it.

How many kms did this DETOUR add to your essential journey?
    For me you are engaging in similar behaviour as some of those you observed (i.e the non 2km locals who are driving, cycling alongside the prom and those walking/jogging it)

• Advertisement

Yes, that is all generic ‘exercise is good for you and water is slightly damp’ advice. There will be no quality research on exercise boosting the immune system and its effect on fighting covid-19 at this point. Not possible.

And did you even read the information in that link? Not one thing does it say specifically about how exercise helps fight covid-19. Because of course they can’t say anything about that. There are no studies to back that up. It’s just about how to keep up exercise during the pandemic and why it’s beneficial to try. It’s just about general health and wellbeing.

Huh? :confused:

Have the government said what people can or can not wear whilst briefly exercising within a 2 km radius of their home, or if commuting by bike to and from essential work?

Live in the country. While mowing the lawn the other day I was very annoyed to see a cyclist head past in full Tour de France gear. Only to see him pass by every 10 minutes or so over the course of the 45 minutes I was out. There’s a 5k loop within 2k radius that he was repeating over and over. Don’t always assume the worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

I am seeing quite a few cyclists in full training gear on fairly high end road bikes etc. There isn't a hope they are staying within two km of home. The areas I'm seeing them in also would not be people commuting, country areas etc (not that I'd expect anyone commuting to be in full training gear etc anyway).

I've been doing a cycle on my road bike in full cycling kit every 2 or 3 days, when the footpaths are too busy. Doing a 6km loop that goes out through country roads and back, 3 loops in 35mins. Brief daily exercise all within 2km from home.

If you've ever cycled on a road bike you'll know it's worth wearing the kit with the padding where it's needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Live in the country. While mowing the lawn the other day I was very annoyed to see a cyclist head past in full Tour de France gear. Only to see him pass by every 10 minutes or so over the course of the 45 minutes I was out. There’s a 5k loop within 2k radius that he was repeating over and over. Don’t always assume the worst

Not sure why you quoted my post

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    I've been doing a cycle on my road bike in full cycling kit every 2 or 3 days, when the footpaths are too busy. Doing a 6km loop that goes out through country roads and back, 3 loops in 35mins. Brief daily exercise all within 2km from home.

If you've ever cycled on a road bike you'll know it's worth wearing the kit with the padding where it's needed!

How are the rest of the cyclists on strava looking? Be honest

How are the rest of the cyclists on strava looking? Be honest

Of the cyclists I follow, I'd say about 50% are doing local loops within their 2km. The other 50% are breaching the guidelines.

But if you see a cyclist on a road bike in full kit, you shouldn't assume they're breaking the guidelines. Both sets above would still be going out in full kit.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Nox, I am quite surprised you are taking this stance tbh, I'd have expected a bit more pragmatism from you... you are usually the man who does it his way or no way, and f**k what anyone else thinks, so long as I'm enjoying myself. The lack of your usual 5 gallons of beer per week must be going to your head.

Talk of lashing out fines and arresting people and bringing in the army is the stuff of fantasy and not the environment many people would tolerate. I have friends in the Gardai and I know that they do not want to do that. Thankfully they have some common sense and decency and they do not rely on militants on boards.ie for advise on how to enforce the law.

Because this is an actual serious situation, life or death so of course my stance is different. The more people ignore things or make light of them like you and some other posters the longer we are going to be stuck in a lock down.

Also my fridge is well stocked with beer and spirts press well stocked with a wide range of spirits so no shortage of drink ;)

Its almost like the last month didn't happen :confused: Was it "silly" in Spain, Italy or China where exercise was most certainly banned? was it unenforceable when people were getting jailed for it or a gun pointed at them?

Its almost like the last month didn't happen :confused: Was it "silly" in Spain, Italy or China where exercise was most certainly banned? was it unenforceable when people were getting jailed for it or a gun pointed at them?

To be honest you sound highly strung and possibly need to get some aerobic exercise.

This is Galway, in Ireland. An exercise ban will not happen here. There is absolutely no need once people follow the guidelines. And apart from on the Salthill prom, I think they are. Exercise boosts the immune system and helps people cope with the lockdown.

So yes, it was a silly suggestion to ban exercise now or in the future.

Nox, if all the off-licences were told to close up tomorrow and the sale of booze was banned or severely restricted (which some loony tunes have actually called for) would you row in behind that too and call on the Gardai to throw the lads with a few cans in their boot into the cells? Of course you wouldn’t! Because that would affect you and needless to say it would be equally as ludicrous and simple minded as your own suggestions on law enforcement.
    We all know too well that you’re not a fan of exercise and cyclists in particular, so banning all those particular activities wouldn’t affect your lifestyle one little bit :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

The prom didn't look very closed on a video posted on the City/Connaught Tribune Facebook page. Couldn't believe the amount of people walking it today! Barriers were up but so many ignoring them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

How many kms did this DETOUR add to your essential journey?
    For me you are engaging in similar behaviour as some of those you observed (i.e the non 2km locals who are driving, cycling alongside the prom and those walking/jogging it)

My 2kms allows me to travel the full length of the prom and as far as the garage where I got my diesel. No detour was required, I just kept going in a loop until I got home, never more than 2 Kms from my front door.
    I have not left my estate since the first lockdown was announced a few weeks ago. My wife had to make 1 emergency trip to dunnes when a super value online order was cancelled. We do all our shopping online and before you tell me I am taking up valuable spaces, we have 2 type 1 diabetics in the house so we are high risk. We do exercise videos with the kids in the morning and go for a walk along the pavements within the estate in the evening. We can get 2.8 Kms by following the footpaths over two loops of the estate. The kids have not been outside the estate since the 13th of march.

So no, I am not the same as the people out walking along the prom, eating ice cream and coming shoulder to shoulder with other people who feel they have the right to be there.

We don't have the most interesting exercise regime and we would love to be back down the prom where we walked 5 nights a week but we have given that up as there is a global pandemic happening at the minute so people have to stop being selfish pricks and just stay at home.

The prom didn't look very closed on a video posted on the City/Connaught Tribune Facebook page. Couldn't believe the amount of people walking it today! Barriers were up but so many ignoring them.

Any chance of sharing the link?

To be honest you sound highly strung and possibly need to get some aerobic exercise.

This is Galway, in Ireland. An exercise ban will not happen here. There is absolutely no need once people follow the guidelines. And apart from on the Salthill prom, I think they are. Exercise boosts the immune system and helps people cope with the lockdown.

So yes, it was a silly suggestion to ban exercise now or in the future.

Other countries have had to ban exercise outright so I don't think it's a silly suggestion. If it saves life's then it might be the right thing to do.

However reading back on the thread, there has been no evidence posted to show a busy promenade? If its bad then the guards should take action, that should be the first step before any bans are considered.

Any chance of sharing the link?

This is the video. As far as I can tell, it's fairly deserted with those using it maintaining distance. You would see more users on a wet December day

But make up your own mind

https://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune/videos/537257270549450/

This is the video. As far as I can tell, it's fairly deserted with those using it maintaining distance. You would see more users on a wet December day

But make up your own mind

https://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune/videos/537257270549450/

Thanks for posting, agreed it looks fine to me and don't see any issues with that.

More people in the toilet roll isle of any supermarket in the country then the whole prom!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,617 ✭✭✭✭zell12

However reading back on the thread, there has been no evidence posted to show a busy promenade? If its bad then the guards should take action, that should be the first step before any bans are considered.
    Garda have taken action,
    deploying cones
    Then telling motorists to leave the area
    Then instructing Council to erect metal fencing
    Next will be ?

And there is a serious amount of people walking on it, chatting when they meet others etc

The City Council haven't given a clear message on the prom, Silver Strand etc..

They've posted messages that these facilities are closed and that they'll be putting in parking restrictions. Locals have asked on social media if they can use the facility and they get NO reply.

The Galway Advertiser recently reported that "Walking the prom, for people who live within the permitted 2km zone for exercising, is still allowed, but only on weekdays (prom is closed on Saturdays and Sundays )"... I havent seen that message from Council or Gardai?

If they truly wanted to close the prom they'd place barriers across the walkway rather than blocking parking.

They seem to be using "constructive ambiguity" to keep everyone somewhat happy and keep the numbers low but as a result you have people that are "more lockdown" than others seeing people out walking and getting enraged.

It'd help if they just clarified their message. Place a few of the barriers across the walkways or say whether it's open to locals only.

However reading back on the thread, there has been no evidence posted to show a busy promenade?

I put up a post that I had traveled along the prom and it was packed. I know it was not video evidence but I did not come on here to lie to people. Exactly what kind of evidence do you require?

I put up a post that I had traveled along the prom and it was packed. I know it was not video evidence but I did not come on here to lie to people. Exactly what kind of evidence do you require?

If I were you I’d concentrate on yourself and your family and spend less time curtain twitching and amateur policing. You can only control your own behaviours so there’s little point fretting about what your neighbours are up to. Your mental health won’t thank you. If you feel that you personally are a high risk, ok, stay at home and self isolate. Most of us are a little less risk adverse and will continue to get on with life within reason, using a large slice of common sense.

What did you need a tank of diesel for?! Those 2k journeys are not good for the health of your diesel car either btw!

• Advertisement

I don't see any evidence of curtain twitching or amateur policing in any of my posts. I said I was down the prom once in 3 weeks and it was packed. I stick to my estate for my own reasons which is the health of myself and my family and because we think this is necessary to help prevent the spread of the virus based on global advice.
    I will continue to do as I am doing and everyone else can continue to act within the bounds of their conscience, I can't change anything but it will probably mean me and my family have to remain in our reduced world for longer than we potentially could have to.
    The reason I went for diesel is because my fuel light has been on since before the lockdown and I did not want to damage my engine by letting a small amount of fuel sit in the tank for s prolonged time. The battery in my car died during my wife's emergency trip to dunnes so I do not want anything like that happening again.
    I'm not going to bother with this thread anymore, I have no interest in arguing with our justifying myself to anyone.
    I'll see you all on the other side of this hopefully, when that is, who knows!

Advertisement