Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

How many kms did this DETOUR add to your essential journey?
    For me you are engaging in similar behaviour as some of those you observed (i.e the non 2km locals who are driving, cycling alongside the prom and those walking/jogging it)

My 2kms allows me to travel the full length of the prom and as far as the garage where I got my diesel. No detour was required, I just kept going in a loop until I got home, never more than 2 Kms from my front door.
    I have not left my estate since the first lockdown was announced a few weeks ago. My wife had to make 1 emergency trip to dunnes when a super value online order was cancelled. We do all our shopping online and before you tell me I am taking up valuable spaces, we have 2 type 1 diabetics in the house so we are high risk. We do exercise videos with the kids in the morning and go for a walk along the pavements within the estate in the evening. We can get 2.8 Kms by following the footpaths over two loops of the estate. The kids have not been outside the estate since the 13th of march.

So no, I am not the same as the people out walking along the prom, eating ice cream and coming shoulder to shoulder with other people who feel they have the right to be there.

We don't have the most interesting exercise regime and we would love to be back down the prom where we walked 5 nights a week but we have given that up as there is a global pandemic happening at the minute so people have to stop being selfish pricks and just stay at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

The prom didn't look very closed on a video posted on the City/Connaught Tribune Facebook page. Couldn't believe the amount of people walking it today! Barriers were up but so many ignoring them.

Any chance of sharing the link?

To be honest you sound highly strung and possibly need to get some aerobic exercise.

This is Galway, in Ireland. An exercise ban will not happen here. There is absolutely no need once people follow the guidelines. And apart from on the Salthill prom, I think they are. Exercise boosts the immune system and helps people cope with the lockdown.

So yes, it was a silly suggestion to ban exercise now or in the future.

Other countries have had to ban exercise outright so I don't think it's a silly suggestion. If it saves life's then it might be the right thing to do.

However reading back on the thread, there has been no evidence posted to show a busy promenade? If its bad then the guards should take action, that should be the first step before any bans are considered.

Any chance of sharing the link?

This is the video. As far as I can tell, it's fairly deserted with those using it maintaining distance. You would see more users on a wet December day

But make up your own mind

https://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune/videos/537257270549450/

This is the video. As far as I can tell, it's fairly deserted with those using it maintaining distance. You would see more users on a wet December day

But make up your own mind

https://www.facebook.com/ConnachtTribune/videos/537257270549450/

Thanks for posting, agreed it looks fine to me and don't see any issues with that.

More people in the toilet roll isle of any supermarket in the country then the whole prom!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,997 ✭✭✭✭zell12

However reading back on the thread, there has been no evidence posted to show a busy promenade? If its bad then the guards should take action, that should be the first step before any bans are considered.
    Garda have taken action,
    deploying cones
    Then telling motorists to leave the area
    Then instructing Council to erect metal fencing
    Next will be ?

And there is a serious amount of people walking on it, chatting when they meet others etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

The City Council haven't given a clear message on the prom, Silver Strand etc..

They've posted messages that these facilities are closed and that they'll be putting in parking restrictions. Locals have asked on social media if they can use the facility and they get NO reply.

The Galway Advertiser recently reported that "Walking the prom, for people who live within the permitted 2km zone for exercising, is still allowed, but only on weekdays (prom is closed on Saturdays and Sundays )"... I havent seen that message from Council or Gardai?

If they truly wanted to close the prom they'd place barriers across the walkway rather than blocking parking.

They seem to be using "constructive ambiguity" to keep everyone somewhat happy and keep the numbers low but as a result you have people that are "more lockdown" than others seeing people out walking and getting enraged.

It'd help if they just clarified their message. Place a few of the barriers across the walkways or say whether it's open to locals only.

However reading back on the thread, there has been no evidence posted to show a busy promenade?

I put up a post that I had traveled along the prom and it was packed. I know it was not video evidence but I did not come on here to lie to people. Exactly what kind of evidence do you require?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I put up a post that I had traveled along the prom and it was packed. I know it was not video evidence but I did not come on here to lie to people. Exactly what kind of evidence do you require?

If I were you I’d concentrate on yourself and your family and spend less time curtain twitching and amateur policing. You can only control your own behaviours so there’s little point fretting about what your neighbours are up to. Your mental health won’t thank you. If you feel that you personally are a high risk, ok, stay at home and self isolate. Most of us are a little less risk adverse and will continue to get on with life within reason, using a large slice of common sense.

What did you need a tank of diesel for?! Those 2k journeys are not good for the health of your diesel car either btw!

• Advertisement

I don't see any evidence of curtain twitching or amateur policing in any of my posts. I said I was down the prom once in 3 weeks and it was packed. I stick to my estate for my own reasons which is the health of myself and my family and because we think this is necessary to help prevent the spread of the virus based on global advice.
    I will continue to do as I am doing and everyone else can continue to act within the bounds of their conscience, I can't change anything but it will probably mean me and my family have to remain in our reduced world for longer than we potentially could have to.
    The reason I went for diesel is because my fuel light has been on since before the lockdown and I did not want to damage my engine by letting a small amount of fuel sit in the tank for s prolonged time. The battery in my car died during my wife's emergency trip to dunnes so I do not want anything like that happening again.
    I'm not going to bother with this thread anymore, I have no interest in arguing with our justifying myself to anyone.
    I'll see you all on the other side of this hopefully, when that is, who knows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Couldn't believe the amount of people walking it today! Barriers were up but so many ignoring them.

Did you happen to take a picture?

Further amenity closures

City Council closes Lough Rusheen Park and Ballyloughane beach

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/city-council-closes-lough-rusheen-park-and-ballyloughane-beach/

Looks like they are going with the approach that closing the parking will stop people driving to go for a walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Further amenity closures

City Council closes Lough Rusheen Park and Ballyloughane beach

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/city-council-closes-lough-rusheen-park-and-ballyloughane-beach/

Looks like they are going with the approach that closing the parking will stop people driving to go for a walk.

I was looking at googlemaps a day or two ago and Ballyloughane beach had a big *closed* icon beside it.

I'm wondering about the people having multiple posts about seeing infractions all the time and yet never being out. Feels like an episode of Medium :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Well Salthill was jammers again today, fair few out swimming along from the dive tower to ladies beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Psychlops wrote: »
    Well Salthill was jammers again today, fair few out swimming along from the dive tower to ladies beach.

Did you take a picture of what "jammers" means?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Whatever you are witnessing on the prom for the last month or so, the case numbers for Galway don't suggest that the spread of the virus has been out of control around here. It's been over 2 weeks since the 2km recommendation came in so any cases from before then would have been picked up by now. It's been confirmed tonight that the backlog is clear so the numbers are now up to date.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Did you take a picture of what "jammers" means?

Why be awkard and pedantic? Everyone knows what the poster means

flazio wrote: »
    It's been confirmed tonight that the backlog is clear so the numbers are now up to date.

I know 2 people waiting 24 and 25 days and still no results... unless there's a delay between tests completed and results communicated.

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    I know 2 people waiting 24 and 25 days and still no results... unless there's a delay between tests completed and results communicated.

Tell them to double check their text messages. Had an in-law who missed his result and only spotted it 6 days after it was sent to him. He reckons he must have dismissed the notification

Tell them to double check their text messages. Had an in-law who missed his result and only spotted it 6 days after it was sent to him. He reckons he must have dismissed the notification

One of them last rang yesterday and their results were still pending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

One of them last rang yesterday and their results were still pending.

Didnt they say a few days ago that the backlog was completed. Either way it looks like whatever they had was mild and they didnt need and hospitalisation but it would be nice to know the results

The prom was featured on the RTE News this evening, including an interview with a couple from... Tuam.

https://www.facebook.com/813374252150975/posts/1521101811378212/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The prom was featured on the RTE News this evening, including an interview with a couple from... Tuam.

https://www.facebook.com/813374252150975/posts/1521101811378212/

Saw that. Real Sham accents on them as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm-news-desk/city-council-and-gardai-to-review-whether-more-stringent-action-is-needed-in-salthill
    The Chief Executive of Galway City Council says the local authority, in conjunction with the Gardai, will need to review whether more stringent action should be taken in Salthill.

It comes following reports that people are continuing to travel more than 2 kilometres from their home to walk along the promenade.
    Groups of people have also been found having picnics on the area’s beaches.

The promenade is currently only open to people who live within 2 kilometres of it – for the purpose of exercising.

How come the Salthill prom is being kept open to local residents (at great effort) yet Barna Woods, Cappagh Park, Merlin Woods etc are closed to local residents in those areas?

Anything to do with most of the current city councillors having the promenade within their 2km...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do counsellors live within the red area?

2kms from Leisureland
    https://2kmfromhome.com/
    2kms.png

biko wrote: »

2kms from Leisureland
    2kms.png

Some do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Some do

Move your map centre to blackrock and you have nearly all knocknacarra within 2k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭Sconsey

How come the Salthill prom is being kept open to local residents (at great effort) yet Barna Woods, Cappagh Park, Merlin Woods etc are closed to local residents in those areas?

Anything to do with most of the current city councillors having the promenade within their 2km...?

Maybe because it is easier to close those areas off? Mind you the council have gome to great lenghts to block parking on the prom.

Either way I seriously doubt the policy is based on a local councillor wanting to be able to go for a nice walk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

saabsaab wrote: »
    Move your map centre to blackrock and you have nearly all knocknacarra within 2k.

Must be 15000 plus people in range of prom 2k radius, Salthill, Claddagh, Knocknacarra, Taylors hill etc it is bound to be busy.

• Advertisement

2kms from Leisureland
    2kms.png

From the 16 listed here, I count 9 that have the prom (or part of) within their 2km...
    Sconsey wrote: »
    Maybe because it is easier to close those areas off? Mind you the council have gome to great lenghts to block parking on the prom.

The prom would be easy to close, barriers perpendicular to the path every 20m... requires less barriers than the current setup. Anyone ignoring it would be much more visible than woods, parks... easier to police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

2kms from Leisureland
    2kms.png

Why just focus on Cllrs? Should focus here not actually be on the actual decision makers - the Executive of Galway City.

The Chief Executive of Galway City Council would need to add a few NOUGHTS though to that URL (2kmfromhome.com) to be "living" within the red area.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

brutes1 wrote: »
    Must be 15000 plus people in range of prom 2k radius, Salthill, Claddagh, Knocknacarra, Taylors hill etc it is bound to be busy.

Parts of Rahoon + Shantalla as well are in 2km zone. Great tool that "2kmfromhome.com"

From the 16 listed here, I count 9 that have the prom (or part of) within their 2km...

And of the 2 seats waiting to be filled, one was within the catchment. 10/18

Sconsey wrote: »

Either way I seriously doubt the policy is based on a local councillor wanting to be able to go for a nice walk.

By all accounts exactly the same approach is being taken with Barna woods (from a friend who I spoke to yesterday). Locals are walking there every day. They've taken steps to block entrances but locals seem to be grand and not being told to go.

If people are social distancing, what is the problem with them sitting for a few mins? I saw a couple down on the rocks obviously gone for a walk and having a takeaway coffee. Not being funny, but how is this dangerous if it is quiet down there? This is a very different thing from the gang of lads having a buckie fest with speakers etc another time. But they will chance this anywhere, no matter legal or not.

inisboffin wrote: »
    By all accounts exactly the same approach is being taken with Barna woods (from a friend who I spoke to yesterday). Locals are walking there every day. They've taken steps to block entrances but locals seem to be grand and not being told to go.

You see this is what's irritating me. Barna Woods is meant to be closed for all. They have even put closed signs at small pedestrian-only entrances that have no car parking.

As you say a lot of locals are now using the woods, walking past the closed signs. We would love to be using the woods too but we're sticking to the guidelines, like schmucks. :( Feels like we've lost that community solidarity where everyone was putting up with the same restrictions. Same applies to Silver Strand.

I would much prefer a locals-only policy and block off all parking. Just like the locals in Salthill have been afforded. These closures are City Council policies, going beyond the government guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If people are social distancing, what is the problem with them sitting for a few mins? I saw a couple down on the rocks obviously gone for a walk and having a takeaway coffee. Not being funny, but how is this dangerous if it is quiet down there? This is a very different thing from the gang of lads having a buckie fest with speakers etc another time. But they will chance this anywhere, no matter legal or not.

I understand what you're saying... but other people will see Tom & Mary sitting on the rocks having a takeaway coffee and decide that they will do the same. A few days later then there will be more people sitting on the rocks or walking the prom. Then social distancing becomes very tricky. So either you need Gardai to limit numbers on the prom (which would be silly) or they just close the prom entirely.

I understand what you're saying... but other people will see Tom & Mary sitting on the rocks having a takeaway coffee and decide that they will do the same. A few days later then there will be more people sitting on the rocks or walking the prom. Then social distancing becomes very tricky. So either you need Gardai to limit numbers on the prom (which would be silly) or they just close the prom entirely.

I wish we all had some cop on. Tom and Mary just looked they got off work and were having a 5 min break. There was nobody around them for a good bit.
    To me it's common sense to stay away from busy areas (walk elsewhere) or walk when it's very quiet early morning or late night. I would have stopped myself mid walk the other night and watch a bit of the sunset, but chose not to as there was a group nearby. I walked down further and stopped for a few mins and not a soul passed me (past Grattan beach)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

I wish we all had some cop on. Tom and Mary just looked they got off work and were having a 5 min break. There was nobody around them for a good bit.
    To me it's common sense to stay away from busy areas (walk elsewhere) or walk when it's very quiet early morning or late night. I would have stopped myself mid walk the other night and watch a bit of the sunset, but chose not to as there was a group nearby. I walked down further and stopped for a few mins and not a soul passed me (past Grattan beach)

Yes common sense approach and very lacking these days. People have way too much time on their hands. Time for the country to get back to work and school + the health services to manage those ill or at risk. Government needs to show some leadership on the future as opposed to just threatening people with more restriction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

brutes1 wrote: »
    ...Time for the country to get back to work and school + the health services to manage those ill or at risk. Government needs to show some leadership on the future as opposed to just threatening people with more restriction.

In other words, I'm all right Jack and to hell with everyone else. Lovely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

?Cee?view wrote: »
    In other words, I'm all right Jack and to hell with everyone else. Lovely.

There seems to be a lot more people with this attitude coming out of the woodwork lately, there's a serious case of complacency setting in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Kingp35 wrote: »
    There seems to be a lot more people with this attitude coming out of the woodwork lately, there's a serious case of complacency setting in.

I would say people need to get back on with their lives. It's time now . Can't keep people and kids on lockdown need a future. Let those ill or at risk be cared by the health services and those who wish to cocoon do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

youngrun wrote: »
    I would say people need to get back on with their lives. It's time now . Can't keep people and kids on lockdown need a future. Let those ill or at risk be cared by the health services and those who wish to cocoon do so.

And if the health services become over loaded, what's your suggestion then?

Re read what you wrote youngrun

Saying “let people back to their lives” and “let ill....wish to cocoon....” is by definition completely contradicting yourself

• Advertisement

I think a lot of people are getting frustrated with mixed messages. A friend's Mother is cocooning in another city and gets HSE help each week. The carer doesn't wear a mask nor gloves nor social distance. That might change this week but the carer is telling the woman that 'she's grand' and her son isn't visiting because he's afraid. NOT the case.

People are asking Gardai about walking (on the prom, in the woods etc) and are being told it's ok for locals, yet on here it's much debated and signs are misleading.

The wearing of cloth masks, the spraying of trollies in Galway. No real consistency shop to shop either.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

And if the health services become over loaded, what's your suggestion then?

Ah its grand, in that case if you're over 65, or a smoker, or just less likely to be able to fight off the infection then you're left to draw your last slow and agonising breath alone, unable to be seen by or even see your family and loved ones before you die, while the previous respirators are prioritised for those with the best chance of survival, all because some lovely people needed to go for a walk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I think a lot of people are getting frustrated with mixed messages.

Agreed. It's very simple. People need a roadmap with specific metrics that they can visualise and target. For example...'if the R0 gets below 0.5, we will relax <insert restriction>'. The simplistic 'flatten the curve' mantra has run it's course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

Why did nobody think of this plan before? Let the ill people be cared for by the health service! Brilliant :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I would say people need to get back on with their lives. It's time now . Can't keep people and kids on lockdown need a future.
    Yeah, can't have the kids missing their summer holidays just to save older people's lives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement