Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The prom (COVID closed 31 March 2020, reopened 18 May)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Dedicated cycle lane to be implemented along the prom. Will remove all of the parking along it. That should go a long way towards solving the issues there at the moment

https://galwaydaily.com/news/dedicated-cycle-lane-being-created-at-salthill-prom/

Good time to do it now while there is no body on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,900 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Dedicated cycle lane to be implemented along the prom. Will remove all of the parking along it. That should go a long way towards solving the issues there at the moment

https://galwaydaily.com/news/dedicated-cycle-lane-being-created-at-salthill-prom/

Implementation looks poor - this is Galway City Council though....

https://twitter.com/GalwayCycling/status/1250436775501168643

• Registered Users Posts: 23,773 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Higgins says traffic cones all along by Thurs evening, no?

More interestingly, was anyone else aware of this pilot plan?
    “While this has been in the offing for a while now with the council planning to remove up to 90 car spaces on the prom to allow for a pilot cycle lane, the current pandemic has acted as a catalyst to speed things up”.

zell12 wrote: »
    More interestingly, was anyone else aware of this pilot plan?

Its going to form part of the greenway/cycleway from Spiddal to Oranmore as part of the Galway Transport Strategy

509718.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Very strange. Is that meant to be a 2-way cycle lane?

Surely that's just to block parking and they're spinning it off as also being cycling infrastructure?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

It's an effective deterrant for cars parking, seems like a really poor implementation of a cycle lane.

The fact that the railing keeps the cyclist hemmed in, means faster cyclists cannot overtake slower ones so potential bunching up of cyclists. It also means the cyclist cannot practically keep a good distance from pedestrians if they are walking close to the edge of the path. Any time I am cycling on that road, these days, it is simple enough to just veer out to the centre of the road to keep my distance from pedestrians that are trying to keep their distance from other pedestrians (phew).

...anyway, bollix to that supposed cycle lane, I'l be sticking to the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Sconsey wrote: »

...anyway, bollix to that supposed cycle lane, I'l be sticking to the road.

Build us cycle lanes and we will use them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Storm 10

City Council was on Keith Finegan just now and said it's not a cycle lane the barriers were moved out from the footpath to deter motorists from parking beside the barriers, they are not putting in a cycle lane and the barriers will be removed when the restrictions are over, the barriers are an accident waiting to happen all they needed to do was put out Garda no parking cones.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    .........all they needed to do was put out Garda no parking cones.
    They put out cones before, but they are simply moved by errant motorists

They should have ran proper site fences the length of the prom to block it off same as they have done in blackrock. That would put a stop to the idiots walking on it despite being told repeatedly its closed.

• Advertisement

They should have ran proper fences the length of the prom to block it off same as they have done in black rock.
    produced by Cllr Noel Larkin's company maybe?

Storm 10 wrote: »
    City Council was on Keith Finegan just now and said it's not a cycle lane the barriers were moved out from the footpath to deter motorists from parking beside the barriers, they are not putting in a cycle lane and the barriers will be removed when the restrictions are over, the barriers are an accident waiting to happen all they needed to do was put out Garda no parking cones.

So Cllr. Higgins trying to get credit for a cycle lane when that's not what's actually happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭M three

They should have ran proper site fences the length of the prom to block it off same as they have done in blackrock. That would put a stop to the idiots walking on it despite being told repeatedly its closed.

What a load of heavy handed nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

M three wrote: »
    What a load of heavy handed nonsense.

Why is it nonsense? There are still people walking on it. Are these people and all innocent people, who through no fault of their own, come in contact with them, immune from Covid-19?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Why is it nonsense? There are still people walking on it. Are these people and all innocent people, who through no fault of their own, come in contact with them, immune from Covid-19?

These are the filthy hordes whose daddy doesn't own THE LAND.

?Cee?view wrote: »

If your within 2km of your home what harm is been done

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some bicker removed. Keep it civil folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If your within 2km of your home what harm is been done

Rather than focus on the specific rule keep in mind the point: social distancing to avoid spreading the virus. If you can get up early and take a walk nearly alone with minimal risk then fine. If you cannot maintain adequate social distancing because it's too busy you should avoid it.

If we could all agree on that perhaps most of us could move on.

https://twitter.com/CloHiggins/status/1250857644069400577?s=19

https://twitter.com/CloHiggins/status/1250857852840927232?s=19

https://twitter.com/CloHiggins/status/1250857972852502528?s=19

From someone claiming to be spearheading the operation to vague intention to future action, subject to terms and conditions.

Hopefully all the local representatives that ran with the "news" of a cycle lane along the prom yesterday do help push it forward when things get back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I had to go out for diesel yesterday and decided to drive along the prom in salthill on the way home. I was astonished at the number of people walking, running and cycling along it. There were people swimming, sitting on the beach and doing any other activity you could normally do down there. People walking along eating ice creams! The only indication that something different was going on was that they have had to erect barriers and traffic cones along the full length of the prom from mutton Island to BlackRock to stop people driving there to exercise. They also had to block off the diving board.
    At one point I saw 4 different groups of people align, shoulder to shoulder. There was everything from single people to small groups and families with young kids and babies.

I was gob smacked to say the least.

We are being told we might not get out of lockdown in may either and when I saw this yesterday I know why. We need a Spanish style lockdown for a good month and then we might actually get out again. With this lame, half hearted effort we could be locked in for months.

• Advertisement

Galway needs rain! Make it rain!

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/CloHiggins/status/1250857644069400577?s=19

https://twitter.com/CloHiggins/status/1250857852840927232?s=19

https://twitter.com/CloHiggins/status/1250857972852502528?s=19

From someone claiming to be spearheading the operation to vague intention to future action, subject to terms and conditions.

Hopefully all the local representatives that ran with the "news" of a cycle lane along the prom yesterday do help push it forward when things get back to normal.

A CC getting her information & facts wrong again

I had to go out for diesel yesterday and decided to drive along the prom in salthill on the way home. I was astonished at the number of people walking, running and cycling along it. There were people swimming, sitting on the beach and doing any other activity you could normally do down there. People walking along eating ice creams! The only indication that something different was going on was that they have had to erect barriers and traffic cones along the full length of the prom from mutton Island to BlackRock to stop people driving there to exercise. They also had to block off the diving board.
    At one point I saw 4 different groups of people align, shoulder to shoulder. There was everything from single people to small groups and families with young kids and babies.

I was gob smacked to say the least.

We are being told we might not get out of lockdown in may either and when I saw this yesterday I know why. We need a Spanish style lockdown for a good month and then we might actually get out again. With this lame, half hearted effort we could be locked in for months.

And you have people posting in here who obviously have no issue with it just gong by their reactions to my posts looking for it to be totally blocked off. But they like all the people you saw just aren’t taking it seriously enough and I really can’t understand how they are not at this stage.

People need to stay at home, stay away from parks, stay away from green areas, keep kids in their house or garden no playing whatsoever ideally kids should not leave their own property as they can’t be fully controlled from what I see, prom closed and blocked (fines for going there), beeches closed and blocked (fines for going there), estates patrolled and fines for being in green areas, checkpoints 24/7 on any route with traffic questioning and checking home address and fines for breaching, any cyclist in full cycling gear immediately fined as they are very obviously breaking the 2km rule (gps to be checked to confirm if they have one etc. Repeat offenders cell for the night and a court summons etc etc.

This is what’s needed to further slow down the spread of the virus but as can be see around the city and in this thread from posters people are pig ignorant and won’t do what they are told. Banning exercise totally may be the next step that’s needed imo, only leaving home for shopping (once a week) or other essential reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

any cyclist in full cycling gear immediately fined as they are very obviously breaking the 2km rule

Huh? :confused:

Have the government said what people can or can not wear whilst briefly exercising within a 2 km radius of their home, or if commuting by bike to and from essential work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Have the government said what people can or can not wear whilst briefly exercising within a 2 km radius of their home, or if commuting by bike to and from essential work?

The point being that you probably don't need to get into full gear to cycle 2 Kms. Must people who cycle to work probably don't wear full gear either. If they are going to work they should be able to back this up with a permission letter.

Why do people have such opposition to trying to get this thing done as quickly as possible.

The point being that you probably don't need to get into full gear to cycle 2 Kms. Must people who cycle to work probably don't wear full gear either. If they are going to work they should be able to back this up with a permission letter.

Why do people have such opposition to trying to get this thing done as quickly as possible.

*sigh*

I am not opposed to trying to get this done as quickly as possible.

The point I was trying to make is that the statement that 'a cyclist in full cycling gear is very obviously breaking the 2 km rule' is utterly stupid.

I am seeing quite a few cyclists in full training gear on fairly high end road bikes etc. There isn't a hope they are staying within two km of home. The areas I'm seeing them in also would not be people commuting, country areas etc (not that I'd expect anyone commuting to be in full training gear etc anyway).

Most have gps watches or trackers on their bike anyway so very easy to check their route, I've heard that guards are doing this but I dont know if that's true or not.

I am seeing quite a few cyclists in full training gear on fairly high end road bikes etc. There isn't a hope they are staying within two km of home. The areas I'm seeing them in also would not be people commuting, country areas etc (not that I'd expect anyone commuting to be in full training gear etc anyway).

Most have gps watches or trackers on their bike anyway so very easy to check their route, I've heard that guards are doing this but I dont know if that's true or not.

If the Gardaí stop a cyclist and find out that they are not briefly exercising within a 2 km radius of their home, or they are not commuting for essential work or any of the other reasons outlined by the Government, then I would like them to be fined/arrested. I am p*ssed off that there are probably people out there breaking the restrictions.

But as I said already, the assertion that cyclists should be fined because they are wearing cycling gear is utterly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Every morning I do 30 minutes on my bike in cycling gear, I stay within my 2km and keep it brief. I do it very early to avoid crowds and then that's my exercise done for the day and I stay inside. I don't feel I should be categorised the wrong way for doing this.

When you see walkers in running shoes do you assume these are the same as the runners out doing marathons for 4 hours? Point is its not right to tarnish a full group of people because of a handful of idiots.

However I would agree that the excerise rule needs to be better clarified because I see people posting up cycles for 4 or 5 hours and thinking it's OK because they keep inside the 2km radius.

This thread shouldn't descend into a cycling bashing thread, as above posts it's cyclist, walkers, runners all flaunting the rules on the prom

• Advertisement

Log onto Strava and you’ll see a load of cyclists and runners doing massive loops of the city/county

Advertisement